• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Its not PlayStation's job, they just have found lots of success with them and have worked this entire gen into having as many of them made for the brand as they can. Xbox has tumbled with a lot of their games, it would be senseless to invest in many big budget games when they are still in the phase of restructuring their first party and are investing in Game Pass for the long term.

Like it or not, these small games are shaping the new identity of Xbox and the next generation of the brand more than the next Halo, Gears Forza, etc. which many just are always a given with Xbox.
even Xbox can find that success too, now that they have a lot of talents work for them and a bigger budget...

And still Halo, Gears and Forza is bigger then those Smaller games....!!

No platform holder is recognize because of the small games there have, they are recognize with their Bigger Games (AAA) they output

but i know you are PSfan so that fine for you

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTveV4Yfh2I

@1:59:11

"Frankly when we look forward, and we're looking at the shows to come, I can't see a show where we won't be announcing new first party games. There's just so much in development and there's so few shows that I think this should just be something that we should get used to" - The legend himself, Phil Spencer, at X019.

Hype.

So what will XGS announce at The Game Awards?

These are the possibilities I could think of, some far more likely than others:

Hellblade team's next game
Playground's RPG (Fable 4 probably)
New Obsidian game from 3rd team
inXile's 2nd project
New Compulsion game (actually so hyped to see what's next for this studio)
"State of Decay 3" from Undead Labs
"Forza Motorsport 8" (or maybe something else? still probably Forza tho) from Turn 10
The Initiative's debut game
XGSGP titles we don't know about yet

Anything else you all can think of? The last few are very unlikely but still possibilities.

Do XGS dare drop a bombshell like Fable @ TGAs? Or save it for E3?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
which i don't like....we don't need a lot of smaller games....xbox is a big compeny we need AAA games more then small ones just like ANY big compeny out in the industry

Microsoft said they want to release a new first party Game Pass game every 3 months.

That will include smaller games and AAA games.

Microsoft is definitly investing in big games. We know Fable is in the works, a new Forza Motorsport game, a new Forza Horizon, Halo Infinite, Everwild (shown off today), Flight Simulator, The Initiative's new game, rumor has Coalition had another project in the works but idk what's happening with that (E3? Cancelled?), Ninja Theory has ANOTHER game in the works besides Bleeding Edge, and Obsidian is working on another project as well (not Grounded)

So there's a lot of games coming, both AAA, and smaller titles. Single player and MP focused. The goal is to have something for everyone.

The Initiative is one studio formed for your vision, a blockbuster unique AAA game.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
even Xbox can find that success too, now that they have a lot of talents work for them and a bigger budget...

And still Halo, Gears and Forza is bigger then those Smaller games....!!

No platform holder is recognize because of the small games there have, they are recognize with their Bigger Games (AAA) they output

but i know you are PSfan so that fine for you

They are bigger than those smaller games, sure, but to many they just have lost their luster. It doesn't matter how they try to improve them, their is still the fact that Xbox has relied on them for far too long. These smaller releases that can be pumped out faster make the Xbox brand have more variety, content, and most importantly more appeal. Believe it or not these games are catching the eye of gamers who wouldn't give the most recent Halo, Gears, and Forza games another glance.

They can only make so many AAA games and the staple Xbox series will always have priority for those budgets. And they now give them away day one on Game Pass. They just can't have all these newly acquired studios making huge projects when their first party division has to be profitable. So lots of smaller games with chances of profitability and broadening appeal is the strategy they are using here to make Game Pass work.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That show didn't appeal to me much at all.

New RARE IP looks like a multiplayer 'make your own fun' GaaS like Sea of Thieves which is probably my least favorite type of game.

Obsidian new IP looks like a survival co-op game, which does not interest me.

Dontnod's new IP looks good. Definitely intrigued by that one.

The Game Pass announcements for remainder of 2019 were very disappointing. I expected better.

Not much else really caught my attention or impressed me. Too many multiplayer focused and smaller/indie games for my tastes. AA and AAA single player games are where it's at.

It will be nice to play Halo Reach for the first time though.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I know it's probably not indicative of a change in philosophy, as Grounded presumably predates the Obsidian buyout, but I really hope MS enables more of their studios to pursue little side passion projects just as Obsidian is now. While they'll always be primarily devouted to their namesake (just as Obsidian is going to be an RPG studio for the forseeable future), I'd love to see 343i, the Coalition, and even Turn 10 with a small 10-20 person team each, working on something new.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's probably not indicative of a change in philosophy, but I really hope MS enables more of their studios to pursue little experimental passion projects just as Obsidian is now. While they'll always be primarily devouted to their namesake (just as Obsidian is going to be an RPG studio for the forseeable future), I'd love to see 343i, the Coalition, and even Turn 10 with a small 10-20 person team each, working on something new.

i think it absolutely is indicative of a change at MS - they aren't dictating what teams are working on but giving the the freedom to create what they are passionate about.

GamerGoinds

Oct 25, 2017
I really want a God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn or Last of Us type of experience on Xbox really well-written stories with great gameplay. I am tired of games like Sea of Thieves, SoD2, and other live service games. I really love singleplayer games and yes I do play Destiny and CoD but I also mainly love the singleplayer AAA games which I think they should acquire at least one more big studio. I really was let down with this year's E3 and X019 last year was Microsoft's best E3 this gen. I am really hoping that E3 2020 they just blow it all out drop Fable 4 news, concept art for Initiative's AAA game, Obsidian's new game, NT's new game and lastly at least one more studio acquisition on the level of Obsidian. I'm usually not negative about Xbox and I don't mean to sound like such a downer but I just want to see stuff that excites me.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Reflection:
X019 was the chance to show what is in the pipeline deep into 2020. They showed that. It was also a statement to be all in with Xbox Game Pass and xCloud to have some competition with PS Now and Stadia. E3 2020 will be all about next gen.

While I personally am not into that over-excited presenters and crowd thing I would say it was a good showing from a content perspective.

In my opinion MS/Xbox needs to think about a more mature approach how they market their console products starting with next gen. How about show some understatement and confidence!

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Everwild looked spectacular. The character climbing I think could signify a climbing mechanic similar to Zelda Breath of the Wild. Very interested to see more.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
i think it absolutely is indicative of a change at MS - they aren't dictating what teams are working on but giving the the freedom to create what they are passionate about.
I meant a change from the philosophy of 'Studios with a dedicated singular purpose'. Just because Obsidian and Rare have been given creative freedom to experiment with with new IPs, doesn't mean we'll be seeing 343i or the Coalition on anything no Halo or Gears any time soon.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Did someone at rare confirm multiplayer for everwild? I keep hearing it but I don't see anything in the trailer that indicates it?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Reflection:
X019 was the chance to show what is in the pipeline deep into 2020. They showed that. It was also a statement to be all in with Xbox Game Pass and xCloud to have some competition with PS Now and Stadia. E3 2020 will be all about next gen.

While I personally am not into that over-excited presenters and crowd thing I would say it was a good showing from a content perspective.

In my opinion MS/Xbox needs to think about a more mature approach how they market their console products starting with next gen. How about show some understatement and confidence!

Keep in mind it was X0. The Scarlett reveal and E3 will be far different.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
That show didn't appeal to me much at all.

New RARE IP looks like a multiplayer 'make your own fun' GaaS like Sea of Thieves which is probably my least favorite type of game.

Obsidian new IP looks like a survival co-op game, which does not interest me.

Dontnod's new IP looks good. Definitely intrigued by that one.

The Game Pass announcements for remainder of 2019 were very disappointing. I expected better.

Not much else really caught my attention or impressed me. Too many multiplayer focused and smaller/indie games for my tastes. AA and AAA single player games are where it's at.

It will be nice to play Halo Reach for the first time though.

File this under least surprising reactions to X019 :)

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Flight Sim on gamepass screenshot of games only saying PC ? Unless console will come later in 2021? Hmmm...

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I meant a change from the philosophy of 'Studios with a dedicated singular purpose'. Just because Obsidian and Rare have been given creative freedom to experiment with with new IPs, doesn't mean we'll be seeing 343i or the Coalition on anything no Halo or Gears any time soon.

A insider talked about 2-3 months back about hearing The Coalition was working on Gears 5 and another game, tho he said he's not sure what the status of the other game is atm (sometimes projects are shelved, put on the back burner, etc.).

Rod Ferguson, basically the head of 343 said this: https://gamingbolt.com/gears-5-developer-on-making-a-new-ip-never-say-never

"It's a terrible answer, but it's a 'never say never' thing," said Fergusson. "We're The Coalition. We wanted to brand ourselves around the franchise. We were looking at Turn 10, and we were looking at 343, and going, 'okay, these are dedicated studios to a dedicated franchise.' And so, we're very dedicated to the Gears of War franchise, but that's not to say we won't do other things."

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018

"Frankly when we look forward, and we're looking at the shows to come, I can't see a show where we won't be announcing new first party games. There's just so much in development and there's so few shows that I think this should just be something that we should get used to" - The legend himself, Phil Spencer, at X019.

Hype.

inXile's 2nd project
"Forza Motorsport 8" (or maybe something else? still probably Forza tho) from Turn 10

Anything else you all can think of? The last few are very unlikely but still possibilities.

Ninja Theory has two teams that will likely announce a project in the next year. I think they're the most likely candidate.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
They are bigger than those smaller games, sure, but to many they just have lost their luster. It doesn't matter how they try to improve them, their is still the fact that Xbox has relied on them for far too long. These smaller releases that can be pumped out faster make the Xbox brand have more variety, content, and most importantly more appeal. Believe it or not these games are catching the eye of gamers who wouldn't give the most recent Halo, Gears, and Forza games another glance.

They can only make so many AAA games and the staple Xbox series will always have priority for those budgets. And they now give them away day one on Game Pass. They just can't have all these newly acquired studios making huge projects when their first party division has to be profitable. So lots of smaller games with chances of profitability and broadening appeal is the strategy they are using here to make Game Pass work.
catching the eye !! Casual Gamers doesn't give a damn shit about small games they want mature AAA Games and most of those are Console Gamers so this strategy won't work coz it's not appealling

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Hype.

inXile's 2nd project

The Initiative's game is probably still years out. I think it will be announced at the Scarlett reveal.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
A insider talked about 2-3 months back about hearing The Coalition was working on Gears 5 and another game, tho he said he's not sure what the status of the other game is atm (sometimes projects are shelved, put on the back burner, etc.).

Rod Ferguson, basically the head of 343 said this: https://gamingbolt.com/gears-5-developer-on-making-a-new-ip-never-say-never

"It's a terrible answer, but it's a 'never say never' thing," said Fergusson. "We're The Coalition. We wanted to brand ourselves around the franchise. We were looking at Turn 10, and we were looking at 343, and going, 'okay, these are dedicated studios to a dedicated franchise.' And so, we're very dedicated to the Gears of War franchise, but that's not to say we won't do other things."
WHHATTT when did that happen halo to be third person now

/joking

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, and that's why MS is waiting till next year to show off their big guns for next gen.
Yeah, The Initiative and Playground Games will surely show off the goods at E3.

And to be frank, I want all these side games/passion projects to just be released so Obsidian, Ninja Theory and even Compulsion Games start pumping out AAA games. I have very little interest in the smaller games, unless they're at the level of Ori, which conceptually is a AA game but with AAA production.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
Finally got to watch IX and thought it a great. Excited about the Final Fantasy games coming to Game Pass. Always wanted to try them but not enough to buy them. And the games out today on GP all seem interesting. Downloading Age of Wonders now... although I'm still trying to finish Subnautica, Fallout New Vegas and now Star Wars is out. I need more time in a day, lol.

I thought the Xcloud news was good. Microsoft was very clear it is a work in progress and won't be released until it's ready.

I do think my game of the show was Wasteland 3. I'm glad Brian Fargo said you don't need to play the previous games although I might try Wasteland 2 again.

Really makes me happy I play on Xbox.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Anyone know how long this new 1$ promotion is going to last? Can't seem to find that bit of info anywhere. I want to stretch getting to have more than a couple of days with Ori. Also, is 3 months 90 days or?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
yes they will have new ips but AA

deal

I have your avatar ready ;)

XfcqqXa.png

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
inXile Entertainment being given centre stage to close the show was a very cool move by Microsoft. Over a year ago I bet Brian Fargo when weighing up the future of the studio could never have pictured this moment.

It might not have been the end of the show people were looking for but it shows Microsoft cares about their studios regardless of size or stature. If there are to ever be future acquisitions I am sure moments like this will have warmed many to the prospect of being a part of Xbox Game Studios.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Next year will be insane in terms of Games Coming to xbox one (never happen this Gen)

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really want a God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn or Last of Us type of experience on Xbox really well-written stories with great gameplay. I am tired of games like Sea of Thieves, SoD2, and other live service games. I really love singleplayer games and yes I do play Destiny and CoD but I also mainly love the singleplayer AAA games which I think they should acquire at least one more big studio. I really was let down with this year's E3 and X019 last year was Microsoft's best E3 this gen. I am really hoping that E3 2020 they just blow it all out drop Fable 4 news, concept art for Initiative's AAA game, Obsidian's new game, NT's new game and lastly at least one more studio acquisition on the level of Obsidian. I'm usually not negative about Xbox and I don't mean to sound like such a downer but I just want to see stuff that excites me.

Yup, that's word-for-word how I feel too. I've had that complaint for quite some time now unfortunately. Hopefully next gen is a vast improvement.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
" Coming 2020: Project xCloud will allow you to stream the Xbox games you own from the cloud "
Like I've said all along, two separate programs

"Xbox Console Streaming (Preview)requires an Xbox One console with games installed, either owned games or Xbox Game Pass titles for Xbox Game Pass members. Players using Xbox Console Streaming (Preview) can stream Xbox One games installed on their console to their mobile device.

Project xCloud (Preview) streams games directly from the cloud to a player's mobile device and does not require an Xbox console. Players can quickly stream Xbox favorites such as Gears 5 and Sea of Thieves - no downloads required."

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
And yet you will still be disappointed.
Can't please everyone, because not everyone wants to be pleased.
Like I've said all along, two separate programs

"Xbox Console Streaming (Preview)requires an Xbox One console with games installed, either owned games or Xbox Game Pass titles for Xbox Game Pass members. Players using Xbox Console Streaming (Preview) can stream Xbox One games installed on their console to their mobile device.

Project xCloud (Preview) streams games directly from the cloud to a player's mobile device and does not require an Xbox console. Players can quickly stream Xbox favorites such as Gears 5 and Sea of Thieves - no downloads required."
I've got to be honest, I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What is with Forgotten Empires in this image then?
EJXGOEfUwAEfSyr

Worlds End is in charge of the Age franchise. They aren't necessarily developing Age 4 or Age 2 DE themselves, they are basically overseeing it and making sure these games are what fans want, have good quality, etc. Worlds End basically controls where the franchise goes.

Forgotten Empires worked on Age of Empires II DE.

Relic is working on Age of Empires 4.

Worlds End is continuously in contact and working with both of these studios to make the games happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.