• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
What has Lift London done after Paint3D?

Seems they haven't done anything since they closed the studio.

Key people from Lift:

Lee Schuneman (now works at Education First)
Has left the studio May 2018

Mike Rouse (Now Head of Production at Hangar13)
Has left the studio March 2015

Mark Stanley (now works at Education First)
Has left the studio January 2018

Jonathan Venables (now Creative Director HoloLens in London)
Has left the studio March 2015

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
So extra details for the OP Kaironaut
-343) notable person: Tom French , Jeff Easterling, Chris Lee, David ellis, Nicholas Bouvier, Paul Crocker, Tim Longo&Troy Mashburn(they worked on republic commando)
-The Coalition) they are 350 according to this video(2:11) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHHzSdqJbZs&feature=youtu.be
-Rare) add to notable person Joe Neate and Mike Chapman and they are close to 250 according to linkedin and their website(linkedin list 236 devs and they have 17 jobs opened)
-Playground a&b) Gavin Raeburn (studio director), ralph fulton and grant orban (game director and designer on the fh saga), plus the new hired staff(someone had to browse gameindusty.biz)
-Ninja Theory) Tameen antoniades, Melina Jurgens, Nina Kristensen, their staff count is about 140 and no mentions of the senua studio.
-The Initiative) Drew Murray is a note worthy person.
-Obsidian) Noteworthy persons: Chris Parker, Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, Josh Sawyer
-InXile) add information on the new orleans studio and noteworthy person list: george zeits and Kevin Saunders

No mentions at all of elbow rocket, lift london and casual games?

Rare is at 250?! Weren't they around 80 about 18 months ago? That's like adding the full size of Obsidian. Like adding a new studio despite not announcing a new studio.

For people saying Rare has lost it...it's basically a new studio.

Apr 6, 2018
So to have something to talk about more deep:
Oluasc posted this link https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/573055/Senior-System-Designer but it doesn't appear on the official site: https://www.343industries.com/careers.
Things got worse once you notice that on the 343i's site only appears 19 jobs, while on msft's official site searching the keyword "halo" I've found 32 job openings (https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/search-results?rt=professional&keywords=halo) and 30 for 343i (https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/search-results?rt=professional&keywords=343)

So we could scrap 343i's site as a reliable information's source, because it's way behind the msft official one

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to mention it for the sake of it.

MS recently released Microsft Maquette, a VR software sketching and ideas on Steam.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Why were the popular OT subtitle suggestions ignored? EDIT: Just honestly asking. Good job with the thread :)

Anyways, this is exciting! OT4 already... road to E3 I guess!
I agree with you, there were much better options presented earlier. I think we should start voting on OT subtitles from OT 5. The Xbox Era community should decide which OT subtitle they prefer.

Apr 6, 2018
Rare is at 250?! Weren't they around 80 about 18 months ago? That's like adding the full size of Obsidian. Like adding a new studio despite not announcing a new studio.

For people saying Rare has lost it...it's basically a new studio.
IDK about 18 months ago.
Linkedin says 236(back in june when they posted they studio full photo linkedin listed 220 devs and Klobrille counted in the photo 220 people[IDK if it's the right plural for "person", english is not my main tongue, next time may wrote in latin]). On their website there are 17 job openings

Dec 12, 2017
I feel one more big acquisition in their future. Of all the studio's they acquired, Ninja Theory is the biggest name and most people would be like "who?".

Now that bungie is indie again they should look into getting them back in the fold.

If Xbox gets someone as huge as Bungie back, Sony should seriously try to bring Kojima under the WWS banner...complete creative freedom of course.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
On the Playground third studio rumors, I saw a few months ago that they were hiring outside of Leamington Spa, somewhere in the south, I wanna say Portsmouth but I'm not 100% on that. I wish I'd had the foresight to write it down or take a screenshot then, but I didn't think much of it then, and they've since either been filled or closed.

Do the rumors have anything to do with these job listing or is there more I haven't heard?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this was already posted here or in the old thread ...

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella just laid out the company's vision for its 'Netflix for games'

https://www.businessinsider.de/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-xbox-netflix-for-games-2019-1

Says nothing new for us, but it's good to see them using the right keywords. The Game Pass + xCloud combo will definitely be the Netflix of gaming, especially now that Microsoft can have their own first party "Netflix exclusive" equivalents in the form of day 1 first party games on the pass, available to play on Xbox, on PC and soon on mobiles, tablets, possibly other consoles.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we will see what else Rare is working on this year. Id also like to see more from Compulsion and Ninja Theory, though I dont think we will see anything from Compulsion for a very long time. Im telling you guys, I am very excited to see what they can do. Loved We Happy Few.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
I wonder if we will see what else Rare is working on this year. Id also like to see more from Compulsion and Ninja Theory, though I dont think we will see anything from Compulsion for a very long time. Im telling you guys, I am very excited to see what they can do. Loved We Happy Few.
As much as I'd love to see what Rare has cooking I feel like they would save it for next year to go along the other next gen announcements.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

I think we'll see the Rare game in 2020. They announced Sea of Thieves way too early. Not sure if they are going to do that again. Also depends on the scope of the game.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Says nothing new for us, but it's good to see them using the right keywords. The Game Pass + xCloud combo will definitely be the Netflix of gaming, especially now that Microsoft can have their own first party "Netflix exclusive" equivalents in the form of day 1 first party games on the pass, available to play on Xbox, on PC and soon on mobiles, tablets, possibly other consoles.
The important part of the news is that the CEO uses the xCloud as a headline in his speech. Only underlines that Gaming is heavily invested in and Phil Spencer has more "wiggle room" for his business recommendations and decisions!

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018

I can see CG being year 1 of Xbox 2 and Rare being Launch Year.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I'm looking forward to checking it out on Game Pass. I'm trying to get through some of my backlog. Playing Mutant right now. About how long is We Happy Few ?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
One thing I was wondering about Crackdown 3 MP is if there's going to be progression/customization. That'll be important to keep people invested in it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if there's a plot twist.. and Netflix has been working on "Netflix for games" this whole time..

Well they already launched an interactive movie, and they are working with an interactive Minecraft project as well with what remains of Telltale, unless I missed the fact they already canned that too. Streaming games would be the natural evolution of that eventually.

Jun 22, 2018
Well they already launched an interactive movie, and they are working with an interactive Minecraft project as well with what remains of Telltale, unless I missed the fact they already canned that too. Streaming games would be the natural evolution of that eventually.
The interactive Minecraft Story Mode is already on Netflix.

They have at least 2 other interactive shows that I'm aware of right now. So, they're up to at least 3.

Putfire

May 12, 2018

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella just laid out the company's vision for its 'Netflix for games'

https://www.businessinsider.de/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-xbox-netflix-for-games-2019-1
I think Matt was referring to Nadella in that interview where he says the boss wanted several releases. Good to know that he has an interest in "Netflix of games" know that he needs a lot of content.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

I read this yesterday and initially didn't think it was newsworthy since he doesn't say anything new....

...but maybe it is newsworthy. Nadella isn't going to do PR speak without an approved strategy to back it up. Netflix for games is a very high bar to set publicly. Having the top guy of the richest company with great credibility talk about this is a big deal.

What is your budget when you're trying to be relevant to 2 billion gamers and gain the reputation for a gaming subscription that Netflix has for movies and TV?

Kind of makes me think that we're still underestimating the resources Microsoft will invest.

Oct 26, 2018
Has anyone tried sinner: sacrifice for redemption on gamepass, it reminds. Me a lot of shadow of the colossus and just from the first boss, it's really good

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any information on if Ninja Theory is going to stay as smaller teams internally like they were before MS bought them, or are they going to bring everyone back into one big team like how they used to be?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
If Microsoft really believes their service will be accessible on the devices of 2 billion gamers and that they can have 100+ million monthly subscribers, then I think you can speculate crazy talk. Not buying publishers (as that still sounds innefficent) but rather in terms of strategy and partnerships. Let's remeber that Netflix hit critical mass shortly after they partnered to bring Netflix to Xbox 360 and really leveraged their Disney relationship. It kind of snowballed from there.

Things not out of the question like:
- Streaming to Switch
- Studios in Japan
- Partnership with Valve to be on Steam
- Partnership with another major publisher to bring all their games to XGP day 1
- Partnering with Discord and other platforms (Steam, Epic, Nintendo) for cross-chat and cross-platform friends list regardless of game being played

Forget the past. Lack of success in Eastern markets with hardware doesn't matter if you don't need Xbox hardware to get in front of customers in their homes.

Microsoft has a lot of tools for leverage and can offer any combination of those tools to other companies for disruptive market strategies.

It will be hard to partner with any other company serious about their own subscription service (Sony, Google and eventually EA) but wouldn't rule out too many other possibilities.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
If Microsoft really believes their service will be accessible on the devices of 2 billion gamers and that they can have 100+ million monthly subscribers, then I think you can speculate crazy talk. Not buying publishers (as that still sounds innefficent) but rather in terms of strategy and partnerships. Let's remeber that Netflix hit critical mass shortly after they partnered to bring Netflix to Xbox 360 and really leveraged their Disney relationship. It kind of snowballed from there.

- Streaming to Switch
- Studios in Japan
- Partnership with another major publisher to bring all their games to XGP day 1
- Partnering with Discord and other platforms (Steam, Epic, Nintendo) for cross-chat and cross-platform friends list regardless of game being played

Forget the past. Lack of success in Eastern markets with hardware doesn't matter if you don't need Xbox hardware to get in front of customers in their homes.

Microsoft has a lot of tools for leverage and can offer any combination of those tools to other companies for disruptive market strategies.

It will be hard to partner with any other company serious about their own subscription service (Sony, Google and eventually EA) but wouldn't rule out too many other possibilities.

I can't see MS partnering with Steam, there's no need.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea

- Streaming to Switch
- Studios in Japan

Partnerships I definitely agree with, but Microsoft will definitely need to continue building their first party to offer Xbox exclusive content at a good pace, too (^^)

Studios in Japan (and Asia in general) is a great place to continue building, and partnerships with major publishers (CAPCOM, EA, etc) to net games in programs like Play Anywhere are great bonuses as well.

Also hurray on OT4!

Status
Not open for further replies.