• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
So reading the thread asking if Assassin's Creed Odyssey is good, I had a thought that AC:O would be a good template for an open world Fable.

The combat system could be similar, but change the assassin branch to magic. It would be pretty fun.

I personally would like the world to be smaller as I felt AC:O was a bit too big, in that aspect. They could have ships too, working with Rare to get that water and combat.

I now kind of want this the more I think about it, lol.

I'm sure whatever Playground does I will enjoy it though.

Hi, btw! Long time lurker, finally signed up.

My problem with Assassins Creed Origins (I didn't play Odyssey because of how wrongly Origins rubbed me so maybe I'm being unfair here) was that the grind was flat out offensive. I'd spend hours hunting and doing side-quests, because I actually mostly enjoyed them, in between story missions, and then I'd still get merced by a target after I pinned them to the ground from 50 feet above and stabbed them in the neck and they stood up like I'd just bumped in to them in a crowd. Like I felt like the only way to complete the game without XP boosting was to do literally every side-quest available and spend even more time hunting and upgrading, and that kind of makes them not side-quests anymore. If they're required, that just makes them quests.

I think in terms of open world mechanics, Fable 4 should look everywhere. There's some good concepts to take from Assassins Creed, there's some good concepts to take from Reddead, Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher III, Grand Theft Auto, Minecraft even some concepts from God of War and other non-open world games could inform a really awesome open world. And new mechanics, things I've never seen or thought of.

I think youre right though, if Playground approaches open world RPGs the way they approached racing games, Fable's gonna be great.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
HDR settings with some pics from Gears 5

D_2taNvXYAAYOht

nice

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I hope it's just compression because those screens don't look as good as what we saw a year ago. what you think Detective Pidgey
I don't know about the X but on my 2080ti I think this is one of the most stunning looking games I've ever played. Just based on the training section alone, it looks phenomenal. And it feels perfect. I think we've got something special on the way here.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see the early reactions to Gears 5 beta being so positive, with all the subtle changes they've made to the gameplay , graphics engine even animation .It seems TC went all out this time and that bodes really well for the campaign.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the benchmark looks absolutely gorgeous, never doubt the Coalition. It's identical to the same area in the E3 2018 trailer.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Benchmark highlighted exactly the type of setpieces that i'm looking forward to.

Also the Tech Test is marvelous. Gorgeous visuals even on og xb1, 60fps, tight controls and Jinn calling you pathetic when you lose. I love it!

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
My problem with Assassins Creed Origins (I didn't play Odyssey because of how wrongly Origins rubbed me so maybe I'm being unfair here) was that the grind was flat out offensive. I'd spend hours hunting and doing side-quests, because I actually mostly enjoyed them, in between story missions, and then I'd still get merced by a target after I pinned them to the ground from 50 feet above and stabbed them in the neck and they stood up like I'd just bumped in to them in a crowd. Like I felt like the only way to complete the game without XP boosting was to do literally every side-quest available and spend even more time hunting and upgrading, and that kind of makes them not side-quests anymore. If they're required, that just makes them quests.

I think in terms of open world mechanics, Fable 4 should look everywhere. There's some good concepts to take from Assassins Creed, there's some good concepts to take from Reddead, Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher III, Grand Theft Auto, Minecraft even some concepts from God of War and other non-open world games could inform a really awesome open world. And new mechanics, things I've never seen or thought of.

I think youre right though, if Playground approaches open world RPGs the way they approached racing games, Fable's gonna be great.

Yeah. I was going to include a mention that it really shouldn't copy the quest/XP system. While I didn't have the problems you did with either Origins or Odyssey, it's not something I want in Fable.

And agreed, definitely should look at a lot of games.

*sigh* it's going to be a long wait until we find out what they've been working on.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
God, if Gears 5 campaign Is as good as it seems to be, that will put a lot of pressure on 343industries.
And thats good, they should stablish their own identity and leave Bungie behind, its about damn time, just like The Coalition Is doing (perfectly) with Epic, they are pushing Gears to the next level.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
God, if Gears 5 campaign Is as good as it seems to be, that will put a lot of pressure on 343industries. And thats good, they should stablish their own identity and leave Bungie behind, just like The Coalition Is doing (perfectly) with Epic.
Really wish I brought my Xbox during extremely long work trip. Heard some good things about

Last edited:

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
That does look awesome but what is that weird as part at the end where that shitty looking iceberg seems to just appear lodged in the side of that building? Am I misunderstanding what is going on there?

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Played a few matches of Arcade, not liking it at all. Feels nothing like Gears. Maybe fine as a casual entry point to the series, but eh. Hopefully can get into a Ranked match at some point.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The PC benchmark seems to show a campaign section :)

Sry for sound.
Okay, looks on par with the E3 2018 demo. The thing that annoys me is that this looks like typical Gears with almost identical enemy patterns, hit reactions, AI and level design. It looks like they're holding back when they should just go crazy with the changes in campaign. I hope that's just a benchmark quirk and the real game is different.

That does look awesome but what is that weird as part at the end where that shitty looking iceberg seems to just appear lodged in the side of that building? Am I misunderstanding what is going on there?
Probably just a pre-release thing that'll get cleaned up.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The PC benchmark seems to show a campaign section :)

Sry for sound.

In terms of visual design it looks awesome. Love the environment, the effects etc. That said, from a gameplay and combat design perspective, it's basically the same old thing, from the arena design, cover placement, enemy patterns etc. Not even sure if the big explosions etc on route to the combat arena even harm you much or if they're mostly just cosmetic.

Oct 25, 2017
man gears 5 feels SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD

LEMME PLAY MORE SERVERS

In terms of visual design it looks awesome. Love the environment, the effects etc. That said, from a gameplay and combat design perspective, it's basically the same old thing, from the arena design, cover placement, enemy patterns etc. Not even sure if the big explosions etc on route to the combat arena even harm you much or if they're mostly just cosmetic.

I mean, even if they took a shockingly different turn for Gears 5, there would still be traditional enemy encounters, right?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, even if they took a shockingly different turn for Gears 5, there would still be traditional enemy encounters, right?

Not necessarily. The combat arena itself could be less flat and ordinary, instead having lots of layering, verticality, pathways, alcoves and a generally more elaborate design for example. Enemies could also have more unique abilities and patterns.

Don't get me wrong, this tiny little slice might not be indicative of the wider campaign gameplay and combat design, and the full thing may be far more dynamic, varied and interesting, but this slice is what is being discussed and one of the few bits we have to go off at present.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Not necessarily. The combat arena itself could be less flat and ordinary, instead having lots of layering, verticality, pathways, alcoves and a generally more elaborate design for example. Enemies could also have more unique abilities and patterns.

Don't get me wrong, this tiny little slice might not be indicative of the wider campaign gameplay and combat design, and the full thing may be far more dynamic, varied and interesting, but this slice is what is being discussed and one of the few bits we have to go off at present.
We only saw standard Swarm mirror players (ie humanoids with guns). Gears mixes up encounters using different enemy types, like the Pouncer who steals cover and pushes the player around the arena.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Gears tech test servers seam to have a lot of issues. Can't play ranked and playing with friends isn't happening.

But damn does this game feel silky smooth.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This beta has put The Coalition as MS' top dev to me lol. The game is sooo good.

343i, Coalition, Initiative and Playground will be the top dogs with their first games in next gen imo.

What they've achieved visually is stunning at these frame rates. Makes me wonder what they can achieve with Scarlett hardware.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's fair enough. I just think that *both* will happen, the traditional cover and squarey shooter "galleries" of gears won't disappear, but there will be a lot more variety and the pacing will get much better thanks to it (also, more open environments)

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
We only saw standard Swarm mirror players (ie humanoids with guns). Gears mixes up encounters using different enemy types, like the Pouncer who steals cover and pushes the player around the arena.
Not to mention that even the same enemy type can react different when scenarios change. First time I encountered the Troika in the original Gears of War, I had issues before figuring out that there was a spotter, and that taking care of that made it easier to deal with. Dealing with snipers is also different despite them being the same enemy class, so much nuance to Gears, and it only got better with some of the changes they did with Gears of War 4 combining new weapon types with the weather factor, and new enemy types.

The drone and grenadier use cover, the boomer does not, and while verticality is not huge in the game, it is something that they have tried every once in a while in each and every entry.

I think that there is a want from people to see Gears change a lot more. It is a cover based shooter. There is not much that will change with the game when it comes to the core gameplay loop. What they do is change enemy types, movement profiles and how each of those enemies uses cover so that the drone does not play the same way as the juvies do, and the juvies do not operate in the same manner as say a pouncer or dee bee.

Last edited:

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
I hope the Coalition will go wild with weather conditions and environment interactions in gears 5. They showed a lot of different types of locations in e3 2018 trailer and they open up a very cool opportunities for interesting encounters.
And good boss battles, Gears 3 is stiil the king in that regard. With inclusion of Skiff, boss battles against Swarm-Leviathan on a frozen lake and Giant Worm in the desert , while riding it, is a must.

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
So people, i just noticed this

Screenshot-56.png

Translate: Animation Quality <Performance>

So, the Coalition managed to put this ingame? the fact that you can change the complexity of animations in a game is mindblowing, maybe this will be for the people crying that gears animations haven't changed a bit through the years, i dont know, maybe it doesn't mean that?
Did someone find any difference while changing this value?
The Coalition are truly wizards

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So people, i just noticed this

Screenshot-56.png

Translate: Animation Quality <Performance>

So, the Coalition managed to put this ingame? the fact that you can change the complexity of animations in a game is mindblowing, maybe this will be for the people crying that gears animations haven't changed a bit through the years, i dont know, maybe it doesn't mean that?
Did someone find any difference while changing this value?
The Coalition are truly wizards

I think that references the Animation Compression(which when you set to high will effect accuracy and animations will not be refined) or Per vertex bone influence(when you decreases this half you'll get performance boost but there will be some skinning issues like clipping of mesh and not so smooth deformations).
Obviously i am just taking a guess as per my knowledge of Unity , May be it's totally different from what I am suggesting.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I was watching a impression video yesterday of Metro Exodus about how he really loved the more linear, true to Metro parts and really didn't like the big open worldish areas. Metro probably isn't the kind of game for it.

Which brings me to Gears 5. Does it really need huge open locations for campaign? We already know thanks to rumors and confirmation that the campaign will be the largest yet. Large as in length or big huge open areas? Gears for me shines when the areas aren't too huge. When they are more focused. But I trust in TC that they do this right.

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Gears 5 movement feels smoother than ever and... i don't like it.
I forged myself with the heavy movements of Gears 4, i get it, open areas would be a pain in the ass with Gears 4 movement, but Gears 4 feels better while shoting and wallbouncing, i feel there is no weight in Gears 5, i don't know how to explain it, every movement feels loose.

Apr 6, 2018
I was watching a impression video yesterday of Metro Exodus about how he really loved the more linear, true to Metro parts and really didn't like the big open worldish areas. Metro probably isn't the kind of game for it.

Which brings me to Gears 5. Does it really need huge open locations for campaign? We already know thanks to rumors and confirmation that the campaign will be the largest yet. Large as in length or big huge open areas? Gears for me shines when the areas aren't too huge. When they are more focused. But I trust in TC that they do this right.
Hello, what I was saying since the beginning
Gears 5 movement feels smoother than ever and... i don't like it.
I forged myself with the heavy movements of Gears 4, i get it, open areas would be a pain in the ass with Gears 4 movement, but Gears 4 feels better while shoting and wallbouncing, i feel there is no weight in Gears 5, i don't know how to explain it, every movement feels loose.
IMHO it's an attempt to make it more pc friendly and the casual crowd. Still I enjoys it and I think that it could be the perfect match between 1UE, 3 and 4.
And hunting casuals in arcade is lit

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

I think both can work well. There were several larger vehicle areas in Gears 2, and I loved those, I though that they added welcome variety (those turret sequences, though, they were not welcome). Now, if there are larger and more open on-foot sections, I don't know how that will work, but we'll see.

And by the way, I'm not expecting Gears to dramatically change its core gameplay formula - I don't know why anyone would after how Judgment was received by most people. There are still many ways that they could mix things up in other ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.