• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
If MS retains the rights to The Outer Worlds, that's an automatic new pillar IP.

Speaking of pillars.

I think an open world Pillars of Eternity game could be even better, and Sawyer has talked about how that's something the Eternity team really would love to do.

With TOW and PoE, MS would basically have its first party Fallout and Elder Scrolls equivalents.

I'd love for Obsidian, and maybe InXile alongside them, to rise up and directly compete with Bethesda. And the Pillars world would be really cool to see more fully realized, but I'd also be perfectly fine with an entirely new third world. If also love to see them do something more low fantasy, along the lines of Vampire the Masquerade.

Elder Scrolls and Fallout seem to be getting a little stale lately, potentially good Elder Scrolls Six not withstanding, so I'd love to see someone draw that direct comparison and put a little fire under Bethesdas bum.

I also think it's funny that Outer Worlds is going to predate Starfield, a game which it will almost certainly be compared to in the future by journalists.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I want to see InXile turn Torment into a 3rd person RPG at the same scale of Outer Worlds. Focus on dialogue options over combat and exploration. Would be a cool concept and different than the other RPGs out there.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
outer worlds looks pretty good, but the art style is really off putting IMO. nothing about it looks appealing let alone cohesive. i'm looking forward to the game, but even so i hope they move on to something new afterwards

Aug 23, 2018
Has anyone ordered Crackdown 3 from Best Buy? It says that it's arriving February 18th at my location and not the 15th.

Yes, mine still says I can pick up this Friday. If you want a 14 day trial PM me. And I can send you a pic of the sweet collectors case to tide you over until the 18th!

What events are coming up where MS will be present?

MWC - This month (25 - 28 Feb), looks like HoloLens will be the focus.

GDC - March 18 - 23, Gaming.

BUILD - May 6 - 8

E3 - June, Xbox.

Anything else?

They'll be at Pax East. I've gone the past few years, and they usually bring a decent lineup of unreleased games. Last year they pushed GamePass hard and had SoD2, SoT and PUBG kiosks. And they had Gears 4 in 2016. While no announcements will be made, I wouldn't be surprised if Gears 5 multiplayer and Ori 2 are playable. So at the very least we'll get some New gameplay footage and probably game details

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
tenor.gif
I'm most interested in hearing good things from Crackdown fans. Glad to hear it's at least off to a good start.

Can't wait til Friday. I'm fighting the urge to hook up my 360 and doing a new CD2 run.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I don't really play rainbow six siege but I look at the support it's gotten and it makes me happy for the playerbase. Same for sea of theives.

I hope gears 5 and infinite get this kind of love.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I think MS should allow 2 small teams to try out a Gears and a Halo based BR. Get a beta out fast, F2P and multi platform. Need to have some original ideas in there as well.

Chances of success are low but there is always a chance and the potential rewards are immense.

Oct 27, 2017
I think MS should allow 2 small teams to try out a Gears and a Halo based BR. Get a beta out fast, F2P and multi platform. Need to have some original ideas in there as well.

Chances of success are low but there is always a chance and the potential rewards are immense.

Halo - drop in as an ODST in a pod, you find different levels of armor, with the highest making you a spartan :-p

Drop in as a spartan with no armor, you have to find the different pieces of armor to use abilities. Need leg armor for enhanced movement speed or jump, chest for shield, arms for enhanced strength, helmet for better battlefield awareness.

Though I would prefer a tactical ODST game with a solid story overall. ODST BR can be a part of that though.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MS does not need to be making first party games that are already in ample supply by their third party partners. It's why they should make a Triple A Phantom Dust remake.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
What is this BR talk for Halo and Gears? Phil said they will not chase BR trends and they shouldn't. Let them do their own thing. There is nothing like Gears multiplayer and there is nothing like Halo out there. Focus on that and refine the experience.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
I realize Xbox has all 3 games mentioned above n makes crazy money of them but this whole "I don't want to make a BR game just to make a BR game " is like saying "I don't want to make a new Gears/Halo/Forza game just for the sake of making them" when they do exactly that.

Why not use your most valuable IP and create a decent BR game a lot of Halo fans will definitely play with a talented studio, resources, server, MP expertise, GaaS narrative, GP content ?

Halo fans won't play a BR game. Halo fans are very picky in the MP experience they want. Probably the pickiest of the lot.

To me it makes complete sense, why try to compete with Fortnite/PUBG and now Apex Legends. It seems like Fortnite already makes MS a bunch load of money.

For a successful next-gen MS needs tightly built, focused SP games. One of the things that made me really happy about MS's acquisitions is the studios focus on SP gaming.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I would love to see FH5 include a SP Campaign similar to the Story mode in Madden & FIFA. Here's my thinking:

1. Its easier to relate to Characters than Cars and will generate more emotions.
2. FH4 was a solid upgrade over FH3 but expectations for FH5 will be even higher and a Story Mode will be a nice twist.
3. FH5 will have 3 years of Dev unlike FH4, so it will be a year extra of Dev time which will be perfect for this.

What do you guys think?

I like it so long as it's not some cheesy Fast and the Furious knockoff and offers a lot of diverging choices for replayability as well as future DLC to continue the story along with cars added to the game through the season. I need to get back on FH4 btw. It's been a little minute.

Apr 6, 2018
I always wonder about this. Will Apex fund Titanfall 3, or will it fund more Apex skins/maps/etc? The latter is seemingly the financial bet with both a higher floor and higher ceiling. Along those lines, as a a Nintendo fan I can buy as much Nintendo merch as I want, it's never going to fund a new F-Zero. :P

MS obviously doesn't need help funding anything, so it's always curious to me what their process is to decide to fund games with less sales potential.
Right now maybe titanfall is the spin off of Apex Legends. Those things needs to be f2p and multiplat to work. Plus IDK if those models are healthy for a longtime gaas strategy, overwatch and pubg now a pale image of what they were a few years ago. Even Fortnite won't be king in eternal.
Yeah, you know what else you do with games like that? Lose consumers that won't try your games again. I don't think Sea of Thieves has had this crazy revival, like so many in this sub do. It's merely starting to become the game it should have been when it launched and it still isn't there. For every person that comes back and goes "Hey, this is actually alright now!" there's five people who go, "I'm never trying this again and Microsoft doesn't make good games." Microsoft can't afford to release incomplete games forever.

I actually do agree that Sea of Thieves had a great technical base, but I disagree that Crackdown has that same base. The fact that the game has gone through multiple developers and you can't even play Wrecking Zone with your friends at launch is a bad sign. Also, we knew that Microsoft was planning a ton of post-launch content for Sea of Thieves, but they've made no such promise with Crackdown 3.
I think that SoT formula is not for everyone. It simply works once you learn to enjoys the absence of any imposed structure
We did not know this most.
You can say that your game will be something like Halo without being Halo.
nope but a guy like him proves that the initiative has serious interest in multiplayer
What is this BR talk for Halo and Gears? Phil said they will not chase BR trends and they shouldn't. Let them do their own thing. There is nothing like Gears multiplayer and there is nothing like Halo out there. Focus on that and refine the experience.
Black ops 4 proved that a BR mode in a full price game is doomed. Plus it's an unstable market, basically each year a new br takes in. Pubg was the biggest new IP in gaming history, now it is only a small fraction of what was before fortnite. It should be a br f2p spin off, not a BR mode for infinite to have a chance

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I refuse to accept Boi as a word or slang.

...but maybe that's just because I'm from regions in Atlantic Canada where we all call each other "B'y", and naturally communicate with one another like growling drunk Irish pirates that got lost on a boat ride a few hundred years ago.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Just change it to BOYZ. But not boyze, as that looks like booze, and we at the XGS OT don't promote underage drinking!

Phew, another lawsuit avoided.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I want to see InXile turn Torment into a 3rd person RPG at the same scale of Outer Worlds. Focus on dialogue options over combat and exploration. Would be a cool concept and different than the other RPGs out there.

I really just want to see InXile fix and get their Bard's Tale games out on Xbox.

The Bard's Tale: Remastered and Resnarkled, The Bard's Tale Trilogy, The Bard's Tale IV. We don't even have the OG Xbox version on back compat yet.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Slightly curious about the unknown Ninja Theory and Playground Games projects, but these are probably years away, just as the game made by their new studio. Personally I find this a pretty poor offering not caring about racers and games like Gears and Halo. Seems very likely I will skip Xbox again next gen.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
If MS can get IP like Mass Effect, or Deus Ex in a great deal, hope they acquire it.

They bought Gears from Epic and that's been a great IP for Xbox.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Make it 100 grunts and we have a deal.
Yes. The only acceptable Halo BR is a troll BR with 300 grunts running around, of whom only 100 are player characters. The vast majority would just be running around screaming, never shooting. Players would have the option of doing this as well. The graphics would be trash, the gunplay nearly nonexistent, and you would never see the barest glimpse of a human, augmented or not. I would pay $0 dollars for this, and enjoy it immensely.

Someone else make OT5.

I've had enough of Kairo's mediocrity.
I don't think he was even the one to name it, right?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
EA or Square aren't going to give up those IPs. Like how MS did not want to give up Fable.
Agreed. I also think Microsoft have other and potentially better options here.

Don't get me wrong, they're both really cool IPs. I just think Xbox would be better off pushing Perfect Dark as their Deus Ex game and potentially building a new IP inspired by Mass Effect. I'm aware it's not a space opera IP, but I would suggest to take Shadowrun's gameplay design in this direction if they ever were to make use of that IP. Especially if The Outer Worlds becomes a sustainable series for Xbox. Shadowrun would probably stand out more than another space opera/exploration game.

Gears of War made a lot of sense to acquire since it was a hugely popular IP and Microsoft didn't really own any IP like it. There's also the fact that Epic was supposedly not interested in continuing the series (iirc?).

Mass Effect is (was) popular too, but not on the level of Gears of War. And the Deus Ex reboot series failed to really take off. A reboot of Perfect Dark would probably have roughly the same odds to succeed as a new Deus Ex would at this point.

Edit: Sorry for editing the post so much. I'm pretty sleepy this morning. : /

Last edited:

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
You just had Apex Legends, a BR game beome the new sensation of 2019. Fortnite, a BR game beome the sensation of 2018. PUBG, a BR game the sensation of 2017.

See a pattern?

There's money on the table, question is does Xbox want some?
Considering PUBG was released in Autumn 2017 and Apex Legends in Spring 2019, Microsoft has a big chance of being late to the party if they don't release a Battle Royale game soon. It might even already be too late for Halo, though a Gears Royale still has potential in my opinion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering PUBG was released in December 2017 and Apex Legends in February 2019, Microsoft has a big chance of being late to the party if they don't release a Battle Royale game soon. It might even already be too late for Halo, though a Gears Royale still has potential in my opinion.

A Halo Royale made too much sense. They already had the large scale battles in Halo 5, imagine having an even bigger map, teams of 4 teams à la ODST (maybe with classes to have Reach-like abilities in the mix) traversing the map finding iconic Halo weapons, using the Halo vehicles, the classic items (they are already set for health packs, shields, regens, etc.), with the fine mixture of classic Halo gameplay and modern FPS that Halo 5 nailed so well. And all of this is set on the iconic halo, so the skybox is also a sight to behold. You can have airships dropping in crates or even respawn people like Apex Legends. They could even populate the map with some hostile AI creatures to fight against to get some better loot. It would be almost too easy to make it work.

I know Microsoft said they aren't really looking at the trends in that sense, but given how even Call Of Duty or Titanfall did it, it's ironic how the two big shooter franchises that seemed more fitting for it are either coming in late (Battlefield took a surprising amount of time to get it done) or maybe never at all (Halo).

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Viva Piñata battle royale. Really, why not? chase the nintendo audience instead the actually overcrowded regular battle royale market.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
A Halo Royale made too much sense. They already had the large scale battles in Halo 5, imagine having an even bigger map, teams of 4 teams à la ODST (maybe with classes to have Reach-like abilities in the mix) traversing the map finding iconic Halo weapons, using the Halo vehicles, the classic items (they are already set for health packs, shields, regens, etc.), with the fine mixture of classic Halo gameplay and modern FPS that Halo 5 nailed so well. And all of this is set on the iconic halo, so the skybox is also a sight to behold. You can have airships dropping in crates or even respawn people like Apex Legends. They could even populate the map with some hostile AI creatures to fight against to get some better loot. It would be almost too easy to make it work.

I know Microsoft said they aren't really looking at the trends in that sense, but given how even Call Of Duty or Titanfall did it, it's ironic how the two big shooter franchises that seemed more fitting for it are either coming in late (Battlefield took a surprising amount of time to get it done) or maybe never at all (Halo).
I think that if they release a Halo Battle Royale it will be either too soon (people will stick with Apex Legends as sci-fi BR) or too late (people finally got tired of BR / some new hype arrived). A Battle Royale game can't be just for the fans. You need tens of thousands of players to allow for matchmaking to work properly (balanced matches with low queuing time).

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Fair points, but I think you should try going back to it sometimes. Regular updates fixed a lot of the grievances like survivors being stupid with resource waste. Certain enclaves and survivors, when you unlock their hero abilities allow you access to certain commands on the radio, like health/stanima recovery.
I'll be honest, I had completely lost interest in the game so I didn't even checked what the updates added, but it's nice to hear it might have improved on some things I had trouble with.

I'll give this another shot.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
that has been said about every BR after Fortnite became a huge hit and Apex got 10M players in a couple days...
Well, there is a graveyard of Battle Royale games. The success of Apex Legends shows that there still some room for innovation in gameplay / business model, but at the same time it would be a huge competitor for a Halo entry.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
No one really notice this ?( i wonder what was writen there ) maybe the Name of the project they work on it xD

p_1138hq76a0.jpg

Last edited:

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Playground are so efficient and combined with my theory that they'll be using a modified version of UE 4, I think we see Fable in 2020-2021.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Playground are so efficient and combined with my theory that they'll be using a modified version of UE 4, I think we see Fable in 2020-2021.
I'd be surprised if Fable isn't UE4 tbh. Also I still think Fable could be a launch year title for the new hardware which if it's 2020 then yeah I agree it can release by the end of 2021 tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.