• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
10 hours of playtime and I got all the achievements for Timespinner. Gamepass will never not be amazing.

Apr 6, 2018
i know but metacritic Still important for games to spread and take a positive reputation...

it's my favorite game and i want it to review well too
Don't worries it will review well because what we see is good, maybe the press will complain because it has no rpg lite mechanics or so on
With 3 years time of development it's hard to make a refresh like GOW.
dumb comparison. God of war was never the gameplay peak of its genre, compared to dmc it looks rough and childish
Plus having a three players coop and a big pvp force to think more carefully to each part of the gameplay and the game design because it should work as smoothly online as sp.
So a god of war kind of reboot was never planned.
EVen the plot says so: god of war tried to be a new beginning with a few ties to the og saga, gears 5 has at least two old locations
God, TC cant help themselves, Gears 5 marketing keeps sucking, even in areas where they were the masters.
This is Gears 4 Versus Beta trailer:

This is Gears 5 Versus "Tech Test" teaser:

Less than 15 seconds?
what kind of shit is that? hope they release a full version, backed by MS Ads power, Gears 5 marketing needs to reach high ASAP

this is a preview trailer not a full one. Yet two new maps spotted
RMzof6X.gif

Kue2Tdc.gif

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I can't believe No One in this thread spotted this:

JD doesnt have a gun in his hands (or His back) at the very end of the cutscene (when the transition to gameplay starts)
What does this mean?
Well, big things
Maybe Gears 5 will have free walk in New Ephyra, where you wont need a gun glued to your hands, again, think about the Citadel from Mass Effect, so, Morgoth Bauglir was right with his info (again)

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't get why people act like as if TV ads are important in 2019. There are much more important areas to set up ads, social media, gaming sites, YouTube ads etc.

It's not like the Gears franchise is targeted at 12 years old Jimmy who just plays Fortnite. Gears 5 is already getting some more prominent, "mainstream" stuff by partnering with Rockstar energy drinks.They shouldn't waste their budget on TV ad slots but on more effective stuff like just exampled. Gears is targeted at the core gaming group and that's fine.

All that said ... The best marketing campaign XGS games get is Game Pass and Steam - and the early snowball effect the initial wave of players this will result in on Twitch, Youtube etc.

People forget about this fast, but after FH4, Gears 5 is only the second "really big known-IP" XGS game launching into Game Pass. And I don't need to remind you about the insane numbers FH4 is doing.

Last edited:

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
MS shouldn't buy publishers. MS needs creative talent, not big companies with lots of redundant staff.

With the Netflix model of Games Pass MS need I.P. and content. The have studios already for the big first party titles like The Coalition, 343 and the Initiative.

Look at where Netflix are now, they are looking at losing a huge amount of titles ( some of the most popular like Friends & The office ) from their service as other companies set up their own streaming services. The very same time is going to happen in games, so MS need to be producing a steady stream of Netflix Originals. Studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Double Fine have multiple teams that can push out smaller titles regularly if needed.

A publisher acquisition would give them more I.P. for existing dev studios to use and also make sure any rival services cant use the content.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
With the Netflix model of Games Pass MS need I.P. and content. The have studios already for the big first party titles like The Coalition, 343 and the Initiative.

Look at where Netflix are now, they are looking at losing a huge amount of titles ( some of the most popular like Friends & The office ) from their service as other companies set up their own streaming services. The very same time is going to happen in games, so MS need to be producing a steady stream of Netflix Originals. Studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Double Fine have multiple teams that can push out smaller titles regularly if needed.

A publisher acquisition would give them more I.P. for existing dev studios to use and also make sure any rival services cant use the content.

MS has enough IP. If they want IP, they should go for the big fish. Like they did with Minecraft and Gears of War.

But buying a publisher doesn't just mean buying IP and studios. It means you are buying thousands of people doing marketing, publishing deals, support, etc. All redundant because MS already does publishing themselves.

I'm not against acquiring IP or studios. I just don't think gaming becomes better or will grow if big multinationals start acquiring all the publishers.

isaaccs

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
I don't get why people act like as if TV ads are important in 2019. There are much more important areas to set up ads, social media, gaming sites, YouTube ads etc.

It's not like the Gears franchise is targeted at 12 years old Jimmy who just plays Fortnite. Gears 5 is already getting some more prominent, "mainstream" stuff by partnering with Rockstar energy drinks.They shouldn't waste their budget on TV ad slots but on more effective stuff like just exampled. Gears is targeted at the core gaming group and that's fine.

All that said ... The best marketing campaign XGS games get is Game Pass and Steam - and the early snowball effect the initial wave of players this will result in on Twitch, Youtube etc.

People forget about this fast, but after FH4, Gears 5 is only the second "really big known-IP" XGS game launching into Game Pass. And I don't need to remind you about the insane numbers FH4 is doing.
What the fuck are Rockstar Energy drinks? Seriously? You call that "mainstream"? I'd rather see them doing TV commercials, believe it or not, millions of people still watch TV these days... I'll even assume more than those who give a fuck about what's in their "Rockstar Energy" can.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
You guys are so freaking afraid of content droughts next-gen.
Relax.
XGS has 14+ studios now, and MSGP will still have projects with independent studios.
There's no need to swallow the entire industry whole just to "save" Xbox.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Apr 6, 2018
This Is what i keep saying but people is still bringing God Of War to the conversation, and then when they have nothing to say, they start comparing Gears to RE4, lol
well it's easy to compare gears to dmc since both of them have an heavy meta game about searching glitches in animations, jump cancelling in dmc and wallbouncing in gears, which become institutional in the sequels

JD doesnt have a gun in his hands (or His back) at the very end of the cutscene (when the transition to gameplay starts)
What does this mean?
Well, big things
Maybe Gears 5 will have free walk in New Ephyra, where you wont need a gun glued to your hands, again, think about the Citadel from Mass Effect, so, Morgoth Bauglir was right with his info (again)

Wait, I didn't even noticed

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
What the fuck are Rockstar Energy drinks? Seriously? You call that "mainstream"? I'd rather see them doing TV commercials, believe it or not, millions of people still watch TV these days... I'll even assume more than those who give a fuck about what's in their "Rockstar Energy" can.
How is Rockstar not mainstream? It's a massive brand.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm chill, my man. Woke up an hour ago, life's awesome...
But you're seriously calling Rockstar Energy drinks ads (I seriously have NEVER heard of it in my entire damn life until this Gears 5 "promotion") more important than TV ads? Please say sike, bro.
No, of course I'm not saying that. The "more prominent and mainstream" part references the comparison to YouTube, social media etc. However, Rockstar is definitely a broader promotion outside of the gaming bubble, no reason to deny that.

That said, I stand by my words that TV ads are not as important as they used to in 2019, *especially* not for a mature game like Gears which targets core gamers.

I would rather see 30sec ad trailers for the game everywhere on Twitter, YouTube, Twitch or gaming sites around launch day. This would be much more effective for this particular game.

isaaccs

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
How is Rockstar not mainstream? It's a massive brand.
More mainstream than TV?
No, of course I'm not saying that. The "more prominent and mainstream" part references the comparison to YouTube, social media etc. However, Rockstar is definitely a broader promotion outside of the gaming bubble, no reason to deny that.

That said, I stand by my words that TV ads are not as important as they used to in 2019, *especially* not for a mature game like Gears which targets core gamers.
I agree that TV ads have become less efficient than 15 years ago, for example. But the audience on there is still very big, and they're not going to ditch that for Rockstar Energy drink can advertisement. That's why they will have TV ads.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018

What does this mean?
Well, big things

I didn't notice that..... well it will be great if it like Citadel

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I assume Rockstar Energydrnks is a American brand? :P Never heard of it.

The most important marketing for Gears 5 will be 2-3 weeks before the game launches. Getting streamers to play the game, be at Gamescom and show off gameplay, have a amazing trailer. Have TV ads, YouTube ads, etc.

The game being so low on Steam's wishlist is problematic.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm chill, my man. Woke up an hour ago, life's awesome...
But you're seriously calling Rockstar Energy drinks ads (I seriously have NEVER heard of it in my entire damn life until this Gears 5 "promotion") more important than TV ads? Please say sike, bro.
I am going to bet my life that everyone watching week 1 and 2 of the NFL season will know they can play gears of war 5 for a dollar with gamepass even if they have no clue what it is

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
More mainstream than TV?

I agree that TV ads have become less efficient than 15 years ago, for example. But the audience on there is still very big, and they're not going to ditch that for Rockstar Energy drink can advertisement. That's why they will have TV ads.
It sounds like they're all doing TV ads too though.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019

The most important marketing for Gears 5 will be 2-3 weeks before the game launches. Getting streamers to play the game, be at Gamescom and show off gameplay, have a amazing trailer. Have TV ads, YouTube ads, etc.

I bet not many people even know it's gonna be on Steam.

Oct 26, 2018

I would rather see 30sec ad trailers for the game everywhere on Twitter, YouTube, Twitch or gaming sites around launch day. This would be much more effective for this particular game.
Can't really agree with that, I mean red dead and (to a lesser extent) days gone are mature games and they had multiple tv ads

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Can't really agree with that, I mean red dead and (to a lesser extent) days gone are mature games and they had multiple tv ads
That's fine - and so will Gears 5.

A TV ad likely won't reach the common Steam player though, they need other channels for this. And that is much, much more important imo.

The one thing doesn't exclude the other. I'm not talking in extremes, just that the focus should be a different one.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
TV commercial are quite less intresting nowadays. Having big streamers play your game has a bigger impact nowadays.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Even taking TV's reduced effectiveness for marketing into account (although even this feels questionable), there's no reason they aren't pushing out teasers on YT, Twitch, etc.

We aren't even seeing banner ads on public transport, gaming sites, etc. There is something seriously wrong with how Gears 5 is being marketed, that much really can't be denied at this point.

As an example, I was seeing banner ads on public transport for God of War at least three months before the game launched. Similar time-frame for Days Gone too. Where are the ads for Gears 5?

Jun 22, 2018
Yes, TV as a whole is bigger, but Rockstar is huge. Every gas station, every grocery store, even the vending machines at my work sell Rockstar energy drinks.

Nov 23, 2018

Rockstar is popular in America! I wonder if this has to do with esports branding/sponsorship?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I work in marketing and starting your public marketing 45 days before release is waste of money. You start with marketing for the core base wich need information or want to see things that have changed etc.
To hit the casual you hit your high point at the day of release.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
this is purely a "old man yelling at clouds" post lol
keep them coming isac

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I've new infos, good and bad, from the friendly source on gears 5

We are listening to you !

Rare just hit the 250 staff milestone (252 now). Incredible growth for the studio during that last few months and years.

bildschirmfoto2019-07rtjra.png

Yes, he recruit a lot of young talented people lately.

What i like about Rare is that he has a great talented engineering team, Sea of thieves is beautiful and he is configfriendly.

Sea of thieves team : 150 people with Gregg mayles Studio creative director.

New IP team : +-100 people with Gregg mayles Studio creative director and same engineering team

The lead designer on the new IP is a former lionhead studios, Lead technical designer on Fable Legends.

isaaccs

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Yes, TV as a whole is bigger, but Rockstar is huge. Every gas station, every grocery store, even the vending machines at my work sell Rockstar energy drinks.
It might be, I don't know. The Gears 5 x Rockstar Energy thing said it was going to be showing up in Mexico as well, but I know no one who has ever bought a "Rockstar Energy Drink" here. I've never seen it anywhere, not even at stores. Hell, not even on social media. I'm not sure why I'm even mad, Microsoft won't do jack shit to promote their games here in Mexico (or anywhere outside the US, really) besides damn Game Pass Doritos.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I see the thread bumped, assume there´s big news, see you all discussing those atrocious Monster Energy drinks, go back to bed lol.

Oct 25, 2017
We are listening to you !

Yes, he recruit a lot of young talented people lately.

What i like about Rare is that he has a great talented engineering team, Sea of thieves is beautiful and he is configfriendly.

Sea of thieves team : 150 people with Gregg mayles Studio creative director.

New IP team : +-100 people with Gregg mayles Studio creative director and same engineering team

The lead designer on the new IP is a former lionhead studios, Lead technical designer on Fable Legends.

*sniff
Smell like... MMO?!... RPG?!
*sniff

Status
Not open for further replies.