• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I bet it physically hurt Jez to see those numbers, and even more to admit it on twitter as "Mixed" results.

Software / Services is likely dragged down from Fortnite down YoY. Not to mention big games like BFV being down. Although with FH4 and RDR2 youd think it would be better.
Da faq? Please take console warrior posts out of here please.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I follow Jez and i dont quite understand how hes been labeled as the ultimate Xbox fanboy considering hes been more critical of the Xbox brand and Microsoft in general in the past few months than ive ever seen.

Staller

May 8, 2019
yes it's really bad results...
and i really don't like Phil strategy.... i wish if they follow Playstation strategy instead

Xbox and to an extend Sony's results for past 1yr have been helped and masked by Fortnight and it's success.

Phil Strategy is the right strategy. Decoupling Software and Services from Hardware is the right way forward. It's what MS has done with Office, Azure and Windows. Which was the main reason for one of their most profitable quarters. It's what Apple is doing with Apple Music and their services. More places to access and purchase their content.

At the end of the day, we as consumers shouldn't give a rat's ass about any corporation's profitability. MS isn't crying tonight having banked a net income of $12.4 billion and Xbox adding 2.53 billion to MS's overall rev of 33.7 billion.

Staller

May 8, 2019
I follow Jez and i dont quite understand how hes been labeled as the ultimate Xbox fanboy considering hes been more critical of the Xbox brand and Microsoft in general in the past few months than ive ever seen.

You're right. People don't understand the difference between being a Fan and a Fanboy/FanGirl.

Jez is a Fan of MS but he is very critical of MS and Xbox daily. Also once you understand how the sausage goes together you view thinks differently. Not every mistake or news needs to be bashed or harped on for 2yrs.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Doubt... But can happen.
Probably Disney, Google or Amazon.
Doubt Disney has a hand on this guy leaving. At this point it could a long list of publishers. Sony, Microsoft, Google and etc. There have been a lot of publishers (except Activision) expanding or wanting to grow. It would be cool to have him on XGS but I don't know if MS wants another shooter studio unless he plans on doing stuff beyond FPS.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Doubt Disney has a hand on this guy leaving. At this point it could a long list of publishers. Sony, Microsoft, Google and etc. There have been a lot of publishers (except Activision) expanding or wanting to grow. It would be cool to have him on XGS but I don't know if MS wants another shooter studio unless he plans on doing stuff beyond FPS.
Microsoft has 4 RPG studies (?) Another shooting study is feasible.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Heh, I'm fine without Capcom. I don't want a Publisher unless there's a strong reason for it financially. It would help A LOT though. Sony might buy SE as a response though (if allowed), so it's not all good for MS. Though the situation will mostly be like now anyways. Overall, it makes more sense to partner with Capcom and have their games day-one.

CC2 though? Bring it. They'd be perfect. Their recent interview sounded like everything MS wants and needs (wants global IP for one, and xCloud sounded like it would be perfect for them to reach everyone). Pick up Experience (I'm 99% they'd join right away, they wouldn't exist without MS's help after all) as well. Partner with Mistwalker again to create great games (unless they grow beyond concept an acquisition won't happen), and work with White Owl on GP exclusives.

I really can't think of a lot more. I just want developers that would do great with MS's help. Both Experience and CC2 fit that bill. Both with budget and being able to make what they want.

Yeah, I don't think a publisher is in the cards, independent of the kind of precedence it sets, like you said maybe if someone was going under and selling off assets or something, but that's a whole thing. Even what I've said a dozen times, a smallish Japanese publisher, probably isn't likely just because of all the tangle and loss it would cause. Partnerships make a lot more sense and generally would probably offer better results.

As for Japanese studios, CC2 and a fully evolved Mistwalker both sound good to me. I'd also throw Silicon Studios, Matrix Software and Tri Crescendo.

I'd like to also say Grounding Inc and Access Games, but they're probably a little small. Any two or three of those studios I mentioned above though would more than satisfy me in terms of Japanese potential.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a passion for supporting development with best in class tools and workflows? Do you get excited about Xbox and the prospect of transforming gaming through efficient and scalable services? XGS Tooling provides production and engineering tools for Xbox Game Studios. We work directly with product stakeholders form across our 15+ first party game studios to provide services that free up our game teams to do what they do best, make great games!

Nov 23, 2018
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate's $1 upgrade deal is phenomenal for gamers because of the 36-month subscription match. This offer is extremely interesting.

Essentially, players are investing (at low cost) in a digital portfolio and online services on Xbox with XGS' hope that this 2-3 year "relationship" will:
  • Commit players to the Xbox ecosystem as a whole (services, content, hard/software)
  • Allow XGS' studios to grow and develop new games
  • Drive up the user base going into next generation
Furthermore, I'm extremely anxious for all of the new XGS games upcoming, specifically:
  • Gears (5 and Tactics)
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

They ask her also abit about the Gears 5 "larger" stuff. She says she cant really talk about the SP. But she says they took their time to really tell Kait her full story.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate's $1 upgrade deal is phenomenal for gamers because of the 36-month subscription match. This offer is extremely interesting.

Essentially, players are investing (at low cost) in a digital portfolio and online services on Xbox with XGS' hope that this 2-3 year "relationship" will:
  • Commit players to the Xbox ecosystem as a whole (services, content, hard/software)
  • Allow XGS' studios to grow and develop new games
  • Drive up the user base going into next generation
Furthermore, I'm extremely anxious for all of the new XGS games upcoming, specifically:
  • Gears (5 and Tactics)
  • The Outer Worlds
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps

I wonder if Microsoft has plans for a couple heavy-hitters to drop right at the end of the 36 months time period that a lot of gamers likely used. Some may be inclined to not renew because they might have realized they don't use the service all that much, but if the 36 months finish right as, say, the Perfect Dark reboot is dropping, that would convince a couple people to stay.

This is obviously true, in general, for any month: Microsoft will try their best to convince people to stay. But one has to wonder if we see a spike of potential unsubs around July 2022 that they'd better address with a HUGE game or not.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Team 20by20 is back!

To be fair they are, to all intents and purposes, there already. Why buy 2 studios when you achieve the same result having 2 large teams in one studio. That's just duplicating overheads.

We know at least Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Playground and Rare all have decently sized alternative teams. That's better than an additional 3 small studios really.

Without console warring, do Sony do this? Or do they primarily brute force single team big budget projects, with all staff working at capacity, barring small teams experimenting on the NEXT game?

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Just make Tomonobu Itagaki lead Team Ninja again and deliver a Ninja Gaiden game with the quality of the 1st one from the original Xbox. Would cry tears of joy.

Last edited:

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
In all honesty, I'm really hoping MS picks you White Owls. I would love to see what Swery can do with some major backing. (And Microsoft, please get the D4 IP!)

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
To be fair they are, to all intents and purposes, there already. Why buy 2 studios when you achieve the same result having 2 large teams in one studio. That's just duplicating overheads.

We know at least Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Playground and Rare all have decently sized alternative teams. That's better than an additional 3 small studios really.

Without console warring, do Sony do this? Or do they primarily brute force single team big budget projects, with all staff working at capacity, barring small teams experimenting on the NEXT game?
Japan Studio is the only studio that has two teams. Guerrilla Games was looking to increase from 250 to 400 in a move aimed at getting games out faster.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Finally got Hitman 2 through the sale, getting stuck like i did on the one a few years back, really shoulda learnt my lesson I'm shit at games like this.

Looking forward to try out Gears 5 tomorrow!

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
The dude is the biggest cheerleader of MS in the business. Guy might aswell get an xbox tattoo on his body. Constant hype. Also disgusting defense of homophobes. Should be banned as a source
this guy is constantly trying to derail this thread together with some other guys...just ridiculous...take your shit somewhere else...this is the most pathetic post here whether u like all what jez says or not...you seem to think its cool talking about things no one cares about here...just look at the subject of the thread..i bet you are always giggling as you post all these crap here knowing you are pissing people off...just stop it and go somewhere else...per your posts its like a certain guy who constantly derails this thread and has not been seen in a while just recreated a new account..just stop it

Nov 23, 2018
I wonder if Microsoft has plans for a couple heavy-hitters to drop right at the end of the 36 months time period that a lot of gamers likely used. Some may be inclined to not renew because they might have realized they don't use the service all that much, but if the 36 months finish right as, say, the Perfect Dark reboot is dropping, that would convince a couple people to stay.

This is obviously true, in general, for any month: Microsoft will try their best to convince people to stay. But one has to wonder if we see a spike of potential unsubs around July 2022 that they'd better address with a HUGE game or not.
That has to be part of the thought process - all new studios should be starting to pump out games designed specifically for Xbox around then.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the Surge 2 stream now and i am still hoping Deck 13 gets acquired. Love that studio.
But seems unlikely now.

Status
Not open for further replies.