• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If compulsion can make a game that doesn't run like shit at launch, they're gonna surprise a lot of people.
I keep saying this for a while already. People are sleeping on Compulsion.
If their are list made here they are left out alot of times. They are great story tellers and unique world builders. Just the overall package hasnt been great yet. Wich money and resources can help alot with.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Of notable Japanese developers, I think Konami's console stuff is buyable. Their output on console is dreadful. Konami is focused on other things. They have other businesses that they use their IPs for however one has to assume there's a price somewhere to grab console rights to those IPs the same way Microsoft owns gaming rights to Shadowrun and Battletech. There's also some scraps of studios left over where Microsoft could poach an industry vet and put at the head of.

Microsoft wouldn't be buying the publisher. Just videogame rights to IPs and console developers.

Have Bluepointe remake MGS. 2nd party deal with From to bring Castlevania to modern form (mimicking Bloodbourne game design).

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Of notable Japanese developers, I think Konami's console stuff is buyable. Their output on console is dreadful. Konami is focused on other things. They have other businesses that they use their IPs for however one has to assume there's a price somewhere to grab console rights to those IPs the same way Microsoft owns gaming rights to Shadowrun and Battletech. There's also some scraps of studios left over where Microsoft could poach an industry vet and put at the head of.

Microsoft wouldn't be buying the publisher. Just videogame rights to IPs and console developers.

Have Bluepointe remake MGS. 2nd party deal with From to bring Castlevania to modern form (mimicking Bloodbourne game design).
Castlevania doesn't need to be modernized. Just give a contract to an indie studio to make a good 2D platformer.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Companies rarely part with IP.

Especially companies like Konami sitting on treasure troves.

One can hope though, it would be rad to have a new Suikoden.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
Just doesn't seem Gears to me

Gears is part horror
Gears 1 and Gears 4 have some horror/darker sections, but the others 2,3,Judgement are action. I agree I like those sections and judging from the trailer for 5 it should have some of that also (sneaking past the deactivated robot to be surrounded, things you think are part of the environment suddenly attacking etc.)

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Let them keep the IPs for their Pachinko machines. Just grab the gaming rights...where Konami obviously has little to no interest in investing.

I think MS are done with not owning the IP to games they publish anymore.

They'd have to own the IP and perhaps extend a license to Konami to use them for their other ventures.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018

I think this would be brilliant. I've been looking at Konami's IP catalog a lot lately. There's a lot of juicy fruit on that tree. I wonder if Kojima would consider going back to Metal Gear if it wasn't connected to Konami and he had a strong publisher to fund the project. Ninja Theory could be a good candidate to explore the idea of a 3D Castlevania if they were interested. You could also develop 2D Castlevania games. Silent Hill is another obvious candidate to be revived.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
No date. Same as Bleeding Edge.
Wich is great imo.
Yea let it bake until they are ready no rush hopefully
I think this would be brilliant. I've been looking at Konami's IP catalog a lot lately. There's a lot of juicy fruit on that tree. I wonder if Kojima would consider going back to Metal Gear if it wasn't connected to Konami and he had a strong publisher to fund the project. Ninja Theory could be a good candidate to explore the idea of a 3D Castlevania if they were interested. You could also develop 2D Castlevania games. Silent Hill is another obvious candidate to be revived.
ah! That would be amazing

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Konami should auction off its old IPs to the highest bidder. Castlevania wouldn't make much sense for Microsoft. Let Sony or Nintendo have it. Microsoft should go after Metal Gear.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Konami should auction off its old IPs to the highest bidder. Castlevania wouldn't make much sense for Microsoft. Let Sony or Nintendo have it. Microsoft should go after Metal Gear.
I disagree. Microsoft already has Perfect Dark and they're going to be under a lot less pressure if they decide to bring that back in a big way instead of Metal Gear. Any company that tries to bring back Metal Gear without Kojima is going to get a lot of criticism and unwarranted hate. It's just the nature of fandom. Microsoft doesn't have anything in its portfolio like Castlevania and I generally think their fans would be far more receptive to a new Castlevania game under the XGS banner.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I'm gonna preface this by saying this is a bit of a passionate subject for me, so I apologize if I come off as dismissive or rather blunt.

If MS buys a Japanese dev, there is little to no reason not to put whatever game they make on Switch (outside the switch not being able to run it).

1."But Zeta, what if they are trying to attract a new audience by finally getting exclusive Japanese games?"

They tried that. It didn't work then and it definitely isn't gonna work now.

2. Could you really imagine being developer working on a project your passionate about, then waking up everyday and realizing no one who plays games in your entire country gives a shit about what your working on because it's exclusive to a platform no one cares about where your live?

3. Everyone who mains eastern developed games already has a PS4 or a Switch because at this point it's common sense that that's where you go for those types of games. That's not gonna magically change for Scarlett and PS5 just because MS might get an exclusive. So if your looking at this from MS's perspective, what makes more sense?

a. Keeping your Japanese developer locked to exclusive releases on Xbox for the chance of getting an audience typically averse to your platform in the first place to buy hardware for maybe 2-3 games tops for the entire gen...

Or

b. Allowing the dev to release on Switch as well as PC (with crossbuy/crossplay/ All that good stuff) to ensure that that particular audience gets access to your game without dropping money on hardware and as a result, get way more software sales than a Xbox exclusive Japanese developed game ever would, and if it includes the hooks that stuff like Minecraft on Switch does, more MAU's that may actually invest in your ecosystem now that they have easy access.

I know list wars mean a lot to certain people but I'm having a hard time seeing how switch releases if a Japanese dev comes into play would have negatives that outweigh the positives. And I say all this as someone who thinks there is a place for Japanese games on Xbox and that they can do well on the platform (Nier: Automata & FFXV both come to mind) but I'm tired of Xbox trying and then we as gamers get stuck with gems that never get follow ups because it wasn't the success MS wanted. Like can you imagine for a second if these games had gotten the proper treatment and success they probably would have got on other platforms?

We should be on Lost Odyssey 3 by now.

We should be on Blue Dragon 2 by now.

D4 should have gotten finished.

Crimson Dragon shouldn't have been a damn Kinect game and we should have a proper spiritual follow up to Panzer Dragoon Orta by now.

Ninety Nine Nights shouldn't be dead right now.

We would have spin offs to Phantom Dust by now.

Don't get me started on Scalebound.

It has sucked to be a fan of Xbox and Japanese games since the first years of the 360. I would really hate to see another attempt fail cause at the end of the day, I want to see good games get treated as such instead of being tossed in the trash and forgotten about like so many of Xbox's past attempts.

/End rant

Status
Not open for further replies.