• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Yeah, I think Xbox wants to keep on that "most powerful console ever" train as long as they can, and they'd been pushing that slogan "The best place to play games" a lot last E3.
Xbox can't afford to not be on point for any major bullet point come next gen, especially power. Not even a little or it'll be blown completely out of proportion - regardless of how miniscule - until there's a refresh or a new gen. I personally hate it, but the gaming community is entirely too petty and too toxic to let even the smallest flaw be allowed a pass if its Microsoft.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
If we get an ODST sequel, I think it should have a BR like mode. Call it Flood.

Flood spore clouds encircles the map and advances. At night the spore clouds stop advancing but infected Flood combat forms (some player controlled) awakens to besiege the remaining players. Players can work together to survive till extraction, but you don't know who is infected and can turn any moment...

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Jason Ronald, a.k.a. "Xbox Beard Guy" from the E3 Scarlett 2019 video tweeted earlier about on this day in 2013 being the 35 day countdown to Xbox One. I replied with the following and got a like and his humorous reply. Of course I am not treating this as anything more than a guy working on something that they feel will be awesome, but given all of the power talk it is fun to just see that there are real people/engineers working on this to make us what will no doubt be a great product.

Lol. nice one.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Very weirdly worded statement.

Not weirdly worded. In this statement you basically get an idea of his definition of "essentially the same" that could be mirrored on the statement that next gen consoles are very cloes to each other . The Ps4's GPU is roughly 40% better than the Xbox's GPU if you only count the TFlops plus the the faster Ram in the Ps4 resulted in far better performence. (correct me if I am wrong)

Now it is up to you if you agree with him or not. In my opinion it is not a close call as you also could easily see the difference visually and performence wise.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018

Flood spore clouds encircles the map and advances. At night the spore clouds stop advancing but infected Flood combat forms (some player controlled) awakens to besiege the remaining players. Players can work together to survive till extraction, but you don't know who is infected and can turn any moment...
So similar to apexs new Halloween mode, shadow fall?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Well up for a Flood return. I guess we have to see what they he tech is like for Infinite but I really hope flood comes back. After playing some World War Z recently I want crazy swarms of Flood haha.

Oct 26, 2018
I didn't know about it. I was just thinking about how to expand the game modes and game mechanics for Halo and Gears franchises organically.
Basically in the mode if/when you get killed, you come back as a shadow ( in halo's case, you'd come back as infected by the flood) then you go after the remaining players before they can escape on the airship.
If you make it to the airship you win, if not the shadows win. It starts of as a regular battle royale but after there are 10 players left that weren't killed, they team up to escape to the ship

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Jason Ronald, a.k.a. "Xbox Beard Guy" from the E3 Scarlett 2019 video tweeted earlier about on this day in 2013 being the 35 day countdown to Xbox One. I replied with the following and got a like and his humorous reply. Of course I am not treating this as anything more than a guy working on something that they feel will be awesome, but given all of the power talk it is fun to just see that there are real people/engineers working on this to make us what will no doubt be a great product.

:)

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got him talking about Don Mattrick now. Basically said he said he made some stupid decisions such as price on Xbox and Kinect but the guy took big bets that didn't always pay off. Also his presence was always felt when he was in the room. He's about to go into stories about the Xbox reveal and the shit storm it was.

I'll try an update as new convos pop up. Please keep in mind I'm paraphrasing and not everything is Mike's words verbatim but I'm trying to keep it as close as possible.

Update 1: Now saying that everyone makes fun of Don including Xbox execs but Don did drive innovation in the company but failed on execution. There are some execs still at xbox that were saluting Don then and were all in on the plan but now joke about him.
Nice, any more juicy details SlipperyMoose ? Thanks for posting this.

Don was a joke, i agree with that. His leadership ruined Xbox One.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
The next gen consoles being similar in power is surely a bigger risk to MS than Sony? Xbox has been fantastic when it comes to services and infrastructure but IMO still have a ways to go to show they can complete on software.

Obviously the massive investment the past two years has been promising, but I hope Xbox can / will show off what they have planned for the first few years on Scarlet. I think at E3 2020 they need to come out and show off the big hitters coming to the platform to bolster confidence in gamers who plan on purchasing the next box.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
The next gen consoles being similar in power is surely a bigger risk to MS than Sony? Xbox has been fantastic when it comes to services and infrastructure but IMO still have a ways to go to show they can complete on software.

Obviously the massive investment the past two years has been promising, but I hope Xbox can / will show off what they have planned for the first few years on Scarlet. I think at E3 2020 they need to come out and show off the big hitters coming to the platform to bolster confidence in gamers who plan on purchasing the next box.
Actually not very risky for MS since they changed the Xbox brand, some people always treat Xbox don't exist for them anymore, but when they open their PC or mobile(when XCloud release to public), they will find out it's everywhere.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Talked about is yesterday after the full interview and i agree with the open world stuff nowadays.
They uploaded that part now

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Fellow gamers imagine Forza Horizon 5 on Scarlett O.o I can already sense the disturbance in the gravity waves in our galaxy from the graphical output! haha We're almost there bring on XO19 to kick off the count down to Scarlett!!

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Actually not very risky for MS since they changed the Xbox brand, some people always treat Xbox don't exist for them anymore, but when they open their PC or mobile(when XCloud release to public), they will find out it's everywhere.

Yeah that's true. I meant more in terms of selling the next console. Should have been clearer. Xbox's new strategy definitely reduces reliance on shipping hardware.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if, to some degree, MS is banking on releasing their own games on GP day one helping consumers change their habits. I mean, of course they're hoping their own customers do change their habits, but I wonder if they also hope that will have the effect of making those customers less inclined to buy full priced games, pushing other players to support their game pass model.

I know earlier on, Spencer was saying games launching on GP actually increased the amount of retail sales, but that was very short-lived, as evidenced by Gears 5. Clearly, the reason Gears 5 sold less is because it launched on Game Pass (setting aside potential much less important factors like franchise fatigue or whatever else). But are customers now becoming less inclined to buy retail games at full price at all because of Game Pass too? How about in the longer term?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Talked about is yesterday after the full interview and i agree with the open world stuff nowadays.

Seconded, leave that for Playground, if all the RPG studios do big open world, it'll get old fast, I like the idea of Obsidian continuing to do table top influenced games.

Jan 4, 2018
I think the way they revealed the X was perfect and I hope they do the same for Scarlett

Give DF an in-depth look around april/may to get the most technical part out of the way and make E32020 all about the games

And if it releases after XO20 I think there will be the place to unveil All Access worldwide if they are to do it (as cool as it is, it's not something that'll stick in the public memory from E3 to launch at holidays and you want people to have fresh in their mind they can walk out the store with Scarlett and a big catalog of games for 50$/€ when the console launches)

Jan 4, 2018
I wonder if, to some degree, MS is banking on releasing their own games on GP day one helping consumers change their habits. I mean, of course they're hoping their own customers do change their habits, but I wonder if they also hope that will have the effect of making those customers less inclined to buy full priced games, pushing other players to support their game pass model.

I know earlier on, Spencer was saying games launching on GP actually increased the amount of retail sales, but that was very short-lived, as evidenced by Gears 5. Clearly, the reason Gears 5 sold less is because it launched on Game Pass (setting aside potential much less important factors like franchise fatigue or whatever else). But are customers now becoming less inclined to buy retail games at full price at all because of Game Pass too? How about in the longer term?
At the same time, that would mean they are getting used to be subbed to Game Pass, wich is also a win

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time, that would mean they are getting used to be subbed to Game Pass, wich is also a win
Yeah in some ways it's a win for MS, but if games don't sell as well on the platform, it's not a great thing. If the subscription model becomes ubiquitous in the way it seems to be headed, we're more likely to see a rapid shift to multiple services (like we're seeing in the TV space). Microsoft wants to be the Netflix of gaming, but would being one of the many Netflixes of gaming be enough?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

I don't think Gears 5 selling less because of game pass means all games launching on game pass will sell less from now on. Game Pass is still a wild card and Microsoft is experimenting with their own games to discover how maximize income with the service.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I just saw The Outer Worlds Launch trailer on Xbox channel, its amazing how almost every comment is talking about playing the game with Xbox Game Pass.
Thats it, Game Pass went mainstream folks.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Yeah in some ways it's a win for MS, but if games don't sell as well on the platform, it's not a great thing. If the subscription model becomes ubiquitous in the way it seems to be headed, we're more likely to see a rapid shift to multiple services (like we're seeing in the TV space). Microsoft wants to be the Netflix of gaming, but would being one of the many Netflixes of gaming be enough?

I think Microsoft is fully preparing for being "one of the many Netflixes of gaming". It's part of the reason they've been straight up giving away game pass subscriptions for a year now. Build up the largest possible user-base now so that if one day every major third party has to make a choice of which subscription to throw their hat in with, if for some reason they have to chose only one and can't or won't just put their games on all of them, the choice is obvious. If CD Projekt Red has to chose only one service to put Cyberpunk 2078 on, they're going to chose the one with the most users, where they will get the most players and the most profit. Big money deals not withstanding, and if anyone is going to have the money to pay a lump sum for a subscription exclusivity deal, it's probably going to be Microsoft.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nice, any more juicy details SlipperyMoose ? Thanks for posting this.

Don was a joke, i agree with that. His leadership ruined Xbox One.

He said he was going to get into the Xbox One reveal but got distracted by setting up to be a Twitch affiliate and never really revisited questions. I believe he said he will be doing lots of streaming in the upcoming weeks so I'll try again.

Jan 4, 2018
We may see multiple services launching, but there's only 3 maybe 4 publishers that release enough content to entice people to stay subbed all year. The rest of pubs will be partnering with existing services and that can be costly (the allegged 19 million $ for DMCV on Game Pass come to mind), and for that to be effective you have to sustain it in time while eating the losses while you slowly grow, and that's something not many will be able to do.
Even EA, Ubisoft... if they see after some years that their services are not performing well they'll drop them and partner with others.
People won't pay for 4-5 subscriptions, so consolidation will inevitably happen and there will be maybe 2 services that remain.
Also it's important to think that the more countries you expand to, the more expensive it gets to maintain a service like this. That's why for example Hulu, HBO... don't exist here in France and you see their series on Netflix (mostly) or Amazon Prime (a few others)

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

Boyarsky gets it. The original Fallout games were not open worlds, either. They were hub-based games. Which I guess you could argue is a collection of mini open-worlds. There are plenty of benefits to this type of design.

Status
Not open for further replies.