• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I've been scavenging for more hardware news. There's been a lot of smoke about Xbox having weaker hardware but they're mostly from Pastebin and 4chan.

The only smoke about Xbox having weaker hardware was by Game Informer and Matt said that at this point, things change all the time, but if he had to say anything, he would bet on Scarlett having a more powerful hardware, so who knows. I think software is what matters in the end, and MS seems to be trying to improve on this front (hopefully it pays off)

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Warning: 4chan rumours

Is this more confirmation that Anaconda will be weaker than the PS5? The rest of the posts are kinda wtf but sort of believable.
Hahahaha this is so hilarious, and so ridiculous.

Edit: the next Xbox could certainly be the less powerful although have had signs that have pointed it to being weaker or more powerful. I have doubts that they would push Phil out the door if Scarlett were less powerful, if that were true then PlayStation should have let go of mark cerney and the head of the PlayStation when pro ended being weak than the x.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm wondering if this is Wasteland: Frost Point (VR Battle Royale) or a different project.

This could be a next-gen Xbox game now, if MS acquired the rights for this one. Or it's still the same contract.

d008R7L.jpg

Brian Fargo's inXile Entertainment has landed an investment from gumi VR, a subsidiary of Japan's gumi Inc. The $4.5 million investment is a combined total covering part equity in inXile and funding for a brand-new VR project. Fargo intends to build on his VR success with Mage's Tale by creating an open-world survival title for all high-end VR headsets.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Gears 5 is so good. Buttery smooth and beautiful, what's more to ask? Like the news maps a lot. Arcade is a lot of fun and there is a lot of room for adding features and events in that mode, like skins emotes and customization galore. Maybe stealing skulls by killing, who knows. If the campaign is up to this standard then ... just kudos TC. Well done.

Btw with gamepass ultimate you get the ultimate edition right. Anybody knows the Bonusses over the standard edition. Getting the ultimate edition with gamepass is also very good indeed.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Okay this game will be Wasteland survival game VR ?

I always thought this job offer was for their next project Xbox Game Studios it was a Gaas.

This confirms that Inxile will have 2 team on Single Player RPG

Wasteland Team

Second team head by Chad Moore & Jason D Anderson

Guide the technical development of a next generation, multi-platform, single-player RPG with action elements.

Apr 6, 2018
Not a full reboot. Just a hard shift in the direction of the series.

I mean, where is it written where a game cant have a good launch, AND be updated post launch? It's not just for content-starved/rushed/buggy games.
I don't see this as an hard shift, more like a selection, instead of being the biggest racing sim focusing only on the sport part.
I was simply pointing out that GT Sport at launch was an extremely poor packet compared to the previous entries
Win a lot of Goty awards?

I don't think it's the only parameter, but even if The Coalition create the perfect Gears, the game that all fans await, I'm not sure it will be a huge critical success. Fans will love it, no doubt about that. But I doubt it would have the same reception as God of War, for example.
God of War was a zeitgeist moment converging all the industry trends and turning them beyond which inflated the reception , Gears is not trying to do the same thing, it's reclaming its identity and shouting it proudly, which is, right now, the opposite of the trend promoted by the critics
I have no doubt that it will, since that's the trend and AAA games follow trends slavishly. That said I don't agree. If the game doesn't give you a good feeling for the damage you are doing, it's not doing it's job communicating properly (unless that's what it's trying to communicate) and throwing an extra abstraction layer of numbers on the screen, is a poor solution when there's so many other better ways to do the same. Show the player their impact on the enemy through reactions, animations and sound effects on or from the enemy. That's what's important in a game like Gears.

Throwing more numbers in there, will also open the door to more stuff affecting those numbers like cards, potions, crafting, loot and similar stuff that'll dilute the experience, turning it into yet another service game with a grinding focus, where getting the right card/loot drops suddenly become the focus.That isn't Gears.

I'm convinced that's the direction the franchise is going eventually - it's already halfway there - (and I expect Halo to follow suit with a similar focus on numbers/loot) - since it lends itself so well to grinding (retention factor) and more profit (microtransactions), but I'm praying they don't follow the numbers trend. It's already gone too far IMO with crap like cards in Gears to facilitate the direction.
I don't see any focus on numbers loot because right now there's no loot. From what we saw there's no hint about a diluited approach, the opposite, even if many in this thread are implicitely asking for that.
Early access to the game on September 6, Ultimate Edition Character Pack and 30 days of Boost.
Plus Terminator and Sarah Connor unlocked.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Okay this game will be Wasteland survival game VR ?

I always thought this job offer was for their next project Xbox Game Studios it was a Gaas.

This confirms that Inxile will have 2 team on Single Player RPG

Wasteland Team

Second team head by Chad Moore & Jason D Anderson

Guide the technical development of a next generation, multi-platform, single-player RPG with action elements.
Hmm, Multi-platform and not Xbox ,PC or Xbox family of Devices??

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Gross. Hopefully they can start making games outside of their prior contracts as well. That's probably what all the staffing up has been about at these studios.
Gross? Why because it's not an Xbox exclusive? If whatever this is ends up being is as good as their last VR title The Mage's Tale count me in. One of my favorite PSVR games this year.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Gross? Why because it's not an Xbox exclusive? If whatever this is ends up being is as good as their last VR title The Mage's Tale count me in. One of my favorite PSVR games this year.
Because it's VR. I'd rather they do something I cared about, of course, then do something I will never play.

None of their games are "Xbox exclusives" anymore, and that's a good thing, imo.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018

Anyone know anything about the size of this studio? Could be in the process of being acquired and SEGA thought it made sense to take cash for the publishing rights instead of deal with the situation down the line, for a game that may be a bit riskier.

It's interesting that the studio is keeping hush hush about who will be publishing the game, could be they just haven't finalized anything yet, but the way she said "we'll announce our new partnerships in due course" makes it sound like they have someone, but nows not the right time to announce it. Could be Xbox, could be anyone.

EDIT: Still know nothing about the size, but they're based in London, which makes it a bit more likely than if they were based in France.

Microsoft buys SEGA confirmed!!

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see any focus on numbers loot because right now there's no loot. From what we saw there's no hint about a diluited approach, the opposite, even if many in this thread are implicitely asking for that.

I'm talking about the direction I expect the series to move in, but it's certainly good news if it doesn't have cards or classes or something similar that affects stats. A that point the numbers are just clumsy solution to the problem (which I'm not even sure exists. I think Gears generally communicates well enough).

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
if it doesn't have cards or classes or something similar that affects stats
There already are "classes" in arcade gametype in gears 5, each with unique passive ability and weapon upgrade tree. There are classes and Gear Cards, that can be used to add bonuses to your character, such as improving the damage of specific weapons, in gears 4 horde mode. Horde and Escape in gears 5 are introducing new characters abilities on cooldown, like electrical knife. However campaign won't feature any of this, as Rod said.
Health bars will definitely help on the later waves in horde on higher difficulties, when enemies have double HP, double damage ect

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So I had the chance to meet Frank O' Connor at Halo Outpost in Philly on Saturday, and he got me even more hyped for Halo Infinite. I told him that the two pinnacle gaming moments for me were playing Super Mario 64 on a Nintendo 64 for the first time and then playing the first Halo on the original Xbox, as both were times where I was basically amazed at what video games can be. I asked him if Halo Infinite could give me that type of feeling. He said that obviously he can't promise how I will feel, but that the team's vision is the "spiritual reboot" of the series that has been mentioned publicly. He said that they want you to feel like you did again when starting the second campaign level on the original Halo after crashing in the Bumblebee and emerging into the open world for the first time, and he also mentioned the 1999 Macworld Halo prototype demo where people were asking whether it was real that you would be able to do all of the things such as driving a Warthog in a big open world.

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
i know most of us are thirsty for some legit rumours and all that but that aside why would anyone give oxygen to that shit rumour from 4chan....no wonder a rare poster in this thread posted it here...just some ridiculous shit

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
i know most of us are thirsty for some legit rumours and all that but that aside why would anyone give oxygen to that shit rumour from 4chan....no wonder a rare poster in this thread posted it here...just some ridiculous shit
There are two threads that kinda debunk those horrid rumors

Oct 25, 2017
These 4Chan "Leaks"...What a pile of bullshit.

The scarlet better be equal to or better than PS5

:)

I'm wondering if this is Wasteland: Frost Point (VR Battle Royale) or a different project.

This could be a next-gen Xbox game now, if MS acquired the rights for this one. Or it's still the same contract.

d008R7L.jpg

:(

Oct 25, 2017
Playgod Games
Playground Games are seeking a Technical Animator to join our Forza Horizon team who will help realise our games vision and work alongside award-winning technical and creative talent. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of rigging and deformation, while contributing to the development our internal animation pipeline.
As a Technical Animator, you'll work with the animation and engineering teams to devise solutions and workflows, creating rigs for animators and high-fidelity deformation for assets. Your analytical ability and planning skills will help the studio develop tools for the future to support character and animation production.

Horizon Team growing too.

Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Theory
We are looking for an experienced Look Development artist who can work with and support the technical and departmental leads to help us redefine standards for photorealistic quality and realism in a real-time PBR environment.

This will be a highly self-directed role, lending insight to streamline pipelines and helping to improve other team members assets, workflows and techniques.

The successful candidate will also be aware of the latest advancements in shader technology, able to prototype real-time implementations of technical papers, and work with engineering support to ensure they are production-ready.

We are currently looking for a Senior Designer to create compelling and interesting gameplay within given constraints, taking responsibility for areas of level design and/or specific game mechanics, demonstrating active involvement in the design creation process whilst ensuring the overall vision of the studio is maintained.

You will support the Game Director in ensuring the overall design requirements are met – to quality, schedule and vision. You will also support and mentor more junior members of the studio, leading smaller parts of the team, sub-teams and pods as and when required on an ad-hoc basis.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
God of War was a zeitgeist moment converging all the industry trends and turning them beyond which inflated the reception , Gears is not trying to do the same thing, it's reclaming its identity and shouting it proudly, which is, right now, the opposite of the trend promoted by the critics
Absolutely, but this is why I'm not sure the Gears IP was the good choice for The Coalition. Microsoft already has several games that sell well. What they need is games that are great commercial and critical hits, games that people will remember years after. I think The Coalition could do a game like that, but not with the Gears IP, because it isn't what they try to do with this IP.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
This is really weird...
maybe Kait wont be the villain at the end of the game, i wont put it as a spoiler because maybe its just a dumb bug

b9854uuz1xb31.png

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to derail here, but why is it that every thread that relates to Xbox turns into an utter shit show? It gets tiring after a while to the point I don't see any merit in posting outside of this thread. I mean I don't see any of that kind of posting behavior in other threads, or am I missing it?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to derail here, but why is it that every thread that relates to Xbox turns into an utter shit show? It gets tiring after a while to the point I don't see any merit in posting outside of this thread. I mean I don't see any of that kind of posting behavior in other threads, or am I missing it?

Until mods cared to keep order in those threads (Era's first 2-3 months), it was pleasant, but it slowly turned into what Gaf was: every Microsoft thread has half the posts shitposting and trolling with no consequence, whereas if someone posts those kind of things in a (say) Smash Bros. or Sony thread it gets shredded to pieces. Last year I had the not so brilliant idea of pointing out that threads shitting on Crackdown have like 10 times the posts than the one discussing it among players who actually played it, reporting all the "lol microsoft only makes shit games" kind of posts. None of those were removed, I got banned though. This was over a year ago. I occasionally get dragged into some discussion in those threads, still, but I learned better and started mostly avoiding those toxic discussions.

It's too bad because moderators and admins had a great policy at first that kept order in most themes and areas, but perhaps due to sheer amount of users and posts (many of them coming from the old place) it rapidly turned back into what was happening there, except they are extremely stricts in regards to certain social/political issues while thread derailing in many other situations is absolutely fine. I'm glad this thread exists because most other places on the Internet (or on Era, for that matter) are either positive because it's made up of misinformed Microsoft fanboys or negative because they're filled with shittons of shitposting, trolling, derailing and console warring. For people legitimately into Microsoft's hardware and software, this thread is a truly special place, but it's too bad this forum allowed the other threads to become increasingly more toxic without any repercussion to those responsible for the tone shift.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I see two possible scenarios for Wasteland: Frost Point. The VR team likely is just a few people within inXile, but it's still interesting I guess, even if I'm personally not interested in VR.
  1. The game was in development for quite some time already. It was maybe at a point where canceling the project wouldn't have make much sense, so they invested more resources to make it a proper first-party VR game for next-gen on Xbox Next and PC, like the job offer suggests.
  2. The project got cancelled. Instead the VR team is now working on a new VR project.
I don't see any chance the Chinese investment is still relevant for the company as MS very likely will have arranged everything here, similar to Psychonauts 2 and Double Fine or The Outer Worlds on Game Pass and Obsidian.

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
So I had the chance to meet Frank O' Connor at Halo Outpost in Philly on Saturday, and he got me even more hyped for Halo Infinite. I told him that the two pinnacle gaming moments for me were playing Super Mario 64 on a Nintendo 64 for the first time and then playing the first Halo on the original Xbox, as both were times where I was basically amazed at what video games can be. I asked him if Halo Infinite could give me that type of feeling. He said that obviously he can't promise how I will feel, but that the team's vision is the "spiritual reboot" of the series that has been mentioned publicly. He said that they want you to feel like you did again when starting the second campaign level on the original Halo after crashing in the Bumblebee and emerging into the open world for the first time, and he also mentioned the 1999 Macworld Halo prototype demo where people were asking whether it was real that you would be able to do all of the things such as driving a Warthog in a big open world.
I think this is the second time a dev on the project has compared Halo infinite to the original game and also made comparisons to that particular 2nd mission. I'm so hyped..... Hyped :)

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I see two possible scenarios for Wasteland: Frost Point. The VR team likely is just a few people within inXile, but it's still interesting I guess, even if I'm personally not interested in VR.
  1. The game was in development for quite some time already. It was maybe at a point where canceling the project wouldn't have make much sense, so they invested more resources to make it a proper first-party VR game for next-gen on Xbox Next and PC, like the job offer suggests.
  2. The project got cancelled. Instead the VR team is now working on a new VR project.
I don't see any chance the Chinese investment is still relevant for the company as MS very likely will have arranged everything here, similar to Psychonauts 2 and Double Fine or The Outer Worlds on Game Pass and Obsidian.
I wouldn't be surprised.

Xbox Scarlett Oculus Rift Support Apparently Confirmed By Podcast Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.