• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited for Gears 5 I kinda accidentally bought this today
20190526_230136.jpg
Thats a big accident lol :P

It didn't review bad, it's a 81 on metacritic according to Google
General opinion around the game is definitely not great.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Perfect Dark Zero not only sold really well for its time, but reviewed pretty well when it came out. It wasn't until years later that people started shitting on it and I never really understood why.

Core was canceled because the team was resigned to other stuff, presumably Kinect stuff. The Kinect came out and Microsoft tried to push it hard by getting their cleverest studios to make Kinect games and try to prove the virtues of the product.

It didn't go so well.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Dark Zero not only sold really well for its time, but reviewed pretty well when it came out. It wasn't until years later that people started shitting on it and I never really understood why.

Core was canceled because the team was resigned to other stuff, presumably Kinect stuff. The Kinect came out and Microsoft tried to push it hard by getting their cleverest studios to make Kinect games and try to prove the virtues of the product.

It didn't go so well.

Perfect dark zero was good. Original was better imo, but I liked pdz.

Kinect was the worst thing to happen to xbox long term.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
You're probably right. I may be underselling it.
Destiny may be divisive around here, but many devs would kill to have their player engagement and retention, including 343.

It didn't go so well.
It went okay for Rare, the Kinect Sports games moved over 10 million units.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I thought people were shitting on perfect dark zero ever since wall guy. It was a pretty poor showing on announcement.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Keep fighting the good fight and one day we might get the justice we deserve!

Banjo-Kazooie with next gen Pixar like graphics would be a good showcase for the next Xbox and quite frankly the kind of game that has been sorely lacking on Microsoft consoles for years.

I saw a clip a week back. I think it might have been an Unreal Engine 4 demo and it strongly reminded me of Alan Wake and what it could look like on next gen hardware and it was amazing.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I thought people were shitting on perfect dark zero ever since wall guy. It was a pretty poor showing on announcement.
I remember a lot of the wall guy stuff being console wars garbage. Like pic of wall guy vs pic of Killzone 2 CG trailer.

In the end, graphics for PD0 were pretty alright for a launch 360 game, it was the gameplay and level design that were a letdown.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Pardon me for jumping in, and for asking a question that might've been covered in the last few pages:

The recent 'leaks' of PD Core have me wondering if anything has leaked recently about a possible new PD title. I used to follow this thread more closely and recall some very suggestive rumblings about a new PD being worked on by a third party dev. It's long ago enough that I don't concretely remember the details, but I think it was Klobrille who found something, and it was believed that one potential developer was under the THQ/Deep Silver umbrella.

Has anything new beyond this come out? Do we still think a new PD is in dev? Thanks in advance.

Oct 26, 2018
Pardon me for jumping in, and for asking a question that might've been covered in the last few pages:

The recent 'leaks' of PD Core have me wondering if anything has leaked recently about a possible new PD title. I used to follow this thread more closely and recall some very suggestive rumblings about a new PD being worked on by a third party dev. It's long ago enough that I don't concretely remember the details, but I think it was Klobrille who found something, and it was believed that one potential developer was under the THQ/Deep Silver umbrella.

Has anything new beyond this come out? Do we still think a new PD is in dev? Thanks in advance.
A former member ( rip rumblebones) suggested it could be in development by blackbird interactive

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
And if anyone here is thinking/comparing VR to Kinect/Wii and stuff like that: you couldn't be more wrong. I own a Kinect, Wii, PSVR and Rift. Rift and PSVR is not comparable to Kinect/Wii at all.

I understand what you're trying to say, but the obvious snark here would be yeah, they're not comparable: Wii and Kinect both had significant market success on the order of 4-12x total VR sales and hundreds of millions of software units sold. The total VR market is still smaller than the Wii U.

I think MS should do what has been suggested - make WMR headsets compatible by default and let people release VR games on the Xbox platform, but don't dump a bunch of 1P resources into it until the market actually exists.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It would be really cool of Phil/Xbox announced at E3 that NextBox would support Valve Index and/or WMR HMDs. They don't even need to build their own VR headset, but just, somehow, make Index and/or WMR headsets compatible with the NextBox.
Contrary to what most people focus on, I think the biggest hurdle is convenience and money. No, not for the gamer - for the publishers and manufacturers. Xbox is in a great position where they can unite all the disparate companies in a way that they did with windows, BECAUSE Sony is the biggest player on the market. When Valve and Oculus thought they had a chance of owning the market all to themselves, they weren't willing to play nice. I think both now realize that setting up infrastructure in the house is not going to take off.

Hence: inside out tracking. And turns out, games are pretty compatible across WMR/Rift/Vive. With Quest, I think inside out will win and everything will move to that. So now what? Well two things: wires/performance and storefronts.

Wireless is presumably the future. Quest does this by being self contained. That wouldn't work with Xbox (or would it lol). So MS has to do the work to make porting PC to Xbox super easy, with or without wires and with minimal additional hardware.

Finally and MOST IMPORTANT: storefronts. This is where the money would be made. Oculus wants to sell their games to consumers. So does Steam. Well. Right now, they can't compete with the community that Playstation has. But what if they could tap into Xbox's for a piece of the pie? As in, Xbox pulls a steam/ubi arrangement. Games are sold through Xbox, but data and a portion of the profits go back to Oculus or Steam. I mean, Xbox could even just allow the storefronts to exist directly on the platform (but that seems shortsighted). All of a sudden, good guy MS has united most of VR, made it easy to get most of the games in one place, and expanded the viability for publishers and manufacturers by exponentially increasing the potential target area. Maybe they would be squeamish to allow competitors to pay games without exclusive hardware, but eh. That could be solved. And steam has no problem with it.

I mean, Ninja Theory has quite a bit of experience with VR, and Microsoft has a good relationship with a couple of studios that are either in to VR or about to get in to it. It's not completely off the wall that Microsoft would release some first or second party VR titles in the next few years. Combined with something like theater mode for traditional games it could work.

I don't really see Microsoft releasing their own headset, but it's possible they build Scarlett in such a way as to be compatible with at least Rift and-or Vive / Index. That's definitely a choice, and I could see a future where they do make it and a future where they don't.
Yea. InXile also released a very well received PSVR game recently didn't they?

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Contrary to what most people focus on, I think the biggest hurdle is convenience and money. No, not for the gamer - for the publishers and manufacturers. Xbox is in a great position where they can unite all the disparate companies in a way that they did with windows, BECAUSE Sony is the biggest player on the market. When Valve and Oculus thought they had a chance of owning the market all to themselves, they weren't willing to play nice. I think both now realize that setting up infrastructure in the house is not going to take off.

Hence: inside out tracking. And turns out, games are pretty compatible across WMR/Rift/Vive. With Quest, I think inside out will win and everything will move to that. So now what? Well two things: wires/performance and storefronts.

Wireless is presumably the future. Quest does this by being self contained. That wouldn't work with Xbox (or would it lol). So MS has to do the work to make porting PC to Xbox super easy, with or without wires and with minimal additional hardware.

Finally and MOST IMPORTANT: storefronts. This is where the money would be made. Oculus wants to sell their games to consumers. So does Steam. Well. Right now, they can't compete with the community that Playstation has. But what if they could tap into Xbox's for a piece of the pie? As in, Xbox pulls a steam/ubi arrangement. Games are sold through Xbox, but data and a portion of the profits go back to Oculus or Steam. I mean, Xbox could even just allow the storefronts to exist directly on the platform (but that seems shortsighted). All of a sudden, good guy MS has united most of VR, made it easy to get most of the games in one place, and expanded the viability for publishers and manufacturers by exponentially increasing the potential target area. Maybe they would be squeamish to allow competitors to pay games without exclusive hardware, but eh. That could be solved. And steam has no problem with it.

Yea. InXile also released a very well received PSVR game recently didn't they?
the-mages-tale.jpg

A Mage's Tale. PC & PSVR.
I'm not saying Microsoft couldn't make First-party VR games.
I'm saying they would have to dedicate an entire studio towards it though, like London Studio for PSVR/Eyetoy, or Rare for Kinect.
And since Xbox Game Studios only just recently feels like a complete development house, I'll hate to see them splinter off their efforts again into another peripheral.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we expecting Infinite to be shown at E3? If so I'm gonna lose it. It feels like it's been so long since 5. Still best MP shooter this gen. IMO

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
I think he means it isn't as big as it used to be. Halo used to be huge and an event when it came out.
I'd argue that most games are no longer considered events as much so as they use to be. Due to the increase in digital sales (minimizing midnight launch parties), much more competition in the market, and an overall evolving market. Just my two cents though.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It went okay for Rare, the Kinect Sports games moved over 10 million units.

You know what, that's a good point. Honestly Kinect Sports is probably a big part of how Sea of Thieves got to come out and Rare still exists today. From what I understand it was down to a coin flip whether Rare or Lionhead closed back in the darkest times.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
That was supposed to show that halo is still massive. That's probably about as fast as sony's Biggest games but on a system that's is a magnitude less popular. I don't think halo has faded at all. I just think that the 360 was a lot more popular and thus halo felt bigger.

I think mcc on pc(if all goes smoothly) is gunna show how big halo really is. I anticipate it could do 5 million copies. Maybe even more if it takes off with streamers.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
.... it's not even possible to argue that halo hasn't faded. I'm not sure there has since been an event in gaming as monumental as Halo 3's launch, the mindshare was just nuts.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You know what, that's a good point. Honestly Kinect Sports is probably a big part of how Sea of Thieves got to come out and Rare still exists today. From what I understand it was down to a coin flip whether Rare or Lionhead closed back in the darkest times.
Back when Lionhead closed I think Rare was definitely out of risk because as stated they came from a very lucrative run of games and the avatars themselves were their creation and made tons of money for Xbox.

I do think that in 2009, back when intervened on the studio that perhaps it was either: release profitable games or bust. It was after Nuts and Bolts failed to meet expectations of sales and mostly the fans outraged. Also Kameo and Pdz did sold well but only after it hit bargain price, so the money Rare got wasn't all that much.

I remember from interviews back then some of the stuff saying that they felt an huge disconnection with their audience and some of the changes Ms made to the studio was so they could test early and gauge the response, as well changes in the process so they could iterate on that feedback, which did help I think. All Rare games after that did very good regarding how well received they were by consumers.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
What I don't get is why Microsoft has Rare doing things like sea of thieves and not take advantage of those legendary IP's?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
What I don't get is why Microsoft has Rare doing things like sea of thieves and not take advantage of those legendary IP's?
That's the beauty of it. MS doesn't have Rare doing anything, they're doing what they want to do. MS and Rare are giving their IPs to other studios. Battletoads and Killer Instinct are examples of this.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
.... it's not even possible to argue that halo hasn't faded. I'm not sure there has since been an event in gaming as monumental as Halo 3's launch, the mindshare was just nuts.
I definitely believe the added PC community and Game Pass is going to the make Halo Infinite an event again. Same with Gears 5. That is as long as they're released on Steam.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft owns the IPs, and as long as they have interest, they can fund remakes / ports / sequels by other contract developers (Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Perfect Dark XBLA, Banjo-Kazooie XBLA).

Status
Not open for further replies.