• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
On the Mixer topic: I think Mixer will be invented. Or at least it's purpose will feel quite different in the future. I agree with Zedox that it'll have some sort of integration with Xcloud.

If you read Nadella's statement on his business philosophy for Microsoft, Mixer has no place at Microsoft in its current form. It's not leading in the industry in any meaningful way. I don't mean in terms of users or profits. I think it's going to have to pull people with some unique benefits you can only get there.

I believe if it's a place...the place to demo games, it could stand out. Even more so than Stadia on Youtube. Xbox has a wider library of games and Microsoft could drive people to go there for free demos.

Imagine this...imagine the evolution of free to play weekends. Instead of having to own a Xbox and Xbox Live to take advantage of some of that stuff, all you need is an internet connection and any laptop or phone with the Mixer app on it.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Falling in love with FH4. Never really liked racing games, but god dam this game is fun. There is so much content

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
There already are "classes" in arcade gametype in gears 5, each with unique passive ability and weapon upgrade tree. There are classes and Gear Cards, that can be used to add bonuses to your character, such as improving the damage of specific weapons, in gears 4 horde mode.

I know. That's what I meant, when I said it's already halfway there :)

There's basically only two ways to do a long running service game. You can do versus or you can do grinding. Since Gears is already doing the first, the way they're expanding it is by adding more grinding. It works well with microtransactions, where it's easier to tie progression into them, which is why we've seen AAA games generally move in that direction. They can both keep players around by adding variations of slot machines and sell more microtransacions, typically in the form of boosters that makes progression faster, so publishers are happy.

The problem is not just how predictable it is, but also how it ends up affecting the design of the game themselves. It's a slow process with an ad here, some experience levels there and after a few installments, you have variations of the grinding template, where suddenly you're assembling loot, crafting cards, raising levels or similar, regardless of what the gameplay loop was originally about. There'll be ads in your game informing you of what's new or on sale at the store, and the store/marketplace option will be specifically highlighted on the menus, so you're never left in doubt that that's the most important menu selection on the entire screen.

It's not a random occurrance when we see a third party series like Assassin's Creed, suddenly start implementing mechanics and communicating like an MMO. It's how they tie their wish for player retention together with their other wish to make more money on microtransactions. And it affects the games on every level and if in doubt, just try and play games from before they started chasing live services + microtransacions and notice how the numbers/grinding loop is typically absent except from specific genres like RPGs.

With first parties I always (oftentimes naively) hope for better, due to their priviliged position. So seeing Gears moving in that direction is not a positive and numbers are yet another step on those stairs. A step which itself is a poor way of solving the issue of "how do we communicate to the player that something is hurt". In an RPG it would be fine. In an action game it adds an extra abstraction layer on top of the action, instead of trying to solve it on the action layer itself. If there's already too much going on, on the action layer itself, maybe it would be too confusing to try and solve it there - making numbers a good solution - but I don't think that's the case here.

So it's that double whammy of moving the game further towards the service grinding model, in addition to being a poor solution to solve how to communicate an enemy's been hit, that's the reason I don't prefer numbers to be further integrated into Gears. I'd much rather see reactions from the enemies themselves, the physics or the sound effects.

But I know there's no stopping this train. It doesn't matter if it's Ubisoft Game, God of War or Gears. The numbers are here to stay.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018
Speaking of mixer from the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like MS giving up on the platform anytime soon.

I would get Ninja, Dr.Disrespect, Shroud, Summit1G, Tfue etc. to stream on Mixer maybe once a week by paying them a lot. Not sure if they are contracted to Twitch or that bars them from streaming on a competing platform.

Just getting these guys to stream on Mixer will give them more publicity than any marketing activity they have done so far.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I would get Ninja, Dr.Disrespect, Shroud, Summit1G, Tfue etc. to stream on Mixer maybe once a week by paying them a lot. Not sure if they are contracted to Twitch or that bars them from streaming on a competing platform.

Just getting these guys to stream on Mixer will give them more publicity than any marketing activity they have done so far.
Being a twitch partner generally prevents you from streaming on other platforms. I think they even have limits on how quick a cod can go up on Youtube.

Apr 6, 2018
I'm talking about the direction I expect the series to move in, but it's certainly good news if it doesn't have cards or classes or something similar that affects stats. A that point the numbers are just clumsy solution to the problem (which I'm not even sure exists. I think Gears generally communicates well enough).
I agree with you, but escape has eight difficulty levels and few amno, so it's definitly extremely useful.
Personally I hope that in Horde they will bring some ideas from escape and arcade
So I had the chance to meet Frank O' Connor at Halo Outpost in Philly on Saturday, and he got me even more hyped for Halo Infinite. I told him that the two pinnacle gaming moments for me were playing Super Mario 64 on a Nintendo 64 for the first time and then playing the first Halo on the original Xbox, as both were times where I was basically amazed at what video games can be. I asked him if Halo Infinite could give me that type of feeling. He said that obviously he can't promise how I will feel, but that the team's vision is the "spiritual reboot" of the series that has been mentioned publicly. He said that they want you to feel like you did again when starting the second campaign level on the original Halo after crashing in the Bumblebee and emerging into the open world for the first time, and he also mentioned the 1999 Macworld Halo prototype demo where people were asking whether it was real that you would be able to do all of the things such as driving a Warthog in a big open world.
I'm the only one who was let down by combat evolved back in 2001?
To me this comment means just a thing: yikes
Absolutely, but this is why I'm not sure the Gears IP was the good choice for The Coalition. Microsoft already has several games that sell well. What they need is games that are great commercial and critical hits, games that people will remember years after. I think The Coalition could do a game like that, but not with the Gears IP, because it isn't what they try to do with this IP.
I find difficult to forget such a saga. With the only exception of judgement they were all critical success, and simply critic could not understimante that GEars 5 is an opulent package.
And personally, screw the critics, we travel on different roads since a decade and I think that the critical reception is one of the main reson why many series are loosing identities and converging on the same mechanics, both online and offline
Wow interesting, perfect addition to the SoT world.

Any idea when the next Tall Tales Mission would come out?
Unknown, but the community is spotting the kind of hints that lead us to season 1, small changes, dialogues and revamping the look of empty areas
Mixer - Our Commitment to you

Mixer still growing. There's good stuff in the link.
The kind of numbers that makes a company giving up

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Mixer numbers are low compared to twitch, but it has been steadily growing for the last two years. You don't close something is growing. And well... microsoft is the company that has never closed Bing even if it's nonexistent outside US, but they managed to make a profit of it. Mixer is more popular in europe than bing.
Bing is a multi-billion dollar business on its own (as well as being an important tie-in with a variety of technologies that tie to Azure services), but you'd still see people that say "it'll never beat the Google market share so there's no reason for it to exist". These things are not a zero-sum game, there's no reason to believe that multiple streaming platforms aren't viable and competitively healthy.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

In partnership with Microsoft Research, we have developed an advanced matchmaking system called TrueMatch that uses Azure-based AI learning to help find the best balance of ping, skill, and wait time, but in almost real-time. It adapts to the ever-shifting conditions of matchmaking, to bring the best experience, to players of all skill levels, no matter where they are.

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
So I had the chance to meet Frank O' Connor at Halo Outpost in Philly on Saturday, and he got me even more hyped for Halo Infinite. I told him that the two pinnacle gaming moments for me were playing Super Mario 64 on a Nintendo 64 for the first time and then playing the first Halo on the original Xbox, as both were times where I was basically amazed at what video games can be. I asked him if Halo Infinite could give me that type of feeling. He said that obviously he can't promise how I will feel, but that the team's vision is the "spiritual reboot" of the series that has been mentioned publicly. He said that they want you to feel like you did again when starting the second campaign level on the original Halo after crashing in the Bumblebee and emerging into the open world for the first time, and he also mentioned the 1999 Macworld Halo prototype demo where people were asking whether it was real that you would be able to do all of the things such as driving a Warthog in a big open world.
They talk about that moment during the development of every halo game and have yet to capitalize on it.
The fact that that is the only good moment they think is in the halo franchise kind of disuades me a little bit. The reason that is a good moment is because it shows you a console shooter doesnt have to be a corridor shooter.
We already know that. Doing the same thing again would be an irrelevant fail so Im interested on seeing what they think will be so revolutionary.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Man that's an uncomfortable answer. I know English isn't his first language but man that was tough.
His answer pretty much confirms that the "convoluted" development processes of both AW and QB were a key reason why Microsoft dropped them. It's unfortunate as it seems Control's development has been a smooth process in comparison, so they really should have been given a third chance. But AW was plagued with delays and development hell, and QB didn't set the world on fire, I don't blame Microsoft from wanting to move on. But at the same time, they are an extremely creative studio with strong director; which ticks the boxes of what current-MS is looking for.

RepedeYuriKarol

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jul 17, 2019
I mean...what could MS do with Remedy even if they did acquire them? If they gave them all the funding and resources, would that suddenly stop Remedy from having developmental issues and put out games in a timely manner? Control is coming out only 3 and a 1/2 years from Quantum Break which is a lot faster than the dev time of AW and QB.

However from what I have read, Control was in development before QB was released so it doesn't seem like Remedy kicked the tendency to take long with their games.

Maybe if these games were high caliber we can look past the 5 year development cycles but neither Alan Wake nor Quantum Break set the world on fire.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I mean...what could MS do with Remedy even if they did acquire them? If they gave them all the funding and resources, would that suddenly stop Remedy from having developmental issues and put out games in a timely manner? Control is coming out only 3 and a 1/2 years from Quantum Break which is a lot faster than the dev time of AW and QB.

However from what I have read, Control was in development before QB was released so it doesn't seem like Remedy kicked the tendency to take long with their games.

Maybe if these games were high caliber we can look past the 5 year development cycles but neither Alan Wake nor Quantum Break set the world on fire.
I think Remedy should forget gameplay and only create narrative games. They're really great with narration, so they should focus on that. Their games would be cheaper and easier to create.

I just finished Alan Wake today. The game is great, even if I enjoyed more Quantum Break. But I don't understand how a game like that could be profitable. It's quiet open and it has a lot of unique content, so I think it was long to create. Furthermore, it's a really specific game, not the kind of game I would recommend to anyone (unlike Quantum Break). Finally, survival horror games (especially without zombies) usually aren't huge sellers.

I enjoyed it and I'm really impatient to play Control, but I don't see how an Alan Wake 2 could be profitable, except if it is a really different game that the first one.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
His answer pretty much confirms that the "convoluted" development processes of both AW and QB were a key reason why Microsoft dropped them. It's unfortunate as it seems Control's development has been a smooth process in comparison, so they really should have been given a third chance. But AW was plagued with delays and development hell, and QB didn't set the world on fire, I don't blame Microsoft from wanting to move on. But at the same time, they are an extremely creative studio with strong director; which ticks the boxes of what current-MS is looking for.
Yup. I've said it before it's just how it turned out. No more, no less. Personally wish it would have gone differently but it doesn't sound like it was beneficial to both parties.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm glad Remedy is striking out on their own. Every studio should get the chance to try what Ninja Theory or Double Fine did, or something like it. Make the games they want to make in the way they want to make them. Obsidian and InXile were pretty successful at something like it too.

Platinum wants to do the same thing. Maybe after these studios have tried self publishing / indie publishing, they'll decide they don't like it and they'll be open to an acquisition, from anyone not just Xbox. Or maybe they'll be hugely successful and just keep doing it that way.

Whatever happens man, great games is great games.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sam Lake talks about Remedy's relationship with MS (video is timestamped at 1:00:13) :

People always assumed that the relationship between Remedy and MS broke down in a bad way after Quantum Break, but it seems a lot less dramatic in this interview.

It sounds like Remedy pitched Alan Wake 2 and Microsoft wasn't really sold on it, so they refocused on something else.

Plus now they have more multi platform experience, which is another tick box we know about.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Remedy should forget gameplay and only create narrative games. They're really great with narration, so they should focus on that. Their games would be cheaper and easier to create.

I just finished Alan Wake today. The game is great, even if I enjoyed more Quantum Break. But I don't understand how a game like that could be profitable. It's quiet open and it has a lot of unique content, so I think it was long to create. Furthermore, it's a really specific game, not the kind of game I would recommend to anyone (unlike Quantum Break). Finally, survival horror games (especially without zombies) usually aren't huge sellers.

I enjoyed it and I'm really impatient to play Control, but I don't see how an Alan Wake 2 could be profitable, except if it is a really different game that the first one.
Which is why it's been difficult for Remedy to get a publisher to fund a sequel among other things.

Although a service like Game Pass would make a big budget Alan Wake 2 viable.

Realistically, if Alan Wake 2 does happen I'd imagine it'd be a smaller modestly budgeted game like Control.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
They talk about that moment during the development of every halo game and have yet to capitalize on it.
The fact that that is the only good moment they think is in the halo franchise kind of disuades me a little bit. The reason that is a good moment is because it shows you a console shooter doesnt have to be a corridor shooter.
We already know that. Doing the same thing again would be an irrelevant fail so Im interested on seeing what they think will be so revolutionary.

Every Halo game? 343 made 4 and 5. We know 5 was supposed to be much bigger but was in dev gridlock then rushed to hit deadline. Infinite was given a much longer cycle.

Halo has been missing those big open sandboxes since CE. With Halo's balancing and gameplay, I think it could be quite great if they go back in that direction. Not irrelevant. Games that have tried open world FPS have had real generic sandboxes and gameplay. Halo would stand out.

Oct 27, 2017

Without a region lock it will also be a failure. How are people supposed to compete when they have enormous pings and appear on their opponents screen before they appear on theirs??

Region lock should be default. I can't believe that this is still a fucking question.

343 will totally fuck the next halo again with the same bullshit as well

Last edited:

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Without a region lock it will also be a failure. How are people supposed to compete when they have enormous pings and appear on their opponents screen before they appear on theirs??

Region lock should be default. I can't believe that this is still a fucking question.

343 will totally fuck the next halo again with the same bullshit as well
Even there was only few Xbox gamers in Asia, they still count as gamers, and all of them was very upset with Gears 4 matchmaking region lock.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think people try to search to much into the MS and Remedy relationship. Like something bad must of happened.
I mean its logical abit because they made exclusives for MS for two games and now not suddenly anymore so there must be a problem for people. I think thats kinda weird.
Nobody thought Insomniac and Sony had a bad relationship when Insomniac announced a xbox exclusive. Wich is even a step further then what Remedy is doing with Control and multiplatform.
Its business and Remedy is a stand alone company so every game or project is a standalone project.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
The thing is neither Alan Wake or Quantum Break were smash hits sales wise, so it was pretty logical for Microsoft not to pursue anykind of exclusivity deal with Remedy. Not in the face of building a massive 1st party support in the form of Xbox Game Studios.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
The thing is neither Alan Wake or Quantum Break were smash hits sales wise, so it was pretty logical for Microsoft not to pursue anykind of exclusivity deal with Remedy. Not in the face of building a massive 1st party support in the form of Xbox Game Studios.

What many fans have been saying for years now is that Microsoft should be a lot better with sticking with games/IPs, and building upon them even if they don't hit it big immediately. I agree, so I won't give them an easy pass because Alan Wake, and Quantum Break weren't hugely successful.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

Ryan Trowbridge former Tech Art Director at Sony Bend Studio joined The Initiative.

Please check his resume:

So are The Initiative hiring all their 'leader' positions at the moment? I'm still curious to know what kind of size they will end at, my gut feeling says they are aiming to become one of the headliner studios alongside Playground, 343 etc

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
What many fans have been saying for years now is that Microsoft should be a lot better with sticking with games/IPs, and building upon them even if they don't hit it big immediately. I agree, so I won't give them an easy pass because Alan Wake, and Quantum Break weren't hugely successful.

I think their problem is both that they're giving up too soon if something doesn't become a hit immediately, but also that they stick around too long/too much when it does. It's their biggest imbalance. Some of it might also have happened due to not owning many of the studios doing games for them, so they'd always be in competition with other publishers over the developer's output. Commisioning a sequel to something might've been difficult, if someone else was offering them another contract. That shouldn't be a problem any longer with all the new studios.

I do feel passing on more from Remedy was the right decision. Their games have been too slow and quite expensive, and with too little impact except in their early years. They should've gone for more from Insomniac instead, if they weren't already locked into Sony contracts. Their potential was always obvious and their effeciency undoubted.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I do feel passing on more from Remedy was the right decision. Their games have been two slow and quite expensive, and with too little impact except in their early years. They should've gone for more from Insomniac instead, if they weren't already locked into Sony contracts. The potential was always obvious and their effeciency undoubted.

I think they should've gone for both, to be honest. If I'm trying to look at things from their perspective, I can understand their reasoning for Remedy. But most of the time I'm looking at things from my perspective, and Remedy are one of my favourite studios, so...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remedy released two triple-A games in the last 15 years. Inbetween they had the XBLA Alan Wake spin-off, a mobile game and a Death Rally remake, all relatively small projects all around. Alan Wake was a critical success and a solid seller, but then the spin-off was pretty irrelevant. Quantum Break wasn't received that well and sold even less hot, though much also had to do with the Xbox One's installbase obviously. That's it, with their third game coming soon.

For comparison's sake, let's look at some other triple-A third person cinematic action/adventure games/franchises/developers in the same timeframe. Naughty Dog released 4 (and a half) Uncharted games and a The Last Of Us title. Crystal Dynamics started and finished TWO different Tomb Raider trilogies (although the last game was not developed by them, so let's just leave 'em at 5 games). ALL God Of War games were released in the same timeframe, including last year's soft reboot. The 5th mainline Gears Of War is coming around the same time as Control and that franchise started later. Entire franchises lived and died (sort of) during this timeframe like Mass Effect, Dead Space or Dragon Age.

During Microsoft's decade long partnership, Remedy released a whopping one successful and appreciated game, one that also cost shittons to develop after years of development hell. That's it. As far as we know, Control might break sales records and be the best thing since sliced bread, but as much as I love Alan Wake (and the original Max Payne), keeping Remedy around until eternity hoping that once every decade or so they pull off a truly great game is a hard ask. Rockstar can get away with releasing what is essentially a game every 5-6 years now, because they sell dozens of millions of copies out the gate and then get billions through MTX. Remedy can't get away with the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.