• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If i am honest. MS should stop with trying to make Xbox work in Japan. It will never happen. Getting a studio wont fix it also.
Instead make sure Japan devs release games on Xbox. Like Spencer said himself many times.

Imo having EU devs is alot more important now to get.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Why does everyone think acquiring SEGA and calling the Xbox Dreamcast in Japan will automatically fix the problem? Pardon my French, and that's fucking stupid.

Like, there's playing off Nostalgia and then there's rebranding your sedan as a jeep because people in Australia don't want to buy it.

This is my favorite game.

I'm always gonna say Mistwalker, because I'd like to see them grow in to a big full fat studio and give Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon a proper franchise treatment.

Grounding Inc, Silicon Studio, and Grasshopper Manufacture or Access Games could also happen and be pretty awesome. I'm not gonna say the P word because I don't wanna start any fights.

I have to agree, I think it would be in everyone's interest if they simply grew a medium/small studio and worked from that points onwards. Itagaki is a great choice.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am honest. MS should stop with trying to make Xbox work in Japan. It will never happen. Getting a studio wont fix it also.
Instead make sure Japan devs release games on Xbox. Like Spencer said himself many times.

I couldn't agree more. I'd be far more interested in having a game like FFXIV on Xbox than I would exclusive JPN titles.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
D_BhtigWsAAk_dy.jpg

whoa!

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
At least if a company goes with gamepass/Ms, they are guaranteed that players will play their game. (The amount of.players is not necessary and not something I want to argue about)

Could be less stress, idk.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Didnt realized it indeed. Looks like Gears 5 takes alot of inspiration from Gears 2. We go also back to some places from Gears 2.

Maybe its the same like Halo Infinite where that game seems to take alot of inspiration from Halo CE.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Does anyone have a list of Japanese Indie devs that have used Kickstarter, like ArtPlay and comcept?

Ratazk

Oct 27, 2017
If i am honest. MS should stop with trying to make Xbox work in Japan. It will never happen. Getting a studio wont fix it also.

While I'm (perhaps foolishly) optimistic that MS can gain some traction in Japan next gen (through the potential of GamePass and xCloud), I would be perfectly content knowing Xbox will get the same non-first party Japanese games Playstation gets.

I know we are almost there in many aspects, but there are some glaring omissions. Not getting the Ni No Kuni remaster was a punch in the gut. I would love to have FFXIV on Xbox consoles, but after years of speculating, I don't expect it anymore. The Yakuza series, while not my cup of tea, would be a great addition. The Tokyo RPG Factory offerings would be great additions to GamePass. I know Dragon Quest is a pipe dream, but it would fill a major hole in the Xbox catalog.

I believe that with enough time and resources, Xbox could be synonymous with WRPGs next gen due to their acquisitions. If higher ups focus on making sure Japanese studios don't ignore their console, Xbox could be be poised to become a premier place to play RPGs of all styles (WRPG, CRPG, ARPG, JRPG).

A few years ago, I would have laughed at the notion. But today, I can see that path.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Disagree on the first part. The goal of a Japanese studio isn't to sell more consoles in Japan, but to add diversity to their portfolio. Japan is huge. IMHO they should do in Japan what they did with The Initiative. Create a big studio and go for the best of the best people in Japan. Build a bridge, connection, foundation. So much potential.

Agree on the europe thing.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
We have some clue that the study may be From? Platinum would be very obvious.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
By the way, bdsams recently spoke of a company outside the United States, maybe this has a relationship with what is being discussed. What I do not know is why he does not say study.

Oct 27, 2017
T

its not about working in japan. That's just lip service. It's more about offering a diverse catalogue for your other territories. Gamepass is going to need JrPg's and quirky foreign games just as a value driver.. stuff like D4 is the perfect kind of weird Japanese game that can do well and find an audience on GO. That's not going to massively sell boxes anywhere let alone japan. But it adds value

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
T

its not about working in japan. That's just lip service. It's more about offering a diverse catalogue for your other territories. Gamepass is going to need JrPg's and quirky foreign games just as a value driver.. stuff like D4 is the perfect kind of weird Japanese game that can do well and find an audience on GO. That's not going to massively sell boxes anywhere let alone japan. But it adds value
Disagree on the first part. The goal of a Japanese studio isn't to sell more consoles in Japan, but to add diversity to their portfolio. Japan is huge. IMHO they should do in Japan what they did with The Initiative. Create a big studio and go for the best of the best people in Japan. Build a bridge, connection, foundation. So much potential.

Agree on the europe thing.

Check what was talked about above that. About the Dreamcast and Sega stuff. That was my response to. Like Phil i agree that Xbox should look at how they can help Japanese dev to bring games to Xbox instead of how can they help to sell Xbox's in Japan. First part is that. And looks like they are doing that. And like i said about the studio's. Imo its more important to get EU devs under your wings. And thats whats lacking also.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Check what was talked about above that. About the Dreamcast and Sega stuff. That was my response to. Like Phil i agree that Xbox should look at how they can help Japanese dev to bring games to Xbox instead of how can they help to sell Xbox's in Japan. First part is that. And looks like they are doing that. And like i said about the studio's. Imo its more important to get EU devs under your wings. And thats whats lacking also.

I fully agree EU is an untapped market for Xbox and potentially larger than the Japanese market. However, I do think there a segment of gamers who want to see games with that Japanese flare on Xbox. If you are trying to hit demographics for game pass. Getting some Japanese Studios can help reach those people. Even if you never sell another xbox console in Japan.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
While I'm (perhaps foolishly) optimistic that MS can gain some traction in Japan next gen (through the potential of GamePass and xCloud), I would be perfectly content knowing Xbox will get the same non-first party Japanese games Playstation gets.

I know we are almost there in many aspects, but there are some glaring omissions.

We're nowhere near there. Better, compared to the situation a couple of years ago, yes, but still nowhere near.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

Paul Collins, Lead Designer, Rare:
I still can't believe they're back! In my whole time of working at Rare, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I'd get the chance to help create the next instalment in the Battletoads franchise.

Aj Grand-Scrutton, CEO, Dlala:
I'm not really sure how to put last week into words, but I'll give it a go. E3 was incredible. Seeing the trailer shown at the briefing was one of the highlights of my career, which was only surpassed by getting hands-on with the game for the first time.
As a team we were equal parts excited and nervous to have people playing the game. I had absolute faith that we had created something awesome, and was beyond proud of what we have achieved. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that you never know how the public are going to take to it. We'd flown over to LA so that we could be on the booth, watching people playing the game and seeing their responses. I'm so glad we went, as the level of excitement that people showed for the game has really pumped up an already pumped-up team.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
We're nowhere near there. Better, compared to the situation a couple of years ago, yes, but still nowhere near.

I wonder if Gamepass could change the narrative. Japanese games would still sell worse on Xbox in the West, but devs can also make money off Gamepass plays etc to augument the retail sales.
MS can sweeten the port by putting forward some cash for the porting.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Gamepass could change the narrative. Japanese games would still sell worse on Xbox in the West, but devs can also make money off Gamepass plays etc to augument the retail sales.
MS can sweeten the port by putting forward some cash for the porting.
I believe Phil has said that as as well as xCloud being added incentive for Japanese developers to reach a lot of people.

Deleted member 53021

Banned
Feb 3, 2019
am i the only one who thinks any japanese studio can bring more than JRPGs?...i mean japanese developers can do more than just that...it will be interesting to see what happens at X019

Deleted member 53021

Banned
Feb 3, 2019
LOL i like how when klobrille throws one of the speculative bombs he descends into silent mode...probably he is somewhere laughing at the discussions in here and saying..."look at the bastard speculate ,yeah but that guy got it right"

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
My thoughts about Japan / Asian market

If MS can knock it out the park with their Xbox service on any the Mobile devices used in Asian markets, then they can become successful.

Xbox services such as Xcloud and Gamepass being available on their smartphones or other.

I don't even believe that they need a studio to gain anything other than talent to make creative games. I don't look at them aquiring a Japan studo as a means to gain some type of mindshare vs competition. It's bigger than that and they, in my opinion, need to get their Xbox services on point first. The base of everything that can grow from it.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Get this console war fanboy shit out of here. The fuck? This is why threads go into shit all over era m because of this shit.

LMAO

You do understand that A) it's not console fanboy stuff and B) It gives MS back a small advantage that was taken away. It's not about the console fanboy "sh!t" as you put it! It's about keeping the small advantages "in games" that MS has now. I care not if Sony buys a studio. I do care that MS is strong enough to support it's platform(s) for many years to come. MS has been lacking in exclusives for years. To loose Remedy takes yet another exclusive away from MS's platform(s).

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
You do understand that A) it's not console fanboy stuff and B) It gives MS back a small advantage that was taken away. It's not about the console fanboy "sh!t" as you put it, it's about keeping the small advantages "in games" that MS has now. I care not if Sony buys a studio. I do care that MS is strong enough to support it's platform for many years to come. MS has been lacking in exclusives for years. To loose Remedy takes yet another exclusive away from MS's platform(s).
What company would bring the most salt if bought.

It's a fanboy console war chest beating question.
That type of thought process is vomit. Thanks for letting me know how much you want to defend that type of conversation about a pissing contest, adding you to my list now. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.