• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
The next OT name is hiding there somewhere.
so true. Lol.
I honestly do not know what people expected of the show. Everything on the software side seemed to indicate that Microsoft was preparing mainly for next generation after the purchases they had made over the last year. It was not my expectation that they would go out of their way to announce new AAA experiences, I did not even expect that they would announce new IP. But they did with games like Bleeding Edge or the new Flight Sim, and they also showed that they were willing to partner with smaller developers to bring games in day one on Game Pass.

Anything else that they are doing is going to come as they begin to peel back the layers and start showing what they have planned for the next generation. That is when we will see what Microsoft Global Publishing has been up to, gameplay feed from Halo Infinite and what some of their vast internal studios are up to going forward. For me, it was the best show from any of the platform holders, and some never even bothered to show up.......that is an indictment of where we are in the console cycle.
This. it was a very good show. can't wait for XO19 and the main event aka E3 2020.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Best show of E3 2019? Can't argue with that, but still it was quite dull. Which, as you said, was expected at the end of the generation. I have no issue with that. The thing is some people who claim to be close to Microsoft hyped unreasonable expectations.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but all the buzz form those insiders before E3 made an impression that Microsoft will go all guns blazing. Just to mention new AAA Banjo game. In the end the show was medicore at best.

It was silly to think that they would show everything because Sony wasn't turning up and with next gen over a year away.

It was obvious that they would hold out on showing everything, when they have a new console to reveal next e3. I am expecting much more next year.

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
Why would Xbox blow their load for the launch of Scarlett? They have to space out releases. Don't set your expectations unreasonably high. E3 2021 is far more likely for a big showing. Though, to be fair, a number of their studios are only in the early stages of new projects. It's quite possible that E3 2022 is logically where we'll get the megatons. I'd hold out for that conference to be safe.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Oh that sounds a bit like the Counter-Strike system. Could work great with the Gears sandbox.

Yep, i do think that the Gnasher could end up like the AK47/M4 where that's the main weapon of choice.
However, a system like this definitely sounds like a refreshing experience for Gears MP. I guess we'll hear more about it in the upcoming weeks :)

FAE64FAA20CE5CECB860CF52EB5625EA9D8EA912

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Any London peoples heading to the new Oxford Circus MS store over the next day or two? Think it opens tomorrow.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I'm most excited about one of the less heralded MS developments, their own Remote Play.

Sony's is so underwhelming that I have only used it once, on my Vita. But since the Vita is a button mapping disaster and I hate iphones, I've never used it really.

I hope console streaming allows me to quickly hook up my Note 8 phone to Gamepass on day 1. I've got a 3rd party controller already and I hope MS have universal controller compatibility to make this work.

Because I'm always likely to have an xbox console, the October release will essentially do everything I'll ever need from x-cloud. So for me x-cloud is basically launching in full in October. it's why I haven't signed up to stadia because I'll get the same functionality just as quickly from a console and eco-system I already own. I have also started buying games on xbox again instead of my PS4 based on this october. I've been holding out Odyssey because i know it runs better or my PS4 but will likely buy it on xbox simply because of this feature.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Jesus nobody is saying they should have shown all their next gen projects. How do you not show Gears? A Gears 5 reveal like they did with 4 have been great starting with the Skiff. From a first party perspective it was worse then last year which had Horizon 4 steal the show. And these fanboys on Twitter kept using language like megatons.

Last edited:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone working on an OT for the Gears tech test?

I need some Era vets to play with as my friends list is pretty inactive these days outside of Sea of Thieves and Destiny.

Deleted member 19924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus nobody is saying they should have shown all their next gen projects. How do you not show Hears? A Hears 4 reveal like demonwould have been great starting with the Skiff. From a first party perspective it was worse then last year which had Horizon 4 steal the show. And these fanboys on Twitter kept using language like megatons.
Agreed, the least I was expecting was a meaty, respectable look at Gears 5's campaign and a Halo Infinite trailer with snippets of gameplay. The conference was mediocre at best.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think my E3 prediction was not too bad :)

D6jrC-zWwAAnx5-

That said, I think most people were pretty clear in their wording that it always was E3 2020 which will be important. E3 19 was just too early for most of the XGS studios.

However, this by no means translates to E3 being a bad show or anything. On the contrary I think it was a solid show - with expectations being too high (like always to be honest ...), despite various people reminding you that they won't show their big guns - including PG#2, Ninja Theory SP game, Rare etc. - this year. There were more than enough posts here reminding everyone that it doesn't make too much sense to blow all your stuff this year, when in reality it's the next year where people will make their purchase decisions for next-gen.

34 games launching into Game Pass day and date - including anticipated games like Gears 5 UE, The Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, Blair Witch or Psychonauts 2 - was an impressive statement though.

Last edited:

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I'm really glad they're keeping quiet on Gears 5 campaign. I feel they're going to hit it out of the park in ways we're not going to expect. It's really a sense of wonder and mystery on what to expect. Just seeing we are going to jungles, frozen, desert, urban landscapes with 20x larger SP maps gets me shaking with excitement

And not to forget that 4k 60fps HDR graphical quality of taking full advantage of the X on my new tv is going to be gobsmacking good

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any London peoples heading to the new Oxford Circus MS store over the next day or two? Think it opens tomorrow.

I was supposed to go down to London for some meetings between the 17th to the 19th but these are happening in Glasgow now!

I'll be down in London between the 5th to 7th of July so I'll check it out then but I'll miss all the goodies and freebies :(

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad they're keeping quiet on Gears 5 campaign. I feel they're going to hit it out of the park in ways we're not going to expect. It's really a sense of wonder and mystery on what to expect. Just seeing we are going to jungles, frozen, desert, urban landscapes with 20x larger SP maps gets me shaking with excitement

And not to forget that 4k 60fps HDR graphical quality of taking full advantage of the X on my new tv is going to be gobsmacking good

For me, the bolded is exactly the opposite of what I want from a Gears game. I hope the open maps is limited to a HUB or something, not the actual missions we go on. Gears 4 went back to the small and close quarter encounters I love about Gears, whereas 3 went a lot more open and didn't feel as great to me.

Also I don't buy any excuse as to why they didn't show a demonstration of campaign. It was a dumb decision and makes absolutely no sense, especially considering they aren't showing anything on campaign before launch. They showed snippets a stuff last year sure, but that was not nearly enough.

At least the tech test is coming up.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I thought the show was great. *shrug*
Which is fair. It was somewhere between great and solid imo.

There is a lot of hyperbole going on here, mainly driven by insanely unrealistic expectations - like every year. Showing 60 games and launching 34 of these on Game Pass is a bold statement on its own already (yes, even with indies). 14 games by first-party studios on stage is a record, too. Can't deny hard numbers I guess :)

There were truly people who believed they will show Fable even until the last second - despite me, others and even PG themselves(!) saying it is too early. Can't help these people, sorry.

Last edited:

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'm most excited about one of the less heralded MS developments, their own Remote Play.

Sony's is so underwhelming that I have only used it once, on my Vita. But since the Vita is a button mapping disaster and I hate iphones, I've never used it really.

I hope console streaming allows me to quickly hook up my Note 8 phone to Gamepass on day 1. I've got a 3rd party controller already and I hope MS have universal controller compatibility to make this work.

Because I'm always likely to have an xbox console, the October release will essentially do everything I'll ever need from x-cloud. So for me x-cloud is basically launching in full in October. it's why I haven't signed up to stadia because I'll get the same functionality just as quickly from a console and eco-system I already own. I have also started buying games on xbox again instead of my PS4 based on this october. I've been holding out Odyssey because i know it runs better or my PS4 but will likely buy it on xbox simply because of this feature.

This is where those controllers for phones and tablets come in. Really hope to have a decent Xbox Controller option for my phone soon. I'd use Remote play on either system if there was a good input for it. To me it doesn't even matter if there's lag or latency. I would be happy playing Persona 5, Battle Chasers, or Xcom on Xbox or PS4 with latency. Biggest issue with gaming on phones is inputs.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the show was great. *shrug*

I thought it was great. It would have been downright amazing if I knew nothing beforehand (Bloober's game was known but not that it's Blair Witch, all the Game Pass PC and Ultimate details were out there already, Bleeding Edge leaked, LEGO Star Wars was known, the FROM game leaked already, etc.), but even as it was it was impressive. Very meaty, tons of first parties, third parties and quality indies, and it proved that I did the right thing when I've put down a bigger sum of money for a lengthy Game Pass subscription instead of going in month by month.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

There is a lot of hyperbole going on here, mainly driven by insanely unrealistic expectations - like every year. Showing 60 games and launching 34 of these on Game Pass is a bold statement on its own already (yes, even with indies). 14 games by first-party studios on stage is a record, too. Can't deny hard numbers I guess :)

There were truly people who believed they will show Fable - despite me, others and even PG themselves(!) saying it is too early. Can't help these people, sorry.

Numbers don't automatically make a great show.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Well, I personally thought they might very well show Fable until the last second but it isn't something to be disappointed over when it doesn't show. The only thing that was a detractor for me in the entire show was Gears 5's showing.

I thought it was great. It would have been downright amazing if I knew nothing beforehand (Bloober's game was known but not that it's Blair Witch, all the Game Pass PC and Ultimate details were out there already, Bleeding Edge leaked, LEGO Star Wars was known, the FROM game leaked already, etc.), but even as it was it was impressive. Very meaty, tons of first parties, third parties and quality indies, and it proved that I did the right thing when I've put down a bigger sum of money for a lengthy Game Pass subscription instead of going in month by month.

Yeah, the leaks definitely took some of the wind out of the sails for me. BE and From's game especially.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

There were truly people who believed they will show Fable even until the last second - despite me, others and even PG themselves(!) saying it is too early. Can't help these people, sorry.

I think perception of these shows is driven by the marquee exclusives. For this show, that was Gears, Halo and Bleeding Edge. If Bleeding Edge wasn't leaked and they had shown Gears better, perception would be quite different. If Gears campaign was shown and it blew people away, I think a lot of people would've given the conference an 8 or so.

Speaking just for myself, the Gears showing was what I was most excited to see and found it's showing to leave a stink over an otherwise decent E3. Hopefully when we play it in a couple months, we'll understand the secrecy, be blown away and say Rod was playing 4D chess in terms of marketing.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Numbers don't automatically make a great show.
Never said that. However, showing games is what E3 should be about. And simple numbers prove that. As well do they prove commitment. Even more so if most of them will be included in the subscription service they are going with at zero additional costs.
I'm not saying all of these games will turn out to be bombastic experiences (no one can make that call) - but there is also no reason to deny that the show included a ton of potentially really great games (and with Cyberpunk 2077, Halo Infinite or Ori and The Will of The Wisps even three potential candidates for GotY lists imo).

Last edited:

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Sony showing games 5 years ahead of time is the reason why many thought MS "finally" would take a page from them.

Let's step it back. Even Nintendo just showing Metroid logo killed the internet.

IF Fable is indeed in development.. a nice logo would have quench the thirst for many here.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I do think the wording with releasing "first" is strange though. Usually we would know a bit more about timed exclusivity if another platform is being planned, like with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Maybe it's just additional pressure in these cases because more people own a PS4 than Xbox One. FF7R seems to be a case like with the Crash Bandicoot remake, this one was never mentioned as coming to other platforms. Similarily, RDR2 marketing deal with Sony never let the Xbox One hardware power shine in the way it should have. This stuff is part of the business but always makes me so tired...

Status
Not open for further replies.