• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those reactions are laughable. Sometimes it's almost like they're saying 'this is TOO good a deal so it must be bad'.

In reality I imagine a minority of subscribers actually end up adhering to the idea of subscribing for a single month then bailing. And typically this subsection is comprised of people who never would have bought these games in the first place.

I know personally that I started with Gamepass with the intent to subscribe one month at a time, but whether through letting it run longer (either intentionally or unintentionally) I don't think I've played any of MS's new releases for just '$10-$15'. Almost invariably I end up retaining a sub for at least 2-3 months, and sinking additional time and money into supplementary games, or services like XBL.
I used to do that because I don't have an Xbox but now that it's got an official Game Pass version for PC I expect to stick around. You're right about the too good to be true attitude, that's why they also add the fear mongering about the demise of the industry if this takes off.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
What exactly are or were your frustrating experiences with stealth light?

It always depends on the implementation, and some of the frustrating aspects can also affect "proper" stealth games, but it's less likely to happen than with games where stealth is just a simplified optional mechanic. Implementing stealth means opening a whole new can of worms, there are so many things that can go wrong and either annoy the player or break immersion, and expose inner workings of the game.

For instance, you can expect to be less visible in dark places, only to find out that you're not. You can have enemies that are too smart, and once you're exposed, everyone will instantly home in on you, perhaps never losing sight of you again. You can have neverending respawn waves once the alarms have been turned on. You can have enemies that are too dumb, and won't notice dead bodies lying everywhere. Or maybe they will, but you'll be given no option to hide the bodies or dispose of them in any way. Or contextual takedown prompts will be poorly implemented, causing you to fail where you have succeeded before.

Perhaps enemies will be too easily distracted by throwing random objects, repeatedly. Or they will be in pursuit, but instantly lose sight of you when you enter tall grass and crouch. Or you will stealth kill one of them, while others standing mere feet away won't notice. Or you could have supposedly deaf enemies, but once you make a loud noise, they'll home in, not giving you the opportunity to quietly move out of the way. Or zones of detection will be made obvious by the fact that you can make any loud noise as soon as you step out of the zone, and enemies won't react, even though they should.

So, so many things that can go wrong, diminishing the overall experience, and for what? To mark that checkbox, and add more poorly handled complexity, as if more complex necessarily equals better.

I think QB could have actually done some really unique things with stealth, eg stealth time manipulation and stealth power based attacks etc.

I think that Quantum Break could've done a lot more with the puzzle aspects of time manipulation, rather than stealth.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Those reactions are laughable. Sometimes it's almost like they're saying 'this is TOO good a deal so it must be bad'.

In reality I imagine a minority of subscribers actually end up adhering to the idea of subscribing for a single month then bailing. And typically this subsection is comprised of people who never would have bought these games in the first place.

I know personally that I started with Gamepass with the intent to subscribe one month at a time, but whether through letting it run longer (either intentionally or unintentionally) I don't think I've played any of MS's new releases for just '$10-$15'. Almost invariably I end up retaining a sub for at least 2-3 months, and sinking additional time and money into supplementary games, or services like XBL.
Netflix has about 150 Mio subscribers. If Game Pass (+ Ultimate) can only achieve 1/5 of this towards mid/end of next-gen they will make multiple times the money they ever could compared to normal game releases. If they achieve getting to this point they theoretically could sell 0 units of their games while still being considered huge successes, although some people might need longer to see this change in the industry than others. Xbox future is defined by Game Pass. This is where the money is.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Netflix has about 150 Mio subscribers. If Game Pass (+ Ultimate) can only achieve 1/5 of this towards mid/end of next-gen they will make multiple times the money they ever could compared to normal game releases. If they achieve getting to this point they theoretically could sell 0 units of their games while still being considered huge successes, although some people might need longer to see this change in the industry than others. Xbox future is defined by Game Pass. This is where the money is.

30 million subs is a lot. If they can pull it off, phew....

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It will only work with content, marketing, content, marketing, content, marketing and a ton of content. And they know that, which is why they added 9 studios in the last 12 months alone and they doesn't seem to stop there. With so many studios, the original content will come by default over time. The initial investments in such a service are -huge-, just like Netflix in its first years, but if you keep pulling through, it will pay off in the long run.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I think that it is an achievable number, but Microsoft will seriously need to pull a rabbit of their hat and come up with something crazy. Maybe that's Playground's RPG project or the Initiative's project completely blowing up, but I still don't think that's enough. I personally think they would need more, but 30 million subs is a crazy number.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I doubt Microsoft would ever buy Remedy. They're seemingly interested in studios that can release a game every 2-4 years, and while Remedy has said that they've made the necessary changes to rectify their extremely long development cycles - it remains to be seen if that's true. In a decade long partnership, Microsoft was able to get two games and an expansion pack from them.

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
with gamepass games wont financially flop for xbox and as people have said..all the work is on marketing,reach and content for the services to reach its anticipated heights...its interesting

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
None is saying it isn't. I am just saying that Microsoft have such a huge focus on gamepass, that they should be marketing it with games like gears. It only makes sense and i dont understand why people argue this. Microsoft wants gamepass to grow.

It's a little early to be marketing Gears 5. I'm sure it will come.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
It will only work with content, marketing, content, marketing, content, marketing and a ton of content. And they know that, which is why they added 9 studios in the last 12 months alone and they doesn't seem to stop there. With so many studios, the original content will come by default over time. The initial investments in such a service are -huge-, just like Netflix in its first years, but if you keep pulling through, it will pay off in the long run.

Yep, pretty much this..

isaaccs

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Speaking of marketing for Gears 5, do you all think we'll get a trailer of this type? I love this one from Gears of War 4.
Please don't tell me the Billie Eilish one is the equivalent.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I mean, the game is ten weeks away. If you're not marketing it now, I'm not sure when you're going to.

They did a bunch of marketing at E3. They've already showed their plan for additional marketing for enthusiasts throughout the summer.

But mainstream media? Within 30 days (or less, probably 2 weeks). The general public doesn't have the attention span for marketing 10 weeks in advance.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Been saying this for long. They are building an incredible studio portfolio and striking third party deals everywhere, both triple-A and the ID@Xbox stuff. They can add a dozen or more new games every month, each month containing at least one heavy hitter that you'd otherwise find for 35 Euros at least, along with every couple months a huge Xbox Original game: be that Gears, Halo, Forza, Perfect Dark, Fable or a new IP altogether. If enough gamers are subscribed each month (in that sense, having 10 people sub for 1 month each is not much different from 1 person subbing for 10 months), they risk nothing with game releases because their costs are more than covered by the subs - and they still sell their games digitally and through retail, not to mention the MTXs and DLCS.

Game Pass is here to stay, and it's clear why it's a profitable model: that is if they manage to have the numbers, of course, and we don't know what those are. Don't quote me on this but between the rumblings I've been getting from devs and press, I get the impression that the recent deals, the E3 effect and such may have pushed Game Pass subs over the 10m milestone, but nobody at Microsoft is gonna give you those numbers even under torture.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It always depends on the implementation, and some of the frustrating aspects can also affect "proper" stealth games, but it's less likely to happen than with games where stealth is just a simplified optional mechanic. Implementing stealth means opening a whole new can of worms, there are so many things that can go wrong and either annoy the player or break immersion, and expose inner workings of the game.

For instance, you can expect to be less visible in dark places, only to find out that you're not. You can have enemies that are too smart, and once you're exposed, everyone will instantly home in on you, perhaps never losing sight of you again. You can have neverending respawn waves once the alarms have been turned on. You can have enemies that are too dumb, and won't notice dead bodies lying everywhere. Or maybe they will, but you'll be given no option to hide the bodies or dispose of them in any way. Or contextual takedown prompts will be poorly implemented, causing you to fail where you have succeeded before.

Perhaps enemies will be too easily distracted by throwing random objects, repeatedly. Or they will be in pursuit, but instantly lose sight of you when you enter tall grass and crouch. Or you will stealth kill one of them, while others standing mere feet away won't notice. Or you could have supposedly deaf enemies, but once you make a loud noise, they'll home in, not giving you the opportunity to quietly move out of the way. Or zones of detection will be made obvious by the fact that you can make any loud noise as soon as you step out of the zone, and enemies won't react, even though they should.

So, so many things that can go wrong, diminishing the overall experience, and for what? To mark that checkbox, and add more poorly handled complexity, as if more complex necessarily equals better.

I think that Quantum Break could've done a lot more with the puzzle aspects of time manipulation, rather than stealth.

I don't know, to me you just listed a bunch of different ways you can approach stealth in terms of design, not all problematic issues in and of themselves. It's a balancing act at the end of the day, and utmost realism of the kind you're alluding to with some of your points would likely not be fun anyway.

Some of the same AI response, awareness, repetitious pathfinding conundrums etc exist in Quantum Break (and other TPS) with gunplay too, and then there's issues around cover systems, obstacle detection and more. By your logic they ought to do away with the gunplay altogether because of these minor inconveniences or design decisions? Much like with stealth lite, the reality is its just a case of adjusting to said mechanics, and for many there will still be plenty of fun and diversity to be had.

Also, rarely have I personally ever had issues with stealth lite in most tentpole titles, in fact, just like gunplay, melee and any other game mechanic (which rarely follow lifelike physics or parameters), once you actually learn the mechanics or systems within a game, it's not difficult to work around said parameters.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

Yep. Thats why i've been talking they need to pump up that marketing to their games. That is best way to market gamepass. Hell marketing gears 5 being on gamepass now can already bring people to service.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
They did a bunch of marketing at E3. They've already showed their plan for additional marketing for enthusiasts throughout the summer.

But mainstream media? Within 30 days (or less, probably 2 weeks). The general public doesn't have the attention span for marketing 10 weeks in advance.
Yea pretty much. 10 weeks out is way too early to start heavily marketing. Consistently dropping content through sites like IGN before they start advertising harder closer to release is a smart way to keep people engaged.

Oct 19, 2018
Speaking of marketing for Gears 5, do you all think we'll get a trailer of this type? I love this one from Gears of War 4.
Please don't tell me the Billie Eilish one is the equivalent.

It's a Gears staple so I assume so; I am kind of worried the Kait trailer might be their spin on it though. As a whole, Epic's trailers were way better than what we've seen from The Coalition so far; I can't recall a bad trailer for the original trilogy.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yep. Thats why i've been talking they need to pump up that marketing to their games. That is best way to market gamepass. Hell marketing gears 5 being on gamepass now can already bring people to service.
Gears 5 launches near the start of the NFL season and you can bet every commercial break during them games will be gamepass and Gears

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 campaign marketing is a wild card.
We don't know the reason why they are hiding it.
-Maybe its the best Gears campaign to date, so they want it to take the world by surprise, everyone will play the campaign at the same day in Sept 6 (journslists, players, hardcore Gears fans, Phil Spencer) they wanna do this so the 10s and 9s will flow in Metacritic, Twitch and Steam charts will explode... Everything in the same day, 400 million revenue in first weekend, Gears franchise crosses the 2 billion revenue mark.

-Campaign Is not good, or changes too much of the Gears formula and they fear the backslash.

-They fear the loud minority that is mad about Kait being the lead and leaving Marcus and JD in the shadows (a bit late for that imo)

Pick one of them, i'm optimistic so i go with the first option.

i add one more option, gears 5 still very much is a gears game and, at least on the surface, looks like more of the same (something 4 was criticized for)

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

20by2020

It's going to happen folks.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
30 mln active Game Pass subscriptions? I can see that if Microsoft will keep the paca and quality of updating the service with new games. Like in the last 6 months we got Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Just Cause 4 and Metro: Exodus just 2 or 3 months after they were released. And those are AAA quality titles, even more, high profile ones.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Some of the same AI response, awareness, repetitious pathfinding conundrums etc exist in Quantum Break (and other TPS) with gunplay too, and then there's issues around cover systems, obstacle detection and more. By your logic they ought to do away with the gunplay altogether because of these minor inconveniences or design decisions?

Yes, even without stealth, there are already numerous plates to juggle, and thus by my logic, introducing more complexity when there's no need for it is not a way to go. Again, I never once felt that more stealth than what was already in the game would've improved Quantum Break in any meaningful capacity, considering what its core design principles were.

Games having focus is a good thing. Layering various popular gameplay elements on top of one another just to have them around, i.e. "to add more options" (while perhaps not developing them sufficiently) ultimately results in a bunch of different games that all feel kind of the same to play.

Also, rarely have I personally ever had issues with stealth lite in most tentpole titles, in fact, just like gunplay, melee and any other game mechanic (which rarely follow lifelike physics or parameters), once you actually learn the mechanics or systems within a game, it's not difficult to work around said parameters.

I often find games where I feel like certain elements - crafting is another popular one in recent times - feel grafted on with not enough thought given to their inclusion. They just feel off. But hey, it's perfectly cool if you don't.

Oct 26, 2018
And now we are coming back to the point why this games marketing has been bad and people shouldn't just say "it's on gamepass, that is enough". Gamepass doesn't only exist to help games. Gamepass needs good games to grow and you grow gamepass by marketing it with these games.
I've been talking about how people think with gamepass, games don't need good marketing for a while now, but my words get brushed of " nah, it'll still get played by everyone it doesn't matter". But what about the people who don't use gamepass, or won't use it, like the steam community, it STILL needs to be marketed to the people who prefer to buy their games.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a nice thing to see those FF remasters to come to the platform last year which I saw as a sign that SqEnix will increase support of the platform. But looks like it was a one time thing because almost every game they've shown at E3 is not coming to Xbox. Basically around 10 or maybe 20% of their games at best are coming to Xbox. Considering how they support PC, PS4 and Switch it really seems that they are abandoning Xbox almost completely except a few games.

I'd certainly argue that not enough time has passed to make that call. Square and Xbox didn't have the best relationship at the start of this gen, but those FF ports are proof that it's building. It could very well be the case that Square just didn't want to expand the scope of their projects prior to launch.

We saw this with a number of Switch ports that came after the fact. People freaked out about game X skipping the platform at initial launch, only for it to be ported 6 months to a year later.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Hmmm maybe not. Days Gone became a hugeeeeee seller for Sony. It is a successful new IP. We will def see a sequel down the line.

Marketing helps A lot!
You also have to take into account that Days Gone was a brand new IP that Sony was trying to establish, it needed that heavy marketing. Anyways, Gears 5 is being marketed and will continue to be marketed.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Gears 5 launches near the start of the NFL season and you can bet every commercial break during them games will be gamepass and Gears

I hope they do it! Make it big!

30 mln active Game Pass subscriptions? I can see that if Microsoft will keep the paca and quality of updating the service with new games. Like in the last 6 months we got Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Just Cause 4 and Metro: Exodus just 2 or 3 months after they were released. And those are AAA quality titles, even more, high profile ones.

Shadow and Just Cause flopped on sales. Exodus sold well. Didn't they have marketin deals etc with Microsoft? Maybe that helped to get on gamepass so early.

But i can def see more 3rd party titles getting on gamepass if they flop on sales. And games like metro where Microsoft just pays to them.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I also think of this when considering GAMEPASS

These studios are not tied to ensure they meet "sales" expectations and sell "millions" in order to be green for some type of metric or goal. Or labeled as success in Xbox anymore. Sure, it matters that they sell copies, but i beleive the main thing they are being measured by is to ensure they are making games to keep subscribers in GAMEPASS. That is their priority now. To build this subscription service and BUILD onto this. Xcloud is something you see directly related to the existence of Gamepass. i dont think they are even done with announcing what they have planned next as services related to the xbox platform. I always repeat this, but they mentioned 5G for a reason. This seems like another moment in time they will announce a new service or capability with their services.

I can already imagine on the stage of a samsung galaxy presser and have a note about being able to play Xbox Games on your mobile device if you are subscribed to gamepass ultimate. or something of that sort.

well that is what i get from all of the vibes i see in every new Xbox Game Studio mention/comment/tweet/article/interview. It feels like a different vs about only meeting numbers when a game launches. I'm not saying that isn't important but i recognize a change and this change is welcoming to me.

To think, if we had this type of culture when we had Jade Empire, Perfect Dark, Kameo, Conker, Brute Force, Mech Assault and etc etc, the list can go one and one.. we probably would still have some newer versions of them in the pipeline. Maybe some would have turned into GAAS, maybe some into episodic, maybe just chapters being released by small passionate teams who want to keep that universe alive.

am i overthinking this? probably, but its because i have hope.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
And a Gears 5 ad just showed up in my Facebook feed with the Terminator Dark Fate tie in.

"The wait is almost terminated. Play Gears 5 at launch to get the Terminator Dark Fate character pack with Xbox Game Pass or your pre-order."

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
I hope they do it! Make it big!
]
Shadow and Just Cause flopped on sales. Exodus sold well. Didn't they have marketin deals etc with Microsoft? Maybe that helped to get on gamepass so early.

But i can def see more 3rd party titles getting on gamepass if they flop on sales. And games like metro where Microsoft just pays to them.

I don't think if a game isn't selling
well they call up Microsoft and say hey put me on gamepass. I think that deal is made with the marketing rights are negociated. I believe Microsoft marketed shadow, exoudus, just cause, even Monster Hunter I think. What else did they market it fallout 76?

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you but they better hurry. At least give me 2 more medium or 1 big studio by the end of 2019

Pretty sure we'll get 1 or 2 announcement s at X019. The mandate is simple really they need a really big catalogue of high quality developers to entice gamers.

If anything their metrics for sales as opposed to what they need now are more difficult to achieve, they need critical darlings in that service.

So it begins. I hope these dip into a Rare IP at some point, they'd make an amazing Conker game imo.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

Man I love Double-Fine and Tim's humour. Such a charming studio. Going to be a delight getting to see Tim doing the press circuit, and getting up on the Xbox stage in the coming years. His little Bit-piece with Booty at E3 this year was hilarious
So it begins. I hope these dip into a Rare IP at some point, they'd make an amazing Conker game imo.
Hadn't even thought of this, but Double-Fine would fit Conker like a glove. I'm going to be disappointed if this doesn't have now. Psychonauts 2 even has a lot of mechanical and stylistic overlap with Conker, that I'm sure many of the takeaways in developing Psychonauts 2 could carry forward into a Conker sequel.

Last edited:

Deleted member 38088

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm reading through the Kotaku story about crunch at Treyarch which reminded me of several job postings for a Studios Quality team at MS. I can only find one job posting right now, but I have seen multiple postings, but i guess they expired. QA job posting

Our Studios Quality team in Xbox Game Studios is looking for Quality Analysts who want to make a big impact on the quality of our next generation games like Halo, Forza, Minecraft and Sea of Thieves among many others. As a Quality Analyst you'll work directly with producers, developers, designers, content creators and others to create incredible entertainment experiences.

I'm hoping that with a centralized team that handles QA for all studios, then the team is more stable and they can be treated well since they can do testing for all of Xbox Game Studios and aren't just contractors for a particular game, though maybe I'm reaching.

Also there's a job posting dated June 15th for an Outsource Manager for The Initiative. Maybe they can keep a smaller number of core people and outsource the main work elsewhere. Outsource Manager job posting

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, even without stealth, there are already numerous plates to juggle, and thus by my logic, introducing more complexity when there's no need for it is not a way to go. Again, I never once felt that more stealth than what was already in the game would've improved Quantum Break in any meaningful capacity, considering what its core design principles were.

Games having focus is a good thing. Layering various popular gameplay elements on top of one another just to have them around, i.e. "to add more options" (while perhaps not developing them sufficiently) ultimately results in a bunch of different games that all feel kind of the same to play.

I often find games where I feel like certain elements - crafting is another popular one in recent times - feel grafted on with not enough thought given to their inclusion. They just feel off. But hey, it's perfectly cool if you don't.

The need, or should I say, reason for it, is that countless people enjoy it, and appreciate the fact that it adds a different gameplay and tactical layer, that not only gives players more approach options, but something to reduce the monotony of what can sometimes feel like too much emphasis on the shooting side of things.

I appreciate you personally may not prefer it, but the poster in question seemed to think he would, and countless others very well might. Hell, you talk about having focus, but Quantum Break didn't exactly light the world on fire in terms of gamer or critical reception, so clearly there's a lot it could have improved and that it's focus missed the mark on. And who knows, maybe more mechincal options or tools might have helped?

Bear in mind, it could have still done a unique twist on stealth, eg time warp stealth similar to Titanfall 2 or something, where you could perhaps sneak around seemingly impossible scenarios by going back to a different time where no enemies were present, or a different set of enemies were present, and then warping back in to present time once you had the jump of an enemy, or something akin to that. There's so much that could be done with that sort of thing that I feel could have given the game more of an exciting and diverse edge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.