• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Grenades have always been an essential part of it. If anything H5's thruster lessened their effectiveness a tad.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I always expected sprint to come back. Hard to take it away from those still playing Halo 5. With bigger maps, sprint makes more sense. It didn't make as much sense in Halo 5's corridors. Problem with sprint in single player is that enemies and environments weren't balanced for it. You had the most corridor environments and most stationary enemies of any Halo in 5. If enemies get aggressive and try to flank in wide open spaces, sprint, clamber and slide could be fun.

In multiplayer I thought spartan charge was a bigger issue than sprint. I'm in the camp that believes a higher base speed that negates the reason to use sprint would help justify not using sprint much for those that dislike it. Or maybe allow Chief to fire at all times but reduce accuracy when sprinting. I feel like this super soldier could hit some shots while near top speed.

sprint is the reason maps have to be made bigger and messier, grenades are fine, they are a part of Halo's DNA.

Won't disagree with this. A faster Chief means that balancing maps in both single and multiplayer is more difficult. Doesn't mean they can't pull it off though. There's a few Halo 5 maps that play very well.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sprint could work if you could shoot the gun while moving, and if the maps weren't just stretched out versions.

My biggest problem with the way 343 has handled sprint is it feels like they are making excuses to keep it in the game rather than providing actual good gameplay reasons for it to be there. Sprint fundamentally changes how the pvp encounters work and they haven't had any good solutions to make it work.

Hitmarkers, ground pound, thrusters etc are also just gimmicks and don't really improve the gameplay at all.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I always expected sprint to come back. Hard to take it away from those still playing Halo 5. With bigger maps, sprint makes more sense. It didn't make as much sense in Halo 5's corridors. Problem with sprint in single player is that enemies and environments weren't balanced for it. You had the most corridor environments and most stationary enemies of any Halo in 5. If enemies get aggressive and try to flank in wide open spaces, sprint, clamber and slide could be fun.

In multiplayer I thought spartan charge was a bigger issue than sprint. I'm in the camp that believes a higher base speed that negates the reason to use sprint would help justify not using sprint much for those that dislike it. Or maybe allow Chief to fire at all times but reduce accuracy when sprinting. I feel like this super soldier could hit some shots while near top speed.
At a certain point, you're just talking about titanfall then (or probably more apex since there's no wall running). I personally also liked the sprint and thrusters and increased mobility. No love lost for ground pound and charge, even if they were cool for a highlight or two. I have no problem with bigger maps. Messier is a weird word when you think of the chaos of btb. I think it works quite well.

Oct 25, 2017
Sprint would work if you could shoot the gun while moving, and if the maps weren't just stretched out versions.

My biggest problem with the way 343 has handled sprint is it feels like they are making excuses to keep it in the game rather than providing actual good gameplay reasons for it to be there. Sprint fundamentally changes how the pvp encounters work and they haven't had any good solutions to make it work.
this

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Sprint is a choice with trade offs. There are a lot more of those in Halo now. Fine by me, tho Charge too often has no downside!

As ever, the casual dismissal of H5's numerous qualities is really irritating.

Nov 12, 2017
tumblr_ot5vurgHe31uezmbko1_400.gif

Replace love with Phil. :P
Ahahahah

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Infinite has a chance to be absolutely massive. It's the first Halo to launch with a new system since CE, it's going to be launching simultaneously on PC and is going to introduce a lot of new people to the series. Considering the upward momentum of the Xbox brand post Mattrick and with Spencer, Infinite could honestly do something really special and return the series to its former stature. I have no idea what they're doing with the game but I don't think half measures will work. Halo 5 was a good multiplayer game but it felt like 343s modern day version of a a halo game. They need to something big.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Infinite has a chance to be absolutely massive. It's the first Halo to launch with a new system since CE, it's going to be launching simultaneously on PC and is going to introduce a lot of new people to the series. Considering the upward momentum of the Xbox brand post Mattrick and with Spencer, Infinite could honestly do something really special and return the series to its former stature. I have no idea what they're doing with the game but I don't think half measures will work. Halo 5 was a good multiplayer game but it felt like 343s modern day version of a a halo game. They need to something big.
Gamepass also. Entry to try it is cheap.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I think all Infinite needs to have to succeed is a good campaign and a consistent content pipeline.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Halo 4 probably has my second favorite campaign (after 3) and favorite story of them all.

A lot of people didn't like it because it lacked the big pseudo open world levels of the other games but I personally enjoyed the shooting quite a bit.

Halo 5 tried to correct that by making the levels bigger and more open but they still came off as mostly linear So It was kind of a step back in both regards. Plus the squad aspect kind of sucked.

Interesting, I didn't realize that linearity is one of the reasons people like Halo 4 less. That might be one reason (along with better story and visuals) that I like it better without realizing it. I didn't like the openness to the Halo trilogy much. There wasn't really anything to see/find, and more than anything I just got irritated looking for the next place to go.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be really cool of Phil/Xbox announced at E3 that NextBox would support Valve Index and/or WMR HMDs. They don't even need to build their own VR headset, but just, somehow, make Index and/or WMR headsets compatible with the NextBox.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It would be really cool of Phil/Xbox announced at E3 that NextBox would support Valve Index and/or WMR HMDs. They don't even need to build their own VR headset, but just, somehow, make Index and/or WMR headsets compatible with the NextBox.

I really hope they talk VR support at some point but not spend too much time on it.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they talk VR support at some point but not spend too much time on it.

If they do, I hope it takes up lots of time. Lots of great games and other things have happened/released the past 2-3 years that PC and PSVR folks could play, but not Xbox folks.

By lots of time, I mean 10-15 min should be enough.

And if anyone here is thinking/comparing VR to Kinect/Wii and stuff like that: you couldn't be more wrong. I own a Kinect, Wii, PSVR and Rift. Rift and PSVR is not comparable to Kinect/Wii at all.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

i am REALLY hoping they mention VR. i know it was originally talked about with the x, but this time would be for real :P

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
having support for vr headsets looks more appetizing than just a MS branded VR headset.

anyone have numbers on how many vr sets have been sold per each competitor?
i remember samsung just handing them out with the s9 pre-order (yeah i got one :P)

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Ms should just build the tools for VR and let WMR headsets be compatible with scarlett. I think they should use there studios to make TV games first.

They have built VR tools, Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) is their VR system, they just have outsources it to other companies (HPs Reverb headset for example, Acer got one).

WMR is just not supported on Xbox, that's all.

having support for vr headsets looks more appetizing than just a MS branded VR headset.

anyone have numbers on how many vr sets have been sold per each competitor?
i remember samsung just handing them out with the s9 pre-order (yeah i got one :P)

If you talk about Gear VR, it's not the same as Rift/Quest/VIVE/WMR/Index much at all.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
If they do, I hope it takes up lots of time. Lots of great games and other things have happened/released the past 2-3 years that PC and PSVR folks could play, but not Xbox folks.

By lots of time, I mean 10-15 min should be enough.
See though, in order to hype up Xbox VR they would need to make their first-party game for it, and I doubt porting Halo Recruit to Xbox would cut it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They should mention VR but have a VR focused event later on. I do agree it needs to be shown off but VR is also pretty hard to show off unless you have everything setup correctly and I think MS would be in a good place if they had various headsets and shown off the compatibility.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See though, in order to hype up Xbox VR they would need to make their first-party game for it, and I doubt porting Halo Recruit to Xbox would cut it.

Maybe, but not sure. The first problem with marketing VR is that it is difficulty to market. The best way to make people interested in VR, is sadly, placing the headset on their head. :P

Fallon actually had a smart way of showing off Beat Saber when he and Brie played it:

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should mention VR but have a VR focused event later on. I do agree it needs to be shown off but VR is also pretty hard to show off unless you have everything setup correctly and I think MS would be in a good place if they had various headsets and shown off the compatibility.

That would be great, mention something about VR, maybe what Xbox thinks about it and their presser, but have an own VR showcase/thing later on at some point.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
I think those days are over. Too many good games out there vying for that time. Outside of the campaign if we get Destiny level of replayability and content without the upcharge I would be OK with that.
You say that like Destiny isn't one of the most ambitious service based games around that has an effectively endless content cycle to keep players playing with no end in sight.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Funny, I literally just posted a video on whether I think VR is worth it or not. VR is cool, and an experience I like, but unlike fantomena I dont think the biggest issue is that people have to try it first. Everybody that I have seen use VR is blown away up until they hear the price. On top of that there isnt many great games for it outside of Astrobot, and Beat Saber. There is several solid games like Moss, Firewall, and Ghost Giant, but there isnt a ton of games that you come away thinking its the best of its class. If youre use to consoles and PC getting a big AAA experience every few months, then PSVR its more or less mostly small games, and games that feel more like tech demos.

I think in order for many people to buy into PSVR or VR itself, you have to be aware that its in its infancy stage, and you are going to get several smaller titles. Its not the technology that is holding it back per say, but the games themselves. More games like Astrobot and Beat Saber, and then you have a product people will talk a lot about.

Feb 10, 2018
They have built VR tools, Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) is their VR system, they just have outsources it to other companies (HPs Reverb headset for example, Acer got one).

WMR is just not supported on Xbox, that's all.

If you talk about Gear VR, it's not the same as Rift/Quest/VIVE/WMR/Index much at all.

I meant they would have to tweak there windows tools for scarlett.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I mean, Ninja Theory has quite a bit of experience with VR, and Microsoft has a good relationship with a couple of studios that are either in to VR or about to get in to it. It's not completely off the wall that Microsoft would release some first or second party VR titles in the next few years. Combined with something like theater mode for traditional games it could work.

I don't really see Microsoft releasing their own headset, but it's possible they build Scarlett in such a way as to be compatible with at least Rift and-or Vive / Index. That's definitely a choice, and I could see a future where they do make it and a future where they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.