• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You think Microsoft will work out the Minecraft story mode issues? Even though it's been out it did well and is kinda the perfect thing to put on gamepass.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the rollout for public testing of xCloud will be like. I wonder if it will be based on the tiers in the Preview Program with Alpha Skip Ahead users getting the first wave and then filling it out to the rest of the tiers from there.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Stoic Studio acquisition confirmed /s (I'd actually love this to be true though)
I would be interested in Blue Manchu (Void Bastards) personally. Now, I may be remembering this wrong, but wasnt Blue Manchu talked about at one point in time by somebody? Probably remembering this completely wrong, as I didnt know much about Blue Manchu until i heard about Void Bastards.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
If Microsoft did purchase one of the Game Pass developers, it's very unlikely that they'd put the game on Game Pass two weeks before E3 and not save it to announce at the show itself.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been messing with Forza Street these days. It feels like a mobile game, very simplicistic but there is something somewhat fascinating about it since you really gotta strategize about your speed even though you don't actually drive. It's really not that bad. What sucks is how damn grindy it is, with all kinds of currencies, cards, upgrades, grinds, lootboxes, timers, limited content, daily bonuses and all the predatory player engagement shit you can think of - it's all there, one way or another. Plus given you can make the game automatically race the events you clearly would win because you have a much better car, it becomes a sort of idle game at times, which makes it ideal when watching TV or something. I don't think I'll go anywhere near finishing it because the campaign is long and grindy as shit, but I'll probably collect the relatively easy side of the achievements.

Jun 22, 2018
I can't wait to see what the overhauled store front looks like on PC. They're really going to need to go all out if they're going to impress people and bring some credibility to Xbox on PC. I really hope they succeed.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Been messing with Forza Street these days. It feels like a mobile game, very simplicistic but there is something somewhat fascinating about it since you really gotta strategize about your speed even though you don't actually drive. It's really not that bad. What sucks is how damn grindy it is, with all kinds of currencies, cards, upgrades, grinds, lootboxes, timers, limited content, daily bonuses and all the predatory player engagement shit you can think of - it's all there, one way or another. Plus given you can make the game automatically race the events you clearly would win because you have a much better car, it becomes a sort of idle game at times, which makes it ideal when watching TV or something. I don't think I'll go anywhere near finishing it because the campaign is long and grindy as shit, but I'll probably collect the relatively easy side of the achievements.
The whole rollout of the game has been bizarre to me. The game is clearly best suited for mobile, but it was announced and released only for W10 as Miami Street and then re-announced as Forza Street, but again only for W10. Are they going to re-re-announce it once it finally releases for mobile? I'm still really interested in playing it when it finally comes out on mobile.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I can't wait to see what the overhauled store front looks like on PC. They're really going to need to go all out if they're going to impress people and bring some credibility to Xbox on PC. I really hope they succeed.

1) get rid of UWP (read- allow mods)
2) bring 360 emulation on PC and give us access to Xbox' BC catalogue.
3) streamline the store + downloader (allow download throttling, allow users to choose install directories)

Basically, make the process as hands-off as possible, and bring backwards compatible Xbox titles on PC (could be part of GamePass). Doesn't take much.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
If Microsoft did purchase one of the Game Pass developers, it's very unlikely that they'd put the game on Game Pass two weeks before E3 and not save it to announce at the show itself.

Didn't they announce Hellblade coming to Xbox like a month before the E3 where they announced they'd acquired Ninja Theory? I don't think they're that fussed over connecting acquisitions to old games releasing on their platforms, game pass is obviously not exactly the same, but still.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they announce Hellblade coming to Xbox like a month before the E3 where they announced they'd acquired Ninja Theory? I don't think they're that fussed over connecting acquisitions to old games releasing on their platforms, game pass is obviously not exactly the same, but still.
Hellblade came to gamepass later. Hellblade came to Xbox just before E3.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Hellblade came to gamepass later. Hellblade came to Xbox just before E3.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, Hellblade was announced as coming to Xbox kind of out of nowhere, unless I missed a bunch of stuff at the time which is possible, with very little fanfare, and then a month later they announced the acquisition of Ninja Theory.

I'm just saying why wouldn't they do the same thing with game pass. Bring the games to the service whenever they get there, because I don't think a couple of indie games are that big of a bomb to drop, they just keep momentum going. There's no reason to save announcing something that minor for E3, but there's every reason to save announcing an acquisition.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
A couple of weeks back my copy of RE Revelations 2 got updated to become BHR2 on the My Games & Apps list - which is a pain as it's no longer beside all the other RE games on my list? Did that happen to anyone else? It's been a while and they haven't fixed it.

Also, I noticed that a few of the GWG games have dropped off my Ready to Install list (Project Cars, SMITE, Tales from the Borderlands). I claim the GWG games every month but don't keep them installed in general, just install and uninstall was and when I like to play them. I noticed that the onnly affected titles are bundles rather than standalone games (e.g. Tales from the Borderlands is a bundle of 5 episodes, Project Cars was a bundle featuring the game and some dlc, etc.). I hope they fix it, it's a shame to see sloppy work in such a way. And it's been going on for months...

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god Microsoft is going to acquire Konami.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Konami doesn't really make games anymore. They are all about mobile and pachinko. I could see them selling their gaming related assets to someone like Microsoft or Sony, etc.

While I don't think it would happen, because the licenses are clearly valuable enough and Metal Gear survive shows they're not willing to can their games completely, imagine if Konami sold its gaming business and IP to Sony, and then Sony acquired Kojima productions. Boom

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
While I don't think it would happen, because the licenses are clearly valuable enough and Metal Gear survive shows they're not willing to can their games completely, imagine if Konami sold its gaming business and IP to Sony, and then Sony acquired Kojima productions. Boom

I agree it's not likely but, the IP is valuable at the moment. As time goes on the assets are worth less and less. So if they are wanting to get out of the gaming side. The near term would be the best return financially. The fox engine, metal gear, etc still have value. A metal gear spinoff in the same world with different people could be interesting.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I agree it's not likely but, the IP is valuable at the moment. As time goes on the assets are worth less and less. So if they are wanting to get out of the gaming side. The near term would be the best return financially. The fox engine, metal gear, etc still have value. A metal gear spinoff in the same world with different people could be interesting.

I know they moved to kind of get out of the west not too long ago, Metal Gear Survive seemed like a last ditch "if it works we'll try that" move, but things have changed since then. With the way gaming is growing and streaming is becoming a reality, I'd be really surprised if they dumped it and went all Pachinko and gambling.

I do think they'll probably refocus some, maybe they'll move towards GaaS, or maybe they'll move towards more third party development of their IPs, try to reboot or soft reboot some franchises.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) get rid of UWP (read- allow mods)
2) bring 360 emulation on PC and give us access to Xbox' BC catalogue.
3) streamline the store + downloader (allow download throttling, allow users to choose install directories)

Basically, make the process as hands-off as possible, and bring backwards compatible Xbox titles on PC (could be part of GamePass). Doesn't take much.
PC and other devices are likely to get access to 360 emulation and Xbox BC catalogue through xCloud.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Konami doesn't really make games anymore. They are all about mobile and pachinko. I could see them selling their gaming related assets to someone like Microsoft or Sony, etc.
This is the move that is most interesting to me. We've all noticed that Game Stack is missing an engine. Buy the Fox Engine, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Castlevania, Bomberman, and the rest of their IP, then give those projects to newly acquired and existing XGS studios. Use the existing developers (what's left of them) to make games in Japan.

Not sure what Microsoft's plan with Compulsion is? Now they're making a Silent Hill game.

Killer Instinct 2 is launching with Scarlett? First guest character is Simon Belmont.

Need an interesting new XGSGP game? Give a smaller studio the Contra, Frogger, Gradius, or Bomberman franchise and see what they can do.

Sony has MLB: The Show? Microsoft has Power Pros.

Ninja Theory is interested in another project like Hellblade? Castlevania. Could you imagine a dark, gritty, AAA, 3D Castlevania game made by a studio like Ninja Theory? They could do all sorts of interesting stuff with music, characters, and concepts from the original games.

Metal Gear would be a tough one, but I think the best move would be start a new studio from the ground up and load it up with Metal Gear fans and let them go nuts. Different game types, different characters, different timelines, all anchored by the Fox Engine.

I don't know what Microsoft would do with PES. They could let Konami keep it or take it and let PES Productions operate like normal. FIFA is definitely vulnerable right now, in my opinion and with a solid investment, it could become a cash cow. I'm just not sure if Microsoft would want to make that investment.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear isnt Metal Gear without Kojima

I dont think Microsoft needs to buy IP, unless its maybe Splinter Cell. They can build up their own.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Look at the right at the friends list. Someone is playing Forza Horizon 4 - Fujimo Kaido. Wich was a 10 mile track in Forza Motorsport 1,3 and 4 based on real mountains in Japan.
From the latest xbox news wire post about the new game bar.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/05/22/introducing-the-new-xbox-game-bar/

Broadcast-THREE.png

https://forza.fandom.com/wiki/Fujimi_Kaido

Last edited:

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Interesting. Look at the right at the friends list. Someone is playing Forza Horizon 4 - Fujimo Kaido. Wich was a 10 mile track in Forza Motorsport 1,3 and 4 based on real mountains in Japan.

Broadcast-THREE.png

https://forza.fandom.com/wiki/Fujimi_Kaido
Nice find! Fujimo Kaido was a track in Forza Motorsport 3, I believe. I wonder if they're adding a bunch of racing maps? It'd be really tough to make an open-world area to explore based on a mountain. The scale of the mountain would make it impossible unless they worked some real magic.

Apr 23, 2018
Indie focused msgp offshoot sounds like a great idea. Really think the best thing you can do for your services like gamepass and consumers perception of value is sort the premium indie talent, help develop and fund that talent and help them make their vision reality and then let those top tier indie devs flourish on your ecosystem. It's goodwill for the brand and being directly associated with these "indie darlings" gives xbox a more consumer friendly appearance to gamers.

Something like the cuphead deal with Mdhr helped xbox gain alot of good will during a low period for the xbox brand and help the narrative more than people give credit for.

So yes. Investing in strong indie talent should be part of the xbox services strategy going forward.
I absolutely agree with this idea. There are dozens of indie games released, I would say weekly. But games such as Ashen, Cuphead, Tunic, Ooblets, or even Sable rarely come out so I think Microsoft should help fund these indie studios. Set up a Indie label or brand where those studios get the resources and support they need.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Metal Gear isnt Metal Gear without Kojima

I dont think Microsoft needs to buy IP, unless its maybe Splinter Cell. They can build up their own.
I agree that Microsoft doesn't need to, but in my opinion, it would provide them with a big enough boost to make it worth the cost. Castlevania, Bomberman, Contra, Frogger, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear are legacy franchises that have a ton of value. I agree that Kojima is a big part of the Metal Gear franchise, but the franchise will go on with or without him. Also, Microsoft could do things like remake the original games. It just provides them with a nice slice of pre-Xbox gaming history that they don't currently have.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If Xbox doesn't pick up studios in Asia soon, I hope they at least license the hardware off to a big partner there.

Imagine Bandai Namco in the console market again.

Better than the graveyard of Konami.

Status
Not open for further replies.