• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty cool. Its 10 months old and i have never seen it before. It has also like only 300 views. Intresting to see Marcus with a beard tho. and JD not.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

bildschirmfoto2019-05ihjog.png

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Gears 5, I'm currently playing RE5 (thanks game pass) and it's crazy the influence gears had in the last generation. You can totally see how some of the features are totally copied from Gears lol

Even more telling was the direct and deliberate copy of Gears' combat and controls into Uncharted last gen.

I wouldnt call it copying, Epic was influenced by Resident Evil 4 when doing Gears, they basically took RE4s control scheme & added a cover system along with the ability to move & fire.

Epic didnt copy RE4, was inspired by it and expanded upon those features, same for Uncharted.

Apr 6, 2018
Can't speak to their quality because I haven't played their games. But I definitely have zero interest in episodic point and click TellTale-esque games. There are plenty of other devs I'd rather MS look at.
I've nothing against the tell tale like games, but dontnod fucked the only thing that matters in that genre: the screenplay. LiS's one atrocious once you pay attenction over the teenage drama

Jun 22, 2018
I wouldnt call it copying, Epic was influenced by Resident Evil 4 when doing Gears, they basically took RE4s control scheme & added a cover system along with the ability to move & fire.

Epic didnt copy RE4, was inspired by it and expanded upon those features, same for Uncharted.
Sounds like we are getting into the semantics of the word copy, but we know the Uncharted devs completely redid their stuff after Gears 1 came out because Gears showed them how to do good 3rd person shooter mechanics.

Yeah, they put a bit of their own spin on it, but that's definitely a form of copying.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like we are getting into the semantics of the word copy, but we know the Uncharted devs completely redid their stuff after Gears 1 came out because Gears showed them how to do good 3rd person shooter mechanics.

Yeah, they put a bit of their own spin on it, but that's definitely a form of copying.

We also know Halo was inspired by Doom, Tekken by Virtua Fighter & Gears by RE4. And what ?

I totally agree we are getting into the semantics of what it is or it isnt copying but it rubbed me the wrong way reading that RE & Uncharted copied from Gears, like if Gears appeared out of the blue, when all games have elements inspired by other ones.

Jun 22, 2018
We also know Halo was inspired by Doom, Tekken by Virtua Fighter & Gears by RE4. And what ?

I totally agree we are getting into the semantics of what it is or it isnt copying but it rubbed me the wrong way reading that RE & Uncharted copied from Gears, like if Gears appeared out of the blue, when all games have elements inspired by other games.
I mean, in the words of one of the uncharted devs:

"One of the cool things about Uncharted 1 is, we had no ****ing idea what we were doing," said Pope. "Uncharted 1 was announced, and then Gears came out. And Gears invented the modern third-person shooter. Suddenly, Gears came out and showed them how to do it. So we changed everything, six months before release."
https://news.gvgmall.com/2019/01/20/uncharted-franchise-owes-everything-to-gears-of-war/

That sure sounds like even they considered it copying. Again, with their own tweaks to the mechanics.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in the words of one of the uncharted devs:

https://news.gvgmall.com/2019/01/20/uncharted-franchise-owes-everything-to-gears-of-war/

That sure sounds like even they considered it copying. Again, with their own tweaks to the mechanics.

Cliff :

Bleszinski said the seeds of Gears of War were sown by three titles. The first was Capcom's Resident Evil 4, which made an indelible impression on Bleszinski even before its January 2005 release. "I really liked the pacing and the over-the-shoulder view," said the designer.

I think we can all agree that there is a middleground between "direct and deliberate copying" and taking inspiration or evolving some elements.

And thank good some devs "blatantly copied" other ones, if they hadnt we wouldnt have games like Killer Instinct ( ahem Mortal Kombat ), indies like Shovel Knight or Axiom Verge, or entire genres like plataformings ( mario clones ) or 3D fighting games.

Jun 22, 2018
Cliff :

I think we can all agree that there is a middleground between "direct and deliberate copying" and taking inspiration or evolving some elements.

And thank good some devs "blatantly copied" other ones, if they hadnt we wouldnt have games like Killer Instinct ( ahem Mortal Kombat ), indies like Shovel Knight or Axiom Verge, or entire genres like plataformings ( mario clones ) or 3D fighting games.
Yes, it's a chain of using inspiration and copying. That doesn't mean that Uncharted didn't copy Gears, just because Gears copied something before it. The Uncharted devs changed their game based on Gears. RE4 was already there to inspire them, but it was Gears that the mimicked.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
Jez and Rand maybe looking too much into the Totaku figurine of Joanna Dark. Conker and Banjo-Kazooie have been out since last year. July is seeing Space Invaders Alien, Mega Man and Viewtiful Joe figurines by Totaku. I even have a Lemmings Totaku on my shelf!

Not ruling out a new Perfect Dark game but I wouldn't get my hopes up when it comes to a Totaku figurine. So... who is looking forward to a new Space Invaders game dropping at E3?! ;)

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
New Studio Acquisition - Name Your Own - Housemarque
Ninja Theory Game Time Frame - Future
Ninja Theory Game Story Genre - Sci Fi
Will Battletoads be shown - Yes
Number of Studios Acquired - 1 (Housemarque)
How much of Halo Infinite will be shown - Teaser Trailer
What will InXile show - Both Wasteland 3 and Bard's Tale 4
How much of Minecraft Dungeons will be shown - Gameplay Trailer
Xbox IP Revival Shown - None
Ori and the Will of the Wisps Release Date - September or later
How many enemies will be killed during the Gears 5 segment - Under 25
Cyberpunk Release Date - No release information
How many new games on Game Pass at E3 - 4
How many XGSGP games will be shown - 2

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm using Microsoft's reward, if they don't dramatically change the program anytime soon, it's gonna be possible to gain enough points too put toward a next gen Xbox

GamerGoinds

Oct 25, 2017
I really would love for Dontnod to be acquired I loved Vampyr so much I think it was great. I also really hope we get a tech demo of anaconda, to see the difference in loading times and physics would be amazing.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Man, I'm using Microsoft's reward, if they don't dramatically change the program anytime soon, it's gonna be possible to gain enough points too put toward a next gen Xbox

They already did dramatically change it a while ago, one of my friends goal for a while was to get an Xbox One X clearly with rewards points. I think he ended up chickening out and bought the S Minecraft bundle instead.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do I start this!? My job revolves around the computer, and I would love to use Bing to get points for stuff as I'm working!

Search Microsoft rewards and it should come up there's a variety of way of getting points, Bing search, and than gamepass rewards.
They already did dramatically change it a while ago, one of my friends goal for a while was to get an Xbox One X clearly with rewards points. I think he ended up chickening out and bought the S Minecraft bundle instead.

Yeah it was changed from how it used to be, but looking at it, if you do nearly everything you can in terms of gamepass quests , search, and the daily stuff you should be able to pull in around 10,000 points a month.

If you hoard them till next year's E3 you should have around $100 in Microsoft store credit.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'd take Deck 13 before Deck Nine. Disagree and you're going to get decked.

Asobo, DontNod, Deck 13.... why not just buy Focus Home Interactive, if we're so eager to snap up all the studios they work with? lol

Currently, they have a contract with 4 publishers :
1) Life is Strange 2 (2018-2019) with Square Enix.
2) Twin Mirror (2019-2020 probably) with Bandai Namco.
3) An unannounced game with a secret publisher (2020). Probably an exclusive launch game for the next Xbox.
4) An unannounced game with Focus Home (no date). Maybe Vampyr 2.

Edit : but again, don't count the fourth project as a reason why Dontnod couldn't be bought. Last year, Cyanide has been bought by Big Ben Interactive, even if they had two projects with Focus Home Interactive (The Council and a Call of Cthulhu RPG).

Actually, Cyanide didn't work on the Council. That was... Big Bad Wolf.

Call of Cthulhu already had a release date when the acquisition happened, so Cyanide finished that under Focus Home. The other project Cyanide was supposed to be making for Focus to publish was a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game. That went dark for a while, but recently it resurfaced, as being published by the new owner, BigBen- so the publishing rights got bought along with the studio, somehow? (Focus Home also later separately announced that it sold BigBen the publishing rights to Cyanide's cycling games).

So, I mean, it's not impossible, but highly unlikely, given the amount of commitments DontNod currently seems to have.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Not ruling out a new Perfect Dark game but I wouldn't get my hopes up when it comes to a Totaku figurine. So... who is looking forward to a new Space Invaders game dropping at E3?! ;)

The one thing I take from the figurine possibly signaling a new Perfect Dark is that the art direction of that character is vastly different from the previous versions. With the Xbox Game Studio logo present as well I think it speaks volumes to Xbox providing that vision to them. Would suggest they have been working on the IP to some level imo.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
The one thing I take from the figurine possibly signaling a new Perfect Dark is that the art direction of that character is vastly different from the previous versions. With the Xbox Game Studio logo present as well I think it speaks volumes to Xbox providing that vision to them. Would suggest they have been working on the IP to some level imo.
Or Totaku just made the design up and MS signed off on it.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Search Microsoft rewards and it should come up there's a variety of way of getting points, Bing search, and than gamepass rewards.

Yeah it was changed from how it used to be, but looking at it, if you do nearly everything you can in terms of gamepass quests , search, and the daily stuff you should be able to pull in around 10,000 points a month.

If you hoard them till next year's E3 you should have around $100 in Microsoft store credit.

It's not possible to earn nearly that much in Canada, unfortunately. Realistically probably about 5000 points per month.

Status
Not open for further replies.