• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

No one's gonna talk about that shirt, not to mention the, we'll call it bold, decision to wear dark wash jeans with that shirt?

Absolutely true, and a special mention to Germany, the First country for RTS games. About that, MS should increase efforts with it's famosi IP: AOE and Ron.
Assuming this, i believe Relic would be a needed acquisition.

Another RTS studio to think about along with relic would be Uber Entertainment, developers of Planetary Annihilation...and presumably other stuff. They're in Washington so they'd be close to several other Xbox teams, which helps.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox should just check out Barcelona for acquiring talent or maybe even opening a studio (I know it's not happening, not even in alternative timelines, but still...)

Professional Environment:
- Great strategic location. It's a growing tech hub with companies like Amazon, Facebook, IBM and more. Microsoft already has offices there too.
- In terms of video game studios: Ubisoft Barcelona, Gameloft, King, Social Point (which means that there's talent).
- Medium/Small indie studios: Digital Legends (70 - 90 employees), Nomada Studio (Last game: GRIS; 5 - 10 employees), Lince Works (Last game: Aragami; 10 - 15 employees), Altered Matter (5 - 10 employees), ...

City Environment:
- Great weather and living conditions. The housing market's prices have been skyrocketing for a few years, but it's still cheap compared to the US.
- Secure/safe city.
- International and culturally reach.
- Good transportation system.

Economics:
- Spain is cheap in terms of salary. I don't know how the equal salary thing works exactly at Microsoft, but for instance: a junior designer might earn around 70k/year in the Bay Area (CA). The exact same position in Barcelona is 25-30k/year (or lower...).
- Logistics/Space/Offices are also much cheaper.

What now Phil, I'm speaking in Satya terms >:)

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
While i agree there should be a Ninja Gaiden 4, i personally hope that if MS is heavily involved with it, it happens in-house and has full dedication to QA after "mess" that NG3 was. However i wouldn't put much faith into a new game anytime soon considering the IP holder which is ofcourse a huge bummer for any NG fan.

With the rise of more traditional action games like Sekiro and DMC5 which seem to be both a financial success, i sure hope that MS is able to pull off an action-focused hack and slash game with it's own gimmick and ofcourse unique worldbuilding.

Jan 4, 2018
Xbox should just check out Barcelona for acquiring talent or maybe even opening a studio (I know it's not happening, not even in alternative timelines, but still...)

- Great strategic location. It's a growing tech hub with companies like Amazon, Facebook, IBM and more. Microsoft already has offices there too.
- In terms of video game studios: Ubisoft Barcelona, Gameloft, King, Social Point (which means that there's talent).
- Medium/Small indie studios: Digital Legends (70 - 90 employees), Nomada Studio (Last game: GRIS; 5 - 10 employees), Lince Works (Last game: Aragami; 10 - 15 employees), Altered Matter (5 - 10 employees), ...

City Environment:
- Great weather and living conditions. The housing market's prices have been skyrocketing for a few years, but it's still cheap compared to the US.
- Secure/safe city.

Economics:
- Spain is cheap in terms of salary. I don't know how the equal salary thing works exactly at Microsoft, but for instance: a junior designer might earn around 70k/year in the Bay Area (CA). The exact same position in Barcelona is 25-30k/year (or lower...).

You're from Barcelona too? Hahaha :p

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Microsoft doesn't have a hardware presence in Japan but they could have a software presence with Xcloud. Also can't discount the impact Eastern content has on markets outside of Japan. They add variety to lineups and for the substantial number of games who grew up on Nintendo, Sega and early PlayStation, those games still carry weight.

Buying more studios throughout Europe doesn't really change Xbox brand or perception in Europe. Most of the top European studios make content that looks like it could've been made in Cali.

Techland and 4A are awesome studios but their games don't necessarily look so different from games made in the US and I don't think they expand Xbox influence in Europe. If they're purchased, it's because they'll produce awesome content and you deal with the inefficiencies of their location. Their location is a hinderance, not a positive to global expansion in any meaningful way.

Kind of explains why Microsoft has been cosying up with Nintendo recently. Providing XCloud and Game Pass exclusively on Nintendo Switch will give MS a massive presence.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

City Environment:
- Secure/safe city.

Economics:

Was interesting to read the other day about that Spanish publisher that disappeared off to Colombia and fucked over a bunch of indie devs in the local area, judging by the responses on here and reddit it sounds like Spanish dev scene is a bit volatile, I'm sure if MS acquired a studio (like tequila works) or opened one I'm sure a lot of devs would flock to said studio simply for the job/ financial stability and not having to worry about getting screwed about or layed off.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Was interesting to read the other day about that Spanish publisher that disappeared off to Colombia and fucked over a bunch of indie devs in the local area, judging by the responses on here and reddit it sounds like Spanish dev scene is a bit volatile, I'm sure if MS acquired a studio (like tequila works) or opened one I'm sure a lot of devs would flock to said studio simply for the job/ financial stability and not having to worry about getting screwed about or layed off.
idk, I think that publisher always seemed shady and wasn't well known. This stuff could happen anywhere.
Can't disagree on the volatile part though. It definitely is in terms of small indie studios, but it's volatile because it is not a sector as mature as others in comparison with neighbouring countries like France or the UK. It's slowly improving though. Lots of universities already offer video game dev/animation/3d degrees and courses, talent is there, and you can start to see the results. On the other side, big devs don't seem to have many issues (specially mobile devs).

You're from Barcelona too? Hahaha :p

hahah damn... I should have been more discrete :p

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London

I glanced at this, and thanks to the light fitting behind him and the clothes he's wearing, I initially thought Darrell had long, black, swept-back hair and was clad in a long brocade coat. As if he was addressing the team from the set of Bram Stoker's Dracula or something.

I was really quite disappointed when I looked more closely.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Xbox doesn't soon get it's own AAA JRPG lined up, I'm not buying their next gen console.

This generation is still a disappointment.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yes why not wastes money on a game that most jrpg fans will dismiss and then revealuate some years later and xbox fans will ignore

They can afford it, and they can't afford not to as far as I'm concerned. I spend thousands of dollars on Xbox. It's my main console platform. I don't like Playstation or Nintendo much at all.

I was in it for console RPGs and Japanese games first and foremost every time I bought a console. This generation has been one big disappointment from Xbox. All tease, canceled games, buggy launches, hardware upgrade hype, budget subscription services I really don't need, all of it barely redeemed by pooling back compat games I own already, and the "better late than never" release of some 3rd party Japanese games we already played elsewhere. Now they are teasing studio acquisions to ramp up for another hardware cycle.

Xbox does not appeal to anybody in Japan, but Japanese games drove console gaming for decades and any flagship platform should have at least 1 god damned first party game in all major genres. Scalebound was going to be it, as much as it looked like a dumpster fire.

I won't buy Scarlett hardware unless they shit or get off the pot with a new JRPG for their customer base. Lost Odyssey was more than 10 years ago.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I think that's a fair position to take. I grew up on the Master System/Mega Drive, and for a large part of my gaming experience, gaming essentially was Japanese. I moved on to the Saturn and then the DC, and it was Sega's games that mostly drove me to the OG Xbox (the other piece of that puzzle was Halo; I saw someone playing The Silent Cartographer on a demo station and it blew my tiny mind.)

These days, a decent chunk of the games I play are still Japanese, and I am also disappointed in the lack of them on Xbox. I think this is the first gen that they've really felt lacking on the platform, and every E3 better JP support is one of my main wishes.

At the same time, I can understand why those games are skipping the Xbox One, as disappointing as it is. I think the reality is just that you need a second platform if you want that kind of content. When they do come, I try to buy them on Xbox to show support for those releases and hopefully send a message that there is demand. But I don't think there are enough people buying them. I feel like MS splashing the cash can only do so much if the audience isn't really there.

Despite all that, Xbox is still my main platform (I'd estimate that about 90% of my gaming time is spent there, with the other ten split between Switch, PS4 and PC). But then, I am well over 1,000 hours into Halo 5, so... :)

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
They can afford it, and they can't afford not to as far as I'm concerned. I spend thousands of dollars on Xbox. It's my main console platform. I don't like Playstation or Nintendo much at all.

I was in it for console RPGs and Japanese games first and foremost every time I bought a console. This generation has been one big disappointment from Xbox. All tease, canceled games, buggy launches, hardware upgrade hype, budget subscription services I really don't need, all of it barely redeemed by pooling back compat games I own already, and the "better late than never" release of some 3rd party Japanese games we already played elsewhere. Now they are teasing studio acquisions to ramp up for another hardware cycle.

Xbox does not appeal to anybody in Japan, but Japanese games drove console gaming for decades and any flagship platform should have at least 1 god damned first party game in all major genres. Scalebound was going to be it, as much as it looked like a dumpster fire.

I won't buy Scarlett hardware unless they shit or get off the pot with a new JRPG for their customer base. Lost Odyssey was more than 10 years ago.
Does it have to be JRPG? What about an action game?

AAA JRPGs are going the way of the Dodo.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
The Xbox publishing team would be dumb not to consider the possibility of working with Team Ninja for a new Ninja Gaiden. These tough action games have been doing well and I'm sure this would be the perfect time to resurrect the series.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
While i agree there should be a Ninja Gaiden 4, i personally hope that if MS is heavily involved with it, it happens in-house and has full dedication to QA after "mess" that NG3 was. However i wouldn't put much faith into a new game anytime soon considering the IP holder which is ofcourse a huge bummer for any NG fan.

With the rise of more traditional action games like Sekiro and DMC5 which seem to be both a financial success, i sure hope that MS is able to pull off an action-focused hack and slash game with it's own gimmick and ofcourse unique worldbuilding.

MS just needs to bring back Ninja Blade.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
The OG Xbox had loads of exclusives and below I have made a list of just some of the ones I was curious about the future of...

Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding (Indie Built)
Amped 2 (Indie Built)
Blinx: The Time Sweeper (Artoon)
Blinx 2: Masters of Time and Space (Artoon)
Breakdown (Namco)
Brute Force (Digital Anvil)
Conker: Live & Reloaded (Rare)
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (FASA Studio)
Dino Crisis 3 (Capcom)
Gunvalkyrie (Smilebit)
Fuzion Frenzy (Blitz Games)
Jade Empire (BioWare)
Jet Set Radio Future (Smilebit)
MechAssault (Day 1 Studios)
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf (Day 1 Studios)
Midtown Madness 3 (Angel Studios)
Otogi: Myth of Demons (FromSoftware)
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors (FromSoftware)
Panzer Dragoon Orta (Smilebit)
Phantom Dust (Yukio Futatsugi)
Project Gotham Racing (Bizarre Creations)
Project Gotham Racing 2 (Bizarre Creations)
Quantum Redshift (Curly Monsters)
RalliSport Challenge (Digital Illusions CE)
RalliSport Challenge 2 (Digital Illusions CE)
Steel Battalion (Capcom)
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact (Capcom)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (Starbreeze Studios)
Voodoo Vince (Beep Industries)

Does Microsoft own the rights to any of these games? Jade Empire for example was developed by BioWare but could a future remake or revival continue to be an Xbox exclusive? Quantum Redshift could be the Xbox answer to Wipeout on the PlayStation and deserves a second chance? Even though FromSoftware most likely owns the Otogi IP, does the fact that it was exclusive to Xbox mean anything if it was to be revived? Most importantly would anyone welcome the return of these games in future?

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is responding to the tweet with Gamertags. So far it has been Greenberg, Phil, Major and others

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
JRPGs

giphy.gif

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
The OG Xbox had loads of exclusives and below I have made a list of just some of the ones I was curious about the future of...

Amped 2 (Indie Built)
Breakdown (Namco)
Dino Crisis 3 (Capcom)
Gunvalkyrie (Smilebit)
Jade Empire (BioWare)
Steel Battalion (Capcom)

Does Microsoft own the rights to any of these games? Jade Empire for example was developed by BioWare but could a future remake or revival continue to be an Xbox exclusive? Quantum Redshift could be the Xbox answer to Wipeout on the PlayStation and deserves a second chance? Even though FromSoftware most likely owns the Otogi IP, does the fact that it was exclusive to Xbox mean anything if it was to be revived? Most importantly would anyone welcome the return of these games in future?
Jade Empire IP is owned by EA. Would have been fascinating to see where peak BioWare might have gone with it.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND

Amped 2 (Indie Built)
Breakdown (Namco)
Dino Crisis 3 (Capcom)
Gunvalkyrie (Smilebit)
Jade Empire (BioWare)
Steel Battalion (Capcom)

I'd really like to see something similar to Quantum Redshift make a comeback. As much as I enjoyed Redout, it really doesn't itch what I feel WipeOut has brought. Really miss those games.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018

Amped 2 (Indie Built)
Breakdown (Namco)
Dino Crisis 3 (Capcom)
Gunvalkyrie (Smilebit)
Jade Empire (BioWare)
Steel Battalion (Capcom)

You forgot Transworld Snowboarding!

220px-Transworld_Snowboarding_Xbox.jpg

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
There's already a console called Xbox...
Seriously, have you guys lost all faith in MS's ability to name their products? It's not that hard to name a console.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
There's already a console called Xbox...
Seriously, have you guys lost all faith in MS's ability to name their products? It's not that hard to name a console.
MS has really weird notions about names. Honestly they should just call it the Xbox 5 since apparently they're deathly afraid of giving an Xbox console a lower number than Sony's PS.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Does anyone else think halo's popularity could blow up again soon? Like halo 3 levels.

If the pc launch goes well and infinite is as good as it could be I think halo could be king again. I think mcc coming to steam is gunna be huge. At least 5 million players from it, leading into infinite. Halo hype could be 2007 levels next holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.