• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah I get that. And long term that's obviously the best thing to have a drip feed of games. But I think launch is a special case, especially with first party. If you're not able to release it at launch, then hold it back 3 or 4 months. It just looks weird only a month or two after.
I don't think Microsoft will be too concerned about the optics. They stacked the Xbox One launch lineup as best they could and it didn't really do them any favors. Both the PS4 (no serious AAA exclusive) and the Switch (only Zelda) have shown you can have a successful launch without a ton of first-party content.

The value proposition of getting something new every month is far more intriguing to me. Third-party stuff will dominate launch day anyway.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It is less than 2 months until E3 and we still haven't heard a word from MS and Insiders aren't talking either .... MS is definitely getting ready for a big show..probably saving the new acquisitions for the event. It's going to be interesting.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
It is less than 2 months until E3 and we still haven't heard a word from MS and Insiders aren't talking either .... MS is definitely getting ready for a big show..probably saving the new acquisitions for the event. It's going to be interesting.

No doubt. I bet they have at least 2 acquisition given the fact their last announcement was during XO event when they acquired Obsidian and InXile.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I think MS announce the next gen consoles and reveal some of the launch line up.

Killer Instinct II S1 I think gets revealed along with Rares next project.

A new game from Armature as well.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I think MS announce the next gen consoles and reveal some of the launch line up.

Killer Instinct II S1 I think gets revealed along with Rares next project.

A new game from Armature as well.

Too early for the launch line-up, and probably also for specs. They won't know which games will be ready for the launch for quite a while, there's nothing to gain by announcing them now.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Too early for the launch line-up, and probably also for specs. They won't know which games will be ready for the launch for quite a while, there's nothing to gain by announcing them now.

I don't think it is.

This gen is finished, Gears 5 is thier only big exclusive left.

So why not generate real headlines and do a next gen reveal part one.
Part one entails the console name, what it looks like, tease some software that's coming etc.

Spencer has hinted multiple times Xbox is going big this E3 and to me this means next gen

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I don't think it is.

Part one entails the console name, what it looks like, tease some software that's coming etc.

Spencer has hinted multiple times Xbox is going big this E3 and to me this means next gen
Because announcing your next console 1.5 years ahead of release is a great way to both kill sales of the current console and drain the "new" factor out of the upcoming one.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Because announcing your next console 1.5 years ahead of release is a great way to both kill sales of the current console and drain the "new" factor out of your upcoming one.

Did not hurt sales of the Xbox One S when they teased the X.

If anything people were hyped and discussing the X for a good year leading up to its full reveal a year later.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
MS had two options when sitting down to plan this conf.

Focus on this generation which essentially is a conf with Gears 5 and a tonne of third parties.

Do a next gen reveal part I, a prologue to the full reveal at E3 2020. This conf we get a name, the look of the console, teaser trailers for what will eventually be launch games etc.

To generate hype option two is the best for the Xbox brand

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I just think Phil won't deal in half measures. Everyone knows the next gen is coming so it's time to just be out with it

Oct 27, 2017
I think they'll talk about next gen quite openly while still leaving plenty of room for speculation, kind of how they handled Scorpio.

Maybe the most we get is confirmation of a codename, some spec buzz terms and maybe even confirmation that there will be a powerful, traditional box alongside streaming solutions (which I think is an important point to clarify early for both Sony and MS this go around). Basically sowing all the seeds necessary for 8 months of speculation before a full reveal in early 2020 with a launch later that year.

We'll also see footage of games which look clearly too good for current gen without really confirming it, leading with Halo Infinite.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Im also kind of split on whether I want to see Compulsions new IP on the neXtBox or not, on the one hand I do, but on the other hand I'd really like to see then swing for the fences, and if their next game is ready inside 2 years, it probably won't be the big ambitious shot I'm hoping for.

I almost forgot about compulsion, will be interested to see what their next full project will be.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just think Phil won't deal in half measures. Everyone knows the next gen is coming so it's time to just be out with it
Agreed. I don't see much point in dancing around is, especially with Stadia announced and talking up big specs. This will be a good time for MS to show what they have already and what they have coming.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Agreed. I don't see much point in dancing around is, especially with Stadia announced and talking up big specs. This will be a good time for MS to show what they have already and what they have coming.

Just think doing a conf based around Gears 5 and third parties doesn't really achieve anything

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Reading this hurts so bad!!

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/04...-old-republic-3-featured-monstrous-sith-lords

The third game involved you, as a player character, following where Revan went and then taking the battle to the really ancient Sith lords who are far more terrifying than the Darths that show up. These guys would just be monsters. These would have a level of power that was considerable, but at the same time you'd be able to dig more into their psychologies, and their personalities, their history, and even how they dealt with the player, how they talk with the player, the different powers they cultivated and developed, and for some of them like – they're the ancients, so they're not just ruling a solar system, [but] swathes of the galaxy."
Avellone continued to explain how all these places the player would travel would show how these ancient Sith lords "left their stamp on that world, or that solar system, or whatever collection of moons." Environmental storytelling would have been a huge part of KOTOR 3 and would help convey the pure evil these Sith lords have wrought.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just think doing a conf based around Gears 5 and third parties doesn't really achieve anything
As much as I am excited about Gears 5, my mind is already moving towards the potentials of nextgen. I think what MS currently has coming and the services, will easily roll on until launch of the new console. Just launch it with all the big hitters day one.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
My X is coming in tomorrow so my current gen console collection is now complete. Dunno what to do with my OG Xbox One and PS4 though.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I don't think it is.

When it comes to big first party games, there's also Halo Infinity, and then there are things like Ori, Battletoads, and probably Gears Tactics and AoE4. They will announce more games - if you think that there will be no more Xbox One first party games, you're in for a surprise (of course, most will also come to Scarlett, eventually).

Didnt people say the same thing with the X?

The X only got a pretty vague tease with some specs. I'm expecting a similar thing for Scarlett, but probably even more vague. X was not a start of a new generation, and if it was, it would probably be considered a commercial failure. They also knew that Sony would probably show off the Pro (unless you believe that they had no idea the Pro was happening - we all knew in advance), whereas Sony will not even be at E3 this time around. Blowing your load too early would just be bad marketing, unless you also intend to launch significantly ahead of the competition, which I don't believe is happening. It would give Sony all the headlines closer to the launch.

The launch line-up won't be detailed yet, but some or all the games shown will also be on Scarlett (not just through BC), and they might even show off a next gen target or two.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The X only got a pretty vague tease with some specs. I'm expecting a similar thing for Scarlett, but probably even more vague. X was not a start of a new generation, and if it was, it would probably be considered a commercial failure. They also knew that Sony would probably show off the Pro (unless you believe that they had no idea the Pro was happening - we all knew in advance), whereas Sony will not even be at E3 this time around. Blowing your load too early would just be bad marketing, unless you also intend to launch significantly ahead of the competition, which I don't believe is happening. It would give Sony all the headlines closer to the launch.

The launch line-up won't be detailed yet, but some or all the games shown will also be on Scarlett (not just through BC), and they might even show off a next gen target or two.

Still announcing X didnt kill the S or did worse for the X.

Mington

Banned
Dec 22, 2018
When it comes to big first party games, there's also Halo Infinity, and then there are things like Ori, Battletoads, and probably Gears Tactics and AoE4. They will announce more games - if you think that there will be no more Xbox One first party games, you're in for a surprise (of course, most will also come to Scarlett, eventually).

Doing a conference based around those plus a whole load of third parties is counter productive though. Pointless even.

Announcing the next gen, getting it out there, whilst keeping some info hidden is far more effective and a better show for gamers

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Tencent buying IOI is a possibility. They seem willing to expand WW unlike MS who seem just focused on NA
Microsoft bought Ninja Theory, and are expanding their team. Bought Playground and are doing the same, Rare is also growing.

Maybe they need to invest in more studios in mainland Europe and/or Japan, but as things stand, they have done well to expand on what they have in North America.

Apr 6, 2018
We have games like Battlefield V running at 1080p/60fps on base XOne, yet we have to expect downgrade from a First Patty studio? In a game with 30fps as target?
Lol no.
I hope the open worldish part is a clusterfuck and forces them to make it linear
A NextBox launch with Halo and Forza launching day and date would be a) cool and b) peak Xbox.
IDK, I'm loosing faith in the 2020 release for H:I

Last edited:

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Agreed, but I think they're still going to keep it relatively non-descript.

You'll get a couple of bullet points - "Most powerful console in history", "4K60", "Raytracing" (?), "Fully backwards compatible" - perhaps some vague specs - "over 10 teraflops" - and a showcase title or two.

I highly doubt they'll show what it looks like or a name. There's no way they have the look and name finalised just yet.

E3 2018 was confirmation they're working on it. E3 2019 will be the first teaser. 2020 event will be the full reveal.
Doing a conference based around those plus a whole load of third parties is counter productive though. Pointless even.
Showing good games that people want is counterproductive and pointless? idk fam

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At E3 they'll talk about xCloud for longer than they will the next gen consoles, we'll probably get a Scorpio type video but I reckon this E3 is about the games and how you can stream them.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
16a260c8bf911a10b.png

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/NINJA-GAIDEN-II/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802544307d5

ninja gaiden 2 is now available on xbox store

Last edited:

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Wow, always thought, that MS will be the first to share details of its nextgen console, so the Wired article caught me by surprise. And even though it's about the PS5, it's a good insight what we can expect from the next Xbox too, I suppose.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, always thought, that MS will be the first to share details of its nextgen console, so the Wired article caught me by surprise. And even though it's about the PS5, it's a good insight what we can expect from the next Xbox too, I suppose.

On the day that Xbox will announce there E3 plans as well- what a coincidence, the game is afoot! :)

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Well that's all the confirmation we need that MS is going to talk about next gen at E3.
right! 2020 is going to be VERY interesting!!

in that thread, people are saying the announcement is coming out of nowhere - they dont know that today is inside xbox that highlights the road to e3. mindshare is more on the new ps5 now.
what a move.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It feels like a coincidence with MS announcing plans today.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
If Google and Apple joining the fray, and now Sony dropping their next-gen plans doesn't light a fire under MS, what will

Status
Not open for further replies.