• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staller

May 8, 2019
Some of he biggest developers out today had some wildly humble beginnings.

100% agree.

People don't seem to not understand how much Money, Talent, Time, Direction & Luck it takes to make a game or any creative product. Money and Time are massive things that Compulsion and Undead were lacking in before their acquisition.

No dev sets out to make crap, they normally are the greatest fans of the medium. Like any creative projects sometime there isn't the budget or even worse the end product doesn't come out the way you had envisaged it at the start.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think we can write off Compulsion and Undead Labs. I don't think we will see anything new or interesting from them. Compulsion is too small and undead labs hasn't done anything but janky state of decay.

I love Xbox and I'm gonna buy whatever they make for consoles. But I'm never gonna get hyped for those Devs

I can't say I disagree with this at all.

I was massively disappointed with State of Decay 2, the general level of polish was poor and the overall package was far, far from what a 1P game should be. Granted, it was a very small team with limited resources. Felt like they were biting off more than they could chew off.
Conceptually I think the idea behind SoD was excellent, the main thing it lacked was actual developer polish and a narrative. Perhaps they can do more with a bigger team?

I still have some optimism for their future, based on the massive recruitment drive recently and their access to XGS resources. I think they recently took on a lot of devs from Arenanet.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
You need to look also what Compulsion for example do great and the reason they are bought. Story and world building the nailed already. Only the technical stuff is abit behind and WHF was also abit compromised by being a kickstarter and abit of overhaul later on. With the backing of MS they can hire better devs and can polish and focus more on the game they want it to be. Thats way easier then "buying" a good story or world building. I expect some great stuff from then. Just needed more time and money for polishing.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I honestly think we can write off Compulsion and Undead Labs. I don't think we will see anything new or interesting from them. Compulsion is too small and undead labs hasn't done anything but janky state of decay.

I love Xbox and I'm gonna buy whatever they make for consoles. But I'm never gonna get hyped for those Devs
I think We happy few was new and very interesting, what it wasn't was polished.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Intresting about the Gears 5 campaign. From the Gears retrospective book. Alpha already mid 2018.
If what we saw at E3 2018 is their definition of "rough" then oh boy.

"The scale of the game would expand in other dimensions as well. By the game's alpha milestone in mid 2018,external playtesters were brought in to play the game in a rough but end-to-end playable state. While playtests for Gears of War 4 lasted one weekend, the Gears 5 playtest stretched to two weekends."

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Intresting about the Gears 5 campaign. From the Gears retrospective book. Alpha already mid 2018.
Anthem looked "oh boy" at E3 as well and then look what we got.

Hype for Gears 5 is goin', but let's keep it sane till we get to try it out tomorrow ;)

Apr 6, 2018
Agree. I haven't played Judgement, but 3 is the low point for me for Gears campaigns. Gears for me is all about the dark, survival horror atmosphere - Gears 3 did the complete opposite of that.
I was talking more about the point of view of AI and level design
Ohhh damn. Great trailer!

Man, Arcade is yet -another- completely distinct mode on top of Campaign, Co-Op (3 players including split-screen), Versus, Horde, Escape, Tour of Duty and Map Builder. All this content is definitely what I would refer to as "ambitious".
This is what I was referring with the 20% joke, people sleep on the opulence offered by the game

They didn't played exactly what we saw, but I've heard that the campaign is basically ready since april/may
Anthem looked "oh boy" at E3 as well and then look what we got.

Hype for Gears 5 is goin', but let's keep it sane till we get to try it out tomorrow ;)
ANthem was a vertical slice demo, a situation built to show everything in five minutes, different situation

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Supported Languages for Gears 5

• arabic/subtitles: true
  • arabic/supported: true
  • brazilian/full_audio: true
  • brazilian/subtitles: true
  • brazilian/supported: true
  • english/full_audio: true
  • english/subtitles: true
  • english/supported: true
  • french/full_audio: true
  • french/subtitles: true
  • french/supported: true
  • german/full_audio: true
  • german/subtitles: true
  • german/supported: true
  • italian/full_audio: true
  • italian/subtitles: true
  • italian/supported: true
  • japanese/subtitles: true
  • japanese/supported: true
  • koreana/full_audio: true
  • koreana/subtitles: true
  • koreana/supported: true
  • latam/full_audio: true
  • latam/subtitles: true
  • latam/supported: true
  • polish/subtitles: true
  • polish/supported: true
  • russian/subtitles: true
  • russian/supported: true
  • schinese/subtitles: true
  • schinese/supported: true
  • spanish/full_audio: true
  • spanish/subtitles: true
  • spanish/supported: true
  • tchinese/full_audio: true
  • tchinese/subtitles: true
  • tchinese/supported: true
  • turkish/subtitles: true
  • turkish/supported: true

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Supported Languages for Gears 5

• arabic/subtitles: true
  • arabic/supported: true
  • brazilian/full_audio: true
  • brazilian/subtitles: true
  • brazilian/supported: true
  • english/full_audio: true
  • english/subtitles: true
  • english/supported: true
  • french/full_audio: true
  • french/subtitles: true
  • french/supported: true
  • german/full_audio: true
  • german/subtitles: true
  • german/supported: true
  • italian/full_audio: true
  • italian/subtitles: true
  • italian/supported: true
  • japanese/subtitles: true
  • japanese/supported: true
  • koreana/full_audio: true
  • koreana/subtitles: true
  • koreana/supported: true
  • latam/full_audio: true
  • latam/subtitles: true
  • latam/supported: true
  • polish/subtitles: true
  • polish/supported: true
  • russian/subtitles: true
  • russian/supported: true
  • schinese/subtitles: true
  • schinese/supported: true
  • spanish/full_audio: true
  • spanish/subtitles: true
  • spanish/supported: true
  • tchinese/full_audio: true
  • tchinese/subtitles: true
  • tchinese/supported: true
  • turkish/subtitles: true
  • turkish/supported: true
the beta is dubbed already? source?

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 here I come! I'm currently looped into FFXIV and Monster Hunter World so Gears will be a nice change of pace. Hoping I like the multiplayer enough to use it as a refresher game between the other two.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018

I have to disagree with this opinion. For Compulsion Games, they are basically the best devs for Microsoft to create a Bioshockesque atmosphere and environment. Bioshock was an amazing game, and with Compulsion, they have the creepy vibe down beautifully. White Masks with smiles, and stuff, I can see Compulsion creating some crazy creepy FPS games, exactly with the Bioshock atmosphere. Honestly, when they bought Compulsion I was happy, they are the type of devs that can create something special with that atmosphere.

State of Decay 2 was fun. I can guarantee with the amount they are getting funded with, they will be able to do a lot more. Like Days Gone style.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
100% agree.

People don't seem to not understand how much Money, Talent, Time, Direction & Luck it takes to make a game or any creative product. Money and Time are massive things that Compulsion and Undead were lacking in before their acquisition.

No dev sets out to make crap, they normally are the greatest fans of the medium. Like any creative projects sometime there isn't the budget or even worse the end product doesn't come out the way you had envisaged it at the start.

Agreed. Case in point: Way of the Warrior by Naughty Dog.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

Huh? You realize whatever they showed at E3 could have just been portions of the game that were extremely polished right? The versions they played likely weren't the same quality.

I'm extremely excited for the game but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
TC must be super confident in whatever they've been working on. If the mp looks this good then I can't even begin to imagine how good the campaign must look.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Agreed. Case in point: Way of the Warrior by Naughty Dog.
Guerrilla is the example I have used in the past.

Right before Sony acquired them, they had only released two games: Nam '67 (58 Metascore) and Killzone (70 Metascore).

For reference, We Happy Few has a 67 Metascore and critics scores are much harsher these days.

You don't acquire a company for what it has done in the past, you acquire it for what it's going to do in the future with your investment, support and resources.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't know why but I have a feeling the next Splinter Cell is going to launch next year with Scarlett
It'll be multi-platform. And any new Splinter Cell in first couple of years of next gen will undoubtedly be cross-gen too.

Can't see it being a title ready for Scarlett/PS5 launch as I feel we would have had leaks, but then there was that strange Walmart thing and then the weird 'joke' last month.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
It'll be multi-platform. And any new Splinter Cell in first couple of years of next gen will undoubtedly be cross-gen too.

Can't see it being a title ready for Scarlett/PS5 launch as I feel we would have had leaks, but then there was that strange Walmart thing and then the weird 'joke' last month.

Possibly I just see it as it's been 7 years since the last game? and it was on last gen systems. Ubisoft didn't produce any splinter cell this entire generation. That seems to me they didn't want to spend the budget on releasing one. It could be MS put up some money like they did with Dead Rising to revive the franchise and get some exclusivity. I can see MS working to get it for launch to help with it's catalog

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly I just see it as it's been 7 years since the last game? and it was on last gen systems. Ubisoft didn't produce any splinter cell this entire generation. That seems to me they didn't want to spend the budget on releasing one. It could be MS put up some money like they did with Dead Rising to revive the franchise and get some exclusivity. I can see MS working to get it for launch to help with it's catalog

What makes you think that? I would think MS would want to push their own devs to make launch, not a third party title which won't even be on Gamepass. I'd be happy if it happened, but the above makes no sense to me.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
What makes you think that? I would think MS would want to push their own devs to make launch, not a third party title which won't even be on Gamepass. I'd be happy if it happened, but the above makes no sense to me.

Those devs aren't going to have games ready for next year. The only teams I can see releasing next year are 343i, T10, and possibly Rare. It's better MS gives the devs time to make their debut games. With Ubisoft hinting at splinter cell, I'm sure they've been working on it. Also it could be on gamepass if MS paid upfront cash for development. There's loads of 3rd party games on gamepass on or near release

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why but I have a feeling the next Splinter Cell is going to launch next year with Scarlett
MS has traditionally launched their new consoles with one or two big third party developed exclusives. I wonder what they have planned for Scarlet though.. MS could indeed be funding a new SC game or some other game from Capcom , Sega or a well known western dev.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
MS has traditionally launched with one or two big their party developed exclusives. I wonder what they have planned for Scarlet. They could indeed be funding a new SC or some other game from Capcom or Sega.

Definitely it really makes sense for them since most of their devs won't be ready for 2020 to release a game without rushing it. So MS can spend the money for 2020 on exclusive 3rd party games and afterwards let the 1st party take over

What would you all want Rare to do? A new IP or revive a existing franchise?

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Those devs aren't going to have games ready for next year. The only teams I can see releasing next year are 343i, T10, and possibly Rare. It's better MS gives the devs time to make their debut games. With Ubisoft hinting at splinter cell, I'm sure they've been working on it. Also it could be on gamepass if MS paid upfront cash for development. There's loads of 3rd party games on gamepass on or near release

I doubt it, but I'd love to be wrong. I really want a new SC game, whatever it takes.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
MS has traditionally launched their new consoles with one or two big third party developed exclusives. I wonder what they have planned for Scarlet though.. MS could indeed be funding a new SC game or some other game from Capcom , Sega or a well known western dev.
I think this is a very important point. Also, the timing of a deal would have aligned with when the Xbox budget was significantly increased so I think there's a chance Microsoft went out and got something really special. My money is on one game from an established developer (I personally think Capcom makes the most sense given the timeline) and one major XGS project from a little more of an unknown (likely with help from an XGS studio or some other significant resources).

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is a very important point. Also, the timing of a deal would have aligned with when the Xbox budget was significantly increased so I think there's a chance Microsoft went out and got something really special. My money is on one game from an established developer (I personally think Capcom makes the most sense given the timeline) and one major XGS project from a little more of an unknown (likely with help from an XGS studio or some other significant resources).
Capcom has to be working on something at this point IIRC didn't MS say Capcom was already working with xcloud? another other dev mentioned was Paradox.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Capcom has to be working on something at this point IIRC didn't MS say Capcom was already working with xcloud? another other dev mentioned was Paradox.
Correct, Capcom and Paradox were the two studios specifically mentioned when Microsoft began doing its first xCloud demos and work with third-party developers. Capcom was also in a very different place in late 2016/early 2017 when a deal like this would have been finalized. RE7 hadn't released yet (or had just released, depending on the timeline) and they weren't as financially stable as they are now.

I personally think there's a chance it's Dead Rising again. I don't think the death of Capcom Vancouver was the death of that franchise and I think Microsoft definitely wanted that to be seen as a "Microsoft franchise." Microsoft hadn't acquired Undead Labs yet and who knows if they were even a target at that point. A more horror-oriented refresh of the Dead Rising franchise on the RE Engine could definitely be appealing, but it would be unfortunate given how things have worked out with Undead Labs.

Xbox global publishing will play a big role at the start of next gen.
I certainly hope so. I think people are under the impression that Microsoft will scale back on XGSGP project now that they've acquired more studios, but I don't think that would be a good move. If Microsoft scales back the XGSGP projects, even with the acquired studios, they've just shifted the first-party output problem from not having enough internal teams to not utilizing second-party teams enough.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Original Xbox.
Project Gotham Racing.
Dead or Alive 3.
Nightcaster.
Fuzion Frenzy.
Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding.
Rallisport Challenge

Xbox 360.
Project Gotham Racing 3.
Dead or Alive 4.
Final Fantasy XI.
And who can forget all that Sega love they had last generation?

Xbox One.
Ryse: Son of Rome.
Dead Rising 3.
Sunset Overdrive.
Killer Instinct.

This is before one considers titles that they brought in later in the year. I personally think that the minimum we will see is two games at launch or launch window and another title later in the year like we saw Titanfall. That would give Microsoft the room needed to have something for the holidays and other first party games can start coming in the next year. At that point I think that the most we see is two Global Publishing titles, one being a smaller title.

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox global publishing will play a big role at the start of next gen.

Dat Perfect Dark and KI2
giphy.gif

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I have to disagree with this opinion. For Compulsion Games, they are basically the best devs for Microsoft to create a Bioshockesque atmosphere and environment. Bioshock was an amazing game, and with Compulsion, they have the creepy vibe down beautifully. White Masks with smiles, and stuff, I can see Compulsion creating some crazy creepy FPS games, exactly with the Bioshock atmosphere. Honestly, when they bought Compulsion I was happy, they are the type of devs that can create something special with that atmosphere.

State of Decay 2 was fun. I can guarantee with the amount they are getting funded with, they will be able to do a lot more. Like Days Gone style.

They don't make Days Gone type of games. They make community builders. They haven't even ever done cinematics before. You can't just change an entire studios output like that. The only thing they can make is a bigger state of decay.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Going to Halo Outpost tomorrow! Any deets you all want me to try to get from 343i people? I'll entice Frankie with a panzarotti and a cold beer

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They don't make Days Gone type of games. They make community builders. They haven't even ever done cinematics before. You can't just change an entire studios output like that. The only thing they can make is a bigger state of decay.
Is this sarcasm? Can Guerilla games make anything that's not a FPS? Naughty Dog anything that's not Jak and Daxter? Insomniac a game that's not ratchet and clank?

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Prior to making Horizon Zero Dawn, all Guerrilla Games made was shooters.

Prior to making Fable, Lionhead was doing Black & White, mainly simulation with strategy elements.

Before Digital Illusions CE got into racing and shooters, they were making a platformer and pinball games. First Battlefield title came after a decade.

There are numerous other examples.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I dunno, I think he might be on to something. Maybe Microsoft was worried that between Double Fine, Obsidian and Ninja Theory, their output would be too good. Maybe they spent several million dollars on Compulsion and Undead Labs because they're subpar devs that can only make subpar games, and that's what Microsoft needed, to balance out the portfolio.

*sarcasm

Last edited:

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Some comments here suddenly are pretty disrespectful against certain dev teams.

Come on, you are better than that. With the added resources, every single XGS team has the chance to fulfill their own vision and deliver great experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.