• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Google cloud is pretty widely available to anyone that wants to use it, just like Azure and AWS. It's a not as feature rich (last time I checked a few years ago) and not as reliable, and not as available in as many regions, and thus not nearly as widely used.

The last part is honestly the biggest reason Sony and Nintendo would chose Azure over Google Cloud, and probably the best advantage Xbox has, it's just bigger. Azure has something like 50 regions to Google a 10 (not exact numbers).

EDIT: I see what you meant, didn't see the link at first. Yeah, Google probably won't be offering Stadia as a white label like X-Cloud, but if they did then my comment above stands.
The link is just talking about the environmental and community impact of the data centers that DO serve Google internally. That doesn't mean that's all they do.

https://cloud.google.com/about/data-centers/

44alltheway

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
How are people feeling about the upcoming Gears 5? This is coming from someone who has never played any of the Gears games. I rewatched the trailer today and am just not into it. The trailer itself was pretty bad in my opinion. The characters showcased in the first half of the trailer were pretty bland as well. The short glimpses of gameplay looked interesting. Are people holding out hope that the multiplayer will be good, or is the general consensus that the singleplayer mode should be good?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
How are people feeling about the upcoming Gears 5? This is coming from someone who has never played any of the Gears games. I rewatched the trailer today and am just not into it. The trailer itself was pretty bad in my opinion. The characters showcased in the first half of the trailer were pretty bland as well. The short glimpses of gameplay looked interesting. Are people holding out hope that the multiplayer will be good, or is the general consensus that the singleplayer mode should be good?
I'm incredibly excited for it. It sounds like it's the most ambitious Gears game yet.

Apr 6, 2018
It's just an easy way they can push the benefits of their next gen system harder/encourage people to upgrade without completely shafting them. It would also mean more complex game worlds and such. That doesn't necessarily mean the game would be better, but it might be.
Halo needs complex worlds? It has an already complex gameplay, it's fps, it doesn't need "worlds". It needs well designed levels(and IMHO blue team and enemy lines have the best level design in the series), worlds are fucking boring.
The market is oversaturated with badly done GaaS games. The model gives devs an excuse to release games in a severely content-limited state. We've seen this time & time again this gen with games like No Man's Sky, Sea of Thieves, Anthem, Battlefield 5, etc.

Some of them do improve over time, yes, but the initial release of a 60$ severely content hungry game always leads to bad initial press and most of them only catch up on content too late when most people have moved on.

Even worse, is when Devs who are masters at single player experiences dwelve into this GaaS model with no experience as seen with Bioware with Anthem, and Rare with Sea of Thieves. This is my biggest worry.

Look at the best games of the past years. Most of them do not use the GaaS model, but are COMPLETE Single Player experiences ie. God Of War, RDR2, BOTW, Witcher 3. Heck even the best games of this year so far are complete single player games ie. Sekiro, RE2, DMCV.

Microsoft has acquired some of my favourite Single Player powerhouses such as Obsidian and Ninja Theory and I pray to God they don't move away from single player games which they are masters of. Can you imagine losing Obsidian to the same fate as Bioware?
Sea of thieves is one of the best gaas around there, costantly updated with a deep sandbox which is enriched constantly.
RDR2 and GOW means nothing to me, besides the extremely high production value and music/visuals. They are boring. TW3 would have been better with a more robust handling of th campaign like the 2 and fewer subquests but all perfect like bloody baron. Plus it had to be a gaas because at launch it was bethesda like bugged.
DMCV is a perfect game, but a wasted opportunity because it could have expanded the bloody palace with time.
An ever updating and evolving obsidian game? I will sign
I don't care of ninja theory and I hope that ms shows them how to do it.
AI is CPU intensive. So is frame rate. If you're going to increase frame rate, there's less CPU resources to use for AI. It's never been confirmed this is the reason for the poor AI in Halo 5 despite AI being a strength of the franchise in the past. It's a theory that does make sense. That said, even with with CPU resources, you can have bad AI depending on the developer. I remember some 343 dev interviews where they said they dumbed down the AI because at one point it was too good which ruined the balance of the gameplay. Not sure whether to believe that.
Halo 5 had the third best Ai in the franchise IMHO, after 4 and reach.
Yeah, I'm not seeing any of that.

There's no obvious downgrade at all.
Yes, I always agree with you on halo
That's design, though, and not a sacrifice for a frame rate target, because the Prometheans had the same sandbox problems in H4, a game with a 30 fps cap. For instance, the Knights don't leave room for grenades because of their armor having only two weak spots and melee attacks are out because of the strong melee damage that they do (one hit kills on higher difficulties, even) and that they often wield scattershots (or incineration cannons). They can also spawn watchers, who throw grenades back at the player.

The AI is H5 is good, but they need to further tweak Promethean design than to go back on 60 frames. Or just have the primary enemy be the Banish, I'm cool with that, too.
I don't see the banished in infinite, infinite is a 5's direct sequel remember? But we just don't have enough connective extended universe material to make suppositions, no book, comic or anything is helping.
Go back to Halo 3 or maybe Halo Reach and play those at legendary. Then compare the enemy behaviors to the covenant in Halo 4 and 5.

The difference should become clear.

I don't mean to frame it as having bad AI. The AI was above many other games but still a downgrade from past Halo games.

IMO the peak of the series AI was Halo 3. Even in Reach, some downgrades can be seen, likely from the increased number of enemies in the encounters, leaving less resources per character. Halo 4 went further down and Halo 5 beyond that. I want the AI from Halo 1 and Halo 3 to return.

I think it's a combination of the two. It is a fact that 60fps leaves less resources on the CPU side. Add in the larger numbers of enemies and it wouldn't be surprising if CPU resources were spread too thin.

Edit:

The quarter and half rate animation found in the AI characters is another clear sign of CPU limitations in the game.
Played and 3's ai is just obscene, while IMHO 4 is the absolute peak of AI in gaming among isolation.
Rare is my favorite developer, so I cant wait to see what theyre working on. It is impossible to define Rare, or know what to expect from them. The constantly remake themselves with new Ip after new ip, and genre after genre.

I also hope some of their old franchises return too. We got Killer Instinct, and Battletoads coming this generation. We even got Conker's Big Reunion which was actually pretty decent considering it was Project Spark DLC, but Id love to see a real return from Conker and Banjo. Even just remakes similar to Crash and Spyro would be great.
We just had to wait Battletoads and Perfect dark, even if I don't see Rare making a new game of an old saga unless they have a new vision for it.
Of all the Minecraft spin offs, I feel like a cart racer makes the most sense. An RTS or a cover based shooter could be cool, but they'd feel a little odd to me, and there's games like that that already exist, not that there aren't other cart racers.

Plus, there's already minecraft skins for a lot of Xbox franchises, so the roster wouldn't even be that much of a stretch. And the minecraft style seems like the only way I'd be able to not feel weird about seeing Master Chief and Joanna Dark racing along side Banjo and General Raam.

It'd also make for a pretty cool, forge style level editor. And one of the power ups could be a giant diamond pick axe that straight just cuts a hole in the walls of the level that's there for the rest of the race. And you could race through minecraft versions of levels from Xbox games. Minecraft Library, Minecraft Viva Piñata farm, minecraft swan boat thing from Lost Odyssey.

It doesn't have to happen, not every platform needs a Mariokart, but it could happen.
I just can't immagine minekart, I'm sorry. While Minecraft x Stronghold crusader could be an awesome thing IMHO
He'll definitely be in 5 in some form. I do wonder if we'll actually go inside Mt Kadar and explore the ruined capital.
In 5 he will be just the old monitor's voice in new hope.
The description of gears tactics is fitting to Niles, so he maybe turned to a locust and become the main villain of the spin off.
Interesting, Mincons gonna have a ton of announcements this year.
Two new games and a new expansion.
No building, eh? So it's just Diablo with a Minecraft Skin? I guess that's fine.
We don't even know how the gameplay works, my analogy was due to the focus on procedually generated weapons and settings, but the gear- focus instead of classes breaks the comparison..
Would be awesome but I'd rather see them keep some stuff for E3 2020 when it really matters. Next E3, they should really build momentum in time for the launch and show it all.

Keep AOE4, Gears Tactics and FH4 expansions etc. for Gamescom.
Nah they will be fine at e3, microsoft had to share their image as good gaas guys, once you buy one of their products you can count that will last for years. I guess that fh4 2nd dlc will be a stand alone, so it could be marketed as a new game, like monster hunter or hzd.
IMHO at e3 we will see again minecraft and SoT with tease f what's next.
Tactics could be a minor title in the 2020's line up
I wish/hope they actually aren't working on Fable. I'd rather they make a new IP.
I don't love fable, or at least I'm not a fan, but IMHO it's what's the industry needs, too much seriousness in fantasy
2016 is too early, that's when Fable Legends was cancelled. One migh have concluded that MS had further plans for the series when rumours broke out that MS couldn't find a buyer for Lionhead because they were unwilling to give up the Fable IP, but I don't think that there were any concrete rumblings at the time. In early 2018 Eurogamer's sources revealed that Playground were working on Fable.
I too heard of the playground rumor in 2016 from a friend, so it spawned somewhere in that period

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Gears series is like old and new Star Wars movies.

I think all are in agreement that 1-3 is just a great action packed trilogy with memorable characters and stories.

The new 4-6? seem to be a bit of a hit/ miss scenario. People either like it or don't. A lot of people didn't like the new characters and story was so-so.

5 is obviously a continuation of 4 so it will be up to you to play 4 first and decide what you think. After 5 we should have an idea where 6 will be headed.

Despite different opinions about 4, it still has stellar shoot and cover mechanics imo and is unmatched by other 3rd person shooters.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

Magnarock

May 12, 2019
NIS (Nippon Ichi Software) is in technical bankruptcy. Any chance that Microsoft contemplates its acquisition?

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
That Interficium poster got done dirty by getting banned for calling out Leocarian in that thread. Permanent ban for speaking truth about that poster being a fake insider. Honestly, I was always dogging Leocarian, too, because of the way they posted, so I'm glad no mods caught me telling Leocarian what time it was.
He could be a bit...hostile at times

Apr 6, 2018
Just saying I'm not too sure about that. Personally, I think FH5 has a higher chance of happening in the launch window. FM Next development just started a few months ago (well, graphics/tech engineers obviously are working on it for longer already). While not impossible, I simply wouldn't make "FM comes as a next-gen start title" a definitive statement.

Forza won't skip 2019. Forza Street and a significant FH4 expansion are happening this year.
I dont see that happening if you said that fh4 second dlc is going to be an huge one. Playground is good but not that good, especially after "loosing" grant orban and ralph fulton to the rpg studio will slow them.
Wait is this actual official art?
looks fan made ?

is it?
Nope, it's a fan made from the official Halo:nightfall art.
I need leaks... I'm so thristy...😩😩😩😩
I agree, I feel the thirst
Just 3 weeks to go! I for one hope there are no leaks.
for an anxious person it's like been tortured, I need leaks.
I've previously argued for a FH5 instead of FM8 simply because FH is much bigger than FM now. FH5 in Japan+New Seasons+Story Mode? will shake up things enough to not cause franchise fatigue. If the expansion is really significant, I'm not sure they can deliver Story Mode/Campaign which I personally would like to see.

FH5 at launch of Scarlett will sell gangbusters ( Console+Software) in Europe which FM simply cannot.

FM8 is hiring well and I dont mind them taking time till 2021 and revamp what the franchise is. The fact that FM is not on Gamepass also hurts it a lot more.
Is there any fifth season? With an huge expansion between them?
I don't see that happen.
FM7 isn't on gp just because they had not signed deals with car producers for gamepass, FM8 will definitly be on gamepass.
Remember that Playground NEEDS Turn 10 like the previous iteration of the saga for the engine, so if they are not ready, nor will be playground. FH5 will be fine in 2021 with an established console base.
How would people feel about io interactive developing perfect dark
It's absolutely perfect for the mission design, while IDK about the shooting.

Everyone wants a slice of azure? Nadella should be happy
https://i./i/pix/2017/06/13/21/415A5ECD00000578-4601362-image-m-21_1497386857986.jpg
So gears is my favourite Ip ever, with the best gameplay ever created, I've played each one of them multiple times, read the expanded universe products and so on.
Of course the opening looks bland, you don't know anything, who those person are, what is their backstory and what everything means.
The gameplay is already excellent in gears, so no wonder it looked awesome in the footage.
So what I think about the game? That will be a missed occasion for the perfect game because it should have been linear like the previous. Adding the skiff sections and esploration will doom the campaign quality even though I expect the single sections to be awesome.
The bad influence of the fucking Cory Balrog, may God curse him.
The multiplayer with horde 4.0, pvp with new movement options, and "escape" will be good
NIS (Nippon Ichi Software) is in technical bankruptcy. Any chance that Microsoft contemplates its acquisition?
Depends, msft think that they could take advantage of the disgaea ip? They will had to pay extra bucks after the bankruptcy to pay the debts and bring the studio to the modern age?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Japanese site Ha-Navi confirms that Disgaea RPG is the main cause for this last decline that resulted in the company unable to pay wages. On March 19th of this year, the title — a collaboration effort between NIS and Forward Works (a subsidiary of Sony) — began service.
I don't think MS will be swooping in on this one. They're pretty deeply in debt and not in a place to even contemplate being saved, let alone by a foreign company.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I too heard of the playground rumor in 2016 from a friend, so it spawned somewhere in that period

That's interesting, because back then the rumour would have been baseless speculation. According to rumours, Playground were initially pitching an original IP action RPG to multiple publishers, but they failed to land a deal, so Microsoft then suggested that they turn it into a Fable game instead. To my understanding, that happened at some point in 2017, not earlier than that. The first confirmation of Playground's second studio came at the start of 2017, and the first news of their second project being an RPG - still not Fable at that point - broke later that year.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
What if IO isn't acquired but instead they are working on a MSGP game? Speaking of which, I wonder if we will see that rumored Playful game this year. My wild guess is that they are working on Viva Piñata.

Staller

May 8, 2019
I don't understand why people are shocked by Microsoft working with Sony and Nintendo. They aren't enemies, they have been business partners for years.

If you're MS and you look at Game Streaming as a major part of the future then you would look at your future threats AWS, Tencent and Google. A possible solution is a services (a white label version of xCloud) which you can on-sell to other business partners but that's only one part.

Other parts would be looking at Microsoft core. MS has been about democratising software/technology and on-selling to clients. Phil has 2 parts to his job, Microsoft Gaming (MSG) and XBOX.
  • MSG: GameStack - PlayFab, Azure, Xbox Live, Mixer, Havok, DirectX, Xcloud etc.
  • Xbox: Xbox Live, XBox Game Studios, Game Pass, Personal Gaming across MS products like Console/PC and Mobile
If you watch the GDC 2019 videos about GameStack and Playfab. You will notice MS has taken all their technologies from XB Live and moved then into their Playfab services. Creating a product they can on-sell to 3rd party to compete against AWS.

(GDC GameStack Video (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaCZHrQg_-qPrYIVsTFuUHg )
KAuxao2.png

I was joking about 'solid maybe' but when you look at this image there is one thing missing from MS's Gamestack.

Nintendo/GamePass Rumours
Been thinking that the whole Game Pass on Nintendo was only a small part. The main part is MS on-selling Xbox Live and Gamestack/Azure backend services to Nintendo for their online. Why reinvent the wheel when you can just purchase it? Phil's trips to Japan and Korea weren't about just getting Persona 5(as an example) on the xbox, they were about selling MSG and xCloud to the 3rd Party Publishers and Devs.

Google Stadia & Future
At this stage Google's cloud offerings aren't on the same level as AWS and Azure. This doesn't mean Stadia wouldn't be a success or the best. As you should never underestimate Google. But if you take future partners away from them you can remove forward momentum. I wouldn't be surprised if future partnerships with Nintendo, EA, Capcom, Sega, Steam, Bungie and maybe Zenimax are announced, shortly.

Random and Probably Wrong Thought
Phil's recent trip to Korea seemed a little usual as he normally only reference Japanese in his tweet, from what I remember. There have been job listings for the Korean market and from my understanding is Korea is mainly a PC (Cross Fire) and mobile market. Now the random thought part. I have been wondering if an additional part of the Korean trip was looking at the possibility of purchasing the US based studios (Seattle and Austin) from NCSoft? Arena.net was down sized to 250ish early 2019 and NCSoft's outlook was a little soft. I'm probably wrong.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
I don't understand why people are shocked by Microsoft working with Sony and Nintendo. They aren't enemies, they have been business partners for years.

If you're MS and you look at Game Streaming as a major part of the future then you would look at your future threats AWS, Tencent and Google. A possible solution is a services (a white label version of xCloud) which you can on-sell to other business partners but that's only one part.

Other parts would be looking at Microsoft core. MS has been about democratising software/technology and on-selling to clients. Phil has 2 parts to his job, Microsoft Gaming (MSG) and XBOX.
  • MSG: GameStack - PlayFab, Azure, Xbox Live, Mixer, Havok, DirectX, Xcloud etc.
  • Xbox: Xbox Live, XBox Game Studios, Game Pass, Personal Gaming across MS products like Console/PC and Mobile
If you watch the GDC 2019 videos about GameStack and Playfab. You will notice MS has taken all their technologies from XB Live and moved then into their Playfab services. Creating a product they can on-sell to 3rd party to compete against AWS.

(GDC GameStack Video (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaCZHrQg_-qPrYIVsTFuUHg )
KAuxao2.png

I was joking about 'solid maybe' but when you look at this image there is one thing missing from MS's Gamestack.

A GAME ENGINE?!

giphy.gif

Just kidding, but that is my guess.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
What the hell happened to RodneyBouche?
He was right about Ninja Theory, he was starting to pick up steam as an insider and got so much undeserved hate.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
If I remember correctly, the problem with Rodney was he was doing some amazing squirrel work but was passing himself off as an insider when bringing it into the discussion. He got warned and then did it a few more times and was banned. There was also a bit of a language barrier so it might not have been entirely malicious.

I think that is right.

Apr 23, 2018
I'm extremely excited about it. Having bought almost every gears game at launch. I can't wait to get my hands on Gears 5. I'm interested to see where The Coalition takes the franchise. They keep saying this is their most ambitious gears game and I want to know what makes it so ambitious besides using the skiff to explore the frozen lake/area. I'm sure you could buy gears 4 for cheap now a days. Plus I think it's on Gamepass but I'm not sure. The gameplay is identical to the previous games and I think it's a good first gears game for most people. The story doesn't call back to the previous games as much so you won't be confused about certain events or "who or what is this" scenarios. and I think it does a good enough job of filling the holes and answering the questions the player has as they progress through the story. So you can determine if gears is your cup of tea and maybe decide to check out the previous games.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

I'll certainly download it to see how it showcases the Unreal Engine, but I'm not expecting to get much more out of it than that. I played Gears 4 and it's just not the type of game for me. The trailer from last year didn't change that impression. I'm sure fans of the series will be happy with it, though!

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I just need a little tidbit, like an up to date studio acquisition hint, that alone would be enough for this thread until E3 :P

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm extremely excited about it. Having bought almost every gears game at launch. I can't wait to get my hands on Gears 5. I'm interested to see where The Coalition takes the franchise. They keep saying this is their most ambitious gears game and I want to know what makes it so ambitious besides using the skiff to explore the frozen lake/area. I'm sure you could buy gears 4 for cheap now a days. Plus I think it's on Gamepass but I'm not sure. The gameplay is identical to the previous games and I think it's a good first gears game for most people. The story doesn't call back to the previous games as much so you won't be confused about certain events or "who or what is this" scenarios. and I think it does a good enough job of filling the holes and answering the questions the player has as they progress through the story. So you can determine if gears is your cup of tea and maybe decide to check out the previous games.

I can definitely back this advice. I've been playing the Gears games for the first time over the past two years. I started with 4, then played Gears 1 (Ultimate Edition) and 2. I'm excited to play Gears 3 later this Spring. It was a very smooth transition and was no issue in terms of story and characters.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can definitely back this advice. I've been playing the Gears games for the first time over the past two years. I started with 4, then played Gears 1 (Ultimate Edition) and 2. I'm excited to play Gears 3 later this Spring. It was a very smooth transition and was no issue in terms of story and characters.
Keeping the best Gears for last I see.

Maybe you should play Judgement before 3. And then end your run on the highest note possible.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am planning before Gears 5 comes out to play all Gears again and before Halo Infinite comes out all Halo's including Reach. Loved thats possible to do on one console.

Aug 26, 2018

I think the reception will be divided, especially if you look at the Forums, lot of people not happy with Kate being the main protagonist but the Gears hardcore fans are never happy, haha.

I think it was a very good trailer, the voice acting, animations and the setting all added to the gravity of the moment. Doesn't look linear and the environments themselves are quite excellent.

I am personally curious about what they can do graphically. I want to see RTX, Industry leading Graphics, 4k 60 on 1x and PC will be mind-blowing. Can they hit 1080p 60 on 1S?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thought the Gears 5 trailer was pretty good received. Not sure what was bland about it. That first part was great. I remember even the Easy Allies guys were glued to the screen during that part.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
But Gears 3 is the best in the series :/

I liked both Gears 2 and Judgment better than Gears 3. I really didn't enjoy fighting the Lambent, so that's the first few hours out the window. The game does improve a lot later on, but by that point my overall impression has already been ruined. I also thought that they went overboard with the dudebro attitude in Gears 3, way, way overboard. It never bothered me in the rest of the series, but here it did. And then there's one important story moment - you know which one - which was supposed to be emotional, but it just felt stupid and unnecessary to me.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
All this gears talk makes me want to play some gears 4. I just haaaaate downloading that game, isn't it at like what? 120 gb or something? I'm a die hard halo fan first and foremost so I obviously own halo 5 which takes up about 110 or so gb so I got some tough decisions to make today. Honestly with all this ssd talk for next gen I hope they find a way to compact these files more, having 5 games take up my entire 1 tb Xbox one x hard drive is annoying, an no I'm not buying no damn external storage, this ain't 2001, I shouldn't have to buy essentially memory card.

hav7n

Apr 2, 2018
Gears 5 trailer was great, focused on the story and giving hope for better/longer SP experience. GoW4 nailed the multiplayer, now it's time for great single player campaign!

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only played the first game and its remaster, playing through the second. Not a fan of anything so far, really. It's an okay franchise, nothing special thus far. Having said that the trailers for Gears 5 look great, which is one of the main reasons I am pushing through these games even in the parts I'm not enjoying a lot. After seeing the 15th "let's split up in these two conveniently placed tight corridotrs" section I can't help but roll my eyes, so the more open design of 5 sounds refreshing to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.