• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2018
Hope we get an update on the Spirit of Fire crew/Banished situation at some point, if not in Infinite then at least in tie-in media if Halo Wars 3 isnt happening.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
So once again...is it time to eliminate Asobo?

Absolutely not, Obsidian had a deal with Private Division when they were acquired.

We talk about the studios creating these games you talk about here every day.

Xbox Game Studios is in a great position today. The games will come. That is like the most obvious observation you could make.

1500x500

Man that banner is epic, so clean and bright. And to think this will be even more densely packed with studio names after E3.

I don't think it's really sunk in yet that Ninja Theory, inXile, and Obsidian are part of Xbox Game Studios/MS. Mostly because they are making multiplats. But I actually sat and thought...damn, these studios are 1st party and it's finally feeling like an immense improvement to where they were a couple years ago

When their games have the XGS logo there I think that's when people will realise it.
Its like the difference between knowing a spoiler is coming, and actually witnessing it yourself. Totally different feeling.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Absolutely not, Obsidian had a deal with Private Division when they were acquired.
I don't know. There's a big difference between being in the final stages of working on a project that launches within 12 months and announcing projects that are likely 2-3 years away. If they had been contact by Microsoft around the time that the other studios started negotiations, or even after E3 2018, it doesn't seem likely that they would be announcing a deal with another publisher.

I personally don't think Asobo was ever realistically considered. There's not much development at the studio level to be done there, in my opinion. They're been around almost twenty years and already have 150 employees. I also don't think they have a particularly impressive body of work. Yes, Microsoft has worked with them in the past, but it was almost always as a support studio. Sure, A Plague Tale: Innocence looks great and I will probably be checking it out at launch, but unless it's a massive step in the right direction, I don't see them adding much value to Game Pass or the XGS catalog.

It's not that I think they're a bad studio. They are fine as an independent developer and support studio for third-party publishers. I just think there are more interesting chances Microsoft could take.

Aug 23, 2018
Asobo would be a nice get, but if they've already partnered with another publisher for their soon-to-be-released game AND an "unannounced project", I'd rather MS spend money else where. Why invest in them now? An exclusive project from them would be 4-7 years away potentionally.

I do hope that whoever MS does acquire this year (seems more of a question of who rather than if with so many insiders basically confirming acquisition announcements at E3) will not need to finish up preexisting contracts with other publishers. More of a Ninja Theory self publishing situation than an Obsidian. Where their next project is 1-2 years away and can immediately slide in as a first party-day 1 GamePass title.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I really thought that we wouldn't see a Forza game at E3 this year, but it looks like we will. With no word about Forza Horizon 4's second expansion yet, part of me thinks we're getting a shadow drop at E3. I hope it's something really awesome. My money is still on some kind of street racing expansion set in London.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I really thought that we wouldn't see a Forza game at E3 this year, but it looks like we will. With no word about Forza Horizon 4's second expansion yet, part of me thinks we're getting a shadow drop at E3. I hope it's something really awesome. My money is still on some kind of street racing expansion set in London.

Ooooohhh don't tease. (yes pleeeeeaaaseee)

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
Asobo would be a nice get, but if they've already partnered with another publisher for their soon-to-be-released game AND an "unannounced project", I'd rather MS spend money else where. Why invest in them now? An exclusive project from them would be 4-7 years away potentionally.

I do hope that whoever MS does acquire this year (seems more of a question of who rather than if with so many insiders basically confirming acquisition announcements at E3) will not need to finish up preexisting contracts with other publishers. More of a Ninja Theory self publishing situation than an Obsidian. Where their next project is 1-2 years away and can immediately slide in as a first party-day 1 GamePass title.
I agree in regard to the Focus publishing deal prolonging the wait until this studio could bring value to Xbox if acquired. Microsoft can do better than Asobo, too. Just because a studio exists doesn't mean that they should be acquired. Let's see how A Plague Tale turns out and what direction they move in afterwards. I'm not hot on the idea of picking up a support studio working on their first large project.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

Asobo is firmly out now. While Obsidian had ~1 year's worth of work on The Outer Worlds when they were acquired, they're already working on multiple exclusive projects. InXile was at least at the pre-production stage of that unannounced game when they were acquired. Same obviously goes for all of Ninja Theory's projects.

Compulsion is probably the furthest away from starting work on an exclusive game for MS. I think they're all hands on deck to finish the DLC for We Happy Few. They might be the longest way out from releasing a game unless they make something small.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Ruined by an edge lord cover, in my eyes and ears.
You guys crazy the Disturbed version is awesome.

Disturbed version is freaking awesome, but it doesn't fit to that trailer at all.

The trailer is too short and everything is happening way too fast and jumping from flashback to modern time.

With slow song like that you want everything else going slow too and maybe use some slowmotion in action scenes etc. I see what they were trying to do, but failed pretty badly. Trailer would be so much better without that cover.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
I agree in regard to the Focus publishing deal prolonging the wait until this studio could bring value to Xbox if acquired. Microsoft can do better than Asobo, too. Just because a studio exists doesn't mean that they should be acquired. Let's see how A Plague Tale turns out and what direction they move in afterwards. I'm not hot on the idea of picking up a support studio working on their first large project.

This is the same consideration Which could be done about Relic entertainment. Sega owns this team and i can't understand if MS is going to buy them or we'll see only a commercial agreement concerning AOE's franchise

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
All this talk about Gears 4 Tomorrow trailer reminded me that Xbox deletes all the good trailers from their official channel after some time has passed. This is REALLY DUMB, and i don't understand why the fuck they do this. They don't realize the value that these trailers have for Youtube and internet history.
Some really awesome trailers that they deleted from the main Xbox channel.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
All this talk about Gears 4 Tomorrow trailer reminded me that Xbox deletes all the good trailers from their official channel after some time has passed. This is REALLY DUMB, and i don't understand why the fuck they do this. They don't realize the value that these trailers have for Youtube and internet history.

so cool

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. There's a big difference between being in the final stages of working on a project that launches within 12 months and announcing projects that are likely 2-3 years away. If they had been contact by Microsoft around the time that the other studios started negotiations, or even after E3 2018, it doesn't seem likely that they would be announcing a deal with another publisher.

I personally don't think Asobo was ever realistically considered. There's not much development at the studio level to be done there, in my opinion. They're been around almost twenty years and already have 150 employees. I also don't think they have a particularly impressive body of work. Yes, Microsoft has worked with them in the past, but it was almost always as a support studio. Sure, A Plague Tale: Innocence looks great and I will probably be checking it out at launch, but unless it's a massive step in the right direction, I don't see them adding much value to Game Pass or the XGS catalog.

It's not that I think they're a bad studio. They are fine as an independent developer and support studio for third-party publishers. I just think there are more interesting chances Microsoft could take.

Yeh man I agree, Asobo probably isn't a wise choice for MS to be looking at. Not entirely sure how they would compliment their current roster either.
If I were looking Dontnod would be a far better choice thanks to their expertise in episodic games and more recently RPGs. Again, the new Focus partnership probably throws that theory out the window.

Nevertheless, in terms of acquisitions exciting times at E3 are sure to come.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Not a good source but 4chan does have leaks from time to time:

http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/459550449#top

"PS5 RAM solution 2.5-3x faster than Anaconda: Sony is going to shock the dev world again. We are all fucking giddy over here with the test results. Anaconda doing it the traditional way. PS5 speed will blow you away."

How about we leave this stuff to PS5 vs next gen Xbox thread. I would also rather believe crapgamer than that leak

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Not a good source but 4chan does have leaks from time to time:

http://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/459550449#top

"PS5 RAM solution 2.5-3x faster than Anaconda: Sony is going to shock the dev world again. We are all fucking giddy over here with the test results. Anaconda doing it the traditional way. PS5 speed will blow you away."

Sounds great if true but I believe that the next Xbox will be more powerful than PS5 but it will be minimal simply because both Sony and Microsoft are basically using the same chip sets so how could one not know what the other is doing? Main difference is that there won't be an add-on packed into the box so next gen will be very interesting.

Either way, with Halo Infinite being a launch title for the next Xbox console, it's day one for me 100% while PS5 is 50/50 as I have to know what the launch titles will be. At least one must play title will do it. But it's all a wait and see.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017

:) loved forza 3 and gears 4 trailers

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe there is any value linking anything to 4chan. Unless some known insider specifically points to a leak as credible, and let's be honest it's probably never going to happen, there's nothing of value to be gained since the site is anonymous and anyone can be an "insider".

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
I've been getting into Ashen and really think A44 could be a good acquisition target. Ashen is very good. They are a small team (LinkedIn says 30) obviously full of potential.The Souls-type game isn't going anywhere. It would be good to have a well regarded exclusive in the genre. Especially as most non-From games haven't been as well regarded as Ashen seems to have been.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland

You know that publisher rights can be bought, right?

May 14th, Cyanide has been bought by Big Ben Interactive. They had two on going deals with Focus Home Interactive, The Council (an episodic game released during 2018, the first episode had been released in March 2018) and Werewolf: The Apocalypse (2020). Big Ben Interactive has published the complete edition of The Council and has bought all publishing rights about Werewolf: The Apocalypse.

I don't say Microsoft will buy Asobo, Dontnod (I doubt, even if I still think they're working on a Xbox launch title exclusive) or anyone else, but a studio that had a publishing deal with Focus Home Interactive has been bought last year, so it's absolutely not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.