• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I think Microsoft needs to talk Scarlett and Halo Infinite. Sony has been dominating the next-gen conversation so far.

Dominating is a bit out of context. They are getting short term bursts of conversation. PlayStation owners are hungry after Sony skipped E3. There's only so long you can drag out talk of specs and keep mainstream interest. It will all pale in comparison to talk next year and depending on price, power, accessibility and games....the narrative can flip quickly as it did back in 2013.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
You're saying it like that wouldn't be a big deal, but it would be a big deal.
yeah especially for a company that doesn't have a presence in the Gaming field there..

Hm. Both Phil Spencer and Matt Booty will be there. It doesn't sound like a "nothing new" event. Sure, it won't be an E3-class event, but I'm expecting nice announcements.
i think they Should be there and It's not necessarily to announce an acquisition

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
For X019, I really hope for a couple of big announcements from XGS - whether that's new games or new studios. I think there's space for at least one additional XGS title spring/summer 2020.
My opinion: 2020 is the year Xbox needs to go all-in. They could use X019 as a kind of big tease for that. But what will matter is everything happening in 2020.
I agree with this. I think they need to be riding the wave of XGS into Scarlett's release, then continue after that. I also think we'll seem them showing up at the Game Awards with something this year.

I hope we get something more on Scarlett. More details on specs would be fun, and I think a reveal of another launch game would be exciting - though I'm not very optimistic this will happen. I think they need to be more aggressive earlier on with their Scarlett push (compared with the XB1 launch).
Matt and Phil were both at XO18, and there weren't any new 1st party announcements then either.
Except for the announcement of two new first party studios.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Gears 5 last night. Definitely my favorite Gears game, and the XB1 exclusive I've enjoyed the most this gen.

I still want even MORE changes to the formula for the next one, but this was a huge leap in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. The main thing I appreciate about it is how there's a bit more of a sense of wonder to it. It's a little more... grand rather than grim? I don't really know how to explain what I mean, but there's more color to the experience. I appreciated that. I want even more!

The score was a surprising highlight too, and I loved the Skiff sections. Didn't detract at all like some said, quite the opposite. Those were some of my favorite bits.

That last big fight towards the end (the one with emergence holes) on experienced difficulty kicked my ass for hours before I finally beat it.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
The main reason I'm excited for X019 is because it's in my city and I'm going to be there. I almost don't care what's announced :D

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
yeah especially for a company that doesn't have a presence in the Gaming field there..

i think they Should be there and It's not necessarily to announce an acquisition
Dude, Booty always makes the announcments now. Phil did the first batch. Since then its been all Booty.

If Booty is coming to XO19, there's an acquisition to be announced.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Compulsion Games really recruits people of very high quality.

They have just taken the Senior Technical Artist of Eidos Montreal specializing in 3D / Level Art so he will create tools for artists to make environments as beautiful as possible.

He worked on the Shadow of Tomb Raider and deus Ex.

But he also recruit a senior Narrative designer who worked at Eidos Montreal for 7 years specializing in the world building, Quests design with branching etc ... Knowing that their narrative pole is very talented.

I think their next game will be an AAA because it recruits only people specialized in but also in a job offer it asks a producer specializing in AAA.

He will also be able to use The coalition technologies 😎

Almost all reviews say that We happy few is very well written.

The game lasts 25-30h with 3 different stories knowing that he reboot the dev in 2016

Their next game will be an Action / Adventure 3rd person.

Xbox Game Studios owns 5 very creative Studio that aims to innovate or likes to innovate:

The initiative
Rare Ltd
Double fine productions
Ninja Theory
Compulsion Games

And these are not studios that works on the little indie but very big production for some.

Jan 4, 2018
I agree with you, but most Xbox fans and management don't. There's not much of a point in fighting it, we're just going to have to live with more Halo and Gears. Thankfully we have plenty of new studios to carry the load for us. With any luck, we can all win. ;)
To me it's not that I don't want them doing more Gears and Halo, as I like both series.
But I think both could benefit from longer gaps between entries. (I know that's the longest we've waited between 2 Halo entries, and I'm sure it'll be a positive)
Doing something else inbetween entries could give them the opportunity to try new things without being tied to a stablished narrative and gameplay (wich if successful can add to their stablished IPs), it would make people value more a new entry and prevent fatigue(instead of "another Halo/Gears?" It'll be "Halo/Gears are back!" I know for many here if they released yearly it would be great, but with more time it becomes a bigger "event").
Also, those other projects could attract players not willing to jump on Halo/Gears because being at the 6th/5th (mainline) games, it makes it hard for new players to want get into the universes, because no one likes to feel you're lost and missing out on things because you lack knowledge of the universe, while if they start becoming familiar with 343i and The Coalition through a fresh start they might feel more inclined to go back and try their previous work, specially knowing they are historically important IPs in videogames.
We here are all familiar with MS IPs, but if they really want to go after a wider audience I think that could help, to ease them getting acquaintanced with 343i and The Coalition (specially important with younger gamers and to attract someone who has never had an Xbox)
I know that will sound like blasphemy to many, but hey, it's just an opinion hahah
XCloud updates, new Indies launching into Game Pass, updates for AOE and Gears Tactics and one new studio would be a really good X019 imo. I think it makes sense for Microsoft to lay low with their biggest and best until E3 2020.
Agree, there's already a lot of announced games we don't know much they could talk about, as well as more games coming to Game Pass, Winter of Arcade, maybe more details about xcloud (public beta? details on pricing, availability etc... if they plan to release it before E3?) acquisitions...
I only expect new games to be announced if they are to release before Scarlett (second half of 2019) and in that case I only expect a little trailer of a couple minutes at most, and then next E3 show more details

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

They have just taken the Senior Technical Artist of Eidos Montreal specializing in 3D / Level Art so he will create tools for artists to make environments as beautiful as possible.

He worked on the last Tomb Raider

But he also recruit a senior Narrative designer who worked at Eidos Montreal for 7 years specializing in the world building, Quests design with branching etc ... Knowing that their narrative pole is very talented.

I think their next game will be an AAA because it recruits only people specialized in but also in a job offer it asks a producer specializing in AAA.

The game lasts 25-30h with 3 different stories knowing that he reboot the dev in 2016

Their next game will be an Action / Adventure for the 3rd person.

Xbox Game Studios owns 5 very creative Studio that aims to innovate or likes to innovate:

The initiative
Rare Ltd
Double fine productions
Ninja Theory
Compulsion Games

And these are not studios that works on the little indie but very big production for some.

Nice finds!

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

The initiative
Rare Ltd
Double fine productions
Ninja Theory
Compulsion Games

Interesting stuff. keep giving us the inside scoop on new dev hires. great job.

Oct 25, 2017
If Booty is coming to XO19, there's an acquisition to be announced.

I would argue that people should eventually stop thinking this way because Booty is responsible for all things first party and he will probably be in every big MS event going forward, and i strongly doubt that there will be a non stop first party acquisition in every single event for the next few years

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I would argue that people should eventually stop thinking this way because Booty is responsible for all things first party and he will probably be in every big MS event going forward, and i strongly doubt that there will be a non stop first party acquisition in every single event for the next few years
THIS

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
People talk a lot about how going Xbox wouldn't be worth it for a Japanese studio, but I think we aren't considering PC enough.

While Xbox One is basically non-existant in Japan, PC is probably bigger than any one individual console. More big Japanese games are releasing on PC these days, but not always day one. Xbox would definitely be supporting any hypothetical Japanese studio they acquired in launching their games day and date on PC and Xbox, not to mention optimization. Combine that with streaming / mobile and I don't think they'd miss PS4 as much as some people think.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
You're jumping the gun a bit. I never said this would happen for every major event. He was at X019 and E319 and announced two acquisitions at X0 and one at E3. He's going to be at this particular one as well where I believe we will hear at least one acquisition announcement. He may appear at every one from here on, that doesnt mean he wont have announcements to make - even if they arent acquistions. But we know they are in fact still purchasing studios. So....who can say.

I'm expecting at least one at X0i9 though

Oct 25, 2017
You're jumping the gun a bit. I never said this would happen for every major event. He was at X019 and E319 and announced two acquisitions at X0 and one at E3. He's going to be at this particular one as well where I believe we will hear at least one acquisition announcement. He may appear at every one from here on, that doesnt mean he wont have announcements to make - even if they arent acquistions. But we know they are in fact still purchasing studios. So....who can say.

I'm expecting at least one at X0i9 though

I'm aware of this, hence the 'eventually'. I don't think it's far fetched to think that an acquisition will happen during X019, i just happen to see a lot of people saying that Booty = Acquisitions, and i think that won't be true anymore sooner than we think.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
I'm pretty sure Hello Games was the "studio that had worked with Playstation in the past" or however it went that was in advanced talks with Xbox ages ago. Those talks seem to have fizzled out. That or they've taken a very long time and Microsoft has kept them pretty much secret for over a year.

Klobrille can feel free to tell me I'm talking out of my ass and my ass is wrong about this.
Could be wrong but I don't think that was in reference to Hello Games. Think it was about a developer that had released many games for PlayStation and only 2 or 3 on Xbox. Was it not rumoured to be the likes of Housemarque, Insomniac Games, Ready at Dawn or Supermassive Games?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I have been playing Panzer Dragoon Orta from the original Xbox through Game Pass in 4K while I wait to play Outer Worlds later this week, and honestly one of the things that I am most interested in with Xbox Scarlett is how their backward compatibility team that all transitioned over to Scarlett work as announced at E3 will handle any enhancements and such. I can't believe that I missed this game before, as it is really fun and shouldn't look this good and clean on my 65" 4K TV in 2019 :) Playing this also saddens me a little that we don't seem to get as many gameplay focused larger budget games any more that are just arcade fun and not trying to check all of the current boxes in game development. Maybe there will be some next gen launch window game surprises that help to provide more of those experiences, but otherwise I will just have to play them through backwards compatibility I guess.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Could be wrong but I don't think that was in reference to Hello Games. Think it was about a developer that had released many games for PlayStation and only 2 or 3 on Xbox. Was it not rumoured to be the likes of Housemarque, Insomniac Games, Ready at Dawn or Supermassive Games?

Klob never clarified who he was talking about, but as he said a few pages ago I was wrong, it wasn't Hello Games.

The only thing he's said about it since is that it for sure wasn't Insomniac, and that he hasn't heard anything about it in a while and so assumes it didn't work out.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I could see there being new acquisitions for the next number of years.
Microsoft has stated their goal with Xbox very clearly, they want to reach the 2 billion gamers worldwide through streaming and subscriptions.

That is a AAA gaming market unlike any we've ever seen, roughly 10x the AAA gaming market now. So you'd expect the production magnitude to ramp up much more than previously expected.

Aug 23, 2018

The initiative
Rare Ltd
Double fine productions
Ninja Theory
Compulsion Games

Good shit! Where do you see that it's def going to be 3rd person?

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing around with the XCloud beta and I have to say that I'm impressed! It was shaky at first, but the past night or two I had little to no visual issues and only slight input lag that I easily adjusted to.

As someone who's thinking about just getting PS5 next gen, XCloud is starting to feel like a viable alternative just so I don't miss out on the few Xbox exclusives I want to see.

Anyone else playing around with XCloud and/or considering it for their Xbox fix in the future? Or are you all into the brand to the point where you want a dedicated console/PC for the exclusives?

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I've been playing around with the XCloud beta and I have to say that I'm impressed! It was shaky at first, but the past night or two I had little to no visual issues and only slight input lag that I easily adjusted to.

As someone who's thinking about just getting PS5 next gen, XCloud is starting to feel like a viable alternative just so I don't miss out on the few Xbox exclusives I want to see.

Anyone else playing around with XCloud and/or considering it for their Xbox fix in the future? Or are you all into the brand to the point where you want a dedicated console/PC for the exclusives?
I prefer the Xbox platform to be honest. What you plan on doing for Xbox I hope to do with PSNow.

DRPSquirtle64

May 30, 2019
For X019, I really hope for a couple of big announcements from XGS - whether that's new games or new studios. I think there's space for at least one additional XGS title spring/summer 2020.
I suppose we are getting bleeding edge release date at XO19 at least. And it will probably be around spring 2020
People talk a lot about how going Xbox wouldn't be worth it for a Japanese studio, but I think we aren't considering PC enough.

While Xbox One is basically non-existant in Japan, PC is probably bigger than any one individual console. More big Japanese games are releasing on PC these days, but not always day one. Xbox would definitely be supporting any hypothetical Japanese studio they acquired in launching their games day and date on PC and Xbox, not to mention optimization. Combine that with streaming / mobile and I don't think they'd miss PS4 as much as some people think.
PC is still miles behind PS4 or Switch in terms of Japanese games fanbase. And the only reason why Japanese devs consider porting their games to PC nowadays is that there is a player base for such games on PC in the west. This isn't the case for Japan itself though. So, I can only see some really small Japanese devs joining XGS because they can possibly gain some audience by being Xbox first party studio. This won't be a good deal for medium sized or big studios.

Nov 23, 2018
Klobrille Japanese studio(s) is probably a long-term play, right? Meaning this may take longer than expected.

I'd assume an acquisition would be more difficult than US or UK based developers.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the Xbox platform to be honest. What you plan on doing for Xbox I hope to do with PSNow.

THIS. Xbox is going to have so much cool variety with their first party output and with Xbox Game Pass in general that I want my primary platform to be capable of playing native games on Scarlett, but I may check PSNow for some big Sony exclusives even if I have to wait a year plus to try them out on there.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Gears 5 last night. Definitely my favorite Gears game, and the XB1 exclusive I've enjoyed the most this gen.

I still want even MORE changes to the formula for the next one, but this was a huge leap in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. The main thing I appreciate about it is how there's a bit more of a sense of wonder to it. It's a little more... grand rather than grim? I don't really know how to explain what I mean, but there's more color to the experience. I appreciated that. I want even more!

The score was a surprising highlight too, and I loved the Skiff sections. Didn't detract at all like some said, quite the opposite. Those were some of my favorite bits.

That last big fight towards the end (the one with emergence holes) on experienced difficulty kicked my ass for hours before I finally beat it.

Just finishes it as well

Overall gears 5 Campaign felt really uninspired - even more so than gears 4 imo

Sure more color and even more forced walking.. otherwise it waa the same.. as gears 1. A handful of repeated enemiea in predictable encounters. It really feels like a game from 2007 - in every way but graphics

The worst part though.. was the dialogue. Especially since they obviously tried to make something similar to the naughty dogs games. It felt so flat

I hope they get to work on something else but gears.. they have talet - but it is wasted just tweaking the gears formula imo

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

But it makes sense in this case, because without the new Xbox being announced - there's honestly not much 1st party related that Microsoft is going to realistically announce outside of Studio acquisitions.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

The initiative
Rare Ltd
Double fine productions
Ninja Theory
Compulsion Games

Compulsion Games is in possibly the best area in the world to capture top tier talent and to also grow quickly if need be with all the studios around Montreal.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

The initiative
Rare Ltd
Double fine productions
Ninja Theory
Compulsion Games

These are great finds. Been wondering what Compulsion was up to because they've been quiet. Studio tried to build something out of scope for their size with WHF but showed talent in regards to character creation, writing and art. They are located in a talent rich area for experienced devs. Nice to see them sign some accomplished devs.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

The initiative
Rare Ltd
Double fine productions
Ninja Theory
Compulsion Games

nice find

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
I'm not sure how much work it take, but I'm really surprised the japanese games that are on steam, havent made it to xbox PC gamepass. I thought for sure, along with xcloud, that's how xbox gets Japanese games into their ecosystem w/o having to develop for the console.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Compulsion Games is a French / English speaking studio and he do an interview in 2018 just after the buyout.

In the longer term, the founder of Compulsion Games hopes that his studio will be recognized internationally for his major works and quality. The kind of games he creates - titles with strong stories, that are not necessarily online and without microtransactions, for example - is often associated with Sony affiliates such as Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studios. Guillaume Provost is not afraid of comparison.

"We are not yet big or mature enough to compete with these studios, but we can create a path to do it," he says."

Status
Not open for further replies.