• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I am concerned, if Gamepass includes xCloud streaming from the cloud for no additional charge, that is as good as MS subsidizing it and giving it our for free. I see no difference to the consumer only in semantic arguments on forums. That's giving away xCloud for free.

So, I agree with Hudson. xCloud will be free.

And if that's the future of Xbox, they have me bound for a long long time.

Think about it. I'm buying the next Xbox, bringing with me everything I already own on X1 and the already compatible X360 and XB OG games with enhancements and performance boosts too. With Game Pass I get all of Microsoft's games day one and a huge selection of third parties and indies, some at launch and some a bit later. With xCloud included in Ultimate and probably regular Game Pass, I can keep on playing all of their games on my mobile when I'm not at my console, and a selection of them on PC as well natively through Game Pass PC and Play Anywhere.

The value proposition would be too ridiculous to not stick to Xbox.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
As far as I am concerned, if Gamepass includes xCloud streaming from the cloud for no additional charge, that is as good as MS subsidizing it and giving it our for free. I see no difference to the consumer only in semantic arguments on forums. That's giving away xCloud for free.

So, I agree with Hudson. xCloud will be free.
Free with subscription...lol.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
wd6baFT.jpg

xidn7yB.jpg

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I hear a lot of people talk about xcloud pricing. I still believe that it's going to be free and nothing more than a conduit for people to use the Xbox store or Xbox services like gold or gamepass.

Xbox pulls in more revenue per customer than PlayStation or Nintendo. So the more customers they are able to reach the money they will get. And the more you use their services the more money you will spend, so that means existing Xbox users that also use xcloud will be spending more money than they would if they went using Xbox as much.

Pricing it at 10$/month or so is an option but I think that will actually bring in less revenue than if it was free. Telling a customer to pay 10/month for xcloud and then telling them they also have to subscribe to live or gamepass will be a problem.

It being free will help with game sells a lot, and it would really help with gamepass. People who don't have an Xbox but want gamepass is like the line at the apple store. If it's free their sub numbers will skyrocket.

One reason I think it may not be free is just the language they've been using around local streaming. They talk about turning your Xbox One in to "your own personal, free X-Cloud server".

And along with that I saw an interview with, I think it was Kareem Choudhry but I'm not sure, I'll try to find it. In that, the interviewer asked "why would I want to use my Xbox as a server instead of a data center" and the person being interviewed responded "well for one it's free".

I know they haven't officially announced the price yet, and they're still figuring it out, but what I've seen and heard makes me think they're leaning towards charging. Probably just bundle it as part of Game Pass, that'd be the easiest sell I imagine.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Free with subscription...lol.
It's semantics. There is no difference. I have gone rounds with you over this multiple times and I am starting to realize we are saying the same thing but keep arguing over semantics. If you want to call xCloud through Gamepass at no additional charge MS monetizing xCloud, so be it. But, as you pointed out, Phil did say they plan to charge for it, so there is some sort of standalone service coming as well, it would seem.

Also, why do you use so many ellipses?

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

Look like CEO of Ready at Dawn has a positive opinion about independent studios being bought by big companies.

He recruits a lot, I think it will be a good duo with The initiative for Action / Adventure games at Xbox Game Studios http://www.readyatdawn.com/careers/

California Xbox Game Studios :

-The initiative - Action/Adventure
-Obsidian Entertainment - RPG Maker
-Inxile Entertainment - RPG Maker
-Ready At Dawn - Action/Adventure
-Double Fine Productions - Adventure/Plateformer

Klobrille Chances are low that MS bought this studio ?

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
🤔

I know they had been talked about as possible MS target before E3.

And if that's the future of Xbox, they have me bound for a long long time.

Think about it. I'm buying the next Xbox, bringing with me everything I already own on X1 and the already compatible X360 and XB OG games with enhancements and performance boosts too. With Game Pass I get all of Microsoft's games day one and a huge selection of third parties and indies, some at launch and some a bit later. With xCloud included in Ultimate and probably regular Game Pass, I can keep on playing all of their games on my mobile when I'm not at my console, and a selection of them on PC as well natively through Game Pass PC and Play Anywhere.

The value proposition would be too ridiculous to not stick to Xbox.
Which is why I think they try their hardest not to charge for it wherever possible. It can be a feather in their cap across all the Xbox ecosystem if they just subsidize it though other means, imo.

Phil has said they plan to charge for it, tho, so we'll see.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Look like CEO of Ready at Dawn has a positive opinion about independent studios being bought by big companies.

He recruits a lot, I think it will be a good duo with The initiative for Action / Adventure games at Xbox Game Studios http://www.readyatdawn.com/careers/

You have a timestamp?

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018

i think RAD already work for PS

We're currently creating games for both AAA console and virtual reality audiences,

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I'm playing My Time At Portia right now and there is no way in hell I'd have played it otherwise. I am also probably more forgiving and enjoying it more since it was effectively free.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'm playing My Time At Portia right now and there is no way in hell I'd have played it otherwise. I am also probably more forgiving and enjoying it more since it was effectively free.

About to give it a shot tonight as I do my monthly Game Pass Indie buffet binge to see what games I'll keep playing over the next month. Never on my radar but people are saying great things about it.

If you have GPU, go check out Timespinner on Xbox/PC. It's an interesting metroidvania.

...and this is another one. Sounds really good on paper and I love Metroidvanias.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
...and this is another one. Sounds really good on paper and I love Metroidvanias.

Just a heads up for Time Spinner, they do an awful job in the beginning of showing you that you can hang onto corners for movement. I almost stopped playing until I just happened to jump and grab a corner and was like oh, it would have been nice to know that 15 minutes ago.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently its self funded (the AAA console project), they also work with Oculus for their VR games. Then again there are a lot of different publishers out there, from 505 to Private Division. The AAA project is also in the early stages.

Last edited:

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Apparently its self funded (the AAA console project), they also work with Oculus for their VR games. Then again there are a lot of different publishers out there, from 505 to Private Division. The AAA project is also in the early stages.
well i don't know about this...

but they said Console and not Consoles...

and iirc Shinobi said they won't happening

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Why isn't Cuphead on gamepass :(

Loving Ori. Amazing art style and music. Best Xbox exclusive hands down

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
well i don't know about this...

but they said Console and not Consoles...

and iirc Shinobi said they won't happening
They have mentioned that one studio is focused on VR (Oculus), the other one is focused on the AAA project. I know about Shinobi shooting down the potential of an acquisition, but they might be a good target for MSGP. "Console" doesn't = one console brand.

Last edited:

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It's semantics. There is no difference. I have gone rounds with you over this multiple times and I am starting to realize we are saying the same thing but keep arguing over semantics. If you want to call xCloud through Gamepass at no additional charge MS monetizing xCloud, so be it. But, as you pointed out, Phil did say they plan to charge for it, so there is some sort of standalone service coming as well, it would seem.

Also, why do you use so many ellipses?
It's an important semantic. Would you say online gameplay is free just because it comes with a Gold subscription? I doubt it very much. So why say it's free in this hypothetical? Saying stuff like it's free will confuse people, especially on this forum.

Also, I use it because that's how my thought came off. :P

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It's an important semantic. Would you say online gameplay is free just because it comes with a Gold subscription? I doubt it very much. So why say it's free in this hypothetical? Saying stuff like it's free will confuse people, especially on this forum.

Also, I use it because that's how my thought came off. :P
I would say you are getting a lot for free with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and I would include Xbox Live Gold as part of that conversation, yes.

Saying xCloud will be free to the consumer and subsidized behind the scenes by MS is not a hard concept to grasp. I give people more credit than that. My meaning can be understood within that framing. This concept has been my belief from day one and it appears it is your belief as well, so arguing the semantics of it is worthless. We agree and we are arguing past each other.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm not sure if this has been posted but this looks interesting.

WCCFmicrosoftswitchcontrollerpatent2.jpg

WCCFmicrosoftswitchcontrollerpatent.jpg

This resurfaced recently but I'm pretty sure i saw it sometime last year. It's a cool idea. I already have something similar from Gamevice for my Pixel, it connects over USB C instead of Bluetooth so that's nice.

If Microsoft releases something like this I hope they try to support as many third party type devices as they can. Minecraft supports the one I have so I imagine XCloud will too

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

I think them being purchased by Sony or Oculus are more likely. But who knows?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I'm confused? What about that makes you think they work for Playstation? It says they're making games for both consoles, which is what most independents do, and it's what several of Xboxs recently acquired studios are still doing.

I'm fairly sure from what I've heard that Ready at Dawn isn't being acquired by Microsoft, but I also don't think they've been scooped up by Playstation yet.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been studying Sam Lakes facial expressions meticulously whilst they were discussing the pros and cons of staying independent or being acquired.

Conclusion: I dont think they will sign with Xbox. As for RaD, well that's a whole other story, that dude was pretty much open to offers by the sounds of things.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

nice. He speaks so highly of Tim too. That's really interesting. He also says most indie studios look up to/have a lot of respect for Tim and Double Fine.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly love to see Microsoft acquire Supermassive Games. They're currently committed to making 8 games in their "Dark Pictures" anthology and plan to do about 2 a year. I'd eat that shit up on Game Pass.

Why isn't Cuphead on gamepass :(

Loving Ori. Amazing art style and music. Best Xbox exclusive hands down

Just quoting you to say that you are correct. Ori is incredible.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Only if they're ready to grow to a AA or higher type studio. Mistwalker as a consulting studio seems pointless. Japanese wise I'd also pitch Silicon Studios, Matrix Software, and Tri-Crescsndo. All good studios that could use a chance to do their own thing and do it hard.

Honestly, at least for the North America and UK, I'm pretty okay if acquisitions are done. I think they're in a good place in the North America, maybe one more Canadian studio and one more UK studio to round it out, but otherwise I think they're set.

I'd rather see the new studios have a little time to grow and Microsoft save some dust and the next wave of acquisitions be either East Asia, Central Europe, South America or Scandinavia. I've said it before, my ideal is a few studios, even just two or three, in every region. I'm team 25 by 2025

tanky

Banned
Apr 2, 2019
It's not free if you pay for it. 😒

As for RAD, I wouldn't be surprised if they're tied up with Sony again for another game.

I have been studying Sam Lakes facial expressions meticulously whilst they were discussing the pros and cons of staying independent or being acquired.

Conclusion: I dont think they will sign with Xbox. As for RaD, well that's a whole other story, that dude was pretty much open to offers by the sounds of things.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one. When the woman from Obsidian was talking about the acquisition, Sam was making some strange faces, wasn't he?

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Only if they're ready to grow to a AA or higher type studio. Mistwalker as a consulting studio seems pointless. Japanese wise I'd also pitch Silicon Studios, Matrix Software, and Tri-Crescsndo. All good studios that could use a chance to do their own thing and do it hard.

Honestly, at least for the North America and UK, I'm pretty okay if acquisitions are done. I think they're in a good place in the North America, maybe one more Canadian studio and one more UK studio to round it out, but otherwise I think they're set.

I'd rather see the new studios have a little time to grow and Microsoft save some dust and the next wave of acquisitions be either East Asia, Central Europe, South America or Scandinavia. I've said it before, my ideal is a few studios, even just two or three, in every region. I'm team 25 by 2025
I don't care if they only bring the ideas and the consulting, I need my exclusive Xbox JRPG fix!

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't care if they only bring the ideas and the consulting, I need my exclusive Xbox JRPG fix!

I'm with you, I've been playing Lost Odyssey, and I'd love to see it get a proper franchise treatment, Final Fantasy style. The game it's self has plenty of problems, but there's cool ideas and it's 12 years old.

But if Mistwalker wants to keep making mobile games, let em. Give Tri Crescendo or Silicon Studios a big budget and a chance to bring their own spin to an exclusive JRPG franchise. Or hell, all three. Build a tiny little internal version of Square Enix and make a few different JRPG type franchises with different creative juices. That's the dream.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Another hot take:
Playing single player games in Game Pass vs other games outside of their release window is more fun. The reason is the community that's building up around Game Pass. When talking to other XGP gamers, there's a different conversation giving or taking recommendations since we're only talking about trying something rather than committing to it with more money. In the past, with few exceptions community was usually built primarily through multiplayer games. Now it can be built around single player experiences.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another hot take:
Playing single player games in Game Pass vs other games outside of their release window is more fun. The reason is the community that's building up around Game Pass. When talking to other XGP gamers, there's a different conversation giving or taking recommendations since we're only talking about trying something rather than committing to it with more money. In the past, with few exceptions community was usually built primarily through multiplayer games. Now it can be built around single player experiences.

What you're describing is just the conversation around games full stop, only now you're discussing games you're playing through GP instead of one's you historically played because of GwG or because you simply bought them. Perhaps it feels more fun to you because your circle previously simply didn't buy or play many single player games, or even discuss them. I'm constantly discussing SP games with my friends and family, and have been doing so for years, since that's the type of game we've always typically played the most anyway.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Just finished We Happy Few's first story and there definitely is a lot of potential for this developer. They brought a very interesting and dark story, some interesting characters and especially very good voice acting. The atmosphere is top notch too.

If there's going to be a sequel or just a new game, and they can take care of the (at times very bad) framerate, bugs and repetitive gameplay, Compulsion could turn out to be very promising indeed.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
What you're describing is just the conversation around games full stop, only now you're discussing games you're playing through GP instead of one's you historically played because of GwG or because you simply bought them. Perhaps it feels more fun to you because your circle previously simply didn't buy or play many single player games, or even discuss them. I'm constantly discussing SP games with my friends and family, and have been doing so for years, since that's the type of game we've always typically played the most anyway.

Some true and false. Not the same. Telling friends and community to try a game that they already have access to vs have to buy is different. I'm far more likely to have played or will play similar games as my friends when they are in Game Pass. Also can have conversations with the same community around different games. It's a different dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.