• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2018
Whatever plans MS had of revealing xCloud when it is really ready, staggered launch are out of consideration now. They NEED to reveal xCloud atleast by/during E3 2019 with a "Its out now in Beta & free access for Xbox GP Members kind of announcement".

They got left behind on Cortana, Phones..but won't let Google gain Market share in Gaming at their expense.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I'm not going to pretend to know what Microsoft is looking for in the studios it's acquiring, but I would love to see them take a look at smaller studios who may be interested in moving from the "A" range to a "AA" range. If studios like Arrowhead, Chucklefish, Coffee Stain, Dennaton, Team Meat, Housemarque, Moon (Obviously), Playdead, Studio MDHR, Supergiant, thatgamecompany, and Yacht Club wanted to significantly increase the size and scope of their future projects, they would be a great fit under the XGS banner.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to pretend to know what Microsoft is looking for in the studios it's acquiring, but I would love to see them take a look at smaller studios who may be interested in moving from the "A" range to a "AA" range. If studios like Arrowhead, Chucklefish, Coffee Stain, Dennaton, Team Meat, Housemarque, Moon (Obviously), Playdead, Studio MDHR, Supergiant, thatgamecompany, and Yacht Club wanted to significantly increase the size and scope of their future projects, they would be a great fit under the XGS banner.

Coffe Stain was already bought by THQ Nordic.

Moon is already "AA", their team is quite big and Ori is not really an indie game.

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
Whatever plans MS had of revealing xCloud when it is really ready, staggered launch are out of consideration now. They NEED to reveal xCloud atleast by/during E3 2019 with a "Its out now in Beta & free access for Xbox GP Members kind of announcement".
They'll talk about xCloud at GDC.

https://schedule.gdconf.com/session...ices-and-beyond-presented-by-microsoft/865431

Project xCloud: The Future of Streaming Xbox Games on Mobile Devices and Beyond (Presented by Microsoft)
Gus Apostol (Principal Program Manager, Team Xbox, Microsoft)
Brandon Riffe (Principal Program Manager Lead, Team Xbox, Microsoft)
Shawn Farkas (Principal Software Engineer, Microsoft)
Pass Type: All Access, GDC Conference + Summits, GDC Conference, GDC Summits, Expo Plus, Audio Conference + Tutorial, Indie Games Summit - Get your pass now!
Topic: Programming
Format: Sponsored Session

Project xCloud is enabling Console Native games to stream through our Azure-hosted game servers and streaming clients. Any Console Native game currently shipping in the Microsoft Store on Xbox will be capable of streaming to a mobile device. Project xCloud is an open platform with a customizable Client UX where streaming starts with Xbox game developers not having to modify a single line of existing game code.

This talk will go deeper on how developers can get their console games to adapt to a mobile world

Takeaway
Come to hear about the future of streaming games on mobile devices, leave understanding the opportunity every game developer will have to take advantage of Microsoft's latest gaming cloud service.

Intended Audience
Developers already building games for Xbox will learn how Project xCloud will make it easy to get that entire catalog running on mobile.

And Microsoft is targeting a public beta phase this year.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Trolling
Which turned out exactly how fans wanted it to..

And sales tell others hated it. As do reviews

Imagine a reality were they canned CD3, and scalebound was released and scored badly. Do you prefer that?

As low as Crackdown 3? Not possible

So because MS persisted with Crackdown 3 they should fund EVERY project regardless of time and cost?

No. But funding Crackdown 3 for 5-6 years and getting results like that is is even worse

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

No. But funding Crackdown 3 for 5-6 years and getting results like that is is even worse
Sales tell us that huh? interesting that people who haven't played the game hate it. Seems to me that's the majority of people hating on the game on ERA haven't played it and clearly have other motives. But when you go into the OT of people who have actually played the game it's overwhelmingly positive. Many people are enjoying their time with the game. Continue on console warring though.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

A platinum game in the 60s and below?

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mutants-in-manhattan

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-legend-of-korra

Already happened.

An Xbox One Exclusive in the 60s?

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/ryse-son-of-rome

Already happened.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Scalebound wasn't going to release on time, wasn't going to review well, and if Crackdown 3 would have been the canned game people will be bitching about it.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Scalebound wasn't going to release on time, wasn't going to review well, and if Crackdown 3 would have been the canned game people will be bitching about it.

I absolutely love Crackdown 3 and am really glad that they stuck with releasing it for Xbox fans like me (a new Crackdown fan as this was my first game in the series).I will just let the almost trillion dollar Microsoft corporation sort out any of the business junk, and I don't need affirmation from online reviewers or social media as to what I should or should not like to play.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Sales tell us that huh? interesting that people who haven't played the game hate it. Seems to me that's the majority of people hating on the game on ERA haven't played it and clearly have other motives. But when you go into the OT of people who have actually played the game it's overwhelmingly positive. Many people are enjoying their time with the game. Continue on console warring though.

There are numerous people in era also telling the game sucks just as many reviews tell same thing.

This is isn't console warring. Every criticism against Microsoft isn't console warring

Apr 6, 2018
No. Let it die please.
So is fake?
One thing I though would've made CD3 better was if it had SO's mobility options (rebounds, grinding, wall-running)
That would've made the city feel more interactive. As it is I can't help but being a little disappointed every time I'm walking/running or missing a ledge by a few centimeters hahaha
IDK, maybe it would have turned the plattforming too easy like spiderman or sunset overdireve
I found combat in these games to be very clunky and frustrating, rarely it was 'fun'. Stealth parts were the best.
IDK if it's fixed in the ps4 remastered, but on ps3 I broke the design of one of the most important fights, IIRC right before meeting Joel's brother
Exactly?

You don't know how much money MS had poured into the game to the point it was cancelled. PG had already been working on it for 3-4 years. You can't keep pouring money into a project with no end in sight. PG missed deadlines and the game looked rough every time it was shown.

MS get's all the blame and bad press when it comes to Scalebound whilst PG get a free pass
We had no trusted source on the closure so guess it was a really big fucking mess
No worries Anthem quickly replaced Crackdown 3's spot due to early reviews.
Dude I'm so scared for anthem, movement and shooting is so good, the map too, but the rest looks anonymus at best. I want it to turn out to be good.
Plus EA could do something terrible to bioware if it doesn't is enough succesful.
It'll be interesting to see where Crackdown 3s campaign falls in terms of player population in a week, this first week could easily be attributed to "I can't believe it's that bad, I gotta check this out". If people are still munching on that game in a week, I think Gamepass will have proven its point.

Also, even though Scalebound exclusive to the Switch is definitely not happening, I wanna make this joke before anyone else gets a chance to.

Scalebound, more like Scaled-down, am I right?
It will be interesting, I hope tha msft capitalize on the success of the game and support it on the long time, I'd love a crazy mode for the campaign with coop and ng+
There's been quite a bit over Crackdown over the last week. I wonder when we'll hear from MS in terms of the actual engagement within the game. Something tells me its been anything but a failure for player engagement, despite the (usual) narrative.
I've yet to see someone saying is a bad game, mediocre maybe, but no one who tried said it's as bad as the reviews described it.
I noticed in this article "Of course, Metro and Far Cry both fared better on other platforms. In the UK, for example, PlayStation 4 accounted for 57% of Metro Exodus' launch sales, and 60% of Far Cry: New Dawn's."

Given PS4 has more than a 3:2 install base advantage over the XBO in the UK, what were they expecting? Actually the games fared better on XBO when taking install base in to account.
The narrative should be protected in some way no?
Good deal. I played all weekend to beat it to the point i'm finished with. glad to see a good amount of folks playing
Yes, so refreshing, I enjoyed it way more than I expected.
This game is destined to be a cult classic.
And basically now ryse has a cult following who hope for a sequel each e3

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I absolutely love Crackdown 3 and am really glad that they stuck with releasing it for Xbox fans like me (a new Crackdown fan as this was my first game in the series).I will just let the almost trillion dollar Microsoft corporation sort out any of the business junk, and I don't need affirmation from online reviewers or social media as to what I should or should not like to play.
We don't have any prove that there is a correlation between the cancellation of one and the other game surviving anyway.I'm super glad Crackown 3 wasn't cancelled, and I like it a lot.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
There are numerous people in era also telling the game sucks just as many reviews tell same thing.

This is isn't console warring. Every criticism against Microsoft isn't console warring
And? There are many people who hate critically acclaimed games like RDR2... So what?

Your post history speaks for itself.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
So is fake?

IDK, maybe it would have turned the plattforming too easy like spiderman or sunset overdireve

IDK if it's fixed in the ps4 remastered, but on ps3 I broke the design of one of the most important fights, IIRC right before meeting Joel's brother

We had no trusted source on the closure so guess it was a really big fucking mess

Dude I'm so scared for anthem, movement and shooting is so good, the map too, but the rest looks anonymus at best. I want it to turn out to be good.
Plus EA could do something terrible to bioware if it doesn't is enough succesful.

It will be interesting, I hope tha msft capitalize on the success of the game and support it on the long time, I'd love a crazy mode for the campaign with coop and ng+

I've yet to see someone saying is a bad game, mediocre maybe, but no one who tried said it's as bad as the reviews described it.

I think Ryse is more like a trauma game than a cult classic, but it's true that is well loved by a lot of fans.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm just so excited about MS 2019 E3 conference. could be their best ever.
And 2020 can be the best ever too, hopefully 2021 too...
With their renewed interest if financials are there each year has the potebtial to top the precedent
At some point you have to say, enough is enough

Also, PG were tied to too many projects at the time and ultimately Scalebound suffered
Idk how much truth was to it but at the time I remember hearing that PG... "redirected" MS's money from Scalebound to fund and publish Nier
I noticed in this article "Of course, Metro and Far Cry both fared better on other platforms. In the UK, for example, PlayStation 4 accounted for 57% of Metro Exodus' launch sales, and 60% of Far Cry: New Dawn's."

Given PS4 has more than a 3:2 install base advantage over the XBO in the UK, what were they expecting? Actually the games fared better on XBO when taking install base in to account.
Also, on Xbox unless it's a game you "need" to play at launch it's better to wait for a sale or for it to come to GP :p

You started pretty well, but with each passing message it seems you're getting more and more frustrated about people not wanting to set MS on fire because they are enjoying the game

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Speaking as someone who was really looking forward to Scalebound before it was canceled, Scalebound could have certainly scored lower than a 60, and probably would have. Everything they'd shown and everything people behind closed doors saw indicated a game that barely performed and when it did it was confusing and difficult to play. Stack on that the same delays Crackdown got and I'm pretty sure Scalebound would have been eviscerated, even worse than Crackdown, unless Platinum really managed to pull a rabbit out of their ass.

Crackdown might not be selling well, might not be reviewing well with critics , but it's the 3rd most played game on Xbox this week, and it's user reviews on Xbox are mostly 4 to 5 stars.

Aug 26, 2018
They'll talk about xCloud at GDC.

https://schedule.gdconf.com/session...ices-and-beyond-presented-by-microsoft/865431

Project xCloud: The Future of Streaming Xbox Games on Mobile Devices and Beyond (Presented by Microsoft)
Gus Apostol (Principal Program Manager, Team Xbox, Microsoft)
Brandon Riffe (Principal Program Manager Lead, Team Xbox, Microsoft)
Shawn Farkas (Principal Software Engineer, Microsoft)
Pass Type: All Access, GDC Conference + Summits, GDC Conference, GDC Summits, Expo Plus, Audio Conference + Tutorial, Indie Games Summit - Get your pass now!
Topic: Programming
Format: Sponsored Session

Project xCloud is enabling Console Native games to stream through our Azure-hosted game servers and streaming clients. Any Console Native game currently shipping in the Microsoft Store on Xbox will be capable of streaming to a mobile device. Project xCloud is an open platform with a customizable Client UX where streaming starts with Xbox game developers not having to modify a single line of existing game code.

This talk will go deeper on how developers can get their console games to adapt to a mobile world

Takeaway
Come to hear about the future of streaming games on mobile devices, leave understanding the opportunity every game developer will have to take advantage of Microsoft's latest gaming cloud service.

Intended Audience
Developers already building games for Xbox will learn how Project xCloud will make it easy to get that entire catalog running on mobile.

And Microsoft is targeting a public beta phase this year.

I think with Google's official entry, xCloud will/should also go in Public Beta very soon, don't think they can wait till fall and wait for Google to show their hand and gain mindshare.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I think with Google's official entry, xCloud will/should also go in Public Beta very soon, don't think they can wait till fall and wait for Google to show their hand and gain mindshare.
To be honest, I don't think the streaming will get the real mindshare. At least not at first. I fully expect their studio acquisitions and partnerships to take prime spotlight. THAT will shake up the industry, and we'll have to see how Microsoft responds.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

It'll be interesting to see how Google handles the library for project stream. Xbox already has a store and a subscription they can source games from, but Google doesn't have anything like that yet. Maybe they'll partner with Steam or Epic or something, or maybe they'll grab individual deals with publishers. I'm also still curious what the X-Cloud library will look like and if I'll have to buy games again to stream them, or only be able to stream gamepass games or what. I hope we get some clarity at or before GDC

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So is fake?

???

I got asked if I know anything about the Scalebound situation and I answered "No".

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
One day soon you jump onboard, you know in your heart it to be true (and its 8 studios)
Went with the official number:
Our 13 game development studios focus on delivering great games for everyone, wherever they play—on console, PC, or mobile devices. We're responsible for developing and publishing some of the biggest game franchises in history: Age of Empires, Forza, Gears of War, Halo, Minecraft, Microsoft Solitaire, Microsoft Flight Simulator, State of Decay, and many more. We believe that play is the thing that unites everyone, because when everyone plays, we all win.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-studios

Sorry Steve, I'm an optimist, but I stay in team #16by2020.

mikefizzled

Jan 8, 2018
I never was on-board for team 20by20, sorry. Imho that is way too ambitious. We know they are looking for more, but I don't think they will add another 7 studios.

I'm not either. Honestly I can see Booty and co giving it another 6 months to iron out any growing pains like Playground, Undead and Initiative. Also give them time to work out Obsidian's future.

Unless another Ninja Theory opportunity arises where the studio is 'worth' Xbox stepping in and saving.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I've said it a few times, but I think we'll see acquisitions slow down a bit. There may be a few more this year, but I think there are some studios that might be open to an acquisition because of the financial and creative freedom but are, justifiably, suspicious of whether Microsoft will really give it to them. A few people may want to wait to see if studios like Obsidian and Ninja Theory can really stay Obsidian and Ninja Theory under Microsoft before they'd consider joining.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

conar-cross-establishingshot-v2.jpg

conar-cross-establishingshot-v1.jpg

conar-cross-ecotype-swamp-v1a-spire.jpg

michael-richards-fh4-moorssummer.jpg

michael-richards-fh4-wetlands-summer.jpg

nick-elliott-06-in-game-festival-overview-night.jpg

covaci-ionut-ovidiu-fh4-13.jpg

covaci-ionut-ovidiu-fh4-09.jpg

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
They're counting playground as 2

I'd count it at 13 personally but I guess it depends how you view pg

Theyre counting Xbox Game Publishing.

1. 343i
2. Coalition
3. Rare ltd (2 teams)
4. Ninja Theory (2 teams)
5. Playground Games (2 Teams)
6. Obsidian (2 Teams)
7. InXile (2 Teams)
8. Undead Labs
9. The Initiative
10. Compulsion
11. Mojang
12. Turn 10
13. Xbox Game Publishing

343i, Coalition, and Rare also help other studios with games too (Gears Tactics, Battletoads, etc)

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Theyre counting Xbox Game Publishing.

1. 343i
2. Coalition
3. Rare ltd (2 teams)
4. Ninja Theory (2 teams)
5. Playground Games (2 Teams)
6. Obsidian (2 Teams)
7. InXile (2 Teams)
8. Undead Labs
9. The Initiative
10. Compulsion
11. Mojang
12. Turn 10
13. Xbox Game Publishing

343i, Coalition, and Rare also help other studios with games too (Gears Tactics, Battletoads, etc)

Let's hit 20 in 2-3 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.