• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Wasteland 2 is unplayable on consoles, the dialogue is too fking small, but the game is great on PC and I'll be looking forward to Wasteland 3

Wasteland 3 at E3 and day one Gamepass?

Also I expect Wasteland 3's production values to go through the roof since they aren't relying on kickstarter money anymore.

You have to remember the game probably spent most of its development time funded by Kickstarter though, i've no doubt Phil's cheques will improve the title but would be cautious about expecting too much from something mostly developed without it

Jan 4, 2018
I wouldn't be suprised if Rare bring back Perfect Dark as an Immersive Sim, like they originally intended Core to be.

Huge focus on the single player

Make PD a single-player focused game would be a mistake in my opinion.
Both single player and multiplayer were equally important in PD and PDZ (and the multiplayer was actually what made PDZ a popular game during X360 early years).

It would be like making Halo a single player game with a poor or no multiplayer at all.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not specifically Obsidian, but any unannounced acquisitions that may be privy to that information which is surely available around GDC.
Doubt its much. Dont think Sony is holding meetings about PS5 at GDC with info etc.
Like i said. Think the circle is small. When its getting bigger we get the leaks about power etc.

Aug 23, 2018
I think we'll see Sea of Thieves supported ala Minecraft for some time into the new console generation. As long as there is a big enough player base, and the soonish release of micro transactions will help.

Rare should continue to work on what they'd like- whether it's new IP or revisiting old.

However, MS is absolutely sitting on a gold mine of old Rare IP. Whether or not Rare themselves help handle the development with another studio (like battletoads) or MSGP partners with someone, I really hope we see something more than Killer Instinct next gen. A Viva Pinanta remake for mobile/Switch/Xbox is the very definition of easy money. Anything done with Banjo that can reach Nintendo fans is also a no-brainer. A reimagined Jet Force Gemini done with the care of the Ratchet and Clank reboot would be awesome. Perfect Dark 2 as a Deus Ex or Splinter Cell-like game would be a dream. Kameo, Conker, the list goes on and on. In the past I could see MS being gunshy on funding these types of projects, but now with GamePass I'm hoping we see some of these get the green light.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This April 1st post actually is April fool's joke, partially. Never heard Gears Tactics would be port to Switch.

But Super Lucky's Tale is confirmed.

Yeah like i said when i read Gears Tactics i knew it was a april fools joke. If you only had said Ori 2 and Super Lucky Tales i probably would have believed it.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Those trips to Japan really hope it results in a meeting with Itagaki. Such a waste opportunity given the relationship they had and the talent Itagaki have.

Jan 4, 2018
Deus Ex Human Revolution as the template or Dishonoured.

I think Rare could succeed where those failed as well

Hitman Absolution, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, Dead Space 3.. These games tried to change the formula/genre they were known for (when it was not required at all) : they failed or (almost) killed the IP.

Moreover, I read that Deus Ex MD sales were somewhat disappointing. If there is a new PD, I expect it being a shooter with optionnal stealth elements (like PD 64) and a multiplayer with its own identity (like PDZ).

I don't think that MS would risk another Nuts & Bolts disaster.

Aug 23, 2018
Hitman Absolution, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, Dead Space 3.. These games tried to change the formula/genre they were known for (when it was not required at all) : they failed or (almost) killed the IP.

Moreover, I read that Deus Ex MD sales were somewhat disappointing. If there is a new PD, I expect it being a shooter with optionnal stealth elements (like PD 64) and a multiplayer with its own identity (like PDZ).

I don't think that MS would risk another Nuts & Bolts disaster.

It's been almost 15 years since the last Perfect Dark game. A new entry in the series would almost definitely have more new fans than existing ones. MS could bring it back however they want without have the fan pushback that the 3 franchises you mention had.

Personally I would rather see it as a 3rd person stealth title rather than another shooter. MS doesn't have one of those in their portfolio yet.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
You have to remember the game probably spent most of its development time funded by Kickstarter though, i've no doubt Phil's cheques will improve the title but would be cautious about expecting too much from something mostly developed without it

I'm not expecting any massive overhaul but I imagine they don't have to worry about QA, internal testing, patches etc so I imagine that it'll have polish that it wouldn't have had if MS wasn't inXile's new sugar daddy

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Itagaki. Such a waste opportunity given the relationship they had and the talent Itagaki have.

Eww..maybe if this was 2004 but after Devils Turd MS needs to stay away from him, dude is damaged goods

Phil should be talking to Koei, Sega and Square to get Nioh/2 the Yakuza games, KH Story so far and Persona on the platform

Hell putting those games on Game Pass would send subs through the roof (unlikely to happen but you never know)

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Eww..maybe if this was 2004 but after Devils Third MS needs to stay away from him, dude is damaged goods

Phil should be talking to Koei, Sega and Square to get Nioh/2 the Yakuza games, KH Story so far and Persona on the platform

Hell putting those games on Game Pass would send subs through the roof (unlikely to happen but you never know)

You can't just dismiss the guy for one bad game. That's stupid.

As for the rest I agree. They should make more more effort into getting those game on Xbox instead of wasting money and resources into games like Crackdown and what not.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I think a high budget sequel to Banjo would be killer. With a high production value, strong marketing it would be a great game for the Xbox eco system and give MS a high platformer game that it is lacking.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what Phil is currently up to in Japan/ Korea.. How many deals have been signed? Any acquisitions? E3 can't come soon enough. :)

I think a high budget sequel to Banjo would be killer. With a high production value, strong marketing it would be a great game for the Xbox eco system and give MS a high platformer game that it is lacking.
A proper Banjo game given the right budget and dev team could be something special.

Last edited:

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
I don't understand why people are so keen on seeing remakes and sequels. I doubt most of those old Rare IPs are still relevant enough to justify big budget sequels and priority over new projects. I really hope that Microsoft is prepping a boom of new experiences, gamaplay concepts, worlds and characters. My bet is that most studios will work on new stuff: Rare, Ninja Theory, InXile, Compulsion...

Rare I has multiple new IPs going on as we speak. At least 2 as of I know today.

I think its wide knowledge at this point that Ninja Theory is making a game called Bleeding Edge or at least that's the name that's being thrown around. Not sure if its actual title or a codename.

As for old Rare IPs. I have good relations with Rare. From what I understood with my previous conversation I had with them and talks, older IPs would be handled by different studios if something was to be made or rebooted. A good example of that is last year's announced Battletoads. A game that's supervised by Rare but NOT developed by Rare.

But as a company themselves, they want to strictly focus on new things.

EDIT - if mods want physical proof of my relationship with Rare feel free to PM.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
While I don't think we'll see a ton of new announcements at E3 (and anyone who does are setting themselves up for failure) I think we will get a lot of info on stuff announced, for everything 1st party related I'm expecting:

Gears 5
Ori 2
Battletoads
Age of Empires 4 reveal
Gears Tactics
Minecraft Dungeons

Halo Infinite reveal
Ninja Theory announcement

Outer Worlds release date/ day one Gamepass announcement
Wasteland 3 release date

Sea of Thieves update
FH4 2nd expansion reveal/ shadow drop

For me this alone would be one of Xbox's best 1st part showings ever at an E3, and while I don't think we'll see anything from Playground or Rares 2nd teams (too soon imo) or anything else from XGP, IF we did that would be something else.
Yes! This is great. I'm in.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Did you see their prototypes for Kameo 2? They had a short clip of an eagle flying in an open-world environment. It looked really good.

I believe so, in Rare Replay, right? Although I didn't care for that more serious and grounded Kameo concept art, I wouldn't want a potential sequel to go in that direction.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been almost 15 years since the last Perfect Dark game. A new entry in the series would almost definitely have more new fans than existing ones. MS could bring it back however they want without have the fan pushback that the 3 franchises you mention had.

Personally I would rather see it as a 3rd person stealth title rather than another shooter. MS doesn't have one of those in their portfolio yet.

This would be so dope.

I wonder what Phil is currently up to in Japan/ Korea.. How many deals have signed? Any acquisitions? E3 can't come soon enough. :)

Probably asking publishers / developers to show games at their stage.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Rare I has multiple new IPs going on as we speak. At least 2 as of I know today.

I think its wide knowledge at this point that Ninja Theory is making a game called Bleeding Edge or at least that's the name that's being thrown around. Not sure if its actual title or a codename.

As for old Rare IPs. I have good relations with Rare. From what I understood with my previous conversation I had with them and talks, older IPs would be handled by different studios if something was to be made or rebooted. A good example of that is last year's announced Battletoads. A game that's supervised by Rare but NOT developed by Rare.

EDIT - if mods want physical proof of my relationship with Rare feel free to PM.
I think most people thought that there was one new game being developed personally by rare. But the at least two new games would explain why they are growing so much

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

If this is all true, the two new games part makes me happy. The old IPs part pisses me off. It basically just confirms what I was ranting about earlier in the thread. :(

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
I know you guys want old IP's from Rare, but, as a creative person it should be tiring to read some posts in here if you are an Rare employee, let them work on what they want! Rare is all about trying new things, they shouldn't be tied to old IP's, imagine working on something very unique right now and then all you see are people saying that you should work again on something you already worked 20 years ago!

Rare should be all about new IP's, these guys know how to make games with unique takes, I can't wait to see their next new IP.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

I wonder what type of game Bleeding Edge will be?

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
I wonder what type of game Bleeding Edge will be?

Going by the style of Ninja Theory normally their games are usually fast paced action games for example Heavenly Sword, DMC Reboot, Enslaved and so on. With the budget that they have now I am thinking something along the lines of a hardcore action game - but this an opinion not a confirmation.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Going by the style of Ninja Theory normally their games are usually fast paced action games for example Heavenly Sword, DMC Reboot, Enslaved and so on. With the budget that they have now I am thinking something along the lines of a hardcore action game - but this an opinion not a confirmation.
I would love something similar to DmC.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I know you guys want old IP's from Rare, but, as a creative person it should be tiring to read some posts in here if you are an Rare employee, let them work on what they want! Rare is all about trying new things, they shouldn't be tied to old IP's, imagine working on something very unique right now and then all you see are people saying that you should work again on something you already worked 20 years ago!

Rare should be all about new IP's, these guys know how to make games with unique takes, I can't wait to see their next new IP.
While they still have a number of veterans who worked on Battletoads, DKC, B-K, Conker and Viva Pinata at Rare, they also have a lot of fresh blood working there now. Rare's old IPs would be new to them.

Some of the original devs have even entertained the thought of returning to their old IPs. Most notably Gregg Mayles, who was one of the main creatives (if not THE main creative force) behind Banjo-Kazooie.

That said, I think "the new IP from Rare and old IP from ext. devs" split is a fine solution. And internal Rare devs like Gregg Mayles could still be part of a theoretical Banjo-Threeie project by an independent studio.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Gregg Mayles has said he doesn't want to revisit older stuff without a real good reason to do so, and it sounds like the 'good reason' is not necessarily easy to come by, i.e. it's 'We wanna do new shit with this stuff'. Nuts and Bolts was a result of this: they made a BK game, but not simply BK3. They changed it up considerably (and for my money, almost pulled off a masterpiece. It's still a damn fine game in my book). It's up to him and others, as it should be.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
If Rare dont want to make games in certain IPs that is fine, but then they must be constantly looking for people who do want to do them because there is a fanbase for these titles and they should be served. Find the right team with the right idea and see what happens

Or let global publishing look for teams. Dont really care who oversees it, happy they're doing Battletoads with Dlala, and KI did well without them. Bring me Banjo, Conker, Perfect Dark, Sabreman, Viva Pinata and Kameo

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Gregg Mayles has said he doesn't want to revisit older stuff without a real good reason to do so, and it sounds like the 'good reason' is not necessarily easy to come by, i.e. it's 'We wanna do new shit with this stuff'. Nuts and Bolts was a result of this: they made a BK game, but not simply BK3. They changed it up considerably (and for my money, almost pulled off a masterpiece. It's still a damn fine game in my book). It's up to him and others, as it should be.
My point was that he's not ruling it out completely.

You're right that they're probably not going to make it in-house unless they have a really fresh idea for it though.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Oh aye, he and others have never said 'NEVER AGAIN!', thankfully, but it's rightly a matter, it seems, of the right time, team and approach, not simply 'when'.

Side note: I can only imagine how many job interviewees Rare get who say, when asked why they want to work there, 'OMFG GREG MAYLES CAN I BE YOUR DESIGN BITCH??' Perhaps in not so many words...

I have 0 game design experience, other than prototyping board games, and yet Rare is like dream job land.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
If Rare don't want to work on their IP then they should let MS find other studios to take them on. The way Rare currently handle their IP is a travesty.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Side note: I can only imagine how many job interviewees Rare get who say, when asked why they want to work there, 'OMFG GREG MAYLES CAN I BE YOUR DESIGN BITCH??' Perhaps in not so many words...

I have 0 game design experience, other than prototyping board games, and yet Rare is like dream job land.
They've already been through a couple of waves of this. Several of the devs who joined Rare in the 90s and early 2000s were fans of Ultimate Play the Game, for instance.

And now they have fans of their 90s games in their ranks. I guess there will be Viva Pinata, Kinect Sports and Sea of Thieves fans working there in a decade or two. :)

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

interesting, hope to see or hear more soon.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Banjo. It all depends on Gregg really in my opinion. If he would ask Craig if he could've 30 people from the teams at Rare or so to create a new Banjo game, he for sure would get this opportunity. However I don't feel like he wants to do that yet - and that's perfectly fine.

On the one hand I always read here that devs should create what they want to create - but if they do so like Rare (clearly) does, it's suddenly not the right thing either.

Just let them do their thing.

Last edited:

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Finally, we could get that Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run sequel that we've all been waiting for!

Not really.
We already got a sequel, Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest for the N64. Which, funnily enough wasn't developed by Rare, but instead by Angel Studios A.K.A Rockstar San Diego.

But yeah, I was just making shit up about Rare doing a baseball game, not knowing they actually made one!

But I guess, since they did make one in the past, Rare definitely isn't making one now.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
They released one of the best collections this generation with their games.

On top, what you just said is exactly what they are doing.
Are there more examples of this happening other than Battletoads? Feels more like they're experimenting with the idea than actually pursuing it, but I guess that's a positive start.

Oh yeah there's KI too

Jun 22, 2018
I would like to see Microsoft do more with first party entries in the MechWarrior franchise.

I'd also like to see a sequel to Quantum Break, but that seems very unlikely at this point.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
They've already been through a couple of waves of this. Several of the devs who joined Rare in the 90s and early 2000s were fans of Ultimate Play the Game, for instance.

And now they have fans of their 90s games in their ranks. I guess there will be Viva Pinata, Kinect Sports and Sea of Thieves fans working there in a decade or two. :)

ResetEra circa 2039:

"Where's my Sea of Thieves 2 on my Xbox 6, Rare?!?!"

We already got a sequel, Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest for the N64. Which, funnily enough wasn't developed by Rare, but instead by Angel Studios A.K.A Rockstar San Diego.

But yeah, I was just making shit up about Rare doing a baseball game, not knowing they actually made one!

But I guess, since they did make one in the past, Rare definitely isn't making one now.
Haha yeah, they've made soooooooo many games throughout their existence that I bet there's many other games you'll be surprised that they've made lol. Go and look up their NES lineup. Some eyebrow raising stuff in there.

Are there more examples of this happening other than Battletoads? Feels more like they're experimenting with the idea than actually pursuing it, but I guess that's a positive start.

Oh yeah there's KI too

Saying that Rare doesn't hand off their IPs to other studios enough is a bit of a strange opinion to have at this point. Besides the Battletoads and KI examples, you also have all the shit other devs have done with Conker in recent years and there are even Perfect Dark rumors buzzing around.

So no, technically how Rare is generally handling their IPs isn't necessarily a travesty (well, except in Conker's case). How they're handling them INTERNALLY is definitely a travesty IMO.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Rainbow Six Siege. I hope MS will wise up and put Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 on Steam. They know they're about to see MCC shoot through the roof when it hits and there's no doubt that they're paying close attention to the numbers.

Do we know if AOE4 and Gears Tactics will be on Steam or no word yet? I'd wager at least AOE4 will be.
The recent happenings in the PC space seem to show more than in a while that you don't need Steam if you want to go your own way. If you develop solid social features and a decent storefront, gamers will go where your games are if the games themselves are appealing. At this point in time, I believe less in "you need to have your game on Steam" than I have in years.

Obviously, that means your services on PC need to be good, and as we all know MS has some work to do on that front. The new overlay that's in preview as of a few days ago seems like a pretty good start, looking forward to seeing the experience they'll provide in other areas on PC.
The signs are pointing towards a new IP, I think there is a chance that we see some older Rare properties comming back, but with other studios as the main developers.
Everyone should be in this mindset about Rare's IPs. There are definitely opportunities with them, those probably won't come from Rare themselves, and that's okay.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know it's selfish since it would screw over people who don't own an Xbox, but I wish Outer Worlds were Xbox exclusive so I could have it included in Game Pass and not need to buy it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.