• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
How many pages have we spent on this OT talking about a fucking marketing campaign? All with literally no knowledge of what their actual budget is. Or where, when, and how frequently they are running television, internet, YouTube ads. Just basing it all off of feelings I guess? "I think I saw a God of War/Spider-Man TV commercial 3 months before it launched!!!! MS is running the worst marketing ever"

Looking forward to the press release from MS that Gears 5 will have the highest player count in month 1 compared to other Gears titles.
Pretty much, it's been unbearable to read. Zero actual idea/context outside of their own small bubbles means the company isn't doing enough I guess.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So for Gears 5 so far we've had Escape shown off, Versus shown (with a beta), loads of Horde this week and then we get the Campaign.

Is it a different strategy? Yes.
Is it bad? Well that's a personal opinion.

I think if we're being honest, then because we have yet to see a proper Campaign reveal/demo - which is all 95% of this forum only seems to fucking care about, we're seeing all this drama and literal toys being flung out of literal prams..

Gears 5 is a big game with lots of content and different modes and Rod I think wanted to highlight this with four months of build up covering each mode but because they didn't do the Campaign first then this forum and certain folk on social media regressed into toddlers and have been throwing temper tantrums since E3.

Desperate to see the Campaign? Thats in September. They told us this in June.

BUT I WANT IT NOW! WAH WAHH WAHHH

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much, it's been unbearable to read. Zero actual idea/context outside of their own small bubbles means the company isn't doing enough I guess.
Tip.
People say this all the time about game XYZ and I go to watch whatever the big AAA movie is that week. Boom, a game advert.

I'm not sure what criteria people use to "marketing" as to whether it's been good or not.
I mean, there is a distinct possibility that they weren't marketing to you.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
What they showed at gamescom will no doubt be condensed in to a 30 second spot and iam willing to bet that gamescom trailer in its entirety will be played on NFL opening night
While watching various twitch streamers like Shroud, DrDisrespect (sorry I know), and pretty much anyone gaming related I've been getting hit with Gears 5 and GamePass adds non-stop all week.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Gears 5 will get a 90 metacritic, my brothers and sisters.

The game is so stacked, it should easily be within striking distance just based on how rich and varied the content is right out of the gate.

Unfortunately I have no faith Gears will gets its due for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which it being a long running franchise that has stuck to its gameplay first philosophy. It's not the big shiny new IP people can salivate over because the possibilities of its potential are still unknown to us. We know what Gears is, and Gears 5 appears, to me at least, to be the best one, but I don't know if that'll be enough.

I always laugh how some people on the forum act like Gears 4 was bad and was bad reviewed. The game sits on a 8.4 with 100 reviews.
91 positives, 9 mixed and 0 negative.

That narrative exists predominately in console wars occupied circles for a reason.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
THE ROAD TO LAUNCH
Two weeks from today, beginning with Australia, Gears 5 Early Access will begin to roll out around the world. Where did the time go right?!

With your wait almost over, we know you have burning questions you want answered. To allay your concerns, here's the major information still to come before Early Access launch:

• Characters Explained
  • Pre-Download for all platforms
  • Launch Multiplayer Maps reveal
  • Our Post-Launch Plans
  • What to expect from our launch Tour of Duty
  • The Future of Gears 4 after Gears 5
  • More surprises!
That's it from us this week! Don't forget to join us at 3pm PT today on live.gearsofwar.com for our Gears Weekly Developer Stream as we play Horde on newly revealed map Vasgar. See you then.

TC, out.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
THE ROAD TO LAUNCH
Two weeks from today, beginning with Australia, Gears 5 Early Access will begin to roll out around the world. Where did the time go right?!

With your wait almost over, we know you have burning questions you want answered. To allay your concerns, here's the major information still to come before Early Access launch:

• Characters Explained
  • Pre-Download for all platforms
  • Launch Multiplayer Maps reveal
  • Our Post-Launch Plans
  • What to expect from our launch Tour of Duty
  • The Future of Gears 4 after Gears 5
  • More surprises!
That's it from us this week! Don't forget to join us at 3pm PT today on live.gearsofwar.com for our Gears Weekly Developer Stream as we play Horde on newly revealed map Vasgar. See you then.

TC, out.
Gears 4 has a future?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I always laugh how some people on the forum act like Gears 4 was bad and was bad reviewed. The game sits on a 8.4 with 100 reviews.
91 positives, 9 mixed and 0 negative.

Metacritic is only relevant when the game is over 90, obviously. All other games are complete messes and nobody likes them and everyone involved should be fired.

I jest, but the way some people talk about games, and how MC is given simultaneously too much credit and too little attention is fucking tiresome. As is moaning about gears 5 marketing. We get it already.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Still can't get over how much better Wasteland 3 looks from its predecessor. And it still has months of polishing to go.

I think InXile is on the verge of finally putting all the pieces together and getting scores akin to Divinity OS2 and Pillars of Eternity 2.

The Outer Worlds also looks much, much better in its more recent showings. It's going through the final round of development, so that's to be expected.

And this is just the beginning. They'll get much more funding and resources on games made from the start with Microsoft. Throw in Fable Reboot, and Xbox looks set for western RPGs.

I also think people are underestimating that Xbox will once again become the best console to play WRPGs next gen. I'd argue that was true with exclusives for original Xbox (Morrowind, KotoR, Jade Empire, Fable), 360 (Mass Effect and Oblivion exclusive for a while, Witcher 2, Fable 2+3, lots of thirds) and it will be true again.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I also think people are underestimating that Xbox will once again become the best console to play WRPGs next gen. I'd argue that was true with exclusives for original Xbox (Morrowind, KotoR, Jade Empire, Fable), 360 (Mass Effect and Oblivion exclusive for a while, Witcher 2, Fable 2+3, lots of thirds) and it will be true again.
Agreed. We're actually starting to see the effect of Microsoft giving their devs time and resources actually looks like with Wasteland and Gears 5. Its going to be a sick generation when the other games start pouring in.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Got the UE pre-ordered for that sweet looking steelbook :D

Also Gears Pop is some decent fun. Shame it's not available in Belgium, but im playing on the Win10 version + changed my region to USA. Anyone knows if you could get in trouble for changing your region in order to play a game that isn't available in your country?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Still can't get over how much better Wasteland 3 looks from its predecessor. And it still has months of polishing to go.

I think InXile is on the verge of finally putting all the pieces together and getting scores akin to Divinity OS2 and Pillars of Eternity 2.

The Outer Worlds also looks much, much better in its more recent showings. It's going through the final round of development, so that's to be expected.

And this is just the beginning. They'll get much more funding and resources on games made from the start with Microsoft. Throw in Fable Reboot, and Xbox looks set for western RPGs.

Agree. One of the best things to come out of either E3 or Gamescom is InXile's evolution as a developer. Small sample size of what might be expected as these devs can confidently flesh out their visions. Production values can go a long ways in the acceptance of less mainstream games.

Despite next year being loaded, Wasteland 3 is one of my most anticipated games.

Aug 23, 2018
Good to know I'm not the only one irked by the lopsided amount of commentary about marketing as opposed to the actual game around here.

OT- I just finished my replay of Gears 4. There were some story beats I don't remember about the Swarm so glad I got it in before 5. My main gripe with it (as was when I played it 3 years ago), was how it abruptly ended. It seemed like the story was finally going somewhere when you got re-introduced to Baird, cool mech segment, boss battle, cut scene, credits roll.

And it's not just because it probably only takes 8 hours of play time to beat, but because I think the entire campaign takes place in less than a day? I could be wrong about that, but it seemed like a pretty compact non-epic intro movie of a trilogy.

I'm glad to hear and see that Gears 5 is going to take place over many different locations, and hopefully there is some kind of time jump. Gears 4 did an OK job at establishing different locations for the 5 acts, but toward the end there was some back tracking and environments that looked very similar to the start of the game. Gears 5 looks like it'll have some very distinct locales (BLUE ICE WORLD, RED DESERT WORLD, GREEN JUNGLE WORLD, etc).

Yea, agreed. The OuterWorlds and Wasteland 3 are just the tip of the iceberg.
I can't wait to see what these studios do with a bigger budget. Both studios have multiple teams/projects in the pipeline, so there will be no shortage of WRPGs on Scarlett

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Yea, agreed. The OuterWorlds and Wasteland 3 are just the tip of the iceberg.
I can't wait to see what these studios do with a bigger budget. Both studios have multiple teams/projects in the pipeline, so there will be no shortage of WRPGs on Scarlett

Now if we could just get some JRPGs to go with them...

In all seriousness though I think RPGs are great games for driving engagement in game pass and Xbox is and should invest in all kinds, not just W, A-ZRPGs man. Especially ones with mod support, those things have years long life spans.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Nope I'm not a fanboy I don't do the game sells touting shit, but I like to see my favorite media entertainment be put in the position to do well . Rather that be music boxing game franchises movies etc..
i think we all want Gears 5 to be successful - but marketing isn't black and white where adopting other models from other companies guarantees success for yours. so a position of being blasted on Tv/commercials/billboards or whatever does not guarantee it will do well.

just saying to have a broader aspect with marketing for any game of MS moving forward since GAMEPASS is a vital part of their 1p games now. Also Mixer. Their approach NEEDS to be different to cover all of their services. Well, that's how i see it when they let ROD try this different method of marketing the game to launch.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Wish MS had a small internal team that has the task in getting existing games on Steam. LIke 343 said Halo Wars 2 isnt worked on to get on Steam because they are offcourse busy.
I wish a small team within MS takes on that task.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018

Pillars of Eternity 2 and Divinity OS2 did not receive similar critical acclaim. While POE2 sits at a fairly high 89MC, DOS2 won a ton of RPG of the year awards, and is probably my favorite RPG of the decade (ahead of New Vegas, The Witcher 3 and Shadowrun Dragonfall).

That said, Pillars 2 will always have a special place in my heart as it carried me through a very difficult time - I got run over by a car 10 days prior to its release, and I was in both immense physical pain and tremendous emotional distress as my face was looking like that of Billie Russo, so an immersive 50 hour long game that could help me ignore all that (if only a little bit) was godsent at the time.

All in all, Obsidian is my favorite RPG studio of all time, their ability to take a blueprint from another developer and improve on it is astounding - KOTOR2 is better than KOTOR1, NWN2 is better than NWN1 (Mask of the Betrayer in particular is a gem), New Vegas is better than Fallout 3, South Park is better than Mario & Luigi; I hope The Outer Worlds and their future projects add to their already incredible legacy.

I've never played an InXile game, but I'll probably wait for Wasteland 3 to get my first taste of what they're about. If I really like it, I might try their older games. Hopefully they can join the ranks of Larian, Obsidian and CD-Projekt RED as premier RPG studios.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Pillars of Eternity 2 and Divinity OS2 did not receive similar critical acclaim. While POE2 sits at a fairly high 89MC, DOS2 won a ton of RPG of the year awards, and is probably my favorite RPG of the decade (ahead of New Vegas, The Witcher 3 and Shadowrun Dragonfall).

No, they're not exactly equivalent, but they're two of the highest rated and regarded isometric RPGs to come out of the Kickstarter revival. Definitely a tier above Wasteland 2 and Torment ToN in production values as well.

Wasteland 3 seems to be pushing in that direction, very exciting to see. Sorry to hear about that story man. Glad PoE2 was able to give you some momentary respite.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

That said, Pillars 2 will always have a special place in my heart as it carried me through a very difficult time - I got run over by a car 10 days prior to its release, and I was in both immense physical pain and tremendous emotional distress as my face was looking like that of Billie Russo, so an immersive 50 hour long game that could help me ignore all that (if only a little bit) was godsent at the time.

All in all, Obsidian is my favorite RPG studio of all time, their ability to take a blueprint from another developer and improve on it is astounding - KOTOR2 is better than KOTOR1, NWN2 is better than NWN1 (Mask of the Betrayer in particular is a gem), New Vegas is better than Fallout 3, South Park is better than Mario & Luigi; I hope The Outer Worlds and their future projects add to their already incredible legacy.

I've never played an InXile game, but I'll probably wait for Wasteland 3 to get my first taste of what they're about. If I really like it, I might try their older games. Hopefully they can join the ranks of Larian, Obsidian and CD-Projekt RED as premier RPG studios.

Damn man! Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you're not dealing with serious lingering issues

Gaming is weird like that. It's an escape for a lot of us. Sometimes our best memories in gaming are when it's gotten us through tough times.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Damn man! Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully you're not dealing with serious lingering issues

Gaming is weird like that. It's an escape for a lot of us. Sometimes our best memories in gaming are when it's gotten us through tough times.
Yes, I'm doing fine nowadays, I was experiencing neck and hip pain for about 3 months but it went away eventually. If anything, the accident - and being stuck in the bed for 5 weeks - made me aware of how blessed we are as humans with our ability to move in so many different ways, and I've been really commited to working out ever since recovering, learning some neat bodyweight skills (handstand, muscle-up, kip up) and improving my numbers on the dead lift and the backsquat.

But yeah, games can be great to distract you from your life when you really need it, and add some variety and spice to your daily life. But if you do spend too much time playing them, some aspects of your life will inevitably suffer, so it's always a balancing act.
No, they're not exactly equivalent, but they're two of the highest rated and regarded isometric RPGs to come out of the Kickstarter revival. Definitely a tier above Wasteland 2 and Torment ToN in production values as well.

Wasteland 3 seems to be pushing in that direction, very exciting to see. Sorry to hear about that story man. Glad PoE2 was able to give you some momentary respite.
Oh yes, the visuals in POE2 are sweeeeet, at times I couldn't believe how far Obsidian pushed the presentation in an isometric RPG - the sand storm on the desert island looked great, and the fight against a titan a bit later on even moreso. If we can expect all inXile and Obsidian titles to have at least this level of production values going forward, while keeping their commitment to more complex systems, RPG fans are going to be very happy.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the kind words.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
It's a Gears of War game in 2019, it'll have random overly negative reviews regardless of what it actually deserves.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
MS really needs to nail down their messaging when it comes to exclusives and other platforms. Between Booty and Greenberg it's a friggin mess. Commit one way or another.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Man, I look at the recent Gears games and kind of want to check them out, but then I am reminded that Gears 4 is like 133.7 GB on PC, and I sure Gears 5 is going to be another monster. It is going to take me forever to try to download either of these games. XD I dread that this is going to pop up more next gen, but maybe I will have better download speed then!

Status
Not open for further replies.