• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Minecraft earth is cool and all, but where is my Viva Piñata mobile AR game?

*I said this as a joke originally but the more I think about it the more I realize I'm all about this.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the people at MS must be really happy with how the Minecraft acquisition has turned out. So far, they're handling the franchise really well and hopefully there's no end to that. :D
With Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft Earth its going to continue the money making machine.

I would expect other spinoffs as well, but Ive always thought Minecart would be cool personally. It could be Xbox's Mario kart with Xbox mascots. Or they could just revive Rare's kart racer.

Well, either way, there is Crash Team Racing next month, so at least there will be a good Kart racer on Xbox soon.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Minecraft Dungeons and Minecraft Earth its going to continue the money making machine.

I would expect other spinoffs as well, but Ive always thought Minecart would be cool personally. It could be Xbox's Mario kart with Xbox mascots. Or they could just revive Rare's kart racer.

Well, either way, there is Crash Team Racing next month, so at least there will be a good Kart racer on Xbox soon.

Minekart makes too much sense. The game's visual style is rich enough to have a decent amount of biomes to race in. Allow people to customize their karts with blocks (maybe keep it cosmetic to keep it simple). Maybe even a track editor with Minecraft's editor. Microsoft is sitting on a goldmine and so far they are using it well: smart spin-offs but without falling into the Guitar Hero trap of abusing the franchise with too many games in too little time. Hopefully a kart racer will arrive too, as that's a genre Microsoft has absolutely nothing (first party, anyway).

Apr 6, 2018

IMHO there are so many options:
an xcom like using blocks as cover
tower defense
an rts focused in build your base(like stronghold)
It could work even for a gears like game

IDK about a kart game, but if you could build phishical pieces of the track or obstacles, or smashing ones, could be a blast

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've always thought Minecraft could be used with MS IP or other licensed IP the same way Lego does. You could have a Minecraft Halo or Gears that's much sillier in tone and could be played by everybody with the Minecraft aesthetic.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Now change Minecraft to Mojang on the Xbox Game Studio site and we are all good MS. So odd to see that always haha.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought Minecraft could be used with MS IP or other licensed IP the same way Lego does. You could have a Minecraft Halo or Gears that's much sillier in tone and could be played by everybody with the Minecraft aesthetic.

And unlike with the LEGO games or that Mega Bloks thing they were working on some time ago, their Minecraft license would be in-house, thus free. They'd have no licensing fees associated with a Minecraft Halo, for example, and then they could make shittons of money with the Minecraft-style Master Chief figurines or the Halo Minecraft playing blocks. I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened yet, in fact.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And unlike with the LEGO games or that Mega Bloks thing they were working on some time ago, their Minecraft license would be in-house, thus free. They'd have no licensing fees associated with a Minecraft Halo, for example, and then they could make shittons of money with the Minecraft-style Master Chief figurines or the Halo Minecraft playing blocks. I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened yet, in fact.
Minecraft Forza could be their Forza Kart with all of the MS IP characters done in the Minecraft aesthetic.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft Forza could be their Forza Kart with all of the MS IP characters done in the Minecraft aesthetic.

I'm curious to see the Sonic Racing and the Crash Team Racing sales. While the latter will be booster by the nostalgia-factor and the former is a Sonic game so it's gonna sell regardless, it will show how much a solid triple-A kart racer can do this generation, even when it isn't called Mario Kart. That's one genre I really want Microsoft to tackle, as they nailed the arcade driving in so many exclusives throughout the generations, so this does kinda sound like a no-brainer.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
tower defense

IDK about a kart game, but if you could build phishical pieces of the track or obstacles, or smashing ones, could be a blast

Of all the Minecraft spin offs, I feel like a cart racer makes the most sense. An RTS or a cover based shooter could be cool, but they'd feel a little odd to me, and there's games like that that already exist, not that there aren't other cart racers.

Plus, there's already minecraft skins for a lot of Xbox franchises, so the roster wouldn't even be that much of a stretch. And the minecraft style seems like the only way I'd be able to not feel weird about seeing Master Chief and Joanna Dark racing along side Banjo and General Raam.

It'd also make for a pretty cool, forge style level editor. And one of the power ups could be a giant diamond pick axe that straight just cuts a hole in the walls of the level that's there for the rest of the race. And you could race through minecraft versions of levels from Xbox games. Minecraft Library, Minecraft Viva Piñata farm, minecraft swan boat thing from Lost Odyssey.

It doesn't have to happen, not every platform needs a Mariokart, but it could happen.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Kart Racing games, Sonic Team Racing is out, and it actually looks really good. Still not on board with the Team based stuff being the main draw, but it really does look good. The reason im bringing it up is because I feel like its going to struggle with Crash Team Racing around the corner, and since Sumo Digital already has experience with Game Pass, i feel like this will be a great fit for Game Pass.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I actually think that may be the plan and Minecraft Dungeons is just the first off those games. They'll eventually apply the same engine changes they made to Minecraft for Dungeons to other franchises. Someone else here had the idea that Microsoft should make a Kingdom Hearts-style game with their own franchises. That should absolutely be a Minecraft game (with first-person shooting in the Halo world, third-person shooting in the Gears world, racing in the Forza world, etc.) and eventually tie those new systems and art back to the core game.

One of my wildcard ideas for my predictions posts is that the new Forza Horizon 4 expansion is a Minecraft expansion where it's a Minecraft world (with the same boxy art) that you drive through in out-of-place, modern-looking Forza cars.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually think that may be the plan and Minecraft Dungeons is just the first off those games. They'll eventually apply the same engine changes they made to Minecraft for Dungeons to other franchises. Someone else here had the idea that Microsoft should make a Kingdom Hearts-style game with their own franchises. That should absolutely be a Minecraft game (with first-person shooting in the Halo world, third-person shooting in the Gears world, racing in the Forza world, etc.) and eventually tie those new systems and art back to the core game.

One of my wildcard ideas for my predictions posts is that the new Forza Horizon 4 expansion is a Minecraft expansion where it's a Minecraft world (with the same boxy art) that you drive through in out-of-place, modern-looking Forza cars.
The Minecraft Kingdom Hearts style game would be a good way they can bring Banjo and Conker and other forgotten Rare characters.

Apr 23, 2018
tower defense

I always thought they could bring back Minecraft Story Mode. If I remember correctly that was the only game besides the first season of the walking dead that made a profit for Telltale so there's obviously a audience for it and Microsoft owns the Minecraft IP so I imagine there wouldn't be any issues with starting it up again.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
It'll be interesting to see if kids would rather play Minecraft Pocket Edition or Minecraft Earth when it drops. Or Fortnite.

Dusk22

Dec 4, 2017
Denver

Love the wildcard idea. I skipped FH4 due to time and money. But I'd gladly pick it up with a Minecraft expansion.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
Would absolutely love a kart racing game by Rare with their all-star cast of characters. They would also have access to other fun characters through Xbox, maybe the likes of Blinx, Cuphead, Lucky, Ori, Unggoy (grunts in halo), Voodoo Vince and Minecraft? Would also be a great way of keeping these characters relevant and help to bring them back in their own future games.

Maybe even Nintendo could lend a character or stage as a sign of friendship! ;)

Feel this previous comment of mine is relevant to the current conversation :)

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia

Minecraft Halo is a thing in Minecraft already. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/minecraft-halo-mash-up/bz1m94jllg5l?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

In terms of toys they already have a deal with Megablocks to put out halo figures and I guess minecraft would be to close to that.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
So I just got a notice in my inbox from Stardock around a new upcoming release from them, "The Video Game Machine". https://www.stardock.com/games/thevideogamemachine/

They're describing it as a Game Making Game, although I'm not actually seeing the game part.

From looking at the details itself, it looks like they are basically making an entry level game engine that includes sharing and remixing over multiple genres. They're showing examples of platformers and Zelda-style adventure games already, stating "more genres to come".

From the examples around Platformers, it looks like they took many ease of use concepts from Mario Maker but also allowed you to make your own logic for numerous things. I'm not seeing this on any gaming news sites from a quick google, nor here, so I thought I'd post about it and gauge people's interests.

I've recently been learning and messing around with GDevelop 5 which is a free (and heavily approachable) game engine, so seeing more entry level-style game design tools is always interesting to me.

• For people who are actually big into Game Dev, does this have any appeal?
  • For people who are interested in game dev but haven't done it yet, would this make you finally take the leap?
  • For people who like Mario Maker, are you excited to be able to make your own Zelda-style games?
  • What other Genres would we hope for? (Give me enough control to add stats/leveling/etc so I can take the top-down adventure genre and make something like Terranigma, please)

Just passing along some info.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
So Forza is confirmed to be skipping a year, right? That means Forza Motorsport 8 will be a 2020 release and Forza Horizon 5 will be a 2021 release? Man I dunno if I can wait that long for a new Horizon game. I'm absolutely in love with Horizon 4 and I'm desperate for more lol.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Forza is confirmed to be skipping a year, right? That means Forza Motorsport 8 will be a 2020 release and Forza Horizon 5 will be a 2021 release? Man I dunno if I can wait that long for a new Horizon game. I'm absolutely in love with Horizon 4 and I'm desperate for more lol.
Well you're going to get more Horizon 4 this year with expansions.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018

DLC this fall.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nice! I hope they change it up like they did with the HotWheels expansion for Horizon 3.
I hope they release more DLC over the next 2 years too, to make up for the extra years gap.
Biggest FH expansion yet, "almost like a new game", from what I know based on a globally-known IP, can't verify though.

And I love pizza.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Biggest FH expansion yet, "almost like a new game", from what I know based on a globally-known IP, can't verify though.

And I love pizza.
Holy Shit, a Pizza Hut Expansion!

We finally get to race laps on stuff crust, dodging pepperoni oil puddles and leaving tracks through stretchy mozzarella!

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Feel this previous comment of mine is relevant to the current conversation :)

They were in the early stages of a new Kart Racing game back on the Xbox 360 actually. It featured characters from many of Rare's franchises such as Banjo, Sabreman, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Battletoads, etc. I believe it was called Banjo-Karting or Banjo-Kazoomie. Ultimately it became Nuts & Bolts.

EDIT: More info and concept art: https://www.unseen64.net/2012/01/08/banjo-karting-xbox-360-prototype/

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
No, I really just love pizza lol. Ask our Discord haha

They were in the early stages of a new Kart Racing game back on the Xbox 360 actually. It featured characters from many of Rare's franchises such as Banjo, Sabreman, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Battletoads, etc. I believe it was called Banjo-Karting or Banjo-Kazoomie. Ultimately it became Nuts & Bolts.

EDIT: More info and concept art: https://www.unseen64.net/2012/01/08/banjo-karting-xbox-360-prototype/
Oh man, I would've loved to see that.

Last edited:

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe

giphy.gif

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
IP as in an entertainment IP?
I was expecting and Isle Of Man type island with motorbikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.