• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I think Gamepass will help the game for sure but, if it was solely a traditional release, it appears to me like Crackdown 3 was 'sent to die' in that sense. I'm just hoping I'll like the campaign because that is all I ever really cared about in the first place.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not worried about Crackdown 3 nor how they are marketed as MS is weary of news cycles...also, it's also a test for XGP to see how much marketing is actually necessary for a game. I assume that they want to know if they can save marketing dollars on games by not doing too much until closer to release. That won't be for every game (Halo will be marketed crazy) but seeing how much of an impact XGP has on word of mouth and lesser known games.

Aug 26, 2018
Crackdown 3 is being sent out to die.

Hopefully Staten picks a better project to work on next.

Let my man work the folks at Yager to reboot Crimson Skies.

Or write a Halo RPG.

Or work on a new IP altogether.

This would be my Marketing plan for CD3:

1. Handover the 1st hour of the Campaign to 50 Prominent Youtubers this week.
2. Inside Xbox : Complete SP & MP info ( Next Week)
3. Give Wrecking Zone MP access to Twitch and Mixer Streamers ( 1 Week before launch)
4. Remove the reviews NDA a week before launch ( unless they are working on a big Day 1 patch)
5. Then Joseph Staten can do a bunch of interviews on IGN, Kotaku, Polygon etc next week
6. Get Terry Crews LIVE as Commander Jaxon during Inside Xbox and Launch Day.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
MS usually get busy on Tuesday so maybe tomorrow Crackdown ads will start?

Either way it's free with game pass lol.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not worried about Crackdown 3 nor how they are marketed as MS is weary of news cycles...also, it's also a test for XGP to see how much marketing is actually necessary for a game. I assume that they want to know if they can save marketing dollars on games by not doing too much until closer to release. That won't be for every game (Halo will be marketed crazy) but seeing how much of an impact XGP has on word of mouth and lesser known games.
This.

I was thinking about this as well. This is a great opportunity for MS go gather CD3 data and present it to other parties.

Judging SOT, SOD2 performance on GP, CD3 should produce similar or even better numbers.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This.

I was thinking about this as well. This is a great opportunity for MS go gather CD3 data and present it to other parties.

Judging SOT, SOD2 performance on GP, CD3 should produce similar or even better numbers.

It's their dime, but it seems like quite the risk on such a high budget game.

The results will be interesting, though.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

Still more than two weeks away

5qEfu9T.gif

Dec 31, 2017
lmao, you should play NG again. The basic fucking spider ninja mobs will wreck you. Nothing in Souls even comes close.
I bought it on BC when it was announced since I don't own it on disc anymore, and I got my ass kicked! Felt so good though, I love feeling challenged like that! Only game I ever had to put down for a month as I was about to break a controller. Came back to it later. I was stuck on Alma in the church At the time. Got stuck in the same spot on my Hard play through as well, except I didn't finish that play through lol

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I think MS will continue to support Crackdown beyond launch.

No way they spent all this time just to be one and done with the project

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think MS will continue to support Crackdown beyond launch.

No way they spent all this time just to be one and done with the project

It's very likely they are already working on some post-launch support, be that single player missions, multiplayer content or whatnot. Of course they'll be looking at player numbers to see whether it's worth supporting beyond the first months and turn it into a Sea Of Thieves-esque long-term game or get out a couple short missions, 3 multiplayer maps and a couple skins and call it a day.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
It's very likely they are already working on some post-launch support, be that single player missions, multiplayer content or whatnot. Of course they'll be looking at player numbers to see whether it's worth supporting beyond the first months and turn it into a Sea Of Thieves-esque long-term game or get out a couple short missions, 3 multiplayer maps and a couple skins and call it a day.

I think it's the latter, continued support throughout the years

Nov 11, 2017
MS knows crackdown is going to be ratings flop, late basically nonexistent marketing tells it all. Probably got bad ratings during there review process

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
I really hope Ninja Theory is working on a Horror Game. Get Kris Straub on as an adviser as he has been killing it lately with Local58.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It should be a good case study, for sure. One other thing that is telling (for me) is that they haven't announced any post-launch support for it. With SoT, SoD2, GoW4, Halo 5, Halo Wars, etc. they announced season passes and post-launch support before the game even launched. For this, though, the silence is deafening. Are they going to keep on the subcontracted studios for added content? For how long will they contract them out if so?

I think they want it to be over with, tbh. It's a product of a different Microsoft that the new leadership tried to save.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
MS knows crackdown is going to be ratings flop, late basically nonexistent marketing tells it all. Probably got bad ratings during there review process
I think Crackdown will do what it set out to do, and please fans of the original Crackdown. I think it'll also get new fans via Game Pass. And I also think Wrecking Zone will become relatively popular, especially if it's well supported through updates. I think it was a clever move (even if not by design) to have the game as a small, separate executable to the campaign.

But the game is unlikely to please the vast majority of critics and indeed I don't expect a MC score beyond the early 70s at best.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Crackdown 3 is as much a test-bed for cloud computing as anything else. If they get that to work, they can show devs what is possible with it, tech-wise. It'll also promote the commercial use of the servers to business as that's what the blades will be doing when not needed for games.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
So much worrying over how others will view the game/whether it'll flop or not, instead of wondering how you yourself will think of it.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think Crackdown will do what it set out to do, and please fans of the original Crackdown. I think it'll also get new fans via Game Pass. And I also think Wrecking Zone will become relatively popular, especially if it's well supported through updates. I think it was a clever move (even if not by design) to have the game as a small, separate executable to the campaign.

But the game is unlikely to please the vast majority of critics and indeed I don't expect a MC score beyond the early 70s at best.

Yeah..
The game being massively delay unfortunately puts a spotlight on it. All the drama surrounding it puts it in another level from other games. No matter how good it is, it will be heavily criticized.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Crackdown 3 is as much a test-bed for cloud computing as anything else. If they get that to work, they can show devs what is possible with it, tech-wise. It'll also promote the commercial use of the servers to business as that's what the blades will be doing when not needed for games.

It seems like Crackdown is a test bed for a lot of things, not just cloud computing. The limited press seems like they're trying to see how it can stand up on Gamepass by just word of mouth and banner adds, if it does well we may see more games launching day one on Gamepass without so much as an announcement more than a few months before. Remember the hype when Fallout 4 was announced, coming out in a few months? That could be a whole thing with Gamepass.

If I'm not mistaken it'll also be the biggest game yet to come out of MSGP, at least biggest I can think of.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So much worrying over how others will view the game/whether it'll flop or not, instead of wondering how you yourself will think of it.
I really enjoyed the original Crackdown - it was one of very few open world games that I have ever enjoyed. The traversing mechanics and orb collecting just totally sucked me in. Last year's Spider-Man is the closest I have got to that Crackdown feeling, and I really, really hope CD3 can scratch the itch of the original in a bigger way. But we've seen so little of the campaign, it's worrying. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're not wrong, but perception and success is relevant to the bigger picture. I'm 95% I will enjoy Crackdown 3, it looks like a more refined and more modern Crackdown 3 that doesn't reinvent the wheel, just makes it even more bombastic. I like Crackdown 1 and I think it mostly holds up to this day, so if there's more of that I'll be happy. However, if the game gets 40 on Metacritic and flops hard (not saying it will btw), that could damage the studios that made the game, which is not good. We'll see how it goes but how the game is received and how it sells is relevant to the future of the franchise and studios.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Considering how difficult it was to apparently get the cloud stuff working, I find it remarkable that there hasn't been a beta for CD3. And not in a good way.
The difficulty, at least in the more complete interviews seems more because back then MS didn't have enough servers able to run the simulation globally.

It was basically : OK the tech works, but if the person is not close to Ms cloud we are going to have problems. Let's try to reduce the latency needs even further, oh OK it's no longer a problem because now there are compute servers everywhere.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I think what I really loved about Crackdown - and what is still so rare in open world games - is that you had to actually climb buildings through platforming, so there was a real sense of achievement when you reached the top, or a balcony or ledge with a hidden orb. Games like Prototype, Infamous and Spider-Man etc - they let you run (or swing) up towers but it's not the same. Just simply running up a building as if it's the ground provides no sense of achievement when you get there, and no sense of wonder when you're at the bottom looking up wondering if there might be a hidden orb up there.

It's where BotW particularly excelled - rather than just being able to run up any mountain, you had to figure out a way to get up there. It made it so much more rewarding when you did, and provided so much more of a sense of wonder as you explore the environment.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what I really loved about Crackdown - and what is still so rare in open world games - is that you had to actually climb buildings through platforming, so there was a real sense of achievement when you reached the top, or a balcony or ledge with a hidden orb. Games like Prototype, Infamous and Spider-Man etc - they let you run (or swing) up towers but it's not the same. Just simply running up a building as if it's the ground provides no sense of achievement when you get there, and no sense of wonder when you're at the bottom looking up wondering if there might be a hidden orb up there.

It's where BotW particularly excelled - rather than just being able to run up any mountain, you had to figure out a way to get up there. It made it so much more rewarding when you did, and provided so much more of a sense of wonder as you explore the environment.

I agree. The shooting, the driving and other elements did not age that well, but the verticality of the platforming to get those orbs is still nearly unmatched in the genre. You actually need to figure out how to get to locations with your current skillset, and while you know that later you'll be able to jump higher, on the contrary you need more orbs to be able to jump higher so you have to find out whether reaching said orb(s) is even possible. A surprisingly "basic" game element that ended up being amazingly fun. With most open worlds today the matter is finding something, but once you've found it's actually easy to get it - I'd like more platforming challenges in my open world games for sure, and Crackdown 3 is set to deliver that.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
You're not wrong, but perception and success is relevant to the bigger picture. I'm 95% I will enjoy Crackdown 3, it looks like a more refined and more modern Crackdown 3 that doesn't reinvent the wheel, just makes it even more bombastic. I like Crackdown 1 and I think it mostly holds up to this day, so if there's more of that I'll be happy. However, if the game gets 40 on Metacritic and flops hard (not saying it will btw), that could damage the studios that made the game, which is not good. We'll see how it goes but how the game is received and how it sells is relevant to the future of the franchise and studios.
It's not going to get a 40MC, lol. High 60s at worst. And still, I say who cares?

Did SoD2 or SoT reviewing poorly affect either of those games or companies? Methinks not. Microsoft still bought Undead Labs who have continously updated the game, and it's had over 3million players. SoT has only been getting better as well, and is becoming extremely popular on Twitch.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I agree. The shooting, the driving and other elements did not age that well, but the verticality of the platforming to get those orbs is still nearly unmatched in the genre. You actually need to figure out how to get to locations with your current skillset, and while you know that later you'll be able to jump higher, on the contrary you need more orbs to be able to jump higher so you have to find out whether reaching said orb(s) is even possible. A surprisingly "basic" game element that ended up being amazingly fun. With most open worlds today the matter is finding something, but once you've found it's actually easy to get it - I'd like more platforming challenges in my open world games for sure, and Crackdown 3 is set to deliver that.
Yes, it's basically straight out of the Metroidvania rule book and I loved it.

More games should borrow the power-up and exploration mechanics from Metroidvanias, instead the obsession of shoe-horning in crafting and survival and all the other nonsense we see in every other AAA games these days. IMHO :D

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for this new episode of Inside Xbox! Looks like we should see Crackdown, as well as some new Xbox bundles for Anthem and the Division 2. I wonder if Microsoft might announce some of their other rumored initiatives as well. Namely, that discless Xbox One S as well as the disc to digital program. Both seem like a perfect Inside Xbox announcement.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's basically straight out of the Metroidvania rule book and I loved it.

More games should borrow the power-up and exploration mechanics from Metroidvanias, instead the obsession of shoe-horning in crafting and survival and all the other nonsense we see in every other AAA games these days. IMHO :D

Totally agree, because metroidvanias are awesome, and not enough 3D games do it well. The Tomb Raider reboot sort of did it, but then again it just presents you doors or paths that you quite visibly can't access yet, so there's no such thing as experimenting there, you just leave it for later. By far the best part in Crackdown is wondering what you can and what you can not do.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

BoldMarvelousKawala-size_restricted.gif

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
About the Crackdown debate: I think we're looking at a State of Decay situation. 6.5 game that will resonate with the fans of the original, improve on the original while masses won't understand why fans like it. I'm ok with this. Phil seemed ok with it too judging by his last interview. He said it was for Crackdown fans and that non Crackdown fans won't be converted.

My opinion is that the campaign was never meant to be anything more than a true sequel to the original game. It wasn't supposed to save Xbox or be anything extraordinary. It ended up feeling pressure due to the lack of other exclusives combined with the tech demo multiplayer attached to this game.

Crackdown was likely the game chosen to run the cloud compute demo because it's a low risk franchise to experiment with. There are no Crackdown multiplayer fans to disappoint. I think it's getting low hype because there are still question marks about this multiplayer component. If Anthem, a big game doing something not-so-innovative is having shit ton of issues then it's realistic to think anyone who tries this hybrid cloud compute thing for the first time will run into issues. Microsoft is preparing for that. Game can always get a re-release once they work out the inevitable bugs.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the Conker episodic series has been an idea I've had for a while.

Keep it AA, and I think the devs behind Super Lucky tale could do it

Please no. That game was terrible. I've already been disappointed twice with a Conker tease (Project Spark and MS AR), I can't take another. Give it to someone else, or keep it in house with Rare.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Feb 15 gonna be crazy for me, pre-ordered Metro Exodus and XGP is ready for Crackdown 3, ughhh.

Good thing Crackdown 3 is a good "2nd game" to go along with a story-oriented game, so no worries for me.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
My two cents about Crackdown. I think it will surprise people, I guessing an 82 Meta critic score falling from 84, because so weird rarely sited reviewer will give it a 4 without even playing through the game. l get the hate for the long development time, and the fact that it is a Microsoft 1st party game. What I don't get is the "Xbox fans" already casting the game aside before they even play it. I don't care what trolls, or Metacritic, or haters say about the game; I want to play it first to see if it is good or bad. If it is bad then I'll change my "82" prediction score to something more suitable.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I pre-ordered yesterday, about to leave for 6 months for the military so will have to play on PC (thank you play anywhere!). Gonna have all the time in the world to get all the orbs while I'm there!!!

Thank god they're about to start promoting it though, need to get the word out!
Thank you for your service - when you serve, that is. Lol

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was it ever officially announced? I thought that was still very much a "probably" not a "definitely", but I also had to uninstall Twitter because it was bumming me out, so I'm a bit behind on some things.

Klobrille tweeted about it and then in a video update from Rare they stated we will see more about Sea of Thieves on inside Xbox February 5th. Nothing else has been said that I have seen.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Was it ever officially announced? I thought that was still very much a "probably" not a "definitely", but I also had to uninstall Twitter because it was bumming me out, so I'm a bit behind on some things.
Rare said it is 5th Feb in their recent video blog.

I'd imagine we'll get something official as early as tomorrow.

I expect CD3, SoT, Anthem and Metro Exodus will all be featured in some form. And a couple of Game Pass announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.