• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2017
Maybe crackdown 3 just sucks? I know it's hard to consider but the game is going to be mediocre because its mediocre. Out with the old in with the new xbox games

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
What events are coming up where MS will be present?

MWC - This month (25 - 28 Feb), looks like HoloLens will be the focus.

GDC - March 18 - 23, Gaming.

BUILD - May 6 - 8

E3 - June, Xbox.

Anything else?

I won't be surprised another XO this year I can see Phil using to hype up for the new year *2020

Aug 26, 2018
Seriously? That's a low bar...
Embargo was delayed.

Listen, I am a CD3 fan. But I know I am in the minority, if it does 65 and more, I be very surprised.
I can see Crackdown getting into the 50's.

I think it will be between 65-70. From what I have seen of SP and played MP, it doesn't seem bad, I went into MP wanting to have a good time and I had a good time, I expect the same with SP.

My theory, game reviewers will treat CD3 with an inch more of softness/compassion knowing what it went through. Jim Sterling and a few others will rip it no matter what. So, I have hopes.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to disagree with that. I know movies and games aren't the same thing, but look at Netflix, they're making a sequel to Bright, and Bright was hardly a critical or fan darling. If anything, gamepass success can mean more than retail success, 10 million copies is 600 million dollars once, 10 million gamepass subscribers in 100 million dollars a month potentially forever. I'm not actually trying to say one success is better than the other, even though I just said that verbatim, I'm just saying they're different.

Bright was very, very successful on Netflix.

If Crackdown 3 get hit that equivalent, there won't be a question as to whether or not it'll get a sequel.

It's just a moderate hit though, I think MS are likely to consider spending those resources more wisely. I think that's a reasonable take on it.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I think it will be between 65-70. From what I have seen of SP and played MP, it doesn't seem bad, I went into MP wanting to have a good time and I had a good time, I expect the same with SP.

My theory, game reviewers will treat CD3 with an inch more of softness/compassion knowing what it went through. Jim Sterling and a few others will rip it no matter what. So, I have hopes.

I actually agree that CD3 will settle in the high 60s (maaaybe low 70s) but I wouldn't consider it very impressive even taking the dev hell into account.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
While i have no interest in the game I don't think CD3 looks as bad as people make it out to be.

jobbe1978

Jan 18, 2018
Italy
Sirs, I'd like to put aside all this Metacritic narrative.
Sea of Thieves already proved to be much more successful than what that useless site said.
Thanks

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I'm not sure I agree with that.

On paper it's better, but they changed some qol aspects for the worse and made the game a really chore to play.

Don't know if they fixed it with updates, as I played only on launch, but I dropped SoD2 really fast while the first I pretty much did everything I could possibly do in that game.
What made it a chore for you?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I can already tell I'm going to love Crackdown 3 based on all of the videos. Metacritic score is meaningless thanks to Game Pass.

Aug 26, 2018
Sea of Thieves already proved to be much more successful than what that useless site said.
Thanks

It became successful because Rare worked very very hard to deliver sizable content updates & Quality of Life improvements and took that criticism of lack of content to heart.

CD3 should not stop at launch, keep delivering new maps, DLCs, new agents, MP Balance updates atleast for 1 year like all of MS's 1st Party Studios.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks

Exactly. Sea of Thieves was my GotY last year and if I can get half hours and enjoyment out of Crackdown then that's a major result.

I was only giving my MC guess like everyone else and my 55 was just based off of the previews and the general tone that surrounds the game. It was always going to be judged more criticaĺly, deservedly or not

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It's funny that Crackdown 3 started as a multiplayer only title that was having a campaign shoe horned in due to fan outrage to what will now feature a polished campaign and a multiplayer attempt that isn't even close to completion...what a weird dev cycle

Is this true? I don't remember this being the case, I remember there was a point where the multiplayer was going to be playable before the campaign, but I don't ever remember there not being a campaign.

Dec 21, 2018
The good news about the release of CD3 is that Xbox will fully be in the Spencer Era of game development afterwards and we get to see how all the new investments/leadership plays out.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
When does everyone expect either more substantial rumors of what Microsoft is working on, or when they will officially state what is coming down their pipeline? This E3 2019? 2020? So far I've only seen some small teases but nothing really weighty.

Might see some more rumors or leaks for the next e3 pop up around GDC, which is in early March. Not sure what you mean about an official statement of what's coming down the pipe though.

E3 2019 they'll announce games that are probably releasing this year or early next year, and they'll announce any acquisitions or new studios that are reasonably finalized by that time. They'll probably also tease next gen hardware, but I wouldn't expect a full announcement until 2020 (that's just me, could happen but I don't expect it)

If you're asking when they'll give us a detailed road map of what games they're planning to release, what IPs they're planning to revive, and how many studios they're planning to acquire or stand up, my guess would be never.

Like yeah Microsoft is a different company than it was 6 years ago, but I wouldn't expect that drastic of a change. They'll probably still announce and tease games about the same way they always have, except now they'll do it closer to release to avoid situations like Scalebound or Crackdown 3.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
What made it a chore for you?
On the first you could call home so one of your survivors would go to your current location and gather the resources. There was a penalty, but it was a good way to let you tackle the random quests without having to constantly stop to grab and deliver supplies to your base.

The second game is often incredibly obtuse with supplies rotting or breaking. Like you just dropped a large supply, go back to the mission, 5 minutes later someone sends a message they decided to do something stupid and half of the supplies you brought were lost.

The terrain is just horrible. On the first you could cover a large area off the road, both with cars and on foot. Now everything is too steep for your char to go on either, and going through the roads you spent way too much time.

On top of that the car fuel drain super fast so it's another resource the game is constantly making you look for it.

IIRC on the first game there were more gamey assists you could request over the radio. Which could make a character sustain much longer in the outside, which was great for solving many quests at once if you liked it. Now you have to make it back to the base way more often.

I think there's more, but a general feeling is that on the second the game goes out of its way to annoy you with resources and you lost a significant amount of time just to manage that. While on the first game it felt like those were points that you had to take into mind it didn't come into the way of your enjoyment.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Bright was very, very successful on Netflix.

If Crackdown 3 get hit that equivalent, there won't be a question as to whether or not it'll get a sequel.

It's just a moderate hit though, I think MS are likely to consider spending those resources more wisely. I think that's a reasonable take on it.

That's my point though, Bright was successful in the Netflix model, but it reviewed extremely poorly, and it obviously didn't move merchandise or sell tickets or dvds like a traditional blockbuster would, I can't find a figure but I'd doubt it drove subscription growth much either.

But people enjoyed it a lot and people watched it a lot. Crackdowns on gamepass, people might sub to gamepass for Ori, or Gears, or Sea of Thieves, but if they play Crackdown while they're there, its got a good chance of getting a sequel.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Was that revealed in an interview or something? I always understood it to have both SP and MP, the announcement trailer itself was essentially a campaign trailer.

Yea I'm not recalling any of this. I remember the multiplayer/cloud stuff being shown off pretty prevalently, but I don't ever recall anything about there not being a single player campaign.

I DO remember from the get-go that they stated the cloud stuff was only going to be in multiplayer.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Maybe crackdown 3 just sucks? I know it's hard to consider but the game is going to be mediocre because its mediocre. Out with the old in with the new xbox games

I think we should accept that there is a lot of area between 'a disaster' and 'GOTY' and a game like Crackdown 3 can perfectly fit in between those. Just like something as Darksiders.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to talk about Crackdown 3 after 1 hour of campaign gameplay.

No mention of using a reaction gif in the NDA though...

Aug 26, 2018
Playing Apex Legends a lot and I cannot help but feel that Halo's movement, Gunplay and TTK would have been the perfect recipe for BR.

I know lot of you will say, here we go, we don't need another Fortnite/PUBG BR clone but if its good and fun, why not? Halo has ALL the ingredients, they even had Warzone which could have been reworked into a BR game.

They have taken the 'Halo keeps following trends' rhetoric to heart which isn't bad advice but not good either. I know Halo Infinite will be amazing but they have 500+ people in the Studio working on 1 game? ( MCC has too few people working on it anywayz)

Jez said he knows of another Halo game in the works at 343 in his podcast with Rand. Could it be the BR game that releases this fall?

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's my point though, Bright was successful in the Netflix model, but it reviewed extremely poorly, and it obviously didn't move merchandise or sell tickets or dvds like a traditional blockbuster would, I can't find a figure but I'd doubt it drove subscription growth much either.

But people enjoyed it a lot and people watched it a lot. Crackdowns on gamepass, people might sub to gamepass for Ori, or Gears, or Sea of Thieves, but if they play Crackdown while they're there, its got a good chance of getting a sequel.

We don't disagree that critical reception won't be as much of an obstacle as normal. I'm just saying I'm taking it as a given CD3 will have enough success on Game Pass for MS.

I think it needs to be very, very encouraging to MS to fund a sequel.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I would love to see FH5 include a SP Campaign similar to the Story mode in Madden & FIFA. Here's my thinking:

1. Its easier to relate to Characters than Cars and will generate more emotions.
2. FH4 was a solid upgrade over FH3 but expectations for FH5 will be even higher and a Story Mode will be a nice twist.
3. FH5 will have 3 years of Dev unlike FH4, so it will be a year extra of Dev time which will be perfect for this.

What do you guys think?

For FM, yes, that series needs drama. FH, not so much.

It became successful because Rare worked very very hard to deliver sizable content updates & Quality of Life improvements and took that criticism of lack of content to heart.

CD3 should not stop at launch, keep delivering new maps, DLCs, new agents, MP Balance updates atleast for 1 year like all of MS's 1st Party Studios.

Definitely. Elbow Rocket/Ruffian are the MP devs, right?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In this scenario is Joe Staten basically Will Smith?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Yea I'm not recalling any of this. I remember the multiplayer/cloud stuff being shown off pretty prevalently, but I don't ever recall anything about there not being a single player campaign.

I DO remember from the get-go that they stated the cloud stuff was only going to be in multiplayer.

Was that revealed in an interview or something? I always understood it to have both SP and MP, the announcement trailer itself was essentially a campaign trailer.
Yes, it was going to be MP only...

Same, I remember early on them saying you could play through the whole campaign in 4 player co-op, and the oldest article I was able to find about the game was from 2015, and even it refers to the game being divided in to two parts, a story driven campaign and multi-player mode with destruction. And that was the year after it was first revealed.

If it was ever announced as multi-player only it must have been very early on. Even when the game was going by just Crackdown instead of Crackdown 3 I know it was meant to have a story, because it was stated that the story would be an alternate time line to the other two games, or that Crackdown 2 was an alternate time line. Something about time lines.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The good news about the release of CD3 is that Xbox will fully be in the Spencer Era of game development afterwards and we get to see how all the new investments/leadership plays out.

You do know he was GM of Microsoft Game Studios since before he became EVP right?

He's been in charge of game development for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.