• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy about bombastic games like Fortnite and Apex.

MP is crowded as fuck. The more MS is encouraged to focus on SP games the better. Gimme more games like Hellblade and the The Outer Worlds. I'd love to have come co-op games added to the protfolio and a bunch of games that do SP and MP really well like Gears, but I want the main focus on SP.

Aug 26, 2018

MP is crowded as fuck. The more MS is encouraged to focus on SP games the better. Gimme more games like Hellblade and the The Outer Worlds. I'd love to have come co-op games added to the protfolio and a bunch of games that do SP and MP really well like Gears, but I want the main focus on SP.

Apex Legends, PUBG and Fornite have sold more than 100 Million copies, MP is where the money is.

Games like Apex Legends will help fund Titanfalls and A Way Outs of this world.

MS needs GaaS content to fund other games like Hellblade, Super Lucky's Tale etc and boost GP.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can someone explain to me how the whole situation would play out? With MS/Obsidian owning the IP but Private Division having a rite of refusal.

Obsidian/MS own the IP would they say to Private Division we are making this game and it will be for Xbox/PC, Want to Publish it? and if they don't want to then MS could publish it?

Or would it be more like, Obsidian say they want to make The Outer Worlds 2 and then it's down to Private Division to say we want it on Xbox, PC and PS and then MS decide if they want to go multiplat again with it or have to try and buy the publishing rights/scrap any chance of a sequel.
Honestly I can only see two scenarios:
1) Microsoft and Private Division negotiate, allowing Microsoft to take over the publishing duties for The Outer Worlds sequels.
2) Microsoft and Private Division can't reach a deal, and no sequel is made.

Once the obligations made prior to the acquisitions are met, Microsoft is going to publish all the games from their new studios. They didn't make these acquisitions just to have a third party publisher take a cut of their new games.

Apr 6, 2018
Red Faction Guerilla though...
That meme didn't aged well
Man thinking about Crackdown's server tech - i can't help but think about the possibilities beyond physics.

Imagine how many more PvE enemies Warzone could handle and How much more complex their routines could be if the CPU load was being shared across multiple servers.
Well depends on how. The mp designer of gears said, for example, that a character in gears is way heavier than average due to the complex set of animations. This could help.
Kinda off-topic perhaps, but I started playing Fable Anniversary on PC last night. Keep in mind I hadnt played since the original Fable released on Xbox. Man I still love that game so much. It was an RPG that was right up my alley, doesn't try to bog you down with quests while you're doing other quests like Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Has a pretty fun combat system. There's too many games coming out to demand I give each one 100+ hours of my life, so I like that Fable wasn't Skyrim-big.

I can't wait to see what Playground Games does for the inevitable return for the franchise. I have nothing but the highest confidence in that team. A great side-benefit now is that since Microsoft acquired Obsidian and InXile, Playground has two very historic studios to bounce ideas off of in terms of making sure they have great RPG systems and the player agency is as varied/detailed as can be.

Perhaps we could get a remaster of Fable 2(hell, 1&2 please) on Unreal 4 while we wait for the new Fable?? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
If their aim is a reboot I wouldn't be confident of a remastered

bildschirmfoto2019-02xokko.png

Whatever they are looking at here - Darrell looks very happy about it ... :D

I whish that in 2019 we had blade runner's tech
Have you played 3? I played 2 and liked it quite a bit. 2 to 3 is one of the biggest improvements I've ever seen in a series though (in pretty much every way). So playing 2 might make you appreciate 3 more.
Depends. On quest and narrative tw3 is way worst than 2, pushing for an ow had its price
The Witcher 1 > The Witcher 2 >>> The Witcher 3.

The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPG of the last decade so if you haven't played it, go.
Yes man
I think it is fair to say that we prob wont see CD4 for a long time.

And if CD does come back, I suspect a reboot is the way to go.
WHY reboot crackdown? What kind of blank space you need?
Interesting, source?
A 343 guy in one of the last streams, maybe the November one
Why is it that anytime I read an article on The initiative the writers end up saying "they're hiring so they can develop a game like God if war or uncharted" why is the need for them to bring that up..I find it so cringeworthy..The initiative does not have any directive like that from Microsoft..the are supposed to be a pace setting studio..just annoys me how for some all Xbox game studios are supposed to mimic something from different platforms
Say them that they hired the multiplayer lead engineer from Halo and LOL, William Archbell
CD3 being successful on Game Pass alone won't be enough.

It still needs be a viable game at retail as a AAA game.

More importantly, degrees of success matter.

MS spent nearly 5 years develop the game with all manner of obstacles leading to set back after set back. Even if that wasn't the case, it's not enough to be moderate success, it needs to be a clear success that justifies a sequel and further investment in the growth of the franchise.

In that regard, I have doubts CD3 will be successful enough to warrant greenlighting a sequel. Granted, I could be dead wrong about that, but I think it's a reasonable concern.

Quite pessimistically, I don't think CD3 will find a large enough audience and substantial enough success for MS to justify funding a sequel, even if the turn around on that would be far shorter than the development period for this CD3.

Regardless of whether it's CD4 or not, I do think MS will and should continue to working with Sumo Digital.
We don't know which is the break event for greenlight a sequel, but I'm pretty sure that they knows how gamepass works and have realistic expectations
Halo RPG has to be a reality soon right? right?
A halo complete rpg, real rpg, not wathever bethesda or ubisoft are doing, will be a YES for me. Rpg elements in the campaign? Fuck no
If 343 wants to make a Halo RPG, let them, but don't have another studio work on Halo. I would much rather see new ideas and properties than two studios making Halo at the same time, especially with the perception that Halo is getting a bit stale. Reinventing Halo in a new way would help that perception, but not if it's in addition to the regularly scheduled FPS instead of replacing it.
WHY worrying about things like perception of the masses? People were hyped af or a fallout multiplayer experience and hated the idea of a battleroyale titanfall. Those things changes.
Does Crackdown 3 really need a sequel? It's not a prestige name or anything, seems like they'd be better off trying a new IP or something.
Yes, absolutely
I was waiting until the game was in prime form before really giving it a go. How was that DLC that was supposed to make the game harder? One of my initial complaints was the lack of tension I felt because zombies were generally not that threatening unless you let your guard down or got careless.
Yep, difficulty is low if you take care, if you start going leeroy Jenkins game will hit you once you forget to check the character stats.
Thursday is going to be a fun day, because that review thread will be a fucking disaster
its probably going to get 6/10 from most of the major sites. Just glad its the end of the 2013 era game
Immagine if they will greenlight cd4
After FH1 they seemed to completely abandon any attempt at having a "story," unfortunately. Wish they'd work on that more.
Nah that was cringe stuff. Better the over the top and extremely silly situations of fh4
Maybe crackdown 3 just sucks? I know it's hard to consider but the game is going to be mediocre because its mediocre. Out with the old in with the new xbox games
Because I'm a fan of the previous and I know what I want and I convinced that the game will deliver?
SXSW in mid March promises exciting news around The MCC.

Reach, PC port, who knows...
99% it's esport stuff
Sirs, I'd like to put aside all this Metacritic narrative.
Sea of Thieves already proved to be much more successful than what that useless site said.
Thanks
My favorites games of the last three years didn't reached the 80s in Mc.
I think we should accept that there is a lot of area between 'a disaster' and 'GOTY' and a game like Crackdown 3 can perfectly fit in between those. Just like something as Darksiders.
Darksiders 3 is my goty, don't do this to me.
Playing Apex Legends a lot and I cannot help but feel that Halo's movement, Gunplay and TTK would have been the perfect recipe for BR.

I know lot of you will say, here we go, we don't need another Fortnite/PUBG BR clone but if its good and fun, why not? Halo has ALL the ingredients, they even had Warzone which could have been reworked into a BR game.

They have taken the 'Halo keeps following trends' rhetoric to heart which isn't bad advice but not good either. I know Halo Infinite will be amazing but they have 500+ people in the Studio working on 1 game? ( MCC has too few people working on it anywayz)

Jez said he knows of another Halo game in the works at 343 in his podcast with Rand. Could it be the BR game that releases this fall?
When Jez said that? Klobrille found other informations about another halo which turned out to be mcc.
Plus I don't think br will works.
It's a strange market, we have a new hit each year, overwatch, pubg, maybe Apex legends will kill fortnite, who could predict it?
Into my veins
If MS retains the rights to The Outer Worlds, that's an automatic new pillar IP.

Speaking of pillars.

I think an open world Pillars of Eternity game could be even better, and Sawyer has talked about how that's something the Eternity team really would love to do.

With TOW and PoE, MS would basically have its first party Fallout and Elder Scrolls equivalents.
or me and da
Open world Pillars sounds fantastic. It would be Obsidians' equivalent of Dragon Age.

Xbox would have RPGs in practically every major genre, or close enough. This doesn't even count what InXile will be doing for their new.project.
Da never was open world, more like open big areas, which is way better for level design and pacing
Yeah, but they do have validity. Games that score well, sell well and sell the console that they're on and services you need to run it. To say otherwise is just ignorant.
In the same universe of raimbow six siege and fortnite?

Please be horde. I need to blow up minions and bosses from campaign while buildings fall in the background

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Yeah, but they do have validity. Games that score well, sell well and sell the console that they're on and services you need to run it. To say otherwise is just ignorant.

Unfortunately, that's not always the case, and the opposite is not always true either, but I really don't want to get into the whole aggregate score debate yet again, it's been beaten to death. I just wanted to point out that saying that Crackdown 3 (or any other game) will deserve its aggregate score is bizarre and meaningless, when all of the separate scores, no matter what they are who who they're from, are of equal value. What score a game deserves is something that each player has to decide for themselves.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Apex is probably doing some good Dollars for MS. Those Azure servers for 25 Million players won't be cheap.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
On the first you could call home so one of your survivors would go to your current location and gather the resources. There was a penalty, but it was a good way to let you tackle the random quests without having to constantly stop to grab and deliver supplies to your base.

The second game is often incredibly obtuse with supplies rotting or breaking. Like you just dropped a large supply, go back to the mission, 5 minutes later someone sends a message they decided to do something stupid and half of the supplies you brought were lost.

The terrain is just horrible. On the first you could cover a large area off the road, both with cars and on foot. Now everything is too steep for your char to go on either, and going through the roads you spent way too much time.

On top of that the car fuel drain super fast so it's another resource the game is constantly making you look for it.

IIRC on the first game there were more gamey assists you could request over the radio. Which could make a character sustain much longer in the outside, which was great for solving many quests at once if you liked it. Now you have to make it back to the base way more often.

I think there's more, but a general feeling is that on the second the game goes out of its way to annoy you with resources and you lost a significant amount of time just to manage that. While on the first game it felt like those were points that you had to take into mind it didn't come into the way of your enjoyment.
Fair points, but I think you should try going back to it sometimes. Regular updates fixed a lot of the grievances like survivors being stupid with resource waste. Certain enclaves and survivors, when you unlock their hero abilities allow you access to certain commands on the radio, like health/stanima recovery.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apex Legends, PUBG and Fornite have sold more than 100 Million copies, MP is where the money is.

MS needs GaaS content to fund other games like Hellblade, Super Lucky's Tale etc and boost GP.

MS not contending with Apex Legends and Fortnite unless they publish across multiple platforms.

That's not their way of doing things anytime soon.

Making varied content for Game Pass is a very viable business that they're pursuing.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apex is probably doing some good Dollars for MS. Those Azure servers for 25 Million players won't be cheap.

I'm sure it is and MS don't even have to develop a game like that to profit from it.

We do have exceptions like Minecraft right?

Minecraft is in a league of its own.

You don't just design a game with reach like that, it just happens and you ride that wave as far as it'll go.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me how the whole situation would play out? With MS/Obsidian owning the IP but Private Division having a rite of refusal.

Obsidian/MS own the IP would they say to Private Division we are making this game and it will be for Xbox/PC, Want to Publish it? and if they don't want to then MS could publish it?

Or would it be more like, Obsidian say they want to make The Outer Worlds 2 and then it's down to Private Division to say we want it on Xbox, PC and PS and then MS decide if they want to go multiplat again with it or have to try and buy the publishing rights/scrap any chance of a sequel.

Xbox needs to pay the Private Division a sum of money, just how much that is has a few variables in play.

It'll happen or else no one is getting paid and that just doesn't make sense for any party.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
You just had Apex Legends, a BR game beome the new sensation of 2019. Fortnite, a BR game beome the sensation of 2018. PUBG, a BR game the sensation of 2017.

See a pattern?

There's money on the table, question is does Xbox want some?

Phil is on the record as saying, at least I think it was Phil I'll have to find the quote, that Microsoft isn't interested in making a BR game just to make a BR game, and the only reason they would make one is if they felt they had something genuinely new to offer the genre. Will return later with the source for this.

EDIT: specifically 343i commenting on it
Phil talking about it (won't let me create a link)
https://screenrant.com/xbox-no-battle-royale-game/

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I always wonder about this. Will Apex fund Titanfall 3, or will it fund more Apex skins/maps/etc? The latter is seemingly the financial bet with both a higher floor and higher ceiling. Along those lines, as a a Nintendo fan I can buy as much Nintendo merch as I want, it's never going to fund a new F-Zero. :P

MS obviously doesn't need help funding anything, so it's always curious to me what their process is to decide to fund games with less sales potential.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I mean, sure, but the multiplayer is launching with three maps and two game modes with no information about progression or unlockables (which I think we can safely assume is non-existent). We also haven't gotten any concrete information about post-launch support of any kind. Plus, the game is launching without the ability to play with your friends in competitive multiplayer.

You can deflect all you want, but Microsoft will probably deserve the poor reviews the game is likely to get. It doesn't matter if you build the most fantastic castle in the world if you build it on a foundation made of sand. There's not a massive media conspiracy against Microsoft. This game is launching without a lot of core features that many in the industry view as "standard" and the reviews will reflect that fact.

This sounds an aweful lot like I read prior to Sea of Thieves launching, except with an emphasis on even less content than Crackdown 3 has.

Yet, somehow, even with tons of bad reviews, Sea of Thieves is still marching forward and has beaten all expectations by both Microsoft and especially by these reviewers.

If we trusted reviews that focused on "missing features" and "lack of content" and made all of our gaming decisions off of those, then the world would have easily missed out on games like Final Fantasy 14, Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, Astroneer, and tons of other amazing games.

If anything, twisting your analogy, these games have been built on a foundation of steel reinforced concrete that is multiple layers deep underground with a parking garage capable of containing thousands of cars for future residents. It got a great foundation and with a properly motivated team, it could turn into a skyscraper over the coming months or years.

Aug 26, 2018
Phil is on the record as saying, at least I think it was Phil I'll have to find the quote, that Microsoft isn't interested in making a BR game just to make a BR game, and the only reason they would make one is if they felt they had something genuinely new to offer the genre. Will return later with the source for this.

EDIT: specifically 343i commenting on it
Phil talking about it (won't let me create a link)
https://screenrant.com/xbox-no-battle-royale-game/

I realize Xbox has all 3 games mentioned above n makes crazy money of them but this whole "I don't want to make a BR game just to make a BR game " is like saying "I don't want to make a new Gears/Halo/Forza game just for the sake of making them" when they do exactly that.

Why not use your most valuable IP and create a decent BR game a lot of Halo fans will definitely play with a talented studio, resources, server, MP expertise, GaaS narrative, GP content ?

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I realize Xbox has all 3 games mentioned above n makes crazy money of them but this whole "I don't want to make a BR game just to make a BR game " is like saying "I don't want to make a new Gears/Halo/Forza game just for the sake of making them" when they do exactly that.

Why not use your most valuable IP and create a decent BR game a lot of Halo fans will definitely play with a talented studio, resources, server, MP expertise, GaaS narrative, GP content ?
Who knows how long this trend will last. I'd rather they put that time and effort into other areas than a BR game I'll never play. CoD had to cut out its campaign just to have one, I won't want to see that continue.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
This sounds an aweful lot like I read prior to Sea of Thieves launching, except with an emphasis on even less content than Crackdown 3 has.

Yet, somehow, even with tons of bad reviews, Sea of Thieves is still marching forward and has beaten all expectations by both Microsoft and especially by these reviewers.

If we trusted reviews that focused on "missing features" and "lack of content" and made all of our gaming decisions off of those, then the world would have easily missed out on games like Final Fantasy 14, Minecraft, Sea of Thieves, Astroneer, and tons of other amazing games.

If anything, twisting your analogy, these games have been built on a foundation of steel reinforced concrete that is multiple layers deep underground with a parking garage capable of containing thousands of cars for future residents. It got a great foundation and with a properly motivated team, it could turn into a skyscraper over the coming months or years.
Yeah, you know what else you do with games like that? Lose consumers that won't try your games again. I don't think Sea of Thieves has had this crazy revival, like so many in this sub do. It's merely starting to become the game it should have been when it launched and it still isn't there. For every person that comes back and goes "Hey, this is actually alright now!" there's five people who go, "I'm never trying this again and Microsoft doesn't make good games." Microsoft can't afford to release incomplete games forever.

I actually do agree that Sea of Thieves had a great technical base, but I disagree that Crackdown has that same base. The fact that the game has gone through multiple developers and you can't even play Wrecking Zone with your friends at launch is a bad sign. Also, we knew that Microsoft was planning a ton of post-launch content for Sea of Thieves, but they've made no such promise with Crackdown 3.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Crackdown 2 isn't BC yet. Yes, it's not a great sequel, but I would still like the option to play it.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

BR in halo could be huge, could be awesome but 343 have already said 2-3 times it isn't happening. That doesn't mean that they won't do new ambitious things with infinite. Who knows maybe they make something new that's just as popular.

You said earlier that he's said there's another halo game in the works. That's the first I've heard about it and I can't find where he said that. Do u have the source.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Yeah, you know what else you do with games like that? Lose consumers that won't try your games again. I don't think Sea of Thieves has had this crazy revival, like so many in this sub do. It's merely starting to become the game it should have been when it launched and it still isn't there. For every person that comes back and goes "Hey, this is actually alright now!" there's five people who go, "I'm never trying this again and Microsoft doesn't make good games." Microsoft can't afford to release incomplete games forever.

I actually do agree that Sea of Thieves had a great technical base, but I disagree that Crackdown has that same base. The fact that the game has gone through multiple developers and you can't even play Wrecking Zone with your friends at launch is a bad sign. Also, we knew that Microsoft was planning a ton of post-launch content for Sea of Thieves, but they've made no such promise with Crackdown 3.

I bet before Sea of Thieves came out you would be saying it didn't have a great technical base either for almost the exact same reason of perceived lack of content.

Also, you must have missed the repeated posting of the tweet where they said they will be adding Wrecking Zone with friends and more post game content soon. Sure, they haven't released some kind of official roadmap, but neither did Sea of Thieves before launch and note where they are now.

Finally, you are saying you don't trust the resurgence of Sea of Thieves, when all data seems to point that it is happening. Be careful not to let your expectations cloud reality. Similar it is quite a HUGE stretch to claim that consumers will claim Microsoft doesn't make good games because of games like Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3. On the flip side, I could argue that what gamers will be saying is "Look how MS supports their games long term and keeps releasing new content regardless of how the game was initially received!".

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I realize that there is a lot of negativity surrounding the lack of party support at launch for Crackdown 3 Wrecking Zone multiplayer, but I for one am beyond thrilled just to have them indicate that this will be coming as I was worried that there may be a major technical blocking issue that would keep it from ever coming. Life is too short and stressful as it is to get so negative about every little thing with your video gaming hobby. The Wrecking Zone technical test was amazing fun, and I really think it could be their own version of something special with multiplayer even though I don't expect that it will be Apex Legends multiplatform BR crazy numbers or anything. It will be awesome to play with friends when they add that capability even though I was obsessed enough that I will still be playing at launch too :)

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I bet before Sea of Thieves came out you would be saying it didn't have a great technical base either for almost the exact same reason of perceived lack of content.

Also, you must have missed the repeated posting of the tweet where they said they will be adding Wrecking Zone with friends and more post game content soon. Sure, they haven't released some kind of official roadmap, but neither did Sea of Thieves before launch and note where they are now.

Finally, you are saying you don't trust the resurgence of Sea of Thieves, when all data seems to point that it is happening. Be careful not to let your expectations cloud reality. Similar it is quite a HUGE stretch to claim that consumers will claim Microsoft doesn't make good games because of games like Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3. On the flip side, I could argue that what gamers will be saying is "Look how MS supports their games long term and keeps releasing new content regardless of how the game was initially received!".
I agree that continously supporting your games will help public reception, but I also agree that there are plenty of "One and done" gamers where you have one chance to make a good impression, and if it's lacking, it's slim they won't ever bother coming back.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
M

The thing is, Halo fans won't "Definately play" anything. Way more BR games fail than become phenomena and there's no guaruntee Halo BR would be even decent.

The last time 343 tried shamelessly following trends, they made Halo 4, and its population feel off within a month.

Is there really a market for an exclusive BR game? I don't know, but I wouldn't put my eggs into that basket and risk failing to attract new fans AND displeasing existing fans at the same time.

Why not take that talented studio, resources, server, MP expertise, GaaS narrative and GP content, and deliver sm a Halo that demonstrates the next FPS trends to follow, rather than join the party 3-4 years late.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
You just had Apex Legends, a BR game beome the new sensation of 2019. Fortnite, a BR game beome the sensation of 2018. PUBG, a BR game the sensation of 2017.

See a pattern?

There's money on the table, question is does Xbox want some?
A BR launched in 2019 got 25M players in a week, I think we need to put the "there's too many BRs why would dev X make one" narrative to bed for a while.
Titanfall 1 was all Azure. Titanfall 2 was both Azure and AWS.

Not sure about Apex.
TF2 runs on Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud. I assume Apex is the same.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018

Nothing against the poster who wrote the above^^

But Phil, if you're reading this ^ please dont do it. Please! I beg you! Think of the children!!

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I couldn't care less on any metacritic, twitter shitstorm, forum shitposts because I am sub'ed to Game Pass until 2020. All those games come for low money and I can try them without being disappointed to have payed for them $60.

Very relaxing thing to have ....

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
so yeah, played further into State of Decay 2 today. Yep, its harder lol. a LOT more zombies roaming around nowadays. Seems a little much sometimes. Actually losing survivors while playing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.