• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2018
I think my E3 prediction was not too bad :)

D6jrC-zWwAAnx5-

That said, I think most people were pretty clear in their wording that it always was E3 2020 which will be important. E3 19 was just too early for most of the XGS studios.

However, this by no means translates to E3 being a bad show or anything. On the contrary I think it was a solid show - with expectations being too high (like always to be honest ...), despite various people reminding you that they won't show their big guns - including PG#2, Ninja Theory SP game, Rare etc. - this year. There were more than enough posts here reminding everyone that it doesn't make too much sense to blow all your stuff this year, when in reality it's the next year where people will make their purchase decisions for next-gen.

34 games launching into Game Pass day and date - including anticipated games like Gears 5 UE, The Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, Blair Witch or Psychonauts 2 - was an impressive statement though.

The more I watch it and the reactions now, feel like I overreacted and considered it really average. I would give it a 7.

2 Biggest issues still:

1. Lack of Gameplay
2. Proper Editing and pacing (Outer Worlds is not the game I would have started E3 with)

They had the wow factor with Keanu Reeves and genuine surprises with Double Fine, Flight Simulator and Phantasy Star Online, Elden Ring would have been a wow moment without the leaks)

Biggest Disappointments:

1. Gears 5 showing
2. Project Scarlett( Trailer was too similar to Scorpio and talking points were counters to Sony's reveals)

Aug 26, 2018
I think my E3 prediction was not too bad :)

D6jrC-zWwAAnx5-

That said, I think most people were pretty clear in their wording that it always was E3 2020 which will be important. E3 19 was just too early for most of the XGS studios.

However, this by no means translates to E3 being a bad show or anything. On the contrary I think it was a solid show - with expectations being too high (like always to be honest ...), despite various people reminding you that they won't show their big guns - including PG#2, Ninja Theory SP game, Rare etc. - this year. There were more than enough posts here reminding everyone that it doesn't make too much sense to blow all your stuff this year, when in reality it's the next year where people will make their purchase decisions for next-gen.

34 games launching into Game Pass day and date - including anticipated games like Gears 5 UE, The Outer Worlds, Wasteland 3, Blair Witch or Psychonauts 2 - was an impressive statement though.

The more I watch it and the reactions now, feel like I overreacted and considered it really average. I would give it a 7.

2 Biggest issues still:

1. Lack of Gameplay
2. Proper Editing and pacing (Outer Worlds is not the game I would have started E3 with)

They had the wow factor with Keanu Reeves and genuine surprises with Double Fine, Flight Simulator and Phantasy Star Online, Elden Ring would have been a wow moment without the leaks)

Biggest Disappointments:

1. Gears 5 showing
2. Project Scarlett( Trailer was too similar to Scorpio and talking points were counters to Sony's reveals)

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Sony showing games 5 years ahead of time is the reason why many thought MS "finally" would take a page from them.

Let's step it back. Even Nintendo just showing Metroid logo killed the internet.

IF Fable is indeed in development.. a nice logo would have quench the thirst for many here.
Yea...and that's the problem...people here are always thirsty. They always want more. I've always said that I don't want games to be shown until it's 12-18mo from release at max. You can surprise each year with more content if you take the shorter time to release and announcement road. Especially at a time when MS is trying to be a "Netflix" type of platform. No need to show things years and years in advance...just because your competitors do it. But MS has announced Age4/Infinite years in advance...and see, it does nothing. Fable wouldn't have moved the needle either. People in this place always want more so it won't matter. Releasing great games does...at the end of the day.

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
Sony showing games 5 years ahead of time is the reason why many thought MS "finally" would take a page from them.

Let's step it back. Even Nintendo just showing Metroid logo killed the internet.

IF Fable is indeed in development.. a nice logo would have quench the thirst for many here.
showing a game five years ahead of time makes no difference to anything....in fact its more sensible showing games when the concepts are grounded and it is in its final stages of development....isnt it sensible not to hear that games are postponed over and over again?...yes it is and it makes absolutely no sense for microsoft to do what sony is doing..am glad they didn't go down that road

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Yea...and that's the problem...people here are always thirsty. They always want more. I've always said that I don't want games to be shown until it's 12-18mo from release at max. You can surprise each year with more content if you take the shorter time to release and announcement road. Especially at a time when MS is trying to be a "Netflix" type of platform. No need to show things years and years in advance...just because your competitors do it. But MS has announced Age4/Infinite years in advance...and see, it does nothing. Fable wouldn't have moved the needle either. People in this place always want more so it won't matter. Releasing great games does...at the end of the day.

I think people definitely understand that it take years to make games, and they generally still want games to be announced closer to release.

That said, I guess people are just disappointed that in MS's grand plan, they're only going to release 3 games this year and write off 2019 as a warm-up period.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people definitely understand that it take years to make games, and they generally still want games to be announced closer to release.

That said, I guess people just disappointed that in MS's grand plan, they're only going to release 3 games this year and write off 2019 as a warm-up period.

Releasing three games from first party and fuck knows how many dozens of titles through Game Pass.....

Jan 17, 2019
Why would Xbox blow their load for the launch of Scarlett? They have to space out releases. Don't set your expectations unreasonably high. E3 2021 is far more likely for a big showing. Though, to be fair, a number of their studios are only in the early stages of new projects. It's quite possible that E3 2022 is logically where we'll get the megatons. I'd hold out for that conference to be safe.

Yet you set your unreasonably expectations high for big show in 2021 and all the megatons for E3 2022.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Those are Facts too
If MS showed a Fable logo... and that's it........many here would be like

"thats it??? Are you effing kidding MS"

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Those are Facts too
If MS showed a Fable logo... and that's it........many here would be like

"thats it??? Are you effing kidding MS"
Pretty much. Especially since we already know that it's coming...it literally does nothing but opens up questions to MS where they basically say "we'll talk more about it later"...just like Age 4. So it does nothing.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
The e3 in the preceding year of a new console generation has always been disappointing. I think even the upcoming X019 will be light in terms of newly announced games. I wouldn't expect much from Microsoft until the first quarter of next year when they have their console unveiling show, and then e3 2020 when they try to drum up interest for the launch of their console.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States

2 Biggest issues still:

1. Lack of Gameplay

Biggest Disappointments:

1. Gears 5 showing
Fair assessment, imo. It wasn't 2018 but it definitely wasn't some colossal fuck up, either.

This is not directed at you here, but it's okay to critique things without using so much hyperbole that it seems you are completely bashing it. When hyperbole is used in such a way, as with some posts about the conference I've seen, it takes away from the real criticisms that you might have. Like the ones you mention. I might not entirely agree with them but they are valid and should be discussed!

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Why would Xbox blow their load for the launch of Scarlett? They have to space out releases. Don't set your expectations unreasonably high. E3 2021 is far more likely for a big showing. Though, to be fair, a number of their studios are only in the early stages of new projects. It's quite possible that E3 2022 is logically where we'll get the megatons. I'd hold out for that conference to be safe.
Going by one of the post E3 interviews, Phil did say they held off some stuff for E3 2020 and it kinda makes sense since that's supposed to be the conference before they launch Scarlet. I expect other console makers will want to put on their best shows too...with the amount of studios they got now( and are planning to acquire soon) they should have a steady supply of 1P games next gen.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I mean, maybe, but that's assuming they have a logo. If it's a reboot, that might not exist yet. There are some symbols they could use, the guild seal or whatever, but what if they don't have an art style yet? Art style and image are gonna be a big part of this, bigger than Metroid probably, no one expects Nintendo to reinvent themselves, when they do it's incredible (see Breath of the Wild) but no one expects it.

Plus, Microsoft is a little... gun shy, about revealing things early. With good reason. Scalebound, Crackdown III, Fable Legends. They are in a good position, making a lot from services and building their base, and their new studios have freedom and support that they never had before. Why risk it by announcing things early that might change or might not work out? It's not like not announcing Fable is going to hurt it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really thought they couldn't outdo FH3 but they actually did in almost every way. Incredible developers!!

It looks markedly better than FH3 (predominantly because of the greatly improved lighting). I don't even know how they managed such a jump in such a short space of time. They must have squeezed every ounce of power from the system. If someone came around and I had to pick just two games to show off the graphical capabilities of the system, I'd pick RDR2 and FH4.

Can't wait to see what Playground Games muster for next gen, I'm sure it will blow us away. Hopefully their tech, tools, graphical prowess and knowledge bleeds into the other first party studios too.

Last edited:

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
With how FH3 and FH4 had dlc based on licensed properties.. what franchise/IP would you guys like to see from a potential Fable expansion pack?

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
With how FH3 and FH4 had dlc based on licensed properties.. what franchise/IP would you guys like to see from a potential Fable expansion pack?
I don't think there's much of a chance of that happening and I don't think that Playground is making Fable.

That being said, it's not very realistic, but the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles magically getting transported to Albion and bumping into the character would be incredible.

More realistically, the main character wandering into Smurf Village on a new part of the map and having to help the Smurfs stop Gargamel would be amazing.

The other obvious answers, in my opinion, are Peter Pan and Robin Hood, not necessarily in a new map, but appearing in the existing location. Honestly, both of those characters (or some facsimile of them) would be great for side quests in the main game.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I just want to mention, as far as I've seen, Klob hasn't really said anything about the tweet he made with the quote from Spencer about Japanese studios. Usually when we go crazy with speculation over something he just said or did that doesn't mean anything, he says something about it and encourages us to calm down.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws.

Okay I'm definitely grasping and straws.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm probably halfway through We Happy Few, maybe more and while there are good things, it has potential, there's also a lot of just plain bad things. For one the performance and the bugs. Plenty of framedrops and I've had weird quest glitches where I had to restart the game or where I see characters just sitting on a bench but instead of sitting on it they float on top of it.

This is not the kind of stuff I expect to see from a now Xbox studio. Of course they didn't have the resources from MS yet with this game so let's wait and see, but I expect polished and smooth games from Xbox exclusives, like Halo, like Forza, Gears etc. On the other hand, SoD2 didn't exactly release all that polished either. But they also weren't officially under MS/Xbox yet with that game, right?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That Arcade mode in Gears 5 sounds like the Battlefront 2 system where you can spend the points you earned in the match for a more powerful character.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I happen to like the idea of games not being presented until they are 12-18 months from release. If Microsoft sticks to this, it'll be a good cadence for promoting games.

I strongly disagree with the notion of showing games 3 years ahead of time...just because someone else is successful doing it. Sony has done this with very specific types of games. When your portfolio is all over the board and the cadence from reveal to launch is all over the board, it can lead to inconsistencies in messaging and only makes it harder on devs.

Microsoft's messaging and promotion is already a problem. Cleaning up the variables and shortening the hype window won't only help Xbox, it'll help their developers and it'll lead to consumers getting more of what they're expecting.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I happen to like the idea of games not being presented until they are 12-18 months from release. If Microsoft sticks to this, it'll be a good cadence for promoting games.

I strongly disagree with the notion of showing games 3 years ahead of time...just because someone else is successful doing it. Sony has done this with very specific types of games. When your portfolio is all over the board and the cadence from reveal to launch is all over the board, it can lead to inconsistencies in messaging and only makes it harder on devs.

Microsoft's messaging and promotion is already a problem. Cleaning up the variables and shortening the hype window won't only help Xbox, it'll help their developers and it'll lead to consumers getting more of what they're expecting.
I am all for the model that they have employed with the Forza series. Show a game at E3 and launch it months later. I hope that games that are shown in upcoming conferences will be launching after that E3 and before the next with the odd delay here and there.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

Can't really argue against it, FH4 is a beautiful game. Never thought I'd ever play a racing game again, let alone enjoy one, but here we are.

The positive experience I've had with FH4 makes me really excited for Flight Simulator. I know it's catered much more towards the sim crowd, but hopefully they throw some of us non-enthusiasts a bone and give us some Horizon-esque challenges.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

I strongly disagree with the notion of showing games 3 years ahead of time...

I'm fine either way now that they own a lot of studios. The problem before was if they didn't announce something way ahead of the release, you wouldn't know if they had made a partnership for a game. Maybe something was coming, maybe it wasn't, which sometimes lead to disppointments, when they chose to go too long without funding something.

Now they own the studios, so even if you don't know what they're up to specifically, it's a fair assumption that they're making games. That's a far cry from not knowing whether they'd cut a deal to do another game from the developers of Lost Odyssey, Sunset Overdrive, Crackdown or similar. It gives me much more confidence in the platform than before.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I'm absolutely loving all the improvements they've made to this game. This is how you make a great Gears sequel, improve on Gears' already spectacular gameplay.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"Some employees are playing the tech test. The tech test has an official club like most Xbox games where people can share their captured footage. "

So maybe someone can have a look? :)

Btw that second vid is from Arcade btw. It says also "purchase Gnasher"

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm probably halfway through We Happy Few, maybe more and while there are good things, it has potential, there's also a lot of just plain bad things. For one the performance and the bugs. Plenty of framedrops and I've had weird quest glitches where I had to restart the game or where I see characters just sitting on a bench but instead of sitting on it they float on top of it.

This is not the kind of stuff I expect to see from a now Xbox studio. Of course they didn't have the resources from MS yet with this game so let's wait and see, but I expect polished and smooth games from Xbox exclusives, like Halo, like Forza, Gears etc. On the other hand, SoD2 didn't exactly release all that polished either. But they also weren't officially under MS/Xbox yet with that game, right?

I still say I liked We Happy Few, but it honestly just gets harder and harder to play as it goes on. I think the characters and the story got progressively better but the game play got progressively worse and the bugs seemed worse. I haven't played the DLC yet but I've heard it's pretty good.

I think Compulsion has a ton of potential yeah, they just need Microsoft to do the same thing they did for Lionhead back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.