• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Stadia sounds interesting, but seems like no exclusives at launch? no teases even?

Just makes Xbox's shopping spree look better in hindsight. With similar tech performance (hopefully MS can match google's ambitions), xbox has better backlog/service for old users, and (hopefully interesting and imminent) exclusives. E3 will be interesting.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Quick question regarding the Xbox One OS.

Why does my console keep changing my language to german? And this only applies to the games, the OS stays as english.

Edit. I just checked, everything is in english, and when I boot a game (MCC, it suggests I download a english pack, I do so and the game is still in german?!)

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Stadia sounds interesting, but seems like no exclusives at launch? no teases even?

Just makes Xbox's shopping spree look better in hindsight. With similar tech performance (hopefully MS can match google's ambitions), xbox has better backlog/service for old users, and (hopefully interesting and imminent) exclusives. E3 will be interesting.

Yeah I was expecting a lot more, it's struck me that ever since google announced project stream MS has had to go up a gear in terms of prepping for google and what they may have, I imagine after this they're feeling a lot better with where they are.

E3 is gonna be super interesting now, I think after this the main focus will be on XCloud where they will address things like latency and bandwidth.

Also I'm throwing out my previous assumption about MS buying two/three more studios and now I'm going with as many as five, with Google's 1st party clearly still in its infancy I think they'll now break out the wallet to lock out Google from as much potential content as possible.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah I was expecting a lot more, it's struck me that ever since google announced project stream MS has had to go up a gear in terms of prepping for google and what they may have, I imagine after this they're feeling a lot better with where they are.

E3 is gonna be super interesting now, I think after this the main focus will be on XCloud where they will address things like latency and bandwidth.

Also I'm throwing out my previous assumption about MS buying two/three more studios and now I'm going with as many as five, with Google's 1st party clearly still in its infancy I think they'll now break out the wallet to lock out Google from as much potential content as possible.
Xcloud isn't coming out this year though, right? MS might have the power of the Xbox library to pull from, but Stadia has immediacy. Any link on Google Chrome, Youtube, or Android can immediately drop you into a Stadia game.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
European Commission investigating amazon's dual role as marketplace and retailer

We'll see what the European Commission will say about youtube and Stadia then. Can't imagine them putting up a link to 'play now' for xCloud for Microsoft videos as well. I do think youtube is Google's biggest asset. It has a monopoly over video content, I'd say. This is speaking about the broad masses and not gaming enthusiasts who will know Twitch and Mixer.

Still, nothing to fear for Microsoft if they can respect people's ecosystem purchases and make them available for xCloud. They'll have to offer a nice package and good pricing and I don't think we'll hear about that on Wednesday yet.

Last edited:

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Xcloud isn't coming out this year though, right? MS might have the power of the Xbox library to pull from, but Stadia has immediacy. Any link on Google Chrome, Youtube, or Android can immediately drop you into a Stadia game.

Well Kareem said on Inside that they'll be having public trials later this year, I imagine they're aiming for fall/late 2019, partly to get out ahead of Amazon (who are reported to be launching their service in early 2020).

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
The next five years will be interesting in the gaming sphere... between Mircrosoft's growth in the Xbox division, Google joining in with a streaming service, and who knows what Sony and Nintendo will be up to.

Never been a better time to be a gamer, honestly (aside from all the EPIC store shenanigans).

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Watching the digital foundry video, the tech seems to work well enough. People are underestimating immediacy and access. We're on YouTube so often anyway. Everyone is still in the same place on mobile, though Google owning play store will be a big deal. Lots of advertising for AAA games on mobile now?

That said, I don't go to video sites because I want to do anything gaming related usually. Maybe Cortana on edge or desktop could provide that same push to the end user. Now that it's going to share a lot of code base with Chrome, I hope features like that stick around.

Anyway, I don't think this is DOA, but I also think it depends on how easy it is for developers to get involved. Are these standard PC versions of games? Or is every one a bespoke UWP-like entity? If it's the first, MS should accelerate 1st party or do some sort of announcement to go with xCloud news. If it's the second, Google will be abandoning this in a year and a half.

Edit: guys, looking at the wall of partners for stadia.. Just realized I see simplygon and visual studio and havok on that wall. Interesting how Microsoft probably knew much more about this much earlier than I would have thought. Unless there was really really strict compartmentalization.

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Worth mentioning that X Clouds stated target is 10 mbps, and Project Stream required 20 mbps. Obviously latency is the much more important number here, over bandwidth, but still, Microsoft is clearly very ambitious when it comes to X Clouds targets.

I'm also not confident that Stadia will have exclusives, at least not third party ones, and definitely not right off. Maybe Google intenral studio will make stadia only games.

I'd frankly be surprised if any game streaming service opened with exclusives that you could only play via stream. You're eliminating a big chunk of the market that can't or doesn't want to stream.

Even video streaming didn't start off with exclusives, Netflix was around for a while before they put out their first. I know there's value to being first to market or whatever, but I imagine Google and Microsoft will focus on making the best streaming service they can that works on as many devices in as many conditions as possible to begin with. Then once video game streaming is wide spread and accepted, then we start seeing "Only on Stadia" and "Only on X-Cloud"

Last edited:

Demileto

Apr 23, 2018

Not just Microsoft but Sony, Nintendo and Valve would also all be smart to go into a studio buying spree to lock out Google from as much potential content as possible.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Worth mentioning that X Clouds stated target is 10 mbps, and Project Stream required 20 mbps. Obviously latency is the much more important number here, over bandwidth, but still, Microsoft is clearly very ambitious when it comes to X Clouds targets.

I'm also not confident that Stadia will have exclusives, at least not third party ones, and definitely not right off. Maybe Google intenral studio will make stadia only games.

I'd frankly be surprised if any game streaming service opened with exclusives that you could only play via stream. You're eliminating a big chunk of the market that can't or doesn't want to stream.

Even video streaming didn't start off with exclusives, Netflix was around for a while before they put out their first. I know there's value to being first to market or whatever, but I imagine Google and Microsoft will focus on making the best streaming service they can that works on as many devices in as many conditions as possible to begin with. Then once video game streaming is wide spread and accepted, then we start seeing "Only on Stadia" and "Only on X-Cloud"

Exclusives don't have to sell well, they just have to entice people to use your platform. A lot of exclusives are made Knowing that they might up costing the company, but if those exclusives are able to turn enough heads to look at Stadia, then their goal is accomplished.

And if you can't steam, Google doesn't care because you've already been eliminated from both their and their competitors' potential markets.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
Klobrille Which studios could become a piece of MS's family? (Your thoughts)?

Remedy
IO
4a
From software
Relic

Any chance to hear more info before E3 2019?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Exclusives don't have to sell well, they just have to entice people to use your platform. A lot of exclusives are made Knowing that they might up costing the company, but if those exclusives are able to turn enough heads to look at Stadia, then their goal is accomplished.

And if you can't steam, Google doesn't care because you've already been eliminated from both their and their competitors' potential markets.

I see your point, but I feel like games is a bit different, because of the potential for long running series. If Stadia has an exclusive that I can only stream, and Xbox has something I can stream or play local, and I chose Xbox and become a diehard fan of that series, I'm now linked to Xbox for the future. I guess we'll see, but I'm skeptical that exclusive will materialize right away. I think convenience is gonna be the first major factor, then once everyone and their mother is already subscribed to one streaming service or another, start putting more emphasis on exclusives to keep people from switching or canceling their service.

Plus, if the first iteration of a beloved series is available to play however, and then later iterations are stream only, that helps build a customer base too. We already see that with game pass where a lot of publishers are putting older games in a series on there, but not the most recent entries.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Not just Microsoft but Sony, Nintendo and Valve would also all be smart to go into a studio buying spree to lock out Google from as much potential content as possible.

IMO all Google really needs is EA, Activison and Ubisoft on board and allowing streaming of their games and that nullifies any spending spree from the big three for the sort of person that buys FIFA, CoD and AC every year. I also don't want to see moneyhat wars start as google is obviously in the mood to fight.

They also have a unique advantage over the others in that they own Youtube and can push users from there straight to their streaming service. Netflix, Spotify etc show us the average consumer i.e not us on forums like this care more about convenience than anything else.

I don't do it personally but I see people playing Fortnite and PUBG on their tablets and mobiles all the time like it's nothing.

Demileto

Apr 23, 2018
IMO all Google really needs is EA, Activison and Ubisoft on board and allowing streaming of their games and that nullifies any spending spree from the big three for the sort of person that buys FIFA, CoD and AC every year. I also don't want to see moneyhat wars start as google is obviously in the mood to fight.

Moneyhat wars are inevitable, Netflix and their relationship with Disney, Warner and others have told us that already. Game streaming is in its infancy and all three publishers mentioned have more than enough muscle to build their own streaming platforms, Google has no guarantee that they'll forever be on board with Stadia.

They also have a unique advantage over the others in that they own Youtube and can push users from there straight to their streaming service. Netflix, Spotify etc show us the average consumer i.e not us on forums like this care more about convenience than anything else.

A unique advantage that adds up to the antitrust cases piling up on Google's head, heh.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
So, what stadia offers to developers seems impressive, unlimited game size, up to 8k resolution, 60 FPS and more.
I wonder who will Xcloud will compare considering that it is build to run Xbox one games, it will be limited by the console unlike the seamenly unlimited Google server.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
So, what stadia offers to developers seems impressive, unlimited game size, up to 8k resolution, 60 FPS and more.
I wonder who will Xcloud will compare considering that it is build to run Xbox one games, it will be limited by the console unlike the seamenly unlimited Google server.
I'd assume Xcloud will immediately have a much larger library (assuming most, if not all Xbox One compatible games will be compatible with Xcloud). Not to mention this service will evolve alongside the Xbox hardware, especially if Google is touting such numbers already.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
The Google Stadia thing actually has me that much more excited for what Xbox will be doing. Their tech was definitely interesting, and no doubt the computing power in the cloud can do some cool stuff in the future. And this competition should push Microsoft to make xCloud that much better for those who like the Xbox ecosystem, and I even suspect that them announcing the formation of a first party games studio could result in Xbox investing even more into studios. BUT it is ultimately all about games content and options for me as a gamer. And Xbox is running laps around them for me given that I will be getting awesome game IPs like Halo to play on a seriously powerful local Anaconda next generation Xbox console, Game Pass with all of their exclusive game content and other games, and of course xCloud where I can also stream my Xbox games other places when I want to.

DntSpwnOnMe

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question regarding the Xbox One OS.

Why does my console keep changing my language to german? And this only applies to the games, the OS stays as english.

Edit. I just checked, everything is in english, and when I boot a game (MCC, it suggests I download a english pack, I do so and the game is still in german?!)
I think the OS changes the language based on your region. I lived in Germany for a few years and had the same problem.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The Google Stadia thing actually has me that much more excited for what Xbox will be doing. Their tech was definitely interesting, and no doubt the computing power in the cloud can do some cool stuff in the future. And this competition should push Microsoft to make xCloud that much better for those who like the Xbox ecosystem, and I even suspect that them announcing the formation of a first party games studio could result in Xbox investing even more into studios. BUT it is ultimately all about games content and options for me as a gamer. And Xbox is running laps around them for me given that I will be getting awesome game IPs like Halo to play on a seriously powerful local Anaconda next generation Xbox console, Game Pass with all of their exclusive game content and other games, and of course xCloud where I can also stream my Xbox games other places when I want to.

this!

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Do you have insider info on what xCloud will be all about? Not poking at you, serious question.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With xCloud I always assumed there would be an app. But I wonder if they will (either now Stadia has been launched, or was always in the plan) support Chromium with it to get on as many devices as possible?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am interested to see how MS react after the stadium stuff. In reality, nothing was shown that MS could not replicate. Plus they have their own huge backbone of data centers. I guess their main thing would be to show actual games on it.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Wish MS bought Splash Damage and Ruffian as permanent support studio's.
Splash Damage are working on three different projects for Microsoft now (Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Halo MCC) - is there any other external game developer that works so closely together with MS? Meanwhile Splash Damage's parent company is diversifying into mobile games and film/TV. Also five current senior staff members of SD and their former CEO started an investment firm (Supernova) that acquired a game developer (Flying Wild Hog). I wouldn't be surprised if MS bought Splash Damage or if they spun off their "Microsoft unit".

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I think people are over estimating the size and goodness of Google cloud, just because Google is king of search and phones, doesn't meantl they're king of clouds. As of 2018, they were number 3 behind AWS and Azure, but they still only held something like 5% of the market.

That doesn't translate exactly to datacenters, but chances are wherever you are, the closest data center to you is gonna be Azure or AWS. Google has some advantages with AI and containers, but in terms of latency, they're gonna be losing to Microsoft and Amazon for a while yet.

Razdek

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why MS is launching Xcloud with crappy Xbox One S hardware. It should have at least been Xbox One X. First impressions for users is going to be crappy 900p-720p worst versions of every multiplatform games.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I never understood why MS is launching Xcloud with crappy Xbox One S hardware. It should have at least been Xbox One X. First impressions for users is going to be crappy 900p-720p worst versions of every multiplatform games.
https://mobile.twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1108157466255216640
As jez said doing so means zero effort for the developers. Make your game for Xbox. Microsoft flips a switch and it runs on xcloud.
Besides the fact that the 2019 version will be the beta version and the full product launches in 2020. So the Xbox one version is beta and the andaconda one is official.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
They said they're starting public trials later this year and I'd guess that by the time xcloud is fully out to the public, the next gen of Xbox will be out and it won't be much longer after that before they transition completely to that hardware for their servers. I'd guess they're just using the cheaper xbox one s hardware right now in testing just to make sure everything is working correctly and as intended. It would be much cheaper than putting Xbox one X consoles in there which will be obsolete in literally a years time.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
lol yeah, xcloud will always stay at xbox one s hardware specs. especially when we are about to transition into the next-gen of hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.