• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
The only way Gears and Halo can change is by separating the multi from single. Right now these two are MS e-sports titles and their core gameplay can't change dramatically without selling the multi/esports package separately.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The only way Gears and Halo can change is by separating the multi from single. Right now these two are MS e-sports titles and their core gameplay can't change dramatically without selling the multi/esports package separately.
TThey also can't separate them because they're looking at MASSIVE backlash

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I posted this in the other thread, but I thought it could be useful here too.

Anyone who wants to use Anthem as a comparison here is really abusing the comparing apples to oranges analogy in a rather laughable way. You do realize that Anthem was a brand new IP that was always trying to do some risky thing with a "shared world" buddy iron man suit flying adventure while trying to jam in some semblance of Bioware RPG story elements. This is still going to be a Halo game with Master Chief front and center, along with what will no doubt be some great MP. There is zero relevance to any Anthem crap here.

And more importantly and actually relevant here I had the chance to meet Frank O' Connor at Halo Outpost in Philadelphia in late July, and he got me even more hyped for Halo Infinite. I told him that the two pinnacle gaming moments for me were playing Super Mario 64 on a Nintendo 64 for the first time and then playing the first Halo on the original Xbox, as both were times where I was basically amazed at what video games can be. I asked him if Halo Infinite could give me that type of feeling. He said that obviously he can't promise how I will feel, but that the team's vision is the "spiritual reboot" of the series that has been mentioned publicly. He said that they want you to feel like you did again when starting the second campaign level on the original Halo after crashing in the Bumblebee and emerging into the open world for the first time, and he also mentioned the 1999 Macworld Halo prototype demo where people were asking whether it was real that you would be able to do all of the things such as driving a Warthog in a big open world.

So yeah, not worried about that one guy leaving when Chris Lee (who Frank mentioned to me also when talking) is still in charge of the overall creative vision for the game.

Thanks for this. It's good to hear what their vision and intentions are for Infinite. While I personally don't believe I will ever get that feeling back of playing Mario 64 for the first time, I guess....never say never. I just want Halo to go back to being great again. 5 just wasn't that for me at all.

As for the guy leaving, I was wondering if a huge project like this wouldn't have multiple creative directors and it sounds like it does, so that's only good. Do we have any examples other than Cyberpunk (and we need to see if the game is top notch, I think it is) of creative directors leaving and the game turning out fine?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
TThey also can't separate them because they're looking at MASSIVE backlash

I don't know about backlash tbh.

Current rumors with Blizzard suggest they are developing a seperate Overwatch for casual multi fun (campaign) while current OW is their eeports game.

It can be done. It's just how they approach it.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't know about backlash tbh.

Current rumors with Blizzard suggest they are developing a seperate Overwatch for casual multi fun (campaign) while current OW is their eeports game.

It can be done. It's just how they approach it.
Maybe in the world of living games it makes more sense idk

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
If it has AAA production value who cares what the scope is.

It has AAA production values graphically.

Everywhere else it's still a title that shows its modest budget through its seams.

The difference in scope is reflected in the game's feature set, level design and gameplay depth. In all these aspects, Hellblade is very cleary a AA game to anyone that has a reasonable understanding of what that entails.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'd argue ninja theory is working on AAA games too. And I'd argue Hellblade is a AAA game at least in quality

Hellblade definitely has AAA production values. Senua's character model is astounding. If we're going to get a bunch of games of that scale, but with potentially even better production values (remember, Hellblade was made on a $10 million budget, and now they have MS-level resources), I think they're going to become one of the best studios in the biz.

I've argued for this in Halo for a while, honestly. Decouple MP, have it as a single, ongoing 'generational' MP component that is supported and updated for years to come. That does then open them up to criticism if they try to sell an SP-only boxed product at full price, but maybe they could have the standalone MP be, I dunno, £20, and then have the boxed campaign include access to MP? My thinking would be a separate MP component would be F2P, but then they'd probably need to load it up with purchasable cosmetics to be able to keep it supported, so maybe a small (relative) upfront fee would work better.

/spitballin'

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
It has AAA production values graphically.

Everywhere else it's still a title that shows its modest budget through its seams.

The difference in scope is reflected in the game's feature set, level design and gameplay depth. In all these aspects, Hellblade is very cleary a AA game to anyone that has a reasonable understanding of what that entails.
It has high production value, sound, animations, story, voice acting, focus, art. Idk man. I just disagree

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Hellblade definitely has AAA production values. Senua's character model is astounding. If we're going to get a bunch of games of that scale, but with potentially even better production values (remember, Hellblade was made on a $10 million budget, and now they have MS-level resources), I think they're going to become one of the best studios in the biz.

I've argued for this in Halo for a while, honestly. Decouple MP, have it as a single, ongoing 'generational' MP component that is supported and updated for years to come. That does then open them up to criticism if they try to sell an SP-only boxed product at full price, but maybe they could have the standalone MP be, I dunno, £20, and then have the boxed campaign include access to MP? My thinking would be a separate MP component would be F2P, but then they'd probably need to load it up with purchasable cosmetics to be able to keep it supported, so maybe a small (relative) upfront fee would work better.

/spitballin'

They should do it next gen.

Games are getting expensive and take years and years to make.

If for example they make a game like Halo World with hub like ODST with always on going constant story/coop campaign it would be better than waiting for Halo 7 after another 5 years or so.

The MP package is for the hardcore multi guys. In fact I'd argue they can beta test it with Halo 5 right now. Halo 5 forge is already on PC. Make it the full multi and see how it fares on Steam.

I have every Halo game but only played like two games in multi because:

1- I only love Halo campaign/coop.
2- unlike Overwatch, Halo is absolutely not noob friendly at all. The moment you hit that game you will have veterans up your ass from the first Halo. Like chill dude.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I don't understand the debate the last couple of pages about future AAA from microsoft. Right now we have this AAA capable studios/games in XGS:

343i: Halo
The Coalition: Gears
The Initiative:???
Obsidian: ???/The Outer Worlds 2
Ninja Theory:???
Playground Games: FH/Fable
Turn 10: Forza Motorsport
Rare: Sea of Thieves/???

Plus: According to Booty they want Undead Labs to grow and State of Decay to become AAA

Even if all the other studios keep making AA games or even smaller indie titles, is all this suposed to be not enough? The still can even hire second party via Global Publishings and add a couple AAA exclusives from external studios. I get that Microsoft should be open to free The Coalition and 343 to make different games if they want, but even if they keep making only Halo and Gears games I think the potential portforlio of exclusives looks awesome.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
They should do it next gen.

Games are getting expensive and take years and years to make.

If for example they make a game like Halo World with hub like ODST with always on going constant story/coop campaign it would be better than waiting for Halo 7 after another 5 years or so.

The MP package is for the hardcore multi guys. In fact I'd argue they can beta test it with Halo 5 right now. Halo 5 forge is already on PC. Make it the full multi and see how it fares on Steam.

I have every Halo game but only played like two games in multi because:

1- I only love Halo campaign/coop.
2- unlike Overwatch, Halo is absolutely not noob friendly at all. The moment you hit that game you will have veterans up your ass from the first Halo. Like chill dude.

I do wonder if it's something that they've discussed internally. I have to imagine they have at some point, even as just a 'what if' scenario.

On the latter point, I don't know if I think Overwatch is more noob friendly. I think it's just more inviting, partly because an assist counts as an elim, so you feel like you're contributing even if you aren't doing as well as you might like. There's a lot to keep track of in OW if you want to be doing well; you need to know your hero and their abilities, have at least some understanding of the other heroes as you're going to be coming up against them, and work reasonably well as a team for pushes, etc. In Halo, everyone has the same abilities, so it basically comes down to map knowledge, movement and weapon skill. Which I do agree can feel more daunting, as those are skill/experience-based things, and I think that can make it feel less like a casual "jump in" game, like Overwatch manages to do.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I would say you can compare, Sea of Thieves is a very successful new IP.

I would say more people are currently playing and continually playing Sea of Thieves now than they other games mentioned, and is only getting bigger and better.
It's the difference between a single player game and a live service game, yeah. But I completely agree, Sea of Thieves will continue to grow every year. I think Sea of Thieves could be one of the games with the most active players on the next Xbox.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 steam page got updated from coming soon to a september 10 releasedate. Guess we get all the info and fully live steam page at Gamescom.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
So all I've gotten out of the Halo departure is the game is a train wreck that should be canceled and 343 disbanded. Did I miss anything?

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
It's the difference between a single player game and a live service game, yeah. But I completely agree, Sea of Thieves will continue to grow every year. I think Sea of Thieves could be one of the games with the most active players on the next Xbox.
I hope so my friends and I play that now on an almost nightly basis. It's replaced destiny.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Ybarra's WoW tweet brought back all my yearnings for WoW on console....still shocked neither MS or Sony has tried to snag it.

Still have hope for it esp. with MS getting PSO2.

Please Phil lol....

Oct 25, 2017
9BUKrhx.gif

vZsdlZL.gif

9Yi3hg5.gif

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
that what MS is Good at giving the competitors their exclusives yet we didn't see any Nintendo 1P exclusives on Xbox...

i think they Should Get rid of exclusive

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Quick xCloud question, but why is the initial focus so much on the phone? It's very odd to me. I honestly feel like it's the least interesting place for game streaming to exist, as opposed to a tablet, web browser, or "streaming stick".

Hope so!!!

Wonder if WOTW will be on Switch as well.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I hope so my friends and I play that now on an almost nightly basis. It's replaced destiny.
I don't think I would like to play Sea of Thieves every day. I really enjoy it since launch, but I think I only play it something like one time by week on average (sometimes three times in a week, sometimes not in a month). Sea of Thieves is perfect for that, but I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much if I played it every day.

august

Dec 24, 2018
Quick xCloud question, but why is the initial focus so much on the phone? It's very odd to me. I honestly feel like it's the least interesting place for game streaming to exist, as opposed to a tablet, web browser, or "streaming stick".

Because phones are widely used more and also are brought everywhere someone goes.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if it's something that they've discussed internally. I have to imagine they have at some point, even as just a 'what if' scenario.

On the latter point, I don't know if I think Overwatch is more noob friendly. I think it's just more inviting, partly because an assist counts as an elim, so you feel like you're contributing even if you aren't doing as well as you might like. There's a lot to keep track of in OW if you want to be doing well; you need to know your hero and their abilities, have at least some understanding of the other heroes as you're going to be coming up against them, and work reasonably well as a team for pushes, etc. In Halo, everyone has the same abilities, so it basically comes down to map knowledge, movement and weapon skill. Which I do agree can feel more daunting, as those are skill/experience-based things, and I think that can make it feel less like a casual "jump in" game, like Overwatch manages to do.

I'm pepega at DPS so when I first started OW, the art style was what made me play it for more than two years now + Mercy is such a good introduction to the game and in general to ability based online games.

that what MS is Good at giving the competitors their exclusives yet we didn't see any Nintendo 1P exclusives on Xbox...

i think they Should Get rid of exclusive

Think of the Switch as a big Android handheld. Why shouldn't MS or any company release their games on Android? If you want a mobile target audience, Switch is the best.

Cuphead, Ori and Banjo are getting more sales on mobile/Nintendo. Pray that money get converted to future projects on the big console Xbox.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I want my Crimson Skies next gen propeller plane dogfighter with a kick ass 1P campaign. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow but brighter color palette and with some humor mixed in. Embrace the drama mixed with cheese. Throw trying to be edgy and cool to the wind. TailSpin style.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I don't think I would like to play Sea of Thieves every day. I really enjoy it since launch, but I think I only play it something like one time by week on average (sometimes three times in a week, sometimes not in a month). Sea of Thieves is perfect for that, but I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much if I played it every day.
We are burning through the anniversary update content currently. I am sure we will burn out and move on but right now we are thoroughly enjoying it.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Think of the Switch as a big Android handheld. Why shouldn't MS or any company release their games on Android? If you want a mobile target audience, Switch is the best.

Cuphead, Ori and Banjo are getting more sales on mobile/Nintendo. Pray that money get converted to future projects on the big console Xbox.
These moves make them an ideal partner for so many independent devs out there it also keeps their current partners very happy.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

Flight Simulator and Age of Empires are PC gaming icons; their return is maybe my favorite part of the last year of XGS' revitalization. I realize neither franchise likely moves the needle much for console players, but they mean something to the PC community. Microsoft picked the right franchises to bring back to life. While previous iterations always sold well (multi millions) and retain a strong following to this day, both were sadly victims of the shifting focus to consoles. It's good that they'll be back soon.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Best graphics ever. Insane.

I hope they have an arcade mode for those of us who simply want to see the scenery but not get in to the intricacies of flying a real aircraft. I realise that's totally not the point of MS Flight Simulator, but when it looks this good and you can fly around the world seeing the sights, there's a much wider target audience here than simply aeroplane enthusiasts.

Edit: Just realised this will be coming to Game Pass, obviously. Holy shit yes.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I hope they have an arcade mode for those of us who simply want to see the scenery but not get in to the intricacies of flying a real aircraft. I realise that's totally not the point of MS Flight Simulator, but when it looks this good and you can fly around the world seeing the sights, there's a much wider target audience here than simply aeroplane enthusiasts.

I'd imagine they'd have a casual mode for us filthy casuals to play. LOL

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018

I do too, I always got suckered into buying The Crew because I liked the idea of traveling the country and taking in the scenery. I hope this is something they can add to Forza Horizon but I'm sure loading in these kinds of graphics at 190mph isn't realistic yet (atleast I don't think)

Status
Not open for further replies.