• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
I have to say ‪the whole ecosystem around Game Pass is getting really strong as of lately. The game additions currently are pretty insane, the preview for 2020 is looking even better. OS integrated rewards quests (daily, weekly, monthly etc.), notifications, the mobile app now even allows queuing up coming soon additions and automatically installs them when released, remote download status, the improved friend list with the Game Pass badge, the confirmation that xCloud will tie-in into Game Pass, the Win 10 Xbox App / Game Bar feels very good at the point as well etc. ‬

One can only be satisfied with it.

What I do wonder though is when we will get the first 3rd party AAA banger available on release date through gamepass. So far the evolution of gamepass is reaching its end in terms of adding all kind of games since 3rd party games appear on there quite near to its release sometimes so the next step would be to release those titles the day they release not every titel obviously.

I know we might be still far away of this situation but if MS wants to drop that mic on E3 stage than this would be a possibility imo.

Am I reaching too far or does anybody else think (not wish) this will be the next we could expect ?

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure that's EA Access and not Origin Access?

Screenshot-20191122-122236-Edge.jpg

Saci do PXB

Nov 12, 2017
Am I reaching too far or does anybody else think (not wish) this will be the next we could expect ?

It's a financial equation. MS pays upfront the publisher. When the game enters Game Pass, the publisher MUST ASSUME (even if it's not true) the game will stop selling on Xbox Store. And the first month it's usually the best for retail.
Game Pass subscribers number is growing every day. It can achieve a critical point when pay a lot of money for a huge 3rd party launch on Game Pass actually makes sense. But it will be some isolated cases, certainly. It seems to be a more reasonable approach for MS to pay less for a big game after some months (think Devil May Cry 5).
Most people tend to be binary: No Game Pass vs Just Game Pass. But MS still gains a lot out of Store sales, so it's good to keep all channels healthy.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
It's a financial equation. MS pays upfront the publisher. When the game enters Game Pass, the publisher MUST ASSUME (even if it's not true) the game will stop selling on Xbox Store. And the first month it's usually the best for retail.
Game Pass subscribers number is growing every day. It can achieve a critical point when pay a lot of money for a huge 3rd party launch on Game Pass actually makes sense. But it will be some isolated cases, certainly. It seems to be a more reasonable approach for MS to pay less for a big game after some months (think Devil May Cry 5).
Most people tend to be binary: No Game Pass vs Just Game Pass. But MS still gains a lot out of Store sales, so it's good to keep all channels healthy.

Agree. And maybe it is not really neccessary for them once the first party output is on a monthly basis but just to attract many people I can imagine they announce one big 3rd party game at E3 for game pass coming day one.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
Developers on Avsim are having a tantrum against Microsoft

"Microsofts agressive marketing". Some of them believe Microsoft has planned everything to destroy 3PD developers and they even go further claiming that SDK is fake news and will never be released.

There is also this one guy (FSReborn) who is upset because no one buys his add on, a 30$ product that consists of improving AI aircraft light effects lol

Oct 25, 2017
Developers on Avsim are having a tantrum against Microsoft

"Microsofts agressive marketing". Some of them believe Microsoft has planned everything to destroy 3PD developers and they even go further claiming that SDK is fake news and will never be released.

There is also this one guy (FSReborn) who is upset because no one buys his add on, a 30$ product that consists of improving AI aircraft light effects lol

giphy.gif

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I've heard from a few friends that people are receiving XBL messages with MS credit in them, has anyone had anything? Nothing for me :( I'm hyper-engaged, damnit, where's my free money!?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I know that might be not the most popular opinion, but Scarlett shouldn't launch with too many games by XGS on day one. Halo Infinite will get all the focus no matter what and I don't want to see other games being overshadowed. Halo Infinite without any doubt will get the marketing focus - understandably so - and the console will be sold-out early on anyway.

Have maybe 2 more unique games by XGS on day one and that is perfectly fine. It would make much more sense to give the other teams more time and release more first-party games in the window after launch going into 2021. Every game can have its own healthy focus and it might also make a lot more sense with Game Pass in mind.

On top of all that there should be quite some "Scarlett enhanced" updates ready for titles you already own or released in 2020, so there will be more than enough to check out on day one and there is no need to risk to bury your new games.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I know that might be not the most popular opinion, but Scarlett shouldn't launch with too many games by XGS on day one. Halo Infinite will get all the focus no matter what and I don't want to see other games being overshadowed. Halo Infinite without any doubt will get the marketing focus - understandably so - and the console will be sold-out early on anyway.

Have maybe 2 more unique games by XGS on day one and that is perfectly fine. It would make much more sense to give the other teams more time and release more first-party games in the window after launch going into 2021. Every game can have its own healthy focus and it might also make a lot more sense with Game Pass in mind.

On top of all that there should be quite some "Scarlett enhanced" updates ready for titles you already own or released in 2020, so there will be more than enough to check out on day one and there is no need to risk to bury your new games.
I both agree and disagree here. I think if Sony goes guns ablazing on PS5 with Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, Scarlett should follow. However, if PS5's launch is pretty low-key like PS4's, I think pacing the games out is for the best.

Nov 23, 2018

Scarlett should launch with Halo Infinite and 6 month of Game Pass Ultimate (new and current users). The release window is probably more important than day and date releases.

hav7n

Apr 2, 2018

Totally agree. Nothing can beat Halo Infinite. I would rather to have one new game a month after Scarlett launch than a bunch on day1.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018

Halo Infinite is also on Xbox One and PC, do you really think it'll have a big impact on Scarlet sales?

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland

I'm not even sure Microsoft will have another first party game for the launch of Scarlett than Halo Infinite. I always thought that the game made by Dontnod would be a Scarlett launch title, but it won't. I think Microsoft will launch their games when they will be ready, even if it means two or three weeks before Scarlett launch.

Yes, I mean it's not like it's only on Scarlet and you can't get that game anywhere else
I completely agree with you, but the same was true for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the wild. Yes, there is more Xbox One owners than Wii U owners. Yes, Halo Infinite will also be released on PC, Zelda isn't. But I still think Halo Infinite will be a huge system seller for Scarlett because people will want to play it in the best way.

hav7n

Apr 2, 2018
You can play pc games on any graphic card you like.

Does it affect new graphic card sales in a bad way?

Aug 26, 2019
I both agree and disagree here. I think if Sony goes guns ablazing on PS5 with Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, Scarlett should follow. However, if PS5's launch is pretty low-key like PS4's, I think pacing the games out is for the best.
3rd parties are going to dominate the launch. It's the FIFAs, CODs, and ACs that are going to get the bulk of the attention. I anticipate a relatively quiet launch lineup for PS5, with a decent exclusive like Ratchet and Clank and upgrades to TLOU2 and GoT. I don't expect heavy hitters like Horizon 2 until 2021.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
BoTW isn't officially on PC though, that changes the dynamic
It changes it a little, but there's plenty of gamers who couldn't care less about PC. The next-gen consoles are going to sell themselves with all the next-gen features, and performance and getting all these enhancements in Halo Infinite is obviously going to be a system seller.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
BoTW isn't officially on PC though, that changes the dynamic
Every Xbox game is on PC. There are clearly enough people who still would rather go the console way (many reasons for this, of course, starting from obvious cost reasons ending in most people preferring the simplicity of playing games on a console). Halo Infinite is going to be the #1 system seller for Scarlett.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I finally got around to playing this little beast in London last week. It's fun as hell. At reveal I thought it might be a low quality dumbed down Diablo, but it's actually extremely fun, very smooth and polished, with a surprisingly varied gameplay. It'll never have the absurd levels of depth of Diablo 2 or 3 probably but it's also a smaller project sold at a fraction of the price, and honestly it feels about as good as Diablo 3 does on consoles. This game's gonna surprise a lot of people, I can guarantee this. It won't be the phenomenon the original Minecraft is (not even a Minecraft 2 can probably aim at those levels of success), but I'm sure even here on Era a lot of people who wouldn't have given it a cent will be shocked at how fucking fun this little game is. With Game Pass a lot of people who scoff at Minecraft thinking "lolz, kids stuff" will give a bored shot to this game, only to find themselves completing 8 dungeons without realizing it.

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
3rd parties are going to dominate the launch. It's the FIFAs, CODs, and ACs that are going to get the bulk of the attention. I anticipate a relatively quiet launch lineup for PS5, with a decent exclusive like Ratchet and Clank and upgrades to TLOU2 and GoT. I don't expect heavy hitters like Horizon 2 until 2021.

Imagine if Microsoft bought exclusivity in 2020 for some sports game (FIFA, Madden, or another) and that year, let´s say FIFA 21, only came out on Xbox Scarlett, Xbox One and PS4 (not PS5). It would without a doubt increase sales of Xbox Scarlett by a lot, and then the majority of those buyers would probably stay with Xbox for the rest of the generation.

Given all the investment that Microsoft has been doing, they would be capable of a deal like that, but realistically speaking we know that it won't happen. It was just a shower thought.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Every Xbox game is on PC. There are clearly enough people who still would rather go the console way (many reasons for this obviously, starting from obvious cost reasons ending in most people preferring the simplicity of playing games on a console).
IDK man, I mean this is on multiple consoles and PC. Performance would be great on X and PC as well I'm sure but maybe I'm wrong.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know they told us at x019 but I didn't realize how many games are already on xcloud. 50+ games is a pretty big selection for a service that isn't even out officially yet. On top of the 3000+ games on Xbox now will have the ability to stream on xcloud. If they choose to do that it's above and beyond what Stadia/PSNow has to offer imo. I like the idea of having gamepass games being able to be streamed but I also like the idea of the xcloud not being locked to a subscription and making it an option for anyone really.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Thank baby yoda for this thread because nearly every other one I go into on this site is full of some of the worst console warring I've seen in a long time. The "I love Sony because they're devoted to generations" or "xCloud exclusives means MS is evil!" threads are full of cancer.

For something relevant here I do wonder if you guys think Scarlett would have VR compatability with windows mixed reality headsets, because that's pretty much the only chance I'd ever have of playing Half-Life: Alyx so I'm extremely hopeful that it does.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite plus the Game Pass library would be a perfect Day One Scarlett Launch. Space out new XGS games on a monthly basis.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Thank baby yoda for this thread because nearly every other one I go into on this site is full of some of the worst console warring I've seen in a long time. The "I love Sony because they're devoted to generations" or "xCloud exclusives means MS is evil!" threads are full of cancer.

For something relevant here I do wonder if you guys think Scarlett would have VR compatability with windows mixed reality headsets, because that's pretty much the only chance I'd ever have of playing Half-Life: Alyx so I'm extremely hopeful that it does.
every once in a while a few come in here and try to wear lions skin while being a hyena. but yeah .. it's depressing to see an onslaught of negativity that has no just means. its just straight up negative emotional ranting. it literally reminds me of trump/alt-right/racist/donttreadonme defenders. not trying to blanket or tie them together, but it's so toxic it mirrors what i've seen in those conversations.

I believe Scarlett will support VR compatibility for sure. I also believe the next machine they release may have AR compatibility as i hope hololens will finally become more consumer friendly in price. I still remember the minecraft demos with hololens - they even had a demo with halo! So i believe they definitely want to tie AR with gaming in the future for sure.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

I'm hoping MS goes real wide and opens the Scarlett up as a target spec on something like SteamVR and in turn the Scarlett supports a wide variety of headsets I like the Rift S and the Index.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Agree. A healthy ecosystem with 3P is very important. Because in the end of the day the major amount of games is coming from 3P.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Seemingly on queue another "Gears 5's story is disappointing" thread pops up, I used to try and defend the things I enjoyed in those but I've given up.

I really hope MS will showcase the power of Scarlett with games. Exclusive games built for it.

Of course they will, the entire change over in generations is mainly going to show off the scalability. The One/S will be dropped for new games within a few years and the one x probably a year or two after that but for now they have built these things so they can scale really well between the generations of hardware.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
Halo and Forza for launch sounds good then every other month a new 1st party title would be perfect for me.

Aug 26, 2018
I really hope MS will showcase the power of Scarlett with games. Exclusive games built for it.

They will have a Cyberpunk 2077 Bundle, Halo Infinite Bundle, probably a Minecraft Dungeons+Ori 2 Bundle and a FH5 Bundle in Fall 2020. Xbox One X with Halo Infinite at 299$ will also fly off the shelves.

That is some serious selling power right there I think.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I would be fine if the only first party games at launch are Halo and Forza as long as at the reveal event or E3 we really get to see what the devs are working on and they show us here's what's going to be available at launch and here's what's coming within the first year.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

I strongly agree with this. It's not about hitting the ground running with a bunch of exclusive titles day 1. It's about mindshare early on and mindshare can be greatly impacted by what people know is coming rather than what's there. PlayStation 4 had a giant mindshare gap with Xbox One day 1 and outsold Xbox by 500K in 2013 while launching in more territories and lacking games. This says 2 things:
  1. Even what would be considered a big gap of sales holiday #1 means little in the overall big picture
  2. Exclusives day 1 don't matter as there's usually just enough supply for enthusiasts who'll want better hardware for their current library and multiplats
Beyond that, Halo is the game that will make or break mindshare late 2020 for Xbox. It's a lot more important that Microsoft show well for what's coming in 2021 and 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.