• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
RPG overdose.

Dt-HhjbWkAAOdeT

sweet!

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
Seeing so many RPG games coming makes me so excited. My favorite type of game. Weirdly RPG is not its own category in Game Pass. It really should be.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Seeing so many RPG games coming makes me so excited. My favorite type of game. Weirdly RPG is not its own category in Game Pass. It really should be.

It is on PC, which is even stranger. I wonder if it's because generally XBox players don't play as many RPGs? I wonder if they'll update the genres over time, as more RPGs are added and it starts to make more sense.

It's also such a perfect genre for game pass, you can play RPGs for years, and you can put them down and pick them back up when a big blockbuster or a charming indie comes out.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
It is on PC, which is even stranger. I wonder if it's because generally XBox players don't play as many RPGs? I wonder if they'll update the genres over time, as more RPGs are added and it starts to make more sense.

It's also such a perfect genre for game pass, you can play RPGs for years, and you can put them down and pick them back up when a big blockbuster or a charming indie comes out.

I don't play on pc so had no idea. Hopefully they do update the console with it. I kinda feel there is a weird consensus in the PTB that the RPG category isn't a big thing but to me it is, lol. Like in the Game Awards, the Best RPG award isn't even one of the main awards on stage, it's always awarded on the side. It's a little thing but it bugs me, lol.

Agreed with picking them up after a bit of away time. They are also great to replay too! I went back and replayed Mass Effect 2, 3, and 1 (in that order because I'm weird) to get the insanity achievements. And on a side note back compat is the best.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
+140 at Skybox labs
+500 at 343 industrie
Sperasoft for animation

not to mention the new employees who will come to 343 and Skybox it goes easy in the 700.

Halo Infinite will be the first AAAA of a constructor.

The game is going to be so ambitious ...

I pray every day for it to be interstellar.

500M budget is surely not a joke ...

Goddamn, several different studios too at it huh? Have previous Halo games and just huge games been like that? Maybe not the right example but look at Crackdown 3, a studio for the SP and a studio for the MP. Isn't it better if just the main studio does it all? Why do they need the help of Skybox?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't play on pc so had no idea. Hopefully they do update the console with it. I kinda feel there is a weird consensus in the PTB that the RPG category isn't a big thing but to me it is, lol. Like in the Game Awards, the Best RPG award isn't even one of the main awards on stage, it's always awarded on the side. It's a little thing but it bugs me, lol.

Agreed with picking them up after a bit of away time. They are also great to replay too! I went back and replayed Mass Effect 2, 3, and 1 (in that order because I'm weird) to get the insanity achievements. And on a side note back compat is the best.

Yeah, I think they're getting bigger and have been for a few years now, and I love it. I know Xbox has said they don't have a shopping list, like "we need a platformer studio, two RPGs, a strategy and a shooter studio" but I'd imagine they have to be looking to put as many RPGs as they can on game pass, first or third party. It just makes sense. Subscribe for Halo or Gears, stay because you can't stop playing and replaying Bards Tale, Pillars of Eternity and maybe someday Fable and Lost Odyssey.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
knightmawk yeah, definitely getting bigger, especially for Microsoft since they now have inXile, Obsidian, and Playground making them!

I'm playing Bard's Tale 4 and the whole time I'm imagining what it would be like with fidelity of Gears 5 for the characters. Gonna be glorious!

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
RDR2 had 3000. Thats offcourse everybody not just devs offcourse.
I noticed you seem to misspell 'of course' a lot. I wouldn't normally say something except that when you put the words together as 'offcourse' it can almost mean the opposite of the words 'of course'. I'm not trying to be a dick so I hope this doesn't come off that way. Please continue if you are doing it purposefully. :)

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Western RPGs are one of, if not my absolutely favorite genres and Microsoft has assembled a dream team. Black Isle devs under the same ownership. Said devs getting the financial security they never had and being able to comfortably make AAA+ games. One of the most talented Open World Designers making what may well be Fable 4. It's a dream come true.

Microsoft already has some of the best shooters and racers under its belt, and if it can corner the RPG market, I could easily see more join the Xbox infastructure. Game Pass, RDR2 and the (later confirmed) Obsidian rumor is why I joined.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

That's what I was talking about.

Microsoft and AMD work together with co engineering on the CPU.

Microsoft does the same thing it does with the surface laptop 3 result it is the best perfommance of a CPU on a laptop.

Yes, sony works collaboratively with AMD but I do not think it's as advanced as microsoft. Because with Microsoft it is co-engineered with AMD Team and Microsoft Team.

I think sony will bet on raw power and Microsoft will really optimize the RT, CPU, GPU, SSD etc ... To have the ultimate console gaming experience.

Last edited:

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

Microsoft does the same thing it does with the surface laptop 3 result it is the best perfommance of a CPU on a laptop.

Yes, sony works collaboratively with AMD but I do not think it's as advanced as microsoft. Because with Microsoft it is co-engineered with AMD Team and Microsoft Team.

I think sony will bet on raw power and Microsoft will really optimize the RT, CPU, GPU, SSD etc ... To have the ultimate console gaming experience.

Let's keep MisterXMedia off this thread please.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I really think that the next gen would have a gpu near the 5700 ( xt ?) with some ray tracing. With a gpu like this, the next gen are going to get some beautiful games!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Maybe slightly off topic, but do we know when Xbox will have their digital black Friday sale? Google says black Friday in general is 29 November, but does that go for their sales too?

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018

How many times Matt said to you this isn't true? You live in a bubble don't you?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
CK3 on PC Game Pass is bitchin'. The potential spread of stuff across PC and console in one service is ace. I can play Grand Strat and Halo on one sub. What else do I need?

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

Here is AMD's actual quote. - https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2019/06/09/amd-powers-microsoft-project-scarlett

Today we are honored to announce the latest amazing chapter in our long-term custom development partnership with Microsoft focused on pushing the limits of gaming.

AMD and Microsoft have co-designed and co-engineered a custom, high performance AMD SoC to power Project Scarlett to deliver an incredible gaming experience, including the next-generation of performance, graphics, lighting, visuals, and audio immersion. This processor builds upon the significant innovation of the AMD Ryzen™ "Zen 2" CPU core and a "Navi" GPU based on next-generation Radeon™ RDNA gaming architecture including hardware-accelerated raytracing.

Microsoft Executive Vice President of Gaming Phil Spencer revealed new details about Project Scarlett, which is expected to deliver the most powerful and immersive Xbox experience ever. Project Scarlett is a significant step forward in gaming and will provide developers with the power they require to bring their future creative visions to life with up to 120 frames per second, variable refresh rate, a next-gen solid state drive, and almost non-existent load times. Thousands of games across four generations will look and play best on Project Scarlett which will arrive in Holiday 2020.

AMD has teamed with Microsoft for over a decade, starting with the Xbox 360 and the first GPU designed for Unified Shading. In 2013, Microsoft introduced the Xbox One powered by a custom CPU and GPU on AMD SoC with high bandwidth eSRAM. In 2016 Microsoft introduced Xbox One S, the first model capable of HDR rendering. Then, the following year, Microsoft and AMD co-engineered a custom processor for the Xbox One X, introduced as the world's most powerful console at the time, offering true 4k game rendering.

Our relationship with Microsoft is based on silicon design deeply rooted in tight collaboration. Our engineering organizations work together as one design team to continually innovate and significantly advance the overall gaming experience.

As the #1 supplier of high-end processors and graphics for the game console market, AMD is committed to being the trusted partner for delivering the absolute best immersive experiences based on our unique silicon, platform and software expertise. We look forward to continuing our collaboration with Microsoft and pushing the boundaries of technology and gaming. We can't wait for you to experience this upcoming AMD-based product from Microsoft!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It varies. Last year they went live 11/15, in 2017 it was 11/17, in 2016 it was 11/18. I'd say between 11/15-20

Nice! Hoping for Borderlands 3 to be there and maybe also Iceborne.

Don't do this to yourself man. The disappointment will only be bigger if Scarlett ends up being inferior to PS5, if these systems are on par or have a difference of like Xbox One - One S, that's good enough, it'll mean barely a difference at all. Superior to PS5 would be a nice bonus, but don't count on it and also not necessary.

Last edited:

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Man, really, don't. Those same guys said Xbox One had a hidden super-chip that Microsoft was just waiting to switch on and overcome power differences with PS4, during the early gen days when XO was showing to be clearly underpowered. Now the new secret sauce is co-engineering with AMD. Don't be too hopeful on this bullshit, you'll end up being disappointed.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Man, really, don't. Those same guys said Xbox One had a hidden super-chip that Microsoft was just waiting to switch on and overcome power differences with PS4, during the early gen days when XO was showing to be clearly underpowered. Now the new secret sauce is co-engineering with AMD. Don't be too hopeful on this bullshit, you'll end up being disappointed.
THIS

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Nice! Hoping for Borderlands 3 to be there and maybe also Iceborne.

Don't do this to yourself man. The disappointment will only be bigger if Scarlett ends up being inferior to PS5, if these systems are on par or have a difference of like Xbox One - One S, that's good enough, it'll mean barely a difference at all.

I am not in a war of consoles.

I would be just disappointed with the Surface team because the xbox hardware is their only way to show their knowledge in terms of power.

I'm a big fan of their product, the hololens 2 is amazing, the surface studio is amazing, the surface neo is going to be amazing.

I'm just excited to see one of the best hardware engineering teams in the world at work on a next gen console.

That's why I'm surprised if the PS5 is technologically superior, especially after the merger of all the hardwares teams at Microsoft.

I was very disappointed when I learned that google was not going out console.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I really think State of decay 3 will be a visual and animation showcase.

He hired very talented lead technical art, when we know the importance of this position.

The artists and designer will be able to realize their perfect vision of the game.

Tech Art will create many tools and solve the problems to make life easier for artists and they will be able to focus on the details of environments etc ...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really think State of decay 3 will be a visual and animation showcase.

He hired very talented lead technical art, when we know the importance of this position.

The artists and designer will be able to realize their perfect vision of the game.

Tech Art will create many tools and solve the problems to make life easier for artists and they will be able to focus on the details of environments etc ...
I would love that. I have said it before but more survival aspects and some RTS stuff would be awesome. Some of the motion matching stuff being shown off in TLOU2 would be cool.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I posted this in the next gen thread, but I will post here too given some of the performance talk.

One thing to keep in mind here particularly if the actual hardware being used is super close per the rumors is that Richard from Digital Foundry mentioned during that EGX 2019 talk posted yesterday that paper TF specs alone definitely do not explain how the Xbox One X can get 4 times the pixel count of base PS4 (6 TF versus 1.84 TF) and 2 times the pixel count of PS4 Pro in many games (6 TF versus 4.2 TF). Heck, Cerny himself said that he thought 8TF was necessary for 4K and we got native 4K on Red Dead Redemption 2 on the X. So we truly don't know much at all about eventual real world game performance a year out considering that both companies may be doing things in their architecture with cache, latency, draw call efficiency (the ultimate foundation of any graphics pipeline) and so forth. That is why consoles are more interesting than "off the shelf" PC parts.

Note that I do not believe that there is some crazy magic that will suddenly enable one or the other to have a huge performance advantage if the hardware is truly so close, just that eventual relative performance to each other cannot be credibly assessed a year out for the reasons I cited and final driver tweaks and everything else that can come (you see updated Nividia and AMD drivers all the time right when new GPUs launch that improve performance).

Status
Not open for further replies.