• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Except that We Happy Few was in Game Preview on Xbox One for like a year before the acquisition was announced, and the acquisition was announced only a couple of months before the full release, and possibly wasn't even finalized until after the release. For perspective, Obsidians acquisition was announced publicly in November, but wasn't fully finalized until early January.

Sure, but the game is not published by Microsoft. So I don't think more time makes much difference.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of ruining surprise announcements, it's been one year since Chris Avellone's famous fight with Obsidian on the Rpgcodex forums and I went looking to see if he had any other far out contributions to the site since then and yeah he had an absolute whinge over them being sold to Microsoft and leaked the new game they're planning to make with Xbox —

cHJKv7R.png

Cn1EXt9.png

yIlhLwv.png

yzSSgDn.png

tl;dr It's a TES-like, maybe set in the Pillars of Eternity games, the rpgs Obsidian made on kickstarter.

I respect his writing skills, he's done a lot for the RPG genre. But the way he throws his weight around is embarrassing sometimes, I understand he's had issues with management, but keep it out of the public space man.. really unprofessional imo.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I respect his writing skills, he's done a lot for the RPG genre. But the way he throws his weight around is embarrassing sometimes, I understand he's had issues with management, but keep it out of the public space man.. really unprofessional imo.
Not to mention he's trying to get people riled up for the dumbest reasons. Do you really think that anyone at inXile cared or noticed that they mentioned them first and Obsidian second? He's just stirring up drama to stir up drama. I understand that he thinks he was wronged during his time at Obsidian, especially with how they handled his departure, but you lose all credibility when you try to stir up drama for drama's sake on an internet message board.

Apr 23, 2018
I would love a first person RPG by Obsidian. I just wonder how far along it is? Also who's directing it? They have so many talented creative directors they could easily work on three-four games at a time. Some being in preproduction and others in full development.

Apr 6, 2018
Speaking of ruining surprise announcements, it's been one year since Chris Avellone's famous fight with Obsidian on the Rpgcodex forums and I went looking to see if he had any other far out contributions to the site since then and yeah he had an absolute whinge over them being sold to Microsoft and leaked the new game they're planning to make with Xbox —

cHJKv7R.png

Cn1EXt9.png

yIlhLwv.png

yzSSgDn.png

tl;dr It's a TES-like, maybe set in the Pillars of Eternity games, the rpgs Obsidian made on kickstarter.
you may clarify what is talking about in the third picture? which "bridge" he's referring to? and what the hell is "eora"?

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
It's interesting to think about how Microsoft would handle juggling Fable, the Obsidian project, and a likely continuation of the Bard's Tale franchise if the Chris Avellone/Obsidian thing is true. Can (or maybe more appropriately, should) Microsoft effectively support three first-person, fantasy RPG series?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

cHJKv7R.png

Cn1EXt9.png

yIlhLwv.png

yzSSgDn.png

Pillars of Eternity world in with a Fallout New Vegas game design approach sounds damned amazing on paper.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
IMO Ms should go all out regarding existing IPs this E3.

Reveal Fable, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Conker, etc if they are actually making those and make the message for this e3 being the celebration of their properties with new super quality entries to make their consumers happy.

Then next year unleash the wagon on new IPs to show they are investing in creativity and that if you go Xbox next gen you are going to have the IPs you wanted the sequels for and new experiences to look forward to.

Of course some key titles can be juggled around so they announce at least one new IP this e3 to show they are investing in those despite leveraging their portfolio

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Sure, but the game is not published by Microsoft. So I don't think more time makes much difference.

Yeah, we'll see, more time is just more time to cut a deal. I do think, for most publishers, going to game pass within a few months of release is the best strategy, unless Microsoft has some special deal with them. It means they get new sales, and then right around when the fire dies down but not so soon that people who bought it feel cheated, they get a boost from game pass and get a bunch of new players.

And for what's its worth, Outer Worlds is releasing on the Windows Store in addition to the Epic store, which Microsoft owning Obsidian probably had something to do with that.

Oct 25, 2017

Reveal Fable, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Conker, etc if they are actually making those and make the message for this e3 being the celebration of their properties with new super quality entries to make their consumers happy.

Then next year unleash the wagon on new IPs to show they are investing in creativity and that if you go Xbox next gen you are going to have the IPs you wanted the sequels for and new experiences to look forward to.

Of course some key titles can be juggled around so they announce at least one new IP this e3 to show they are investing in those despite leveraging their portfolio

And zero news for E3 2020 ( New gen )?
Nope!

Apr 23, 2018
I think they can. Fable probably won't be out till the 2022-2024 timeframe. And Obsidians big First Person RPG might not come out till 2021-2023. I give them a earlier date because they are already a established studio and The Outer Worlds comes out this year so they have to work on something afterwards. Bards Tale seems more dungeon crawler to me and I would personally want a First Person Wasteland instead.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I would be so down for a Skyrim-alike set in the Pillars universe, and will now be deeply disappointed if it doesn't happen.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It would have way more impact and set the tone for next gen if you wait til next year and do it all at once at your next gen reveal blowout event. This year's E3 should be about closing the gen out strong for 2019-20. There is plenty of time before next gen without having to prematurely ejaculate. LOL

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I mean, Phil has stated again and again how important Xbox being a family and not just a single console. At least, that's how I interpreted it as. Definitely could be wrong, though, as I am often.

Xbox family, sure, but not Xbox One family, that implies something different. Spencer is only talking about the Xbox One family because that's what we have now, but that doesn't mean that the next Xbox is going to be a part of it.

Apr 6, 2018
I wanna see how the new studios under Microsoft's wings are doing before new acquisitions. If they end up doing only GAAS games then pls stay away from other studios.
GaaS is not a genre, is distribution and monetization category.
And GaaS side means that the game continues to evolve in time, how is this bad?
All these + Some Sea Of Thieves stuff (fingers crossed)
They will be at e3, in a smaller way but they will. be there. The real question is: at press conference or at the inside xbox show?
My hopes for Microsoft E3:
  1. Nothing about next-gen hardware.
  2. No next-gen title, so nothing about Fable, neither new games from first party studios.
  3. Every game shown during the conference will be available before Summer 2020.
  4. New first party studios.
  5. A complete redesign of the Windows Game Store, more Play Anywhere games and the official launch of Xbox Game Pass on PC. Since then, every game available on Xbox Game Pass on Xbox will also be available on PC.
Sony and google made their moves, it wil be unwise not taking profit of the relevance of e3 to shift the narrative and the attenction.
About fable, if it's a signifcant teaser like halo infinite I'm on, otherwise no.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I'm really curious when we'll see Gears Tactics. I'd see it come out during early 2020/ first half of 2020 and they'd start pushing the game after Gears 5 is out.

What they showed was right up my alley, even though i'm not fully into strategy games. Customizeable squads, turn-based, set during a period that we haven't seen fully fleshed out in a previous Gears game, ... I'm ready for it :D

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
All depends on the store and upcomcing PC changes and Gamepass etc. Only release Tactics until that is ready. Or just release it also on Steam and have easy sales.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All depends on the store and upcomcing PC changes and Gamepass etc. Only release Tactics until that is ready. Or just release it also on Steam and have easy sales.
MS should just release all their first party games on Steam the same day it releases on Xbox One, and Windows store and use PC Game Pass as an incentive for PC players to use their Windows store.

Last edited:

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017

I agree. I thin MS should go balls out and announce everything that will ship in the next 2 1/2 years. Some of the stuff will just be a title screen slide since it would be farther out, but just announcing the name of the game, a title screen and for games further along in the dev cycle a quick video. After all these years of Phil saying they are working on the 1st party games, it is time at this E3 to show all that work. I don't think they should announce or show anything that is 3+ years out, so the Initiative game would not be shown, but anything else they need to. With Sony out of the picture as far having a press event at E3, MS needs to show/prove that all the investments are showing fruit.
For E3 2020 they go more deep dive into the games shipping that year for the Scarlet launch and shortly after, with teaser stuff for 2021. While Halo & Gears 5 will be great to see, I think fans are wanting to see what all these new first party devs are working on that will be coming out in the next 2 years or so. Even if it just a title screen, I think that would go a long way. I always been a believer that you don't announce stuff that is to far out, but I think it is time MS goes out on a limb and show/announce stuff in development that will be out within 2 years or so.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Gears, I feel like at this point in time last year it was pretty well known that a gears tactic game was getting made and I was to be revealed at e3 amongst other things.

Things have been pretty quiet this year (or there won't be much new stuff to show)

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
And zero news for E3 2020 ( New gen )?
Nope!
they could easily get away with a title screen/cgi trailer, MS highest viewed exclusive of last E3 was infinite and I don't doubt it wouldn't be the star of this E3 no matter how good the other games they show. Just like Sony with the last of us and god of war, if say there bringing back legacy ip's (like battle toads) and announce a new conked with him fucking with Rares logo would make people lose their collective shits, and I garuntee they'd lose them all over again for the next E3's conked gameplay reveal. Same with perfect dark etc. I honestly say show what rare, playground, 343, and maybe obsidian and nt is working on, whatever other deals they have in order (heard a splinter cell exclusive rumor, most likely bs but still) and show what the rest of there devs are working on for the next Xbox. They have 13 studios now, they can show half or some of them and be fine with that alone. Think people are neglecting the fact that Ms is a potential new ip/legacy publishing making factory at this point, with MORE acquisitions on the way. I say they should blow there load this E3

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Coming out a year after Sony would be a complete disaster. Launching with a new Halo alone would be strong enough of a lineup for their new console

That was not really what I was trying to say. The argument is: The studio acquisitions probably needed to happen a year earlier, but they couldn't for obvious reasons that I stated above. Of course next gen will launch in 2020, but for Xbox and their first party studios a year later would have been much, much better.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they could easily get away with a title screen/cgi trailer, MS highest viewed exclusive of last E3 was infinite and I don't doubt it wouldn't be the star of this E3 no matter how good the other games they show. Just like Sony with the last of us and god of war, if say there bringing back legacy ip's (like battle toads) and announce a new conked with him fucking with Rares logo would make people lose their collective shits, and I garuntee they'd lose them all over again for the next E3's conked gameplay reveal. Same with perfect dark etc. I honestly say show what rare, playground, 343, and maybe obsidian and nt is working on, whatever other deals they have in order (heard a splinter cell exclusive rumor, most likely bs but still) and show what the rest of there devs are working on for the next Xbox. They have 13 studios now, they can show half or some of them and be fine with that alone. Think people are neglecting the fact that Ms is a potential new ip/legacy publishing making factory at this point, with MORE acquisitions on the way. I say they should blow there load this E3
I don't get why they can't wait and do it next year and capitalize on that hype and excitement when pre orders will be available for their next gen console that would also be releasing the same year.

Last edited:

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That was not really what I was trying to say. The argument is: The studio acquisitions probably needed to happen a year earlier, but they couldn't for obvious reasons that I stated above. Of course next gen will launch in 2020, but for Xbox and their first party studios a year later would have been much, much better.
I don't think so honestly. From the looks of things Halo and a new Forza will launch with the system...hopefully a new Killer Instinct as well. That is more than enough needed from first party at launch considering how much 3rd party will be ready at that time as well. They should also hold the title as most powerful system and previous gen games that will carry over like Sea of Thieves will benefit from the boost in power as well. This all leads to a powerfully strong year 2 with their newly acquired studios...to me this couldn't have worked out any better

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I agree. I thin MS should go balls out and announce everything that will ship in the next 2 1/2 years. Some of the stuff will just be a title screen slide since it would be farther out, but just announcing the name of the game, a title screen and for games further along in the dev cycle a quick video. After all these years of Phil saying they are working on the 1st party games, it is time at this E3 to show all that work. I don't think they should announce or show anything that is 3+ years out, so the Initiative game would not be shown, but anything else they need to. With Sony out of the picture as far having a press event at E3, MS needs to show/prove that all the investments are showing fruit.
For E3 2020 they go more deep dive into the games shipping that year for the Scarlet launch and shortly after, with teaser stuff for 2021. While Halo & Gears 5 will be great to see, I think fans are wanting to see what all these new first party devs are working on that will be coming out in the next 2 years or so. Even if it just a title screen, I think that would go a long way. I always been a believer that you don't announce stuff that is to far out, but I think it is time MS goes out on a limb and show/announce stuff in development that will be out within 2 years or so.
Announce their entire lineup for the next 2.5 years at E3? So potentially 3 years of knowing their entire lineup? No thanks. I didn't like it when Sony did it and I won't like it if Microsoft does it either.

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
I'm surprised no one has brought up AOE4 potentially being shown at the PC Gaming Show.

What do you all think Xbox's presence will look like during their conference this year? Will Game Pass (PC) be formally announced there?

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018

Sadly, they wont and you know it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so honestly. From the looks of things Halo and a new Forza will launch with the system...hopefully a new Killer Instinct as well. That is more than enough needed from first party at launch considering how much 3rd party will be ready at that time as well. They should also hold the title as most powerful system and previous gen games that will carry over like Sea of Thieves will benefit from the boost in power as well. This all leads to a powerfully strong year 2 with their newly acquired studios...to me this couldn't have worked out any better
Plus all the OG Xbox and 360 BC titles along with ones that have been X enhanced at launch and will continue to grow.
Announce their entire lineup for the next 2.5 years at E3? So potentially 3 years of knowing their entire lineup? No thanks. I didn't like it when Sony did it and I won't like it if Microsoft does it either.
Not to mention doing it when you have no competition is the worst time to do it when you've already "won" by default.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Had Gold until 7/14/2021 thanks to free codes I've had sitting in my inbox. Had Game Pass until 6/7/19 so was kinda bummed it was going to run out. Spent the $1 as insider to upgrade to Ultimate, and now I have that until 9/6/2021...amazing!

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Had Gold until 7/14/2021 thanks to free codes I've had sitting in my inbox. Had Game Pass until 6/7/19 so was kinda bummed it was going to run out. Spent the $1 as insider to upgrade to Ultimate, and now I have that until 9/6/2021...amazing!
I'm wondering if it will work this way once it goes public, too. I mean, if I've got no Pass but my Gold expires in June 2020, when I buy 1 year of Ultimate it will add to Gold going from today through June 2021, gifting me of one free year of Pass? This would be awesome... but I doubt it will work this way.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm wondering if it will work this way once it goes public, too. I mean, if I've got no Pass but my Gold expires in June 2020, when I buy 1 year of Ultimate it will add to Gold going from today through June 2021, gifting me of one free year of Pass? This would be awesome... but I doubt it will work this way.

I don't think it will work that way when public. I read the FAQ, which mentioned this being a special offer to Insiders for testing out Ultimate.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I'm surprised no one has brought up AOE4 potentially being shown at the PC Gaming Show.

What do you all think Xbox's presence will look like during their conference this year? Will Game Pass (PC) be formally announced there?

I think theyll announce the new store and Windows Game Pass in their conference but deep dive them the next day in the PC conference, same with MCC rollout dates/flight programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.