• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
They could just let Rahni Tucker go wild on a single player game after Bleeding Edge.

Aug 26, 2018
I mean, I feel like that could be a job for Global Publishing (or whatever they're called now), to a degree.

I would also imagine that all of the new studios are free to pitch for existing IPs if they have an idea or the passion for it.

I feel new studios won't have the connection to an existing MS IP like Phil Spencer & the Internal team who saw those old IPs being born, created and released had.

Phil Spencer needs to MAKE IT HAPPEN, talk to their 2nd parties or create new studios to bring back these IPs, not leave it to the studios to pitch it to them.

Example: Very very few people from the Current Rare team lived through those golden 90s/2000s to realize what games like Banjo/Perfect Dark really meant. Craig Duncan, the Head of Rare himself joined in 2011 and has no inclination to go back and explore these IPs. On the contrary, we are getting a Psychonauts 2 because the original creator Tim Schafer wanted it.

Last edited:

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Wow holy shit it does look like the same art style. My love of LO just got deeper. I will fight anyone who doesn't want a sequel.

I'm pretty sure the character designs were done by Takehiko Inoue.

I feel new studios won't have the connection to an existing MS IP like Phil Spencer & the Internal team who saw those old IPs being born, created and released had.

Phil Spencer needs to MAKE IT HAPPEN, talk to their 2nd parties or create new studios to bring back these IPs, not leave it to the studios and come pitch it to them.

Example: Very very few people from Rare lived through those golden 90s/2000s to realize what games like Banjo/Perfect Dark really meant. Craig Duncan, the Head of Rare himself joined in 2011 and has no inclination to go back and explore these IPs. On the contrary, we are getting a Psychonauts 2 because the original creator Tim Schafer wanted it.

I don't entirely disagree. Obviously, if Phil wants these IPs to come back, then he needs to lay the groundwork himself. To your example, Gregg Mayles is still at Rare, and I'm sure he would have enough pull there to make a new Banjo if he was interested enough. Rare has always had a history of trying new things, and I think that's in their DNA at this point. Many of their games don't even have one sequel, let alone multiple.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
One of Microsoft's first party's biggest hurdles this gen has been quality and polish.

The Xbox Game Studios rebrand marked a change in a many things, including that.

Don't expect them to put out games to the masses unless they're already gone through substantial polish and are representative of what's to come.

Betas like the excellent Gears 5 tech test that show the game as highly polished and smooth are what you can reasonably expect.

Even Bleeding Edge, which looks great, is only contained to closed tech tests, and that isn't going to change until the game is close to release.

If you actually think XGS studios have full autonomy on how their games beyond the creative process, I have a bridge to sell you.

I'm not telling you to get the notion out of your head to rude, but just so you don't start expecting it, but be my guest if you think Initiative are going to put their game in Early Access, lol.

I presented a game preview release as one possible scenario, not "im 100% expecting this!" and clarified the possible reason for what I gave the opinion based on, maybe read the original post next time?

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Story focused games and live services are fundamentally polar opposites. The perfect service game never ends. That's the very goal it's trying to achieve. Stories on the other hand build towards a climax, an ending that set-ups have pointed towards. That's where you get closure. Live service games don't want you to have that closure.

That's not necessarily true, ongoing episodic narratives are nothing new even in other media, and that's something that can function in GaaS without any issues. Every update can be a self-contained story or you can have entire story arcs spread across seasons (which is how many GaaS already structure their updates). Post-launch updates can even be spin-off stories only tangentially related to the main game narrative. 343i already experimented with that in Halo 4's Spartan Ops which worked fine from the narrative standpoint, even if it faltered from the gameplay perspective, but that's an unrelated issue that could've been avoided.

DRPSquirtle64

May 30, 2019
So it isn't currently an Xbox game, but I played the demo for Judgment last night and fell in love. It's exactly what I want to play right now, but I don't have the option to do so on my console of choice.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but Phil and Co. really need to turn things around next gen when it comes to getting third party releases from Japan. I don't want an Xbox game studio in Japan, I don't want more games like Blue Dragon, I just want to be able to play stuff like FFXIV, Judgment, FFVII Remake, etc... on my damn Xbox.
I'm with you on this one. But it will all depend on console sales/xCloud success. No matter what Microsoft execs say, console sales still matter as long as Xbox is a different development environment from PC. I mean Xbox console success and developers interest is only depends on itself and not on some mystical Xbox ecosystem as some others can think. xCloud should help a bit as it uses console hardware, but I don't see cloud gaming becoming mainstrean in the next 5 years.

Yes, i sent you a PM ;)
Me too, pls

Another mistake? This time in Japan

No chance it releases day and date with PS4 version though.

DRPSquirtle64

May 30, 2019
Gamescom is where they announced it originally and that is a good place for them to show it due to the market but given they've not mentioned it im not really expecting it there now
I agree, especially considering that gamescom is in Europe where Microsoft seems to be changing their focus on PC efforts as PC is strong in Europe. Seems like a good idea to show it on gamescom.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you on this one. But it will all depend on console sales/xCloud success. No matter what Microsoft execs say, console sales still matter as long as Xbox is a different development environment from PC. I mean Xbox console success and developers interest is only depends on itself and not on some mystical Xbox ecosystem as some others can think. xCloud should help a bit as it uses console hardware, but I don't see cloud gaming becoming mainstrean in the next 5 years.

No chance it releases day and date with PS4 version though.

Oh most definitely. Microsoft either needs to claw their way back in terms of sales, or find ways to make the costs negligible. XCloud is definitely a great argument for bringing games to Xbox. I'm really excited to play around with that later this year. I don't think it'll become "mainstream" anytime soon either, but I'd like to see it at least match the # of Xbox Scarlett users.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm with you on this one. But it will all depend on console sales/xCloud success. No matter what Microsoft execs say, console sales still matter as long as Xbox is a different development environment from PC. I mean Xbox console success and developers interest is only depends on itself and not on some mystical Xbox ecosystem as some others can think. xCloud should help a bit as it uses console hardware, but I don't see cloud gaming becoming mainstrean in the next 5 years
It might not become mainstream, but I can tell you it works great, so it really just depends on if people is willing to try it.
I've been using a cloud PC for more than 2 years now and it works perfectly, even when I connect with a tablet or phone instead of the monitor and box setup that's connected through ethernet.
So if a small company like Blade can do it I'm really confident that MS' take will be at least as good

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
We should really be discussing how Obsidian is going to take the Shadow Run IP and turn it into a pseudo Fallout style smash hit.

Think about it. Guns, sorcery, orcs, modern world. It's a game begging to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.