• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Obviously goes someway to MS' 2 SKU approach. Do you agree that the general feel of 1 box targeting 1080p customers and one targeting 4K customers is accurate - including the obvious price split between the two?

Well here's the thing. The cheaper box would still be able to hit 4k. From a technical level, even if the put a 6 teraflop gpu from the one x in the cheaper Lockhart device, the issue with xbox one x not hitting higher 4k fps is jaguar cpu cores. So if Microsoft put even a 6 teraflop gpu in Lockhart device and paired it with ryzen 3000 custom cpu. You would get much-improved performance. As the current issue is the xbox one x runs with a cpu bottleneck.

The Jaguar core cpu's weren't ever good. even when they launched. Getting real CPU's in these machines and getting SSD's and such in the consoles will be a huge generational leap even if you aren't getting the most expensive unit.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
I know at most likely it will be an upscale and Netflix in 8k. It's not gonna be native 8k.

Side note do any of you think we will see new stuff from global publishing this year. KI2 would handled by rare like battletoads I think, if it is indeed happening. Wasn't Playful working on a previous Microsoft IP. Currently global publishing has one project that is announced AoE4 . It seems like they have been too quiet for a bit.
It's not going to be 8k in upscale either because there isn't going to be a signficant number of 8k TV owners for quite a while, let alone content providers with 8k content.

In the US, most TV channels are still broadcast in 720p or 1080i, let's get some 4k TV and content adoption before we even start thinking seriously about 8k.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone hoping Microsoft will combine game pass with xcloud. This would be great as I would love to see how it works. May be able to post pone next gen purchase if it works as well as I believe it will. Though I wonder what the cost of xcloud will be. Decisions.
I've said for some time that xCloud will be a part of Xbox Game Pass. It will be the subscription you need to stream your games. Period.

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
On the topic of Ninja Theory making a multiplayer game. I just remembered late last year that they were hiring for engineers with experiences in love services games.

So... Therss that.

Territories1

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 16, 2019
On the topic of Ninja Theory making a multiplayer game. I just remembered late last year that they were hiring for engineers with experiences in love services games.

IIRC they were looking for someone to work in analytics and it was blown out of proportion

I'm not denying it'll be a MP game. Tameen talked about their co op game they put on the side to work on Hellblade but I highly doubt its going to be a PvP game loaded with MTX or a GaaS.

Territories1

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 16, 2019
HOWEVER .... one of the hottest multiplayer games around is Warframe so If Ninja Theory made a game like that and gave it a good content plan, I'd be down for that as well.

However I really think it'll be a compelling co op game. Maybe like Army of Two except actually good with a good story and depth to it.

Jan 4, 2018
I've said for some time that xCloud will be a part of Xbox Game Pass. It will be the subscription you need to stream your games. Period.
You don't think there's any chance xcloud becomes just a "standard" feature for Xbox as a platform?
Something like Play Anywhere 2.0, where you buy a game through Xbox and that means you can play it on any compatible device you already own and not just for 1st party and select games?
I mean, I think that'll get them an incredible amount of sales (basically, why would you buy multiplats anywhere else? Yeah mods are great but if the decision is between mods and being able to play my games at any time and place I think I'd choose the later)

Not saying I think it's gonna be the case (I honestly don't know what to think because it being free, included on other subscriptions, or a separate subscriptions all have their interesting points. A separate subscription is the least interesting in the grand scheme of things though)

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
IIRC they were looking for someone to work in analytics and it was blown out of proportion

I'm not denying it'll be a MP game. Tameen talked about their co op game they put on the side to work on Hellblade but I highly doubt its going to be a PvP game loaded with MTX or a GaaS.

I can't really speak to that since I'm just going off of memory, I just remember them looking for backend engineers with experience in live service architecture, and I remember that because I was going to apply, but I pitched it to focus on a different thing. Coulda been for site analytics or something, I only remember the love service part.

I don't think 'live service' has to necessarily be all about micro transactions either, that's what most of them are these days but it doesn't have to be. I'd say Sea of Thieves leans in to live service, in that it's always available and frequently updated. I think Game Pass does a good job of making live service games not need to be filled with predatory micro-transactions, by effectively making them subscription services. Does that mean I think services like game pass will lead to an end to micro transactions? No, but I do think Microsoft will start to depend on them less and less.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
I'm sorry but this whole fabricated idea that Anaconda IS categorically speaking more powerful than the PS5 is pure fanboyism taken to extreme levels. "Aiming to be"? Sure thing, it's been know for quite a while that MS aims to win the power race from now on. Now categorically saying that it WILL indeed be more powerful without providing any type of proof as to why? Said who? Insiders? Do they work at Sony as MS spies? Lmao, at this point not even Microsoft knows the exact final numbers of their next gen consoles in terms or performance, let alone the so called "insiders". Also Sony didn't gave any details about numbers so they're just speculating as usual. Smh.

Last edited:

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but this whole fabricated idea that Anaconda IS categorically speaking more powerful than the PS5 is just fanboyism taken to extreme levels. "Aiming to be"? Sure thing, it's been know for quite a while that MS aims to win the power race from now on. Now categorically saying that it WILL indeed be more powerful without providing any type of proof as to why? Said who? Insiders? Do they work at Sony as MS spies? Lmao, at this point not even Microsoft knows the exact final numbers of their next gen consoles in terms or performance, let alone the so called "insiders". Also Sony didn't gave any details about numbers so they're just speculating as usual. Smh.
This is a post. That much is clear.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Dev kits is already been sent i think.
So inside rumors won't be too surprising, but in this age of internet, it's too easy to become fake insider.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
You don't think there's any chance xcloud becomes just a "standard" feature for Xbox as a platform?
Something like Play Anywhere 2.0, where you buy a game through Xbox and that means you can play it on any compatible device you already own and not just for 1st party and select games?
I mean, I think that'll get them an incredible amount of sales (basically, why would you buy multiplats anywhere else? Yeah mods are great but if the decision is between mods and being able to play my games at any time and place I think I'd choose the later)

Not saying I think it's gonna be the case (I honestly don't know what to think because it being free, included on other subscriptions, or a separate subscriptions all have their interesting points. A separate subscription is the least interesting in the grand scheme of things though)

No.
xCloud will be tied to something that garners money on a regular basis. It will never be a "standard" feature as you described. Running a streaming business uses money constantly...you need something that will pay for it, especially as it's costs goes down overtime so that your benefit goes up. Streaming and GamePass have "synergy" as described by Microsoft just as Netflix and streaming have synergy. There's no reality in which xCloud is a standard feature of xbox. You will pay.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I definitely could see a Spacelords-like game coming from NT but this time with a bigger focus on narrative and characters. With the recent rumor of it being a mp-focused game it could definitely be this spiritual successor of the Razer project they prototyped several years ago.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
No.
xCloud will be tied to something that garners money on a regular basis. It will never be a "standard" feature as you described. Running a streaming business uses money constantly...you need something that will pay for it, especially as it's costs goes down overtime so that your benefit goes up. Streaming and GamePass have "synergy" as described by Microsoft just as Netflix and streaming have synergy. There's no reality in which xCloud is a standard feature of xbox. You will pay.
Do you think xCloud could ever be a single-purchase price, or will it have to be a 4th subscription service?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I really don't know why some people become so defensive and agitated when someone says they expect Anaconda to be more powerful than PS5...

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
I really don't know why some people become so defensive and agitated when someone says they expect Anaconda to be more powerful than PS5...
There's a difference between expecting and claiming, some people don't know the difference between those two. I also expect Anaconda do be slightly more powerful than the PS5, but that's just about it, I expect, I don't go out there claiming to know something that I clearly don't

Last edited:

Territories1

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Do people actually think Microsoft is going to charge for xCloud? The point of xCloud is accessibility. That'd be like Netflix charging extra for streaming to your phone. MS would get crucified if they charged for xCloud and in addition expect people to pay for Gamepass and Xbox Live.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
There's a difference between expecting and claiming, some people don't know the difference between those two. I also expect Anaconda do be slightly more powerful than PS5, but that's just it, I expect, I don't go out there claiming to know something that I clearly don't
Again, I don't get the defensiveness and agitation. If it isn't more powerful then they'll be wrong. I'm not sure I've even seen many people claim 100% it's going to be more powerful, but I think a lot of people expect it at this point.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Do people actually think Microsoft is going to charge for xCloud? The point of xCloud is accessibility. That'd be like Netflix charging extra for streaming to your phone. MS would get crucified if they charged for xCloud and in addition expect people to pay for Gamepass and Xbox Live.
Fortnite isn't free on Xbox, and neither will the streaming future be.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'm sorry but this whole fabricated idea that Anaconda IS categorically speaking more powerful than the PS5 is pure fanboyism taken to extreme levels. "Aiming to be"? Sure thing, it's been know for quite a while that MS aims to win the power race from now on. Now categorically saying that it WILL indeed be more powerful without providing any type of proof as to why? Said who? Insiders? Do they work at Sony as MS spies? Lmao, at this point not even Microsoft knows the exact final numbers of their next gen consoles in terms or performance, let alone the so called "insiders". Also Sony didn't gave any details about numbers so they're just speculating as usual. Smh.
I agree. It's just assumed "fact" at this point.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No one should be arguing over specs at this point anyway. It's fun to discuss and speculate about the future, but few here have have any basis to "fight" on it (besides the fact that fighting over something like this is inherently pretty silly).

But yeah, i've been buying all my games on Xbox recently.

As far as xCloud, I've really grown in favor of rolling it into Game Pass (and that means raising GP's price at some point). That way anyone who subscribes has a library to play, and if they want non-GP games, they can buy them from the marketplace.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i could see them having a tier system. you can sub separately to gamepass(dl) or gamepass(stream) or sub to a combined version. They could then have a sub that combines dl,stream,and gold

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Is Housemarque a candidate for Microsoft? They're a talented studio who looks like they're financially struggling, which is in line with what Microsoft has acquired in the past. And they "worked with Sony in the past."

Oct 27, 2017
Is Housemarque a candidate for Microsoft? They're a talented studio who looks like they're financially struggling, which is in line with what Microsoft has acquired in the past. And they "worked with Sony in the past."

Seem like a good fit for GamePass too. A prolific studio at making the games they make which works for Microsoft. A big platform of players to potentially give their games a shot without investing in upfront.

Jun 22, 2018
xCloud makes it so anyone with a PC or phone or tablet (or possibly Switch if that pans out) can buy Xbox games and subscribe to game pass.

By making the service free, but requiring that you purchase games or subscribe to game pass they'll really boost their game sales and game pass subscribers. For that reason, I believe making xCloud a free service (requiring you pay in some form for access to the games) would be the best move for Xbox.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think they'd be a great get for MS, and I think Housemarque would definitely benefit from being acquired.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I think they'd be a great get for MS, and I think Housemarque would definitely benefit from being acquired.

It definitely checks all of the boxes.

Capable Developers / High Pedigree? Check.
Relatively expedient development cycles? Check.
Financial Struggles? Check.
On record saying that funding limits their vision? Check.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

So... Therss that.
Character Action Dating Sim confirmed?

Probably not, no. The era of heavy subsidies for consumer hardware is over, no one is interested in losing their shirts anymore when customers have demonstrated they will pay.
Heh yea. I'm still confused at the absolute certainty gamers have that companies that make no money on hardware would continue to be willing to heavily subsidize expensive console hardware now, especially when there are more good ways to plays games than ever- meaning it will be harder and harder to recoup costs from software - almost no matter how much fortnite someone plays, they're not going to get you back your $100 console subsidy. That's bad business and it shocks me how many people think it's the obvious thing to do.

I expect some sticker shock next year.

Maybe, but the article is kinda weird isn't it? Almost sounds like a cry for help. Definitely not the type of thing you would release if you had already been acquired.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It definitely checks all of the boxes.

Capable Developers / High Pedigree? Check.
Relatively expedient development cycles? Check.
Financial Struggles? Check.
On record saying that funding limits their vision? Check.

To be fair, we don't really know what the boxes are, I think the only thing anyone is on record as saying they're looking for is "about 50 to 100 people".

I also just noticed my 'love' typo, but I'm not gonna fix it. You should never try to change love.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There's a difference between expecting and claiming, some people don't know the difference between those two. I also expect Anaconda do be slightly more powerful than the PS5, but that's just about it, I expect, I don't go out there claiming to know something that I clearly don't
If you are talking about me, you should read my posts again. I clearly said MS aims for that. Literally no one knows how the exact raw numbers will compare in 16 months or whatever.

That said, I have no reason to not believe in their own strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.