• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Is Killer Instinct on XboxOne any good?

Never tried and just got on gamepass

It's really good. I haven't played many fighting games but KI is definitely a very good one if you're new to the genre.
Character roster is also pretty sweet with some really good looking character with some of the best fighting music available.

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Is the story mode they added after launch worth going back for? I enjoy fighting games, but "arcade mode" and online play aren't really enough to keep me entertained for very long and I haven't played much KI since season one.
They have a Shadow Lords mode now that really helps keep solo players entertained. I would highly suggest trying it out :). I agree with Zedox, in that it is the best fighting game this gen.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Dat New Thread Smell!!

THE WALL OF SHAME, OT5 EDITION

QKA6QBP.png

Let's not fool ourselves.. The day Morgoth Bauglir decides to stop using multi quotes is when all y'all pretenders to the throne will be cast away for eternity. 😂

No offense intended!

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I'M BACK TO RISE

I'M BACK TO GLOW

I'M BACK TO FLY

I'M BACK TO SOAR

New_duane.gif

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
I mean, your argument about Xbox missing the mark previously with Japanese developers and giving up is not really valid, because it's clearly a different Xbox than where the brand was at that time. Microsoft clearly has a ton of work to do to build those relationships, but that's partially why they're laying the groundwork with an Xbox office in Japan and acquiring a Japanese studio(s). I don't think that Microsoft is going to even try to capture the Japanese market, with the Japanese studio(s) that it acquires, that's clearly an unattainable dream at the moment. It's primary focus is on the western market and people in the western market want Japanese games.

There would be very little benefit to Microsoft putting XGS-developed Japanese games on the Switch. Japanese developers are skipping Xbox because games don't sell well there and they don't think it's worth the effort. It's not going to increase third-party Japanese support, because all it's going to do is highlight how well those games sell on Switch, and via direct comparison, how poorly they sell on Xbox. If they want to go completely third-party and put their games everywhere, then they could absolutely do that, but using internal resources to put your game on another platform that is only going to highlight your shortcomings seems unwise at this time.

It's a process. Phil was never going to be able to storm into Japan with a checkbook and fly back to Redmond with a cargo plane full of exclusives and an overflowing Rolodex. However, showing a commitment to Japanese games over time by making those games available on your platform whenever possible (by assisting with development if necessary and giving those games exposure) and committing to creating your own Japanese games will allow Xbox to grow that portion of the brand.

And making those games available on a platform people in said country actually play on will help it grow a lot faster imo, and doesn't go against the team at Xbox making a commitment to Japanese games. Cuphead was wildly successful on the switch and was wildly successful on Xbox, no cares who sold more, all that matters is that both groups got a damn good game.

As for me using the past for my viewpoints, the past is all I have to go on since there has been no recent attempts until we started hearing rumblings of them going for an eastern based studio. Yeah, Xbox is in a different place now, but that doesn't change the reality of when a Japanese game does release on the platform, it's normally always the bottom in terms of sales and playerbase because again, most of the audience for said games is not on the platform, and they aren't going to run out and grab a Xbox just cause an exclusive or two when the default platform for these games gets exclusives without paying for anything. How many games drop on Switch & PS4 (and now PC!) that have no deals for being exclusive, yet never even have a chance of getting an Xbox port despite porting being easier than ever?

As long as that's the case, then Xbox will never be the default platform for those types of games and will always be a third or second at best console purchase if they bother getting it at all, so instead of trying to fight that battle again, why not let people who already own those platforms invest in the ecosystem in a way that benefits everyone?

-Xbox players get Japanese first party games that might actually live long enough to get a follow up

-Microsoft gets more software sales from first party and more sweet sweet MAU's

-Japanese gamers and a large majority of fans of those types of games get access to game they probably would have forgotten about the second "exclusive" popped up on the screen.

- and maybe, just maybe, this leads to a day where people are looking forward to MS's presence in the east instead of scoffing at the very idea [what's a Xbox gif goes here].

Everything you mentioned as a reason to stay exclusive would only go faster and be much more profitable if it wasn't. And just like you mention now more than ever MS and the team at Xbox are in a different place than before, that's exactly why I think it's a possibility that shouldn't be so quickly hand waived.

Game Pass, xCloud, Xbox and PC userbase is more thsn enough to support a First Party Japanese studio.

I agree PC support is a good compromise as there is quite a large audience of people willing to support those types of games on the platform already, but I don't know about xCloud and Gamepass. Not because they arent great ideas, but because at this moment one hasnt released properly so I'm unsure how to gauge it and I'm not sure how much the success of Gamepass would transfer over to fans of those types of games and Japan as a whole when they already own a platform that's gonna get 10x the amount by just existing.

You still think of a console to access Microsoft games, Japan may not sell well for Xbox consoles but in the xCloud service the game will do well.

This has yet to be seen. It could very well be a gamechanger, but it also might make no difference at all and at this point im not in a position to make that call cause its not out yet.

Last edited:

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Is the story mode they added after launch worth going back for? I enjoy fighting games, but "arcade mode" and online play aren't really enough to keep me entertained for very long and I haven't played much KI since season one.
Yea, as others have said, they don't have a Story mode like MK (no one does...lol) but the Shadow Lords is definitely a single player mode that does some crazy shit in it. It may interest you, it may not. Just try it out and see if you like it or not.

OP
OP
Figments

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
The Blazblue games (especially the last two) have lengthy story modes, but they're basically visual novels, not big cinematic things.

Shame the last one skipped Xbox altogether :'(

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Anyone know how many 1P games we know about and do the math here?

1. Gears 5
  2. Gears Tactics
  3. Gears Pop
  4. Gears of War 4
  5. Halo Infinite
  6. Halo The Master Chief Collection
  7. Halo 5
  8. Battletoads
  9. Ori WotW
  10. Psychonauts 2
  11. Wasteland 3
  12. Wasteland 1 Remaster
  13. The Bards Tale IV
  14. The Outer Worlds
  15. Bleeding Edge
  16. MS Flight Simulator
  17. Age of Empires 2 DE
  18. Age of Empires 3 DE
  19. Age of Empires 4
  20. Minecraft Dungeons
  21. Minecraft Earth
  22. We Happy Few
  23. Unknown Compulsion Games
  24. RAD
  25. Unknown Double Fine
  26. Sea of Thieves
  27. Unknown Rare
  28. Forza Motorsport Next
  29. Minecraft
  30. Unknown Playground Games
  31. Forza Horizon 4
  32. Forza Horizon Next
  33. Unknown Ninja Theory #1
  34. Unknown Ninja Theory #2
  35. State of Decay 2
  36. Unknown Undead Labs
  37. Unknown The Initiative
  38. Unknown Obsidian #1
  39. Unknown Obsidian #2
  40. Unknown inXile
  41. Unknown XGS Publishing #1
  42. Unknown XGS Publishing #2

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

The Coalition
1. Gears 5
2. Gears Tactics
3. Gears Pop

Mojang
4. Minecraft
5. Minecraft Dungeons
6. Minecraft Earth

Rare
7. Sea of Thieves
8. Battletoads
9. Unknown new project

Obsidian
10. The Outer Worlds
11. New project
12. Pillars of Eternity team

Compulsion Games
13. We Happy Few

Turn 10
14. Forza Motorsport 8

Playground Games
15. Forza Horizon 4
16. New action RPG

Double Fine
17. RAD
18. Psychonauts 2
19. New project?

343i
20. Halo Infinite
21. Halo Master Chief Collection

Age of Empires Studio
22. Age of Empires 2 DE
23. Age of Empires 3 DE
24. Age of Empires 4

inXile
25. Wasteland 3
26. The Bards Tale IV console edition
27. VR title

Ninja Theory
28. Bleeding Edge
29. Tameem's Hellblade team new game
30. VR game? Switch port?

Xbox Game Studios publishing
30. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
31. Flight Simulator

The Initiative
32. New project

Undead Labs
33. State of Decay 2
34. New State of Decay game

More? :P

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Unknown XGS Publishing #1
Unknown XGS Publishing #2
I'm really interested by these, do we (or anyone) know for sure it's 2 projects? I feel like Global Publishing really hit hard at the beginning of this gen, and have tapered off (thought CD3 did just release). I expect these will likely land pretty early next gen.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Games known:

343 Industries
Halo Infinite
Halo MCC

InXile Entertainment
Wasteland 1 Remastered
Wasteland 3
The Bard's Tale IV

Obsidian Entertainment
The Outer Worlds
Pillars of Eternity 2 (Switch)

Turn 10
Forza Horizon 7

Undead Labs
State of Decay 2

The Initiative
???

Double Fine Productions
Rad
Psychonauts 2

Rare
Sea of Thieves
Battletoads

Playground Games
Forza Horizon 4

Ninja Theory
Bleeding Edge

Mojang
Minecraft
Minecraft Dungeons
Minecraft Earth

The Coalition
Gears 5
Gears Tactics
Gears Pop

Compulsion Games
We Happy Few

Age of Empire team
Age of Empire 2 Definite Edition
Age of Empire 3 Definite Edition
Age of Empire 4

Xbox global publishing
???

Total: 26 games known

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Yea, as others have said, they don't have a Story mode like MK (no one does...lol) but the Shadow Lords is definitely a single player mode that does some crazy shit in it. It may interest you, it may not. Just try it out and see if you like it or not.
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Man, I really hope that if a KI sequel is in the works, it has a story mode similar to MK11's. It was a ton of fun and it was really cool to continue to see that universe fleshed-out. My only criticism is there isn't more single-player story content coming with the DLC, because I would love more episodes featuring the DLC characters, even if they were just an hour or so with three or four fights.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
It's really stretching it to say they're "working" on Halo 5 when the last update was over a year and a half ago and they rely on the community to create Forge maps for their playlist refreshes.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Because the games still get support (= resources), just like the original tweet said. The list exists to show what all these people at XGS are working on. It's not a list for console wars stuff, just some straight facts.
I know it's about support which is why I didn't question Horizon 4. And it also depends on what you consider support. Halo 5 hasn't had any new content for over a year. Same with Gears.

The reason I stopped playing Halo 5 was BECAUSE of the lack of support. Just think it's weird to include them.

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
  1. Gears 5
  2. Gears Tactics
  3. Gears Pop
  4. Gears of War 4
  5. Halo Infinite
  6. Halo The Master Chief Collection
  7. Halo 5
  8. Battletoads
  9. Ori WotW
  10. Psychonauts 2
  11. Wasteland 3
  12. Wasteland 1 Remaster
  13. The Bards Tale IV
  14. The Outer Worlds
  15. Bleeding Edge
  16. MS Flight Simulator
  17. Age of Empires 2 DE
  18. Age of Empires 3 DE
  19. Age of Empires 4
  20. Minecraft Dungeons
  21. Minecraft Earth
  22. We Happy Few
  23. Unknown Compulsion Games
  24. RAD
  25. Unknown Double Fine
  26. Sea of Thieves
  27. Unknown Rare
  28. Forza Motorsport Next
  29. Minecraft
  30. Unknown Playground Games
  31. Forza Horizon 4
  32. Forza Horizon Next
  33. Unknown Ninja Theory #1
  34. Unknown Ninja Theory #2
  35. State of Decay 2
  36. Unknown Undead Labs
  37. Unknown The Initiative
  38. Unknown Obsidian #1
  39. Unknown Obsidian #2
  40. Unknown inXile
  41. Unknown XGS Ready at Dawn Game
  42. Unknown XGS Housemarque game

Fixed - Expand list for correction. 😎

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still drooling about Flight Simulator.... that was my go to game when I was like 5-6 years old with my dad.... Can't wait to play and to show him :)

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Man, I really hope that if a KI sequel is in the works, it has a story mode similar to MK11's. It was a ton of fun and it was really cool to continue to see that universe fleshed-out. My only criticism is there isn't more single-player story content coming with the DLC, because I would love more episodes featuring the DLC characters, even if they were just an hour or so with three or four fights.

For me, a new KI is like MS doing a new Halo.

If it is not in the cards, I honestly have no idea what MS is thinking anymore.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I know it's about support which is why I didn't question Horizon 4. And it also depends on what you consider support. Halo 5 hasn't had any new content for over a year. Same with Gears.

The reason I stopped playing Halo 5 was BECAUSE of the lack of support. Just think it's weird to include them.
Got it. It's difficult to draw the line so I just included them :) As an example though, Gears of War 4 just got a new skin announced - today. While Halo 5 gets playlists/modes updates. So people at these teams are working on it still. But again - I agree it's difficult to draw the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.