• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
200 is reasonable. It is a question, though, of what MS is trying to do with this console. We really have next to no idea. Given how little they're advertising this, even though it's clearly been ready to talk about generally for a while, they don't necessarily want this to grab all of the attention and turn the industry over. I assume. But I don't know, I guess.

It's likely just a new SKU, to see if the market is ready for a disc-less SKU, but likely XB1 (OG, S, SADE) Consoles will be streaming devices for XCloud, so we will likely see Xbox One S consoles be on sale for a long time.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It's likely just a new SKU, to see if the market is ready for a disc-less SKU, but likely XB1 (OG, S, SADE) Consoles will be streaming devices for XCloud, so we will likely see Xbox One S consoles be on sale for a long time.
Regarding streaming, that is a good question. I remember the first Scarlett rumors being that MS had a streaming console on the way that would use hardware to mitigate the effects of input lag and the such, perhaps creating the world itself on hardware, but streaming in the graphics and such on top of that. I don't know if that means they could use a cheaper console or a more CPU heavy one or if they can just use whatever hardware is in the One S/X or whatever. Who knows.

But if these consoles are just going to be dumb terminals for straight up streaming, I don't see why they would push SADE instead of an Xbox gaming stick.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding streaming, that is a good question. I remember the first Scarlett rumors being that MS had a streaming console on the way that would use hardware to mitigate the effects of input lag and the such, perhaps creating the world itself on hardware, but streaming in the graphics and such on top of that. I don't know if that means they could use a cheaper console or a more CPU heavy one or if they can just use whatever hardware is in the One S/X or whatever. Who knows.

But if these consoles are just going to be dumb terminals for straight up streaming, I don't see why they would push SADE instead of an Xbox gaming stick.

They're initially targeting Android phones for xCloud, so I think specific hardware to mitigate lag is off the table.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Could one of you summarise what it says? My internet provider blocks 4chan so I can't read it.
New report says Microsoft is apparently trying to finalize deals with 3 Studios before E3.
The Studios are Asobo, Relic and IO Interactive.
A letter of intent has already been sent to MS by IOI.
Talks about report fails to link report lol. also these studios have been mentioned on this thread and xbox circles for a while, probably knows nothing.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I just did a review of Operencia: The Stolen Sun, but I wanted to really encourage you all to play it, especially if you have Game Pass. Its a really good game, and I think its going to be one of the great hidden gems this year. If you like turn based RPG games, or games with clever puzzles its something to check out.

Taylo207 It says that Microsoft is trying to finalize an acquisition with Relic, IO, and Asobo before E3. I dont know if it is reputable though.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I really wouldn't believe too much out of a 4chan rumor, especially regarding acquisitions. Most of the stuff thrown on that site regarding "rumors" are just pure guesses.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018

Likely because Xbox One S can run old Xbox games. I can see Microsoft try to make the console smaller and smaller as time goes.

But also because Xbox One Consoles are already in the hands of consumers, so converting them into Streaming devices would give Microsoft a 40-50 Million user base for XCloud.

Last edited:

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
Asobo and IOI would make me "content" with studio acquisitions for now but I can't help but feel there would be an emptiness if they don't acquire teams to do PD, ReCore and KI.

I know this could change going forward but I also feel they're lacking studios that make iconic characters that become mainstays. Master Chief and the Gears cast but that's about it. Hopefully Joanna and Joule take those next steps but am I missing some? Is Jago iconic?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
They're initially targeting Android phones for xCloud, so I think specific hardware to mitigate lag is off the table.
Not off the table. You can have multiple systems that do different things but are branded the same way. Good example from Microsoft is something like Skype and Skype for Business. These are really two different products running on two different platforms, but they're branded the same and use the same design UI.

Better example is the Hyperlapse app that nobody ever used on mobile vs on PC. On mobile, it was doing a quick approximation on the phone and running stuff from the cloud, but on PC, the app would use your machine's hardware to accelerate the processing. You'd get a better experience on PC, but this wasn't advertised within the app itself. xCloud mobile and xCloud console could theoretically be different, but branded and designed similarly. Whether or not all of that is worth doing is a different question.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Does anyone know why my One X's OS is sooooo unresponsive. Constantly freezing and so delayed. It's extremely irritating.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorite parts of E3 is Phil's sit down with Giant Bomb. It's probably the most down to earth and real interview we get with Phil. It also gives us insight into Xbox that we would not get otherwise.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here's a question for this forum. On the chance that Microsoft does not announce any new acquisitions but just showed off new games from their current studios, how would you feel?

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Asobo won't happen but I think Relic and IOI do.

Relic will be announced later in the year though due to how complicated it is.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Here's a question for this forum. On the chance that Microsoft does not announce any new acquisitions but just showed off new games from their current studios, how would you feel?
I'd be absolutely surprised, but not disappointed.

They've expanded Xbox Game Studios by 7 over the past year or so, and that's more than double of what they had before (even if we including Global Publishing). If we included Casual Games (which isn't a studio supposedly anymore) they'd be actually double.

I bet we'll see some acquisitions, but they've been doing a lot as it is.

ImGumbyDammit

Banned
Nov 25, 2018

Well an Android/iPhone or tablet made in the last few years would have enough computational power on their own for XCloud to do what that specific hardware dongle would provide. The purpose of the MS dedicated device would be to add access to dumb (or many semi-dumb devices like smart-TVs) that have fairly weak compute capability outside of just the video related functions. There are millions upon millions of TVs that would need such a device if users just wanted to game stream to them. Such a dongle would be a portable connector. In other words, you just aren't going to be able to launch an app from current Roku or Chromecast or AndroidTVs or a lot of smart TVs in general to run XCloud or Stadia. Maybe TVs will have more tech built-in the future but there is a heck of a lot of TVs now 1080p and 4k that were not designed for anything beyond even just basic computing needs outside of certain functions that most TVS have special chips to do such work. And these TVs would definitely not be able to game stream effectively without such an MS like device (or without a more powerful dedicated PC/console using the app/browser).

It takes a little more than just a browser on a device (even though Google pretends it doesn't with Stadia). Stadia (when I beta tested Project Stream) required a relatively recent device. It didn't take a powerful desktop that is for sure but you definitely had issues with some even recently made Chromebooks that had fairly weak CPU's and storage capability (there still is a lot of local processing going on with this game streaming). MS would just sell such a device that would really be like Roku on game streaming steroids for people wanted to stream but had a TV or limited computing device. The devices special capability allows for it to have a rather weak CPU but passes all that game streaming needs off to special chips that can handle the streaming more efficiently. It uses special chips all to keep cost down on the device (this is at least what I have heard and read about its purpose)

Last edited:

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how many times I tried State of Decay 2 on Xbox One X, and it was so clunky and the performance was jittery, but I thought what the hell I have Game Pass, I should give it a try on PC.
I was shocked how nice this game plays 60+ fps on G-Sync, and it looks so pretty maxed out. It's actually fun to play now, and being able to get to the core of the gameplay and see the good game hiding underneath, it makes sense Xbox acquiring Undead Labs, they're pretty good.
They should've just prioritized differently on console, the game plays like utter shit there.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be absolutely surprised, but not disappointed.

They've expanded Xbox Game Studios by 7 over the past year or so, and that's more than double of what they had before (even if we including Global Publishing). If we included Casual Games (which isn't a studio supposedly anymore) they'd be actually double.

I bet we'll see some acquisitions, but they've been doing a lot as it is.
Casual Games is around...they just aren't a "studio". They are more like an internal dev team (think like the Back Compat team or ID@Xbox)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well an Android/iPhone or tablet made in the last few years would have enough computational power on their own for XCloud to do what that specific hardware dongle would provide. The purpose of the MS dedicated device would be to add access to dumb (or many semi-dumb devices like smart-TVs) that have fairly weak compute capability outside of just the video related functions. There are millions upon millions of TVs that would need such a device if users just wanted to game stream to them. Such a dongle would be a portable connector. In other words, you just aren't going to be able to launch an app from current Roku or Chromecast or AndroidTVs or a lot of smart TVs in general to run XCloud or Stadia. Maybe TVs will have more tech built-in the future but there is a heck of a lot of TVs now 1080p and 4k that were not designed for anything beyond even just basic computing needs outside of certain functions that most TVS have special chips to do such work. And these TVs would definitely not be able to game stream effectively without such an MS like device (or without a more powerful dedicated PC/console using the app/browser).

It takes a little more than just a browser on a device (even though Google pretends it doesn't with Stadia). Stadia (when I beta tested Project Stream) required a relatively recent device. It didn't take a powerful desktop that is for sure but you definitely had issues with some even recently made Chromebooks that had fairly weak CPU's and storage capability (there still is a lot of local processing going on with this game streaming). MS would just sell such a device that would really be like Roku on game streaming steroids for people wanted to stream but had a TV or limited computing device. The devices special capability allows for it to have a rather weak CPU but passes all that game streaming needs off to special chips that can handle the streaming more efficiently. It uses special chips all to keep cost down on the device (this is at least what I have heard and read about its purpose)

The point of this conversation was that it was believed (around the reveal) Scarlett streaming boxes would have unique hardware that mitigated latency, and that an XB1 wouldn't work as an xCloud streaming device.

So I find it difficult to believe that an Android phone has this capability but an XB1 does not.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how many times I tried State of Decay 2 on Xbox One X, and it was so clunky and the performance was jittery, but I thought what the hell I have Game Pass, I should give it a try on PC.
I was shocked how nice this game plays 60+ fps on G-Sync, and it looks so pretty maxed out. It's actually fun to play now, and being able to get to the core of the gameplay and see the good game hiding underneath, it makes sense Xbox acquiring Undead Labs, they're pretty good.
They should've just prioritized differently on console, the game plays like utter shit there.
Jaguar CPU is the bottleneck, game devs can't change that.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I agree with the general consensus that the leak is just educated guesses. Here's one more educated guess for you, Panache Digital Games.

Patrice did an interview this weekend that his team is moving on to Amsterdam 1666 after Ancestors ships. He didn't mention how it was being funded or a publisher. That would be an excellent game for Microsoft's first-party catalog. They also may be able to get a two-for-one deal with the Private Division to get them to forfeit their right of first refusal on Outer World's and Ancestors.

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
Asobo literally said being independent is a model suited for them. But that could change. They were just a like vague answering that question.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
I've tried to collect all the clues (by interview and deleted videos) about next AOE4, especially on what the setting could be and other interesting info.
I hope you like it
  • Aoe4 announcement: August 21 2017, Cologne (Germany):
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYwZ6GZXWhA&t=22s
  • Q&A session from Cologne with ZeroEmpires (famous youtuber and Aoe2's player). He said about setting (minute 3.10 ) "i don't believe it's gonna be future related the story too much in that and i think they know as well they know that Aoe2 is the most popular right..they know that periodi s the most interesting and i believe and and i've a kind of had some hints that it's probably gonna be around that time period maybe covering a bigger time period but we're probably gonna be back in time not forward.
  • Here's the full video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxOcRybNgQg&
  • You also should consider that Zeroempire has involved in some way on the development and he knew about the title since 6 months before the official announcement. "Meetings & Networking- We met with many of the Microsoft staff and even a couple of guys from Relic. I was very skeptical about these new announcements at first, especially given the track record with AoEHD, but coming away from Cologne I feel very confident. Not only did the Relic guys have a huge passion for gaming, but the things that they were saying showed that they had a good understanding of what Age of Empires means to so many people. They acknowledged that community feedback is going to be important throughout development (and that's going to start as early as next month). They also spoke a lot about how they want to create a game that feels like Age, but that also has fresh and exciting gameplay as well. I can't talk about details (Much like I haven't been able to talk about aoe4 for the last 6 months), but I feel positive. I expect Age4 to be at least 2 years away; but I also expect to be intimately involved with the project so it is very exciting. I hope that I and the others involved can help to steer the project in a good direction".
    As for AoE2 Definitive edition I think we should be confident about this too. Let me tell you why.
    If Microsoft screw this up then they also really hurt their reputation when it comes to Age4 as well. Something they can't afford to do. They have set a huge pressure on themselves to reach expectations. 2. Speaking to people about this project shows that they recognise what needs to be done to make DE great. Hearing this from the mouths of Microsoft people without having to tell them: hey you need to improve x, y and z gives me huge confidence. As for what DE may include, well, that's the exciting part. But one that you will all have to wait and see!
    Link to discussion: (https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/6wk4oe/a_summary_of_gamescom_reflection_thanks/
  • Leaked info from a video reel "Sega/Relic 2017 (removed by Relic). This topic was originally posted on agecommunity.com and some people as me have seen that video. However this is the main clue around Aoe4 setting. These are some of comments at video "So, we see them motion-capturing a horse, a guy in medieval armour, and them visiting medieval ruins. Well, that strongly hints toward the middle ages….Most of the video recapped Relic's history and their previous games. The part that probably showed stuff related to AoE IV was just a small part at the end. So, there was a horse and rider leaping over a hurdle with motion capture marks all over their bodies, then a man sitting on a horse, wearing late-medieval armour, and then the Relic team visiting the ruins of a medieval chapel, I'd say. And there was some text saying that they travelled. Maybe that hints toward them using photogrammetry. o you mean the untextured, rather basic model of a horse with rider on the screen while motion-capturing or the man after that? As far as I remember, the man was an actual man and not a 3D model. xD.. Maybe someone made a screenshot? Could you tell if the 3D model was realistic or cartoony? Realistic with realistic movements but in early stage of development…"https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe4/comments/7ucq5n/leaked_motion_captures/
  • essence engine will probably move the next aoe (interview to technical lead, feb 17 2018) https://www.relic.com/article/8379
  • Q. I hear you're involved in a big Essence Engine upgrade right now, can you explain it to a luddite like me?
    A.
    "Basically, we're rebuilding a lot of the system, but the broad goal is to make our games perform better. Whether that means more units, the same number of units with better behaviors, or better stability, we want our games to perform better for a wider audience".
  • Interesting interview to Shannon Loftis on Pcgame.de
    • PC Games: How did you decide to hand over the development of Age of Empires 4 to Relic Entertainment?
    • Shannon Loftis:Relic was our first choice. We looked at developers who are currently engaged in real-time strategy games. There are not that many companies that are completely committed to the genre right now. Relic has a great track record with the Dawn of War series and actually everything they've ever done. It helps immensely that they are not far away. So we can work very closely with them on Age of Empires 4. When we met the team and Justin [Dowdeswell, Relic chief, noun], they told us that they were heavily influenced by Age of Empires at an early age. They have always kept their experiences with Age in mind and so it has been a fantastic partnership so far.
    • PC Games: Many readers are worried, because Relic is better known for fast real-time strategy games with little or no base construction. In Age of Empires, however, it was always very much about the construction of their own base and the rather slow style of play. What can you tell us to counter these concerns?
    • Shannon Loftis: We are very aware of what makes Age of Empires great. Every time we have an event like in Germany recently at Gamescom a few weeks ago, we're seeing more and more people growing up with Age. They tell us that they studied history because of Age, that they became city planners because of Age. It is absolutely the case that building a base and discovering the historical background is a big part of what makes Age to Age. We intend to remain absolutely true to these cornerstones.
    • PC Games: Another big question around Age of Empires 4 is the time frame in which it will play. Many fans would wish for a return to the Middle Ages. There is a widespread belief that firearms do not really fit the age feeling anymore. What can you tell us about the historical background of the new game?
      Shannon Loftis: We're not talking about the era and back story yet. The beauty of history is that it is an almost infinite source of stories and civilizations that we can explore. I think that's all I can say.
    • http://www.gamezone.de/Age-of-Empir...oft-General-Manager-Shannon-Loftis-1239770/2/
  • Some early info and clues from an AOE4's alpha version (around september, 2017)
    • Although I feel like such design will result in losing support from the veterans, this might actually be a line of thought. The micro-management of traditional RTS games is much more demanding than that of the MOBA genre, hence giving a very difficult time to new players to learn the basics. It might be essential to lower the need for micro-management.
      The replies as follows:
      A: Alright. Just another few hours and I could play the closed alpha/beta of Age of Empires 4, and I am looking forward to seeing how it looks like.
      B: Replying to A: AOE4? Shouldn't it be Age of Empires 1 Definitive Edition instead?
      C : Replying to A: Shouldn't Age of Empires 4 still be in pre-alpha planning? What you are playing now might be Age of Empires 1 Definitive Edition.
      A: Replying to B: Yes, it is Age of Empires 4. Haven't played much Age of Empires 1…
      A: Replying to C : I don't know since I don't play much Age of Empires 1
      C : Replying to A: Has Age of Empires 4 reached the stage of closed alpha/beta already? How could it be so soon?
      A: (random emote)
      A: Replying to C : But it might take another while before it is released.
      C : Replying to A: I understand now. Thanks man (literally 'boss'). Would you mind (or be able to) telling us which era would the game be in?
      A: Replying to C : Almost all people made the wrong guess. (many people think Aoe4 will be set in ww1 and ww2).

• Another post made by someone on the same day at 11.25pm GMT:
      Some of those ('decisions on features/mechanics', I guess) are largely based on the balance between realism and playability.
      The replies as follows:
      D: Nice to meet you. I watched the trailer of (Age of Empires 1) Definitive Edition, and there was a scene where the camera zoomed out from up close to far away (as shown in the screenshot by the first comment), showing that the screen could fit in more units in HD graphics! Extremely spectacular! I hope the fourth generation (Age of Empires 4) is going to have a larger scale for camera zoom, not only will it give people a grander experience, it will also allow the ratios of ranges of different types of unit to be overall closer to real-world values. The first and second generation (Age of Empires 1 and 2) did not have to take such thing into consideration as the era of cold weapons was dominated by close combat.
      A: Reply: After trying out the alpha/beta version of Age of Empires 4 today, a few of us, including E and F, would like to point out that the game features which many of you have been worrying about are not going to happen (be in the game). Everyone was very satisfied with (today's) experience. Then we went to a bar/pub and have been drinking until now, which is already after midnight.
    • https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?t=12310

That's all.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
If MS pick up a smaller dev, I think it's the Bearded Ladies who get acquired.

Mutant Year Zero was a huge success and has huge potential.

Makes sense they'd be acquired along with IOI.

Status
Not open for further replies.