• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the parties fiasco is gonna be the ultimate excuse for murder CD3 for a lot of people, but who is to blame but microsoft?

To be fair, look at the CD3 threads between GAF and Era. Even before the major delays and setbacks, the threads either faded into indifference or memed and shitposted to death about the cloud, Xbox having no games, etc.. The same thing happened to Scalebound, which went from "looks like shit" to "Microsoft canceled the most promising game ever" in a matter of days. I'm disappointed about the lack of a party feature, but do you honestly think most people here haven't made up their mind about this game already? Those who want to shit on it don't need this excuse to do so. Those who plan on having fun with it and are Crackdown fans will be slightly disappointed by this but they will still play it probably, except maybe for a couple people who were planning on picking it up just to play multiplayer with their buddies.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
They should've delayed mp until it was actually ready. There's no way this doesn't bite them in the ass. The core mp has potential, but it's not particularly deep. Not being able to play with friends basically kills it, imo.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I think the parties fiasco is gonna be the ultimate excuse for murder CD3 for a lot of people, but who is to blame but microsoft?

'parties fiaaco' might be a bit strong for what this is. It's definitely not a good thing, but this may be overly dramatic. It's not like Crackdown is a multiplayer only game, or even really being pitched as a big new wave in multiplayer. I'd call this a kerfuffle at best.

Dec 21, 2018
To be fair, look at the CD3 threads between GAF and Era. Even before the major delays and setbacks, the threads either faded into indifference or memed and shitposted to death about the cloud, Xbox having no games, etc.. The same thing happened to Scalebound, which went from "looks like shit" to "Microsoft canceled the most promising game ever" in a matter of days. I'm disappointed about the lack of a party feature, but do you honestly think most people here haven't made up their mind about this game already? Those who want to shit on it don't need this excuse to do so. Those who plan on having fun with it and are Crackdown fans will be slightly disappointed by this but they will still play it probably, except maybe for a couple people who were planning on picking it up just to play multiplayer with their buddies.

Fair point. I am still going to play it, and have fun with it both in multiplayer and single player.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Kinda crazy they pulled off pretty much everything they promised for this game only to fail on a rather basic feature. For all these years people doubted we will see this large-scale online destruction, but today here we are.

I just wish they would comment on it. Just say "yea it's coming in 4 / 6 / 8 / whatever weeks", and I think everyone would be at least okay with it.

Oct 27, 2017
While that IS true, unless this has been debunked, I believe 2K has rights to first refusal in terms of publishing a sequel. I remember seeing that said a lot when Outer Worlds was announced.

Usually, when a company does an agreement a sale/bankruptcy or some other major event is written in as cause for renegotiation. So first right of refusal for Take2 on a product that does not exist does is probably not happening. MS may have to do a little something to make Take2 whole but Take2 could not stop a sequel from being made.

MS keeping previously agreed to multiplats as multiplats is more financial and logistics that contractual.
Doing so allows for them to recoup funds, raise the profile of the devs involved, and avoid delaying the games while negotiations take place.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I think the Wrecking Zone party debacle is a pretty clear indication that Microsoft did give the development team a hard deadline to finish the game. Also, the idea that it's only launching with two game types, especially ones that I would argue don't show off the destruction technology in the best way possible, is pretty disappointing. I'm still excited for the single player and to drive the car that jumps and drives up buildings, but it feels like Microsoft missed the mark in a big, big way with this game.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
Thursday is going to be a fun day, because that review thread will be a fucking disaster
its probably going to get 6/10 from most of the major sites. Just glad its the end of the 2013 era game

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
And Amazon, and Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace...

The idea that gamestop and bestbuy are forcing him into this behavior is almost too silly to address. Almost.
"This behavior" lol you make it sound like I'm doing something horribly wrong. I'm operating completely within the guidelines established by Amazon. People return products they don't like all the time. There's no way I'm the only one.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's funny that Crackdown 3 started as a multiplayer only title that was having a campaign shoe horned in due to fan outrage to what will now feature a polished campaign and a multiplayer attempt that isn't even close to completion...what a weird dev cycle

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

I agree with you, but even if not being able to play with your friends is not the end of the world is a flaw that is almost imposible to excuse, and giving that MP is actually fun, and campaign looks actually fine enough, no parties capability is on what complainers are going to relay.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I think the Wrecking Zone party debacle is a pretty clear indication that Microsoft did give the development team a hard deadline to finish the game. Also, the idea that it's only launching with two game types, especially ones that I would argue don't show off the destruction technology in the best way possible, is pretty disappointing. I'm still excited for the single player and to drive the car that jumps and drives up buildings, but it feels like Microsoft missed the mark in a big, big way with this game.

What gave you that impression? I think the destruction is showcased really well.

As for the party support, perhaps you're right, but I'd wait for the official clarification. A game that uses cloud compute to this extent has not been attempted before, so I have to wonder if there are some technical considerations that people are not aware of.

Thursday is going to be a fun day, because that review thread will be a fucking disaster
its probably going to get 6/10 from most of the major sites. Just glad its the end of the 2013 era game

Thankfully, Friday is going to be a lot more fun, because that's when we finally get to play it.

And I think you're being way too pessimistic, I can easily see the game dividing opinions, and getting booth excellent and bad review scores.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It is very easy to let other people's opinions impact your gaming fun and choices, and I have even done so in the past. I think that Xbox Game Pass in particular has really helped me mature to where I actually only really care about what I think. The Crackdown 3 Wrecking Zone multiplayer was awesome during the test even though I understand the desire for party support (I also tweeted this at them as a request), and I intend to play the heck out of the campaign and multiplayer having fun regardless of negative crap being thrown around in reviews or online.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Based on impressions, shitposts, YouTube clickbait, $60 price and now no parties, cannot see Crackdown scoring higher than SoT and SoD2. Victim of 2015 overhype demo and being linked to the worst time period of Microsoft 1st/2nd party games...and following games like Red Dead, God of War and Spider-Man. Everything objective in life is viewed in context...and Crackdown 3 has some shitty context to work with.

I think if Apex was reviewed before gamers got hands on...in context of no Titanfall 3 and the shit show that has been EA as a publisher, it would've scored lower than it has releasing on no expectations.

Crackdown fans should just ignore reviews and enjoy the game. The metacritic isn't a problem for gamers to worry about. It's Microsofts problem and the incoming pile-on is an environment they created this gen. Count it as the Myerson regimes last stand and let's not worry about reviews messing up the fun.

As gamers, need to stop worrying about mega corporations inability to communicate and control expectations. They pay people big money to do that. Not our job.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
What gave you that impression? I think the destruction is showcased really well.
I just think it becomes much more interesting in objective-based modes like Capture the Flag. Imagine trying to run across building tops and bridges with the enemy flag while the other team is knocking down the buildings/bridges you're running across. Both one and two flag CTF could be awesome. What about a mode where each team has designated buildings on the map they need to bring down, so it becomes both knocking down the other team's buildings and stopping them from knocking down your own? Or just a single building on opposite ends of the map? What about a King of the Hill mode where the top of one building is the "hill" and remains the hill until the building is destroyed? What about an infected-type game where one person is "infected" and everyone else is survivors. The "survivors" don't have guns and need to run from the "infected?" When the survivors die, they respawn as infected.

The modes they've shown are fine, but it doesn't really feel like they're built for the destruction. The destruction is literally a game-changer, but if you don't think about how you can use it in new and creative ways that take advantage of how unique it is , it loses a bit of its luster.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
"This behavior" lol you make it sound like I'm doing something horribly wrong. I'm operating completely within the guidelines established by Amazon. People return products they don't like all the time. There's no way I'm the only one.

You're abusing a feature in a way it isn't intended. You aren't returning products you don't like, or that are broken - you are enjoying games enough to complete them, then returning them. As such your a leach on the market.

Then your claiming that you have no other choice because Best Buy and Gamestop trade-in values are poor, despite their being plenty of other popular options.

The fact that you are making silly excuses for it tells me you recognize that it isn't right, but for whatever reason, don't think you are actually to blame.

Is it "horribly wrong?" No, I don't think Amazon is going to suffer by your actions... But its wrong. Other people doing it too doesn't make it right.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
Good or bad reviews for CD3 will matter in a firt week or two, after that, people will move to shit on other games. Anyway, most important thing will be number of players and milestones game achieves. I will do my part for sure, already downloaded and waiting for release day.

Dec 21, 2018
I agree with you, but even if not being able to play with your friends is not the end of the world is a flaw that is almost imposible to excuse, and giving that MP is actually fun, and campaign looks actually fine enough, no parties capability is on what complainers are going to relay.

With the output from Xbox this generation being so paltry I am going to put their releases under the microscope and be a bit more scrutinizing than normal. If they had fired off a number of great 8-9/10 1st party games this generation it wouldn't matter nearly as much if something like this happened. It could be chalked up to a fun game with some technical hurdles. But they had a drip feed of exclusives with a number of them failing to meet the high standard of exclusives that Sony and Nintendo has put out in terms of polish, content, story, etc...

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Based on impressions, shitposts, YouTube clickbait, $60 price and now no parties, cannot see Crackdown scoring higher than SoT and SoD2. Victim of 2015 overhype demo and being linked to the worst time period of Microsoft 1st/2nd party games...and following games like Red Dead, God of War and Spider-Man. Everything objective in life is viewed in context...and Crackdown 3 has some shitty context to work with.

I think if Apex was reviewed before gamers got hands on...in context of no Titanfall 3 and the shit show that has been EA as a publisher, it would've scored lower than it has releasing on no expectations.

Crackdown fans should just ignore reviews and enjoy the game. The metacritic isn't a problem for gamers to worry about. It's Microsofts problem and the incoming pile-on is an environment they created this gen. Count it as the Myerson regimes last stand and let's not worry about reviews messing up the fun.

As gamers, need to stop worrying about mega corporations inability to communicate and control expectations. They pay people big money to do that. Not our job.
I can't agree more with all you have said

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
With the output from Xbox this generation being so paltry I am going to put their releases under the microscope and be a bit more scrutinizing than normal. If they had fired off a number of great 8-9/10 1st party games this generation it wouldn't matter nearly as much if something like this happened. It could be chalked up to a fun game with some technical hurdles. But they had a drip feed of exclusives with a number of them failing to meet the high standard of exclusives that Sony and Nintendo has put out in terms of polish, content, story, etc...
I wonder if Sea of Thieves is going to help to revert that tendency in the long run. Microsoft had certain fame of abanoning support of projects that failed. I think SoT is the first unexpected success of the Spencer era.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I just think it becomes much more interesting in objective-based modes like Capture the Flag. Imagine trying to run across building tops and bridges with the enemy flag while the other team is knocking down the buildings/bridges you're running across. Both one and two flag CTF could be awesome. What about a mode where each team has designated buildings on the map they need to bring down, so it becomes both knocking down the other team's buildings and stopping them from knocking down your own? Or just a single building on opposite ends of the map? What about a King of the Hill mode where the top of one building is the "hill" and remains the hill until the building is destroyed? What about an infected-type game where one person is "infected" and everyone else is survivors. The "survivors" don't have guns and need to run from the "infected?" When the survivors die, they respawn as infected.

The modes they've shown are fine, but it doesn't really feel like they're built for the destruction. The destruction is literally a game-changer, but if you don't think about how you can use it in new and creative ways that take advantage of how unique it is , it loses a bit of its luster.

Not sure how you can say that with all the clips we've seen from the technical test, they personally felt like they utilised destruction well. Also weird due to your infected mode idea not actually sounding like it would use the destruction at all.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Not sure how you can say that with all the clips we've seen from the technical test, they personally felt like they utilised destruction well. Also weird due to your infected mode idea not actually sounding like it would use the destruction at all.
I can see how you'd feel that way having not actually played the mode yet, but, I actually did play in the technical test and a lot of the clips you're seeing are people just shooting down buildings to shoot them down, not as part of the gameplay. It has limited applications in the "Agent Hunt" environment that is the primary game mode. The infected mode puts an emphasis on the platforming aspect (which is what Crackdown is, more so than a shooter) and give players a reason to hide in buildings while other players attempt to break in.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I can see how you'd feel that way having not actually played the mode yet, but, I actually did play in the technical test and a lot of the clips you're seeing are people just shooting down buildings to shoot them down, not as part of the gameplay. It has limited applications in the "Agent Hunt" environment that is the primary game mode. The infected mode puts an emphasis on the platforming aspect (which is what Crackdown is, more so than a shooter) and give players a reason to hide in buildings while other players attempt to break in.

Eh? I've played for 2 hours, so know how it plays. During my time, buildings came down as I targeted players from below, who scrambled up to get away from me.

I mentioned your Infected idea was weird, as you criticised the destruction prior, yet came up with an idea that wouldn't make much use of it.

Dec 21, 2018
I wonder if Sea of Thieves is going to help to revert that tendency in the long run. Microsoft had certain fame of abanoning support of projects that failed. I think SoT is the first unexpected success of the Spencer era.

Sea of Thieves is a good example of improvement. I think it will continue to get better. The success they had with SoT so far hasn't been easy though. They've had to claw their way to it from release till now.

A lot of their games released feel like they needed a bit more time in oven, but they either needed to release then or have an even worse 1st party release schedule. Besides Forza Horizon saving the day, they've had a number of titles that are essentially Summer of Arcade titles that have come out feeling content complete with a nice polish (CupHead, Ori..)

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
You're abusing a feature in a way it isn't intended. You aren't returning products you don't like, or that are broken - you are enjoying games enough to complete them, then returning them. As such your a leach on the market.

Then your claiming that you have no other choice because Best Buy and Gamestop trade-in values are poor, despite their being plenty of other popular options.

The fact that you are making silly excuses for it tells me you recognize that it isn't right, but for whatever reason, don't think you are actually to blame.

Is it "horribly wrong?" No, I don't think Amazon is going to suffer by your actions... But its wrong. Other people doing it too doesn't make it right.
I only return games I do not like. The recent ones being Detroit Become Human and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I wouldn't return a game I was completely happy with. By the halfway point of Tomb Raider, I decided I don't like it and should return it, but I still had like 20 something days to do it so I figured I may as well finish it. Don't see the harm in that.

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
They own the IP, but many have speculated that The Private Division owns the publishing rights to any sequel, or at the very least, a right of first refusal.
I think with the IP listed as a Microsoft ip and Microsoft themselves been publishers I think if private division had any rights in terms of the first sequel we would have known by now..all we can do is take that as a speculation..I have not seen anyone reputable say anything to that extent so you fill me on the speculations you talk of and where they are coming from

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Judging by the new Shawn Layden interview, it seems like Microsoft will remain alone in the Game Pass-like space for the foreseeable future (since their stated goal is to focus on shipping fewer, bigger games going forward, instead of having a steady stream of both small and big titles, which is the approach that seems to be driving Microsoft's expansion at the moment). It's an interesting opportunity for Xbox to capitalize on.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I only return games I do not like. The recent ones being Detroit Become Human and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I wouldn't return a game I was completely happy with. By the halfway point of Tomb Raider, I decided I don't like it and should return it, but I still had like 20 something days to do it so I figured I may as well finish it. Don't see the harm in that.

Ofcourse you don't. You're just doing what you gotta do because of gamestop.

Dec 21, 2018
When does everyone expect either more substantial rumors of what Microsoft is working on, or when they will officially state what is coming down their pipeline? This E3 2019? 2020? So far I've only seen some small teases but nothing really weighty.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Judging by the new Shawn Layden interview, it seems like Microsoft will remain alone in the Game Pass-like space for the foreseeable future (since their stated goal is to focus on shipping fewer, bigger games going forward, instead of having a steady stream of both small and big titles, which is the approach that seems to be driving Microsoft's expansion at the moment). It's an interesting opportunity for Xbox to capitalize on.
Talked about their main intention - "diversity" - months and months ago already. You find this key word in many of their tentative strategy papers.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat. My Crackdown 3 review code just arrived in my inbox.

Btw, the embargo is pretty strict, so if anyone has said when it lifts, they have broken the NDA.

Aug 26, 2018

I would love to see FH5 include a SP Campaign similar to the Story mode in Madden & FIFA. Here's my thinking:

1. Its easier to relate to Characters than Cars and will generate more emotions.
2. FH4 was a solid upgrade over FH3 but expectations for FH5 will be even higher and a Story Mode will be a nice twist.
3. FH5 will have 3 years of Dev unlike FH4, so it will be a year extra of Dev time which will be perfect for this.

What do you guys think?

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone ordered Crackdown 3 from Best Buy? It says that it's arriving February 18th at my location and not the 15th.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
SoD2 gets a bad rep. It's honestly better than the first in nearly every way, and the first is one of my favorite games of the 360.

I only wish zombies wouldn't spawn near enclaves. So annoying trying to read dialog or trade, only to be rudely interrupted by a couple of zeds.
I'm not sure I agree with that.

On paper it's better, but they changed some qol aspects for the worse and made the game a really chore to play.

Don't know if they fixed it with updates, as I played only on launch, but I dropped SoD2 really fast while the first I pretty much did everything I could possibly do in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.