• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Eh, don't act like Sony doesn't have a massive kill-list as well.
Folklore
Motorstorm and Driveclub
Heavenly Blade
Fat Princess
Formula One
SOCOM
Twisted Metal
PSASBR
Lair
Puppeteer
Ape Escape :(

Sure, Sony (and Nintendo) has killed off some games they could've stuck by, but I think if we look at games that were a) good, and b) not outright failures, Sony has a better track record than Microsoft.

I think that has a lot to do with Microsoft having these big pillar franchises that were selling gangbusters that inflated their expectations, whereas Sony first party titles were generally not quite as successful as a Gears or a Halo or Forza, etc.

Yes, it is definitely important and it helps with the Game Pass model, but it is also a gamble at the same time. Phantom Dust is the kind of game that people would buy/play primarily for the story given its action JRPG appeal, not really for the online. To greenlight a new one/remake with the intention of monetization is likely going to miss the mark.

I believe that is the biggest issue with the IP really, the audience it appeals to isn't the same audience that engages in online modes.

I love, love, love, love Phantom Dust.

That game absolutely has appeal in in MP and I think it took off the MP would overshadow the SP quite easily because it's so distinct and amazing to play.

Greenlighting a reboot purely to monetise the shit out of it wouldn't be ideal, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about it having the potential to have a great implementation of monetisation would help its cause. MS are in the business of making games for profit, not anything else. The SP + MP + monetisation potential are three combining factors that would help a reboot materialise, it's impossible to ignore in this context.

Man, Dontnod has been moving super slow with the LIS 2 releases. I know people say episodic games are "perfect" for Game Pass, but I've noticed a sharp decline in attention this sequel is getting, even compared to Before the Storm.

I have nothing to back this up, but I have noticed this as well and I think it's because Dontnod are spread too thin across too many projects.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I still can't believe Halo will be launching with the new Xbox. The marketing for a new console crossed with Halo could be amazing. I can't wait to see what comes of it.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Microsoft bought these guys I believe. If not, they should for sure!
Not yet, but probably will if the rumors are true.
Yep! Im hoping. These guys are super talented! Loved every one of their games.
They're a publicly traded company, so I doubt they'll be acquired.

If Microsoft made a move to acquire them, we'd known about it by now I would think.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
About that, I wonder if there really is no way to do it "silently"
As in MS paying a 3rd party that buys shares and then transfers them to MS

Probably illegal. I dont think the company needs to announce any meetings with MS upfront "hey guys we are going to have a meeting with MS maybe they want to acquire us!" but once an offer is made I think they'll have to announce that and suspend trading for a while... (someone more knowledgable than me can confirm) so if it was happening we would almost assuredly know as they need to advise shareholders on the deal.

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
About that, I wonder if there really is no way to do it "silently"
As in MS paying a 3rd party that buys shares and then transfers them to MS
I mean, that could probably work, as long as there are no legal reasons that force any of the parties involved to divulge that information to the public.
Then again, I'm not 100% suitable to give acquisition policy counseling or anything, so I could be way off the mark. lol
That is a super great way to get the SEC involved and have an investigation started.
Whelp, there it is!

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
If Blooper Team was getting acquired, wouldn't they just announce it at E3 alongside Blair Witch? Waiting until 3 months after the game is out on to announce at a smaller venue wouldn't make sense.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I mean, that could probably work, as long as there are no legal reasons that force any of the parties involved to divulge that information to the public.
Then again, I'm not 100% suitable to give acquisition policy counseling or anything, so I could be way off the mark. lol

Whelp, there it is!
Don't know if I can post Links but SEC considers insiders any entity with more than 10% ownership in a company (among others). Any purchases transactions of stock they make in that company have to be registered through the SEC. Punishment involves heavy fines and /or jail time.

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
If Blooper Team was getting acquired, wouldn't they just announce it at E3 alongside Blair Witch? Waiting until 3 months after the game is out on to announce at a smaller venue wouldn't make sense.
This is all depending on where negotiations were, if they were even started, and if any contractual obligations would seize their ability to announce such a thing or to even negotiate an acquisition. Blair Witch is also a chance for Microsoft to work with Bloober team on a second-party-like basis (similar to Playground and Undead, except MS doesn't own the Blair Witch IP). These kind of partnerships may start as a game-by-game deal basis or contractual game release obligation agreement (look at Undead Labs) which can blossom into a tighter connection between both entities. Who knows if that'll lead to a long lasting external partnership or not.

Don't know if I can post Links but SEC considers insiders any entity with more than 10% ownership in a company (among others). Any purchases transactions of stock they make in that company have to be registered through the SEC. Punishment involves heavy fines and /or jail time.
Makes sense in all honesty. A lot of shady work could be done otherwise.
Thanks for the info! Learned something new today!^.^

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Games like Rocket League, Minecraft, Fortnite, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, Bleeding Edge, Gears 5 Versus, maybe Halo Infinite Arena and so on should be able to be played at 120fps on Scarlett. That's what I expect with the much beefier CPU at least and I think this is kinda what Mike is implying there - on top of in general prettier tech of course. If your game runs in 4K/60 on X already, it shouldn't require that much to run in at 120/144fps on Scarlett. It's a game changer for competitive games.

I expect FPS to be a much more relevant topic next-gen. Finally. Consoles need to move away from the ancient 30fps slideshows imo. Kinda happy most XGS games already run at 60fps today, but it needs to be the standard. Gameplay should be king.

Last edited:

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Games like Rocket League, Minecraft, Fortnite, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, Bleeding Edge, Gears 5 Versus, maybe Halo Infinite Arena and so on should be able to be played at 120fps on Scarlett. That's what I expect with the much beefier CPU at least and I think this is kinda what Mike is implying there - on top of in general prettier tech of course. If your game runs in 4K/60 on X already, it shouldn't require that much to run in at 120/144fps on Scarlett. It's a game changer for competitive games.

I expect FPS to be a much more relevant topic next-gen. Finally. Consoles need to move away from the ancient 30fps slideshows imo. Kinda happy most XGS games already run at 60fps today, but it needs to be the standard. Gameplay should be king.

Sure, that sounds good. But the vast majority of people who play games (myself included) have no problem whatsoever with 30 fps and lol at calling it slideshows.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary

While it may be a nice new buzzword, from a technical side it's much more hardware demanding to double the frame rate than to double the resolution. Also, it's much more difficult to sell, even the most casual TV / console buyers understand the difference between FHD and 4K and between 4K and 8K (and you need a 4K console for a 4K TV - here's the tagline for the midgen consoles), but most of them don't understand the concept of 'frame rate' which is getting more complicated when most of the TV sets are still only using 60Hz refresh rate.

I fully agree that FPS will be more (or should be more) relevant topic next gen, but I think it'll mean that 60fps will be more standard without the sacrifice in image quality / details devs need to make.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sure, that sounds good. But the vast majority of people who play games (myself included) have no problem whatsoever with 30 fps and lol at calling it slideshows.
I used to say that about 30fps and then I saw sea of thieves running 60fps/4k and i hated my Xbox X....for like a couple minutes. Yeah Iam ready for 60 standard

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I like what I read.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Was playing The Surge on GP the other day and it comes with 2 modes for graphics. At first I was on 'performance' by default and it ran silky smooth, plays great. I later found out it also has a 'resolution' mode as well and decided to try it out.

The upgrade in visuals are really nice, but the framerate was awful. Not sure if it was because I was already used to the higher framerate, but it felt super janky.

I for one, cannot wait to get these new CPUs.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I wonder if any of the gamescom world premiers will be Xbox games. I don't expect many game announcements or any studio announcements with X so close, but I guess it could happen.

I think at best we'll get new exciting footage of already announced games, and maybe some more game pass partnerships.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

Agree, but i would also like jaw dropping graphics, so somewhere in the middle and ill be happy.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Sure, Sony (and Nintendo) has killed off some games they could've stuck by, but I think if we look at games that were a) good, and b) not outright failures, Sony has a better track record than Microsoft.

I think that has a lot to do with Microsoft having these big pillar franchises that were selling gangbusters that inflated their expectations, whereas Sony first party titles were generally not quite as successful as a Gears or a Halo or Forza, etc.
Marvel's Spider-Man has probably sold more copies than any Halo or Gears game. Horizon: Zero Dawn is also a huge success. Even The Order 1886 and Days Gone did good sales.

I think the best thing with Sony is that they don't hesitate to launch new IP. Except Naughty Dog, almost every first party studio or second party studio has worked on a new IP this generation.

I really think Microsoft focus too much on Forza Motorsport/Halo/Gears of War and they almost killed those IP for this reason.

I have nothing to back this up, but I have noticed this as well and I think it's because Dontnod are spread too thin across too many projects.
Not only. Episodic is probably the worst way to produce a game, because if you want to release all episodes quickly, you need to work on three or four episodes at the same time, so you can't use player feedback.

If you want to work on each episode one after one, if you want to begin to work on the next episode only when the previous one has been released, then it will take you a lot of time.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I really think Microsoft focus too much on Forza Motorsport/Halo/Gears of War and they almost killed those IP for this reason.
Phil has addressed this in interviews. They had very little budget this generation being the "garage band" within Microsoft; so they had no choice but to invest the majority of their budget in bankable IP as they had no bandwidth to take risks. Given the big shift of gaming higher within Microsoft, I really can't see this being an issue next generation, but I can totally understand the well earned skepticism.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Marvel's Spider-Man has probably sold more copies than any Halo or Gears game. Horizon: Zero Dawn is also a huge success. Even The Order 1886 and Days Gone did good sales.

I think the best thing with Sony is that they don't hesitate to launch new IP. Except Naughty Dog, almost every first party studio or second party studio has worked on a new IP this generation.

That's a chicken and egg problem. I don't hear anyone complaining that Rockstar has stopped making new IPs, because the ones that they stick to are still really well-realized. But if you don't have the infrastructure and organizational knowledge to ship good games, then shipping new IPs won't change that. Something being new has absolutely nothing to do with it being good. And ultimately, I'd rather have good games than new games. Once we can hit a certain level of competence mixed with a certain level of zeitgeist, then I think that opens up the doors to the new. The problem hasn't been that MS hasn't tried to do new things this gen - it's that the new things haven't worked out. Remember, Guerilla DIDN'T do anything new for a long time, before striking gold. Remember, Spiderman certainly isn't new.

From my reading, I think you're conflating several issues that together don't quite sum to a coherent reading of where Xbox is and what their major challenges are.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah fuck 30 fps, and especially fuck games with frame pacing issues.

Whoever say "30 fps is fine"... I will kill you

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
How new is Horizon Zero Dawn? Yes, it has a new world and setting, but how novel is it at heart?

I'm not saying owt about its quality, or whether novelty is good or bad or whatever, more observing that the desire for the 'new' is often only expressed in very particular ways. Don't get me wrong, I'd like some new IP on my Xbox (and I am confident we'll get it), but nor am I going to write off older IP simply by virtue of it being older, especially when 'new' often means more 'new aesthetic' rather than 'new gameplay' in a dramatic sense. The flipside of this is that gaming is so often conservative that a slight twist is very refreshing.

Also, none of Halo, Gears or Forza have been anywhere near 'killed'. That's absurd.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

Sony has published the titles from Guerrilla Games.

Killzone.
Killzone: Liberation.
Killzone 2.
Killzone 3.
Killzone: Mercenary.
Killzone: Shadow Fall.
Horizon Zero Dawn.

They have published these titles from Insomniac games since 2002.
Ratchet and Clank.
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando.
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal.
Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked.
Resistance: Fall of Man.
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.
Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty.
Resistance 2.
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time.
Resistance 3.
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One.
Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault.
Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus.
Ratchet and Clank.
SpiderMan.

The problem with Microsoft is not Gears of War, Halo and Forza. It is the fact that this generation they have lacked the variety that they had in the first two generations. Last generation they had some quality games like

Blue Dragon.
Lost Odyssey.
Dead or Alive 4.
Ninja Gaiden.
Crackdown.
Halo.
Fable.
Forza Horizon.
Gears of War.
Kameo.
Viva Pinata.
Perfect Dark Zero.
Dead Rising.
Project Gotham Racing.
Alan Wake.
Mass Effect.
Forza Motorsport.
State of Decay

But they also tried their hand in games like:

Tenchu Z.
Zoo Tycoon.
Too Human.
Kingdom Under Fire.
Ninety Nine Nights.
ScreamRide.
And then all the Kinect and XBLA stuff that they did.

People would not be complaining about Gears, Forza or Halo if there were more games from different genres. The Xbox360 was a triumph in gaming for what Microsoft accomplished in those first four or five years before they turned most of their attention to Kinect.
The Xbox One is some serious anomaly because of just how thin Microsoft came into the generation, and these decisions to thin the gaming division showed up in game content diversity or lack thereof.

There is nothing lacking in Microsoft's approach when it comes to milking their big franchises. Nintendo does it with Zelda, Xenosaga, Mario, Metroid Prime. Sony has done it with God of War, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank. The biggest problem is having vastly more quality outside those core titles. This is something they are addressing with the new studio purchases.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Phil has addressed this in interviews. They had very little budget this generation being the "garage band" within Microsoft; so they had no choice but to invest the majority of their budget in bankable IP as they had no bandwidth to take risks. Given the big shift of gaming higher within Microsoft, I really can't see this being an issue next generation, but I can totally understand the well earned skepticism.
Oh, i completely believe them about that. At the beginning of this generation, they tried to release one Forza/Halo/Gears by year, between mainline games, spin-off and remasters. It wasn't a good strategy, so they changed it.

I don't know what will be the future of Turn 10 after the next Forza Motorsport, but I'm sure we won't have a new Motorsport every two year. Same for 343 Industries and The Coalition. So even if they keep using those IP, i think they will use those IP better and those studios won't only work on those IP.

That's a chicken and egg problem. I don't hear anyone complaining that Rockstar has stopped making new IPs, because the ones that they stick to are still really well-realized. But if you don't have the infrastructure and organizational knowledge to ship good games, then shipping new IPs won't change that. Something being new has absolutely nothing to do with it being good. And ultimately, I'd rather have good games than new games. Once we can hit a certain level of competence mixed with a certain level of zeitgeist, then I think that opens up the doors to the new. The problem hasn't been that MS hasn't tried to do new things this gen - it's that the new things haven't worked out. Remember, Guerilla DIDN'T do anything new for a long time, before striking gold. Remember, Spiderman certainly isn't new.

From my reading, I think you're conflating several issues that together don't quite sum to a coherent reading of where Xbox is and what their major challenges are.
It's completely true. ReCore, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive were new IP and they bombed. I think the main problem for Microsoft this generation isn't the lack of money or the strategy, but the image of the Xbox brand, which affect sales of those games.

I think I already said it here. A friend told me that if Quantum Break had been published by Sony, it would have had 90+ on metacritic and would have sold well. I completely agree with him. Quantum Break is an amazing game, one of the best game released this generation, but it includes a TV Show and everyone criticize it for that, especially after the focus on TV of the first Xbox reveal.

I am convinced that a game published by Sony or Nintendo will have a better critical reception and better sales, just because people like the publisher. And for the same reason, I'm convinced that a game published by Microsoft will be harder to sell and will have a worse critical reception and will be harder to sell. It's less and less true, because Phil Spencer has greatly improved the image of the Xbox brand, but I think this partially explains why those new IP bombed.

But even if it's true, I still think that Microsoft focus too much on Forza/Gears/Halo IP. I think they should create new IP and don't let a studio work on only one IP forever.

It didn't, at least when it comes to Halo.
Are we sure about that? Have we proves that an Halo game did better than Marvel's Spider-Man, worlwide?

Edit: I found a number for Halo 3, 14.5M. Marvel's Spider-Man is maybe already ahead and if it isn't, it will be before the end of this generation.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
343i, The Coalition and Turn10 are the studios that make Halo, Gears and Forza games respectively. Can we please stop with the they should make other games shite?

Theres about 10 other studios that can make whatever the fuck they want and anyway, Halo, Gears and Forza are the reason Xbox will always be my preferred platform of choice.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
343i, The Coalition and Turn10 are the studios that make Halo, Gears and Forza games respectively. Can we please stop with the they should make other games shite?

Theres about 10 other studios that can make whatever the fuck they want and anyway, Halo, Gears and Forza are the reason Xbox will always be my preferred platform of choice.
Those are the system sellers. I really hope that the extra time ensures that we see Halo once again setting the benchmark when it comes to first person shooters. Similarly hope that the same can be said for Turn 10, they have been stellar, but really hope that they push on with the next Forza, adding more and more options to the title.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The studios can make whatever they want. The Coalition has said they are not playing it safe this time with Gears and aim to make it their 'own' franchise. They've also said they can imagine working on something else. Just let the studios do what they want to do, but make sure the studios you have offer a nice variety in genres and anything between AA and AAA experiences.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

If MS wants to have (quoting Phil here) 'an industry leading 1st party organization', then they can't keep relying on the big three forever, I like them as much as the next person but seeing as Sony let their big studios work on different things there's no reason why in time MS can't do the same.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
If MS wants to have (quoting Phil here) 'an industry leading 1st party organization', then they can't keep relying on the big three forever, I like them as much as the next person but seeing as Sony let their big studios work on different things there's no reason why in time MS can't do the same.
Phil also said he'd like to be kinda like Nintendo. So therefore Halo should always exist as that's their Mario.

Familiar and New IP can coexist.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Forza Horizon, Gears Tactics, Halo Wars and other offshoots are what I would expect to see those studios working on/supporting outwith the mainline series of games.

Theres fifteen studios with twenty plus teams (and counting!) within them all making games. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to focus on those three IP only.

Were going to be swimming in games in the near and foreseeable future - AAA tentpole releases, AA unique creative experiences, resurrected old IPs, brand new IPs, external partnerships and continued id@xbox support. All feeding directly into Game Pass.

The future is looking decidedly positive on all fronts and if people cant see that then they cant see the wood for the trees.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Sony has published the titles from Guerrilla Games.

Killzone.
Killzone: Liberation.
Killzone 2.
Killzone 3.
Killzone: Mercenary.
Killzone: Shadow Fall.
Horizon Zero Dawn.

They have published these titles from Insomniac games since 2002.
Ratchet and Clank.
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando.
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal.
Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked.
Resistance: Fall of Man.
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.
Ratchet and Clank Future: Quest for Booty.
Resistance 2.
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time.
Resistance 3.
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One.
Ratchet and Clank: Full Frontal Assault.
Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus.
Ratchet and Clank.
SpiderMan.

The problem with Microsoft is not Gears of War, Halo and Forza. It is the fact that this generation they have lacked the variety that they had in the first two generations. Last generation they had some quality games like

Blue Dragon.
Lost Odyssey.
Dead or Alive 4.
Ninja Gaiden.
Crackdown.
Halo.
Fable.
Forza Horizon.
Gears of War.
Kameo.
Viva Pinata.
Perfect Dark Zero.
Dead Rising.
Project Gotham Racing.
Alan Wake.
Mass Effect.
Forza Motorsport.
State of Decay

But they also tried their hand in games like:

Tenchu Z.
Zoo Tycoon.
Too Human.
Kingdom Under Fire.
Ninety Nine Nights.
ScreamRide.
And then all the Kinect and XBLA stuff that they did.

People would not be complaining about Gears, Forza or Halo if there were more games from different genres. The Xbox360 was a triumph in gaming for what Microsoft accomplished in those first four or five years before they turned most of their attention to Kinect.
The Xbox One is some serious anomaly because of just how thin Microsoft came into the generation, and these decisions to thin the gaming division showed up in game content diversity or lack thereof.

There is nothing lacking in Microsoft's approach when it comes to milking their big franchises. Nintendo does it with Zelda, Xenosaga, Mario, Metroid Prime. Sony has done it with God of War, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank. The biggest problem is having vastly more quality outside those core titles. This is something they are addressing with the new studio purchases.
(some) People complained about Microsoft being only forza, halo, fable and gears last gen A LOT. And that they were caring only for AAA blockbusters too.

I expect the same people to complain about Microsoft publishing AA first party games two years from now.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019

I think once double fine, playground, Obsidian, Inxile, ninja theory, compulsion, and the Initiative start releasing exclusives the narrative will die down. It's been compounded all gen by the shrinking number of MS studios. I think with all the new studios and the way they've been staffing up it's really going to surprise everyone with just how many games XGS start releasing next gen.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
The only reason they relied on Gears, Halo and Forza so much in the beginning is because they didnt have the support or financial backing to do much else. That is no longer the case, clearly. This has only been stated and talked about half a million times. And who knows what 343i, TC and Turn 10 have planned for the future.

Last edited:

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing...those studios were MADE for those IPs. All the talent that works there goes there wanting to work on those big three games. They have plenty of other studios now to build whatever they want, but the people joining 343 obviously want to be working on Halo at this point. Stop trying to arbitrarily dictate that a studio that brings in talent to work on Gears of War should all of a sudden stop doing that just because you want to see them emulate another company

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
(some) People complained about Microsoft being only forza, halo, fable and gears last gen A LOT. And that they were caring only for AAA blockbusters too.

I expect the same people to complain about Microsoft publishing AA first party games two years from now.
This too. Some will complain about everything MS does. Like people complaining about gamepass because having to buy exclusives makes a console feel "more premium".

Status
Not open for further replies.