• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I know Tameem Antoniades once said that he did not want to make Enslaved 2 because it might be too similar to Horizon Zero Dawn. Screw that. Make the best action game you can make with the increased resources and talent at your disposal.

Mega1X

The Fallen
Jun 4, 2018
They don't make Days Gone type of games. They make community builders. They haven't even ever done cinematics before. You can't just change an entire studios output like that. The only thing they can make is a bigger state of decay.

I was more talking gameplay expansions to Days Gone Style.

EDIT: And I mean, Playground went from Racing to RPG. So you hire more talented people you have a chance to do a lot more than before.

Oct 26, 2017
They don't make Days Gone type of games. They make community builders. They haven't even ever done cinematics before. You can't just change an entire studios output like that. The only thing they can make is a bigger state of decay.

Bullshits.

Guerrilla hired CDPR and Bethesda devs for Horizon and the "killzone studio" worked on it
Respawn hired Santa Monica devs for Star Wars and the "titanfall studio" is working on Star Wars
Even Sony Bend had to higher several devs for Days Gone.

You are so misinformed.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Prior to making Horizon Zero Dawn, all Guerrilla Games made was shooters.

Prior to making Fable, Lionhead was doing Black & White, mainly simulation with strategy elements.

Before Digital Illusions CE got into racing and shooters, they were making a platformer and pinball games. First Battlefield title came after a decade.

There are numerous other examples.

These are fair counterpoints. I guess my original point, before getting rightfully called out, was that I've seen no interest in transitioning to another genre from Undead Labs. It just seems like they're just staying the course. My understanding is they still haven't knocked out all the bugs in SOD2. I WANT to see them do AAA high profile cinematic masterpiece type games, but nobody has even hinted that it's an option.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
These are fair counterpoints. I guess my original point, before getting rightfully called out, was that I've seen no interest in transitioning to another genre from Undead Labs. It just seems like they're just staying the course. My understanding is they still haven't knocked out all the bugs in SOD2. I WANT to see them do AAA high profile cinematic masterpiece type games, but nobody has even hinted that it's an option.
They will most likely be doing State of Decay 3. They have been hiring, and my hope is that they get people that can allow them to apply more polish on their games. Time that they did not have, and money that was not at their disposal are now things that they can rely on, and there is also a first party network that they can use if they run into issues.

Microsoft has stated that they want games to release when they are done. This was a huge problem when it came to games like Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2. Had any of those games got another year of development time, they would not have launched in the state that they did.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Does Ninja Theory own that IP or Bandai Namco?

I believe Bandai Namco does, I'm kind of pulling this out of my ass, but I vaguely remember some talk about a Trilogy, and Bamco shut it down because the original didn't do super well.

But IPs, especially dormant cult ones, can be purchased or deals can be made. I'm playing through Enslaved right now and really enjoying certain aspects of it, but I definitely see the Horizon comparison, one of my first thoughts when playing it was how cool an open world RPG in that world with parkour and really good action combat would be.

I think Ninja Theory right now is mostly focusing on a couple of midsized projects instead of one big one, but I'd be down for Horizon meets DMC any day.

Oct 27, 2017
They will most likely be doing State of Decay 3. They have been hiring, and my hope is that they get people that can allow them to apply more polish on their games. Time that they did not have, and money that was not at their disposal are now things that they can rely on, and there is also a first party network that they can use if they run into issues.

Microsoft has stated that they want games to release when they are done. This was a huge problem when it came to games like Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2. Had any of those games got another year of development time, they would not have launched in the state that they did.
World of Decay needs to happen. A shared world zombie simulator would be so great.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Because it probably isn't. We don't know for certain obviously, but in all likelihood you have unrealistic expectations, if you expect Undead Labs to start doing cinematic masterpieces (to use your words). It's not the type of game they're set up to do and there's nothing to indicate they're moving in that direction.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, whats wrong with a bigger SOD? They don't make cinematic story games, SOD3 is most likely a co-op/shared world survival game. Will it have story? yes, will they probably further expand their procedural story systems? yes and will they try to improve the presentation of narrative in their world? yes. If you don't like that style of game then it's probably not going to interest you and thats fine, but to right them off is absolutely ridiculous. A large open world AAA SOD3 thats a lot more polished and graphically impressive, with deeper simulation, procedural generation and fleshed out world will sell even more than SOD 1&2 (gangbusters.) Probably review quite well too.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
World of Decay needs to happen. A shared world zombie simulator would be so great.

I don't know if I'd be in to a full blown MMO type shared world, I just feel like player density would really mess with that formula and limit what could be done, but I'd be super in to a smaller shared world experience. Like Seven Days to Die or something, persistent servers that a handful of players could join and survive in together over time, building a settlement and finding survivors and all that. Fighting off the hordes.

Especially if they found it in their hearts to support private servers or found some way to lower the barrier of entry to something like that. I always enjoy stuff like that and I stand up servers for different games periodically, or most recently just shell out for a Minecraft Realm, but I appreciate that not everyone can do one or both of those things, so some way to make that easier would be amazing for that game mode.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Starting the next generation with a new Tomb Raider would be a good move
Shadow of the Tomb Raider kinda just came out though, with not a lot fanfare.
I'd imagine SE is going to reinvent the series again come next-gen, but that would take more than 2 years to do and Crystal Dynamics will be too busy with Avengers to develop it in time.

Oct 25, 2017
reading about Stadia i can only be baffled by how much better MS is handling all this cloud stuff

Days Gone looks awful so thanks god they aren't doing anything remotely like that

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
If we believe Initiative could go from nothing to something from one console generation to the next, why can't Undead and Compulsion go from something to something more? Again those studios have pieces. Comes down to whether Microsoft is giving their studios extra funding...which they are.

I wouldn't write off any dev under Microsoft right now. If you're willing to spend the money, you can accumulate great talent. If you accumulate great talent, doesn't matter what the last game's flaws were. Outside of the fact they help identify where the studio needs to acquire talent.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Because it probably isn't. We don't know for certain obviously, but in all likelihood you have unrealistic expectations, if you expect Undead Labs to start doing cinematic masterpieces (to use your words). It's not the type of game they're set up to do and there's nothing to indicate they're moving in that direction.
Which was my point before I received 6 comments about Horizon zero dawn

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Xbox Game Studios should also expand in technical assistance segment.

I think they need a Xbox Game Studios - Core tech team headed by a Director of Technology/CTO who knows extremely well the xbox scarlett to supervise/Help all the studio games to significantly improve the technical quality of the first party.

I saw that he opened a group dedicated to the quality of the first party with QA, Quality enginers etc ... Must continue like this if he want to make goods better games https://www.linkedin.com/company/studios-quality/

Also i hope he will open group dedicated to the Xbox Game Studios Marketing.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Gone looks awful so thanks god they aren't doing anything remotely like that

Awful? The game is beautiful, really impressive in term of visuals and... has some terrible performance issues. My inner graphics whore was really content with Bend Studio's output in terms of eyecandy extravaganza.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Capcom and CC2
I want to see my friend Camonna Tong happy.
Heh, I'm fine without Capcom. I don't want a Publisher unless there's a strong reason for it financially. It would help A LOT though. Sony might buy SE as a response though (if allowed), so it's not all good for MS. Though the situation will mostly be like now anyways. Overall, it makes more sense to partner with Capcom and have their games day-one.

CC2 though? Bring it. They'd be perfect. Their recent interview sounded like everything MS wants and needs (wants global IP for one, and xCloud sounded like it would be perfect for them to reach everyone). Pick up Experience (I'm 99% they'd join right away, they wouldn't exist without MS's help after all) as well. Partner with Mistwalker again to create great games (unless they grow beyond concept an acquisition won't happen), and work with White Owl on GP exclusives.

I really can't think of a lot more. I just want developers that would do great with MS's help. Both Experience and CC2 fit that bill. Both with budget and being able to make what they want.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Off-Topic Thread Derailment
I bet it physically hurt Jez to see those numbers, and even more to admit it on twitter as "Mixed" results.

Software / Services is likely dragged down from Fortnite down YoY. Not to mention big games like BFV being down. Although with FH4 and RDR2 youd think it would be better.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I bet it physically hurt Jez to see those numbers, and even more to admit it on twitter as "Mixed" results.

Software / Services is likely dragged down from Fortnite down YoY. Not to mention big games like BFV being down. Although with FH4 and RDR2 youd think it would be better.
Only down 3% in software side is fine enough, i mean Gears 5 will release this September which means it will be in FY2020 Q1, so it will back to up(for software).
As hardware, maybe they can try $299 with One X if they really want it sell a lot better, though maybe Elite V2 will help a lot(when it release anyway?).

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018

yes it's really bad results...

and i really don't like Phil strategy.... i wish if they follow Playstation strategy instead

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Only down 3% in software side is fine enough, i mean Gears 5 will release this September which means it will be in FY2020 Q1, so it will back to up(for software).
As hardware, maybe they can try $299 with One X if they really want it sell a lot better, though maybe Elite V2 will help a lot(when it release anyway?).
Is Gears going to do better numbers then FH4 and SoD2 last year?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017

I bet that it physically didn't. Wtf type of stupid comment is that? Smdh

Oct 25, 2017

lol¹

The dude is the biggest cheerleader of MS in the business. Guy might aswell get an xbox tattoo on his body. Constant hype. Also disgusting defense of homophobes. Should be banned as a source

lol²

giphy.gif

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yes, console wars nonsense. It's juvenile, you should be above it.
It's literally not console war nonsense. This guy provides a platform for a homophob and uses console wars to discredit criticism of his behavior. The dude is just a 2nd grade mouth piece to Xbox. I'd much prefer Brad Sams over Jez.

Hell just last page we had people getting exciting over a website paying for positive Sony articles lmao

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Just put him on the ignore list guys.

Easiest way to deal with a troll is to starve them of attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.