• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm hesitant to say even this, but: the systems obviously aren't exactly the same, but as of now they are close enough that I expect ancillary considerations like preferred controller or online environment to be bigger deciding factors than whatever slight performance differences might exist.

Again, this isn't PS4 vs. XBO or Pro vs. X. Your game experience will be the same on either platform, and any fanboy arguments will be even more petty and ridiculous than they already are now.

To be honest, this makes me very happy. Solely for the reason that I intend to have Xbox once again as my main next gen. My friends are on Xbox, I highly prefer the ecosystem, the controller, etc. But if multiplats were to look or perform significantly better on the PS5... well that would suck, lol. At the end of the day it's just better for everyone if both are nearly identical, end of the day it's all about games and who gives a crap about nitpickers? I sure don't =)

So when you say this, it's with everything in mind? SSD, GPU, CPU, RAM? If I'm to believe some folks in the next gen thread Sony has some special method for the SSD that makes it better than Xbox, seems more like baseless speculation to me though.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
I'm hesitant to say even this, but: the systems obviously aren't exactly the same, but as of now they are close enough that I expect ancillary considerations like preferred controller or online environment to be bigger deciding factors than whatever slight performance differences might exist.

Again, this isn't PS4 vs. XBO or Pro vs. X. Your game experience will be the same on either platform, and any fanboy arguments will be even more petty and ridiculous than they already are now.

I wonder if the big difference is in implementation of the RT between PS5 and Next Xbox.

Feb 10, 2018
You call it "innovation", but most developers were just grinding against weird problems those custom boxes carried with them. I bet most developer would always choose the more modern development world we live in today, and consoles being nearly identical. Graphics tech continues to improve, so I don't think you need to worry about some sort of stagnation in that regard. Some of the games I've played this year have been among the prettiest I've ever experienced.

I have my doubts about how much attention they're really going to give Stadis after it's launch shine has worn off. If the videos don't get a lot of views they won't keep covering it.

I think, stadia vs ps5 vs scarlett would get good coverage.
It will be interesting to see how stadia stacks up against the next gens in next gen multiplats.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Some interesting changes on the Dash front. Like the way they are mixing the style to see what works and how to optimize more.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
EHGB2d-XUAEDtbb

Feargus, you just gonna let people block you out like that? You're the head of Obsidian, man. Show some pride!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good interview with Obsidian at the 2:19:20 mark of this video. I am super hyped to play this game in about a week now, and there is some interesting discussion with them at the end about the Microsoft acquisition and possible future of the franchise.

https://www.gameinformer.com/video-...-show-pokemon-sword-writing-reviews-the-outer
Very intresting talk about open world games. Seems they are not fan of it. And they said they feel much the same atm with the same kind of quest and bloated stuff. I agree with that.

Feb 10, 2018
They'll go two pages at most then drop off.

As a two console owner I find them interesting but let's he honest those threads especially at the start of this gen were sadly console war fodder.

Yeah, I love my 1x and the graphics in RDR2, gears 5 and plenty of other games.
But when I play my pro I'm not any less impressed, I do only play exclusives on my pro though.

Unless the difference is great then 14% next gen it won't factor into my decision on which system I will get first.

Console power only really matters when somthing is really compromised, be it resolution or framerate, and even the OG Xbox one is not a bad experience.

If anyone does make a fuss about console power differences they are probably contradicting themselves anyway because both Sony and ms have had and inferior consoles power wise this gen. So you could probably look at there post history and see double standards.

Last edited:

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
It only says "slightly"... so more like 360 vs PS3. So it could get even worse (and more stupid) than the PS4 vs XBO fight.

It might, which is why MS shouldn't allow that to become the narrative again, not even slightly. At worst they need to shoot for parity, but being weaker wont play out well, especially after we've had the often touted, "Most powerful console ever made" with the XB1X. They can't afford to go backward imo, not even a little bit.

Knottian

Banned
Mar 5, 2019
This keeps getting repeated, but it's completely imaginary.

You keep saying that, but as someone who works at a National Laboratory that also just had a conference with Azure Engineers, Microsoft is infinitely the larger customer for AMD. Sure, if you look at just gaming Sony may have the closer relationship, but Microsoft and AMD's extend to the Surface line, the entirety of Windows as a platform and the subsequent relationship that necessitates, Xbox, and most importantly the Azure datacenters that are running on Epyc. In addition, Microsoft is working extensively with my Lab and AMD on our exascale project. All this to say that Microsoft's relationship and ongoing projects with AMD eclipses that of just gaming, and by extension Sony's.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I have no reason to doubt that. But the point isn't really about the power, its about what that perception brings. Lets be honest, even if MS doesnt care about selling consoles anymore, it needs to care about mind share, especially the negative mind share Xbox has been trying to dig out of this entire gen. Negative perception affected sales and a smaller customer base affected games that are being made (or not made in this case) for Xbox. It is a negative feedback loop. If people perceive the xbox as weaker, even if its tiny, it wont be great for MS. A company that needs as many perceptions "wins" as possible next gen to continue digging out of its current hole. Sony can absorb some negative blows as its riding high. MS is coming from behind and needs to work harder and generate more positive buzz to keep pace. ANY company, team, etc coming from behind needs to work harder than the leader.

All of this is true. I don't get why people are lying to themselves about power not mattering when we know it does, even marginally as that narrative will be driven home and MS is still in reputation repair mode. They can't have the weaker system.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You keep saying that, but as someone who works at a National Laboratory that also just had a conference with Azure Engineers, Microsoft is infinitely the larger customer for AMD. Sure, if you look at just gaming Sony may have the closer relationship, but Microsoft and AMD's extend to the Surface line, the entirety of Windows as a platform and the subsequent relationship that necessitates, Xbox, and most importantly the Azure datacenters that are running on Epyc. In addition, Microsoft is working extensively with my Lab and AMD on our exascale project. All this to say that Microsoft's relationship and ongoing projects with AMD eclipses that of just gaming, and by extension Sony's.
I never said MS didn't work closely with AMD, in fact I said they did. But those relationships don't really somehow make the APU for Scarlett a more customized chip or extra special or whatever than the APU for PS5.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Ah . so there are no visible forward facing changes?
Core OS is simply MS's next-generation underlying platform for Windows, that's designed to be more stripped-down (aka less overhead resources) and more modular than the current one. The "shell" and other feature experiences are built on top of that for whatever is appropriate for different devices.

So, you'll never "see" forward-facing things that are Core OS, it'll just empower their dev teams to make a better software product.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the big difference is in implementation of the RT between PS5 and Next Xbox.

I think it is too early to know for sure. We are about 1 year + 1 month from project release (if they both release in Nov. 2020). I don't remember from the PS4/Xbox One release when things were locked in and manufacturing started...I want to say it was March/April 2013 when they went into production (retail units). So there is still some time for them (on both sides) to some tweaking. I think some of the threads have gotten ahead of themselves on specs that no one has confirmed. The latest was the PS5 was slightly more powerful, then there was they are almost the same with Scarlet having better RT then there was the one where the Scarlet chip was 350mm and the PS5 300mm and people wondering why the Scarlet chip is 50mm bigger. Just too much speculation this early in the game. Yeah it is fun to speculate and read the wacky things some say...but will be nice when we get actual specs from both sides.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
the 1st 20 seconds I jumped in made that whole experience worth it.

Paraphrasing: ""They use to be more aggressive and he misses that, thought they should have been more aggressive in areas.""

That doesn't surprise me because Mike is definitely pretty aggressive in his personality when communicating on Twitter and such, and many may agree with that thought. But to be fair because I have been listening for the last hour he also said that he wouldn't have left Xbox at this time if they weren't in a great position to succeed and that they just need to execute on the plan over the next 2 years.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Jason Ronald, a.k.a. "Xbox Beard Guy" from the E3 Scarlett 2019 video tweeted earlier about on this day in 2013 being the 35 day countdown to Xbox One. I replied with the following and got a like and his humorous reply. Of course I am not treating this as anything more than a guy working on something that they feel will be awesome, but given all of the power talk it is fun to just see that there are real people/engineers working on this to make us what will no doubt be a great product.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got him talking about Don Mattrick now. Basically said he said he made some stupid decisions such as price on Xbox and Kinect but the guy took big bets that didn't always pay off. Also his presence was always felt when he was in the room. He's about to go into stories about the Xbox reveal and the shit storm it was.

I'll try an update as new convos pop up. Please keep in mind I'm paraphrasing and not everything is Mike's words verbatim but I'm trying to keep it as close as possible.

Update 1: Now saying that everyone makes fun of Don including Xbox execs but Don did drive innovation in the company but failed on execution. There are some execs still at xbox that were saluting Don then and were all in on the plan but now joke about him.

Last edited:

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I got him talking about Don Mattrick now. Basically said he said he made some stupid decisions such as price on Xbox and Kinect but the guy took big bets that didn't always pay off. Also his presence was always felt when he was in the room. He's about to go into stories about the Xbox reveal and the shit storm it was.

I'll try an update as new convos pop up. Please keep in mind I'm paraphrasing and not everything is Mike's words verbatim but I'm trying to keep it as close as possible.

Update 1: Now saying that everyone makes fun of Don including Xbox execs but Don did drive innovation in the company but failed on execution. There are some execs still at xbox that were saluting Don then and were all in on the plan but now joke about him.
thank you for keep us Update

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
It might, which is why MS shouldn't allow that to become the narrative again, not even slightly. At worst they need to shoot for parity, but being weaker wont play out well, especially after we've had the often touted, "Most powerful console ever made" with the XB1X. They can't afford to go backward imo, not even a little bit.
Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.