• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always laugh how some people on the forum act like Gears 4 was bad and was bad reviewed. The game sits on a 8.4 with 100 reviews.
91 positives, 9 mixed and 0 negative.

Gears 4 was a solid game, but I think the reason for this sort of sentiment is due to the pedigree of the franchise historically speaking. Gears didn't just used to be very good, it used to be exceptional, classic tier even.

For me though, the very first game is still the best. I think it managed a better atmosphere due to some of the darker horror like elements, and mechanically it's still sound and not too far off what we have with the franchise today.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
If MS is going to have First-Party Jp studio. I hope they go all-in I mean I what high production value

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
THE ROAD TO LAUNCH
Two weeks from today, beginning with Australia, Gears 5 Early Access will begin to roll out around the world. Where did the time go right?!

With your wait almost over, we know you have burning questions you want answered. To allay your concerns, here's the major information still to come before Early Access launch:

• Characters Explained
  • Pre-Download for all platforms
  • Launch Multiplayer Maps reveal
  • Our Post-Launch Plans
  • What to expect from our launch Tour of Duty
  • The Future of Gears 4 after Gears 5
  • More surprises!
That's it from us this week! Don't forget to join us at 3pm PT today on live.gearsofwar.com for our Gears Weekly Developer Stream as we play Horde on newly revealed map Vasgar. See you then.

TC, out.

cool

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Gears 4 was a solid game, but I think the reason for this sort of sentiment is due to the pedigree of the franchise historically speaking. Gears didn't just used to be very good, it used to be exceptional, classic tier even.

For me though, the very first game is still the best. I think it managed a better atmosphere due to some of the darker horror like elements, and mechanically it's still sound and not too far off what we have with the franchise today.
Gears 1 lays a solid base, and I like it's campaign for how focused it is. That said, it's way worse than the rest of the series mechanically. Cover is extremely sticky, there is no cover slide cancel, rolling is limited to 4 directions, there's no mantle kick, executions are limited to the curb stomp, bullets come from center screen instead of the barrel of your gun, Gnasher shots have random spread which leads to point blanks sometimes doing almost no damage, you can't grenade tag, and of course the weapon and enemy selection is much smaller. Gears is a good example of a solid foundation with a somewhat flawed execution which was improved dramatically with each iteration.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gears 1 lays a solid base, and I like it's campaign for how focused it is. That said, it's way worse than the rest of the series mechanically. Cover is extremely sticky, there is no cover slide cancel, rolling is limited to 4 directions, there's no mantle kick, executions are limited to the curb stomp, bullets come from center screen instead of the barrel of your gun, Gnasher shots have random spread which leads to point blanks sometimes doing almost no damage, you can't grenade tag, and of course the weapon and enemy selection is much smaller. Gears is a good example of a solid foundation with a somewhat flawed execution which was improved dramatically with each iteration.

And yet none of these things impacted my enjoyment of the game. I guess it's like a Resident Evil or Uncharted type situation, where the most mechanically competent release in these franchises is not necessarily the best or most critically acclaimed. Ultimately what was there in Gears 1 was competent enough that coupled with the better overall atmosphere, direction and pacing, it overcame any subsequent flaws to still be a more enjoyable overall experience. I'm not surprised it is still to this day the highest rated Gears title.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
7 Minutes of Gears 5 Sarah Connor PC Gameplay at 4K 60fps - Gamescom 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ue6N3K2iqk&feature=youtu.be
Wow. That looks super slick and refined. Getting more excited by the day.

And yet none of these things impacted my enjoyment of the game. I guess it's like a Resident Evil or Uncharted type situation, where the most mechanically competent release in these franchises is not necessarily the best or most critically acclaimed. Ultimately what was there in Gears 1 was competent enough that coupled with the better overall atmosphere, direction and pacing, it overcame any subsequent flaws to still be a more enjoyable overall experience. I'm not surprised it is still to this day the highest rated Gears title.
Do you only play the campaign then?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Well yeah, limiting it to campaign means there are plenty of things besides core mechanics that can effect your enjoyment. Gears 2 for instance has much smoother cover mechanics and animations, but the aimless sprawl of the campaign puts it squarely behind every other game in the series for me.

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
MS really needs to nail down their messaging when it comes to exclusives and other platforms. Between Booty and Greenberg it's a friggin mess. Commit one way or another.
I totally agree. Just 2 days ago I saw an article saying Xbox exclusives wouldn't be released on other console platforms anymore... Then the other day I read an article from Booty and he is saying Double Fine could develop multi-plat for some games if they wanted to. I am really confused about MS and exclusive games. Why don't they just go third party... Why buy developers if you don't care if their games come out on a competitor's platform just secure their release on your system. Then I'd only need to buy 2 consoles instead of 3...lol...

Oct 27, 2017
I totally agree. Just 2 days ago I saw an article saying Xbox exclusives wouldn't be released on other console platforms anymore... Then the other day I read an article from Booty and he is saying Double Fine could develop multi-plat for some games if they wanted to. I am really confused about MS and exclusive games. Why don't they just go third party... Why buy developers if you don't care if their games come out on a competitor's platform just secure their release on your system. Then I'd only need to buy 2 consoles instead of 3...lol...
I mean just use common sense dude. Double fine is going to make smaller A-AA games. Those indie type games are fine to release everywhere. The main goal of them is to just have a pipeline for gamepass. Obsidian on the other hand is probably going to get big money pumped into it and make much bigger games. Ex outer worlds 2 is going to be much more of a system seller than Rad 2. But you need those smaller games populating gamepass. It's not going to hurt Xbox hardware tonhave Rad 2 launch on the switch. It would hurt to have Outer worlds 2 be day and date on the PS5.

Booty has already said "when it makes sense". It doesn't make sense to put a triple A heavy hitter on another console. But why not also make a little extra money from switch users who wanna play battletoads

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I get that they want people on their subscription. That's fine and great, GP is wonderful. I don't care if they stay first party or go third party but Jesus Christ don't tell your customers the exact opposite things multiple times within a one month time. This kind of non-committal mess is reminiscent of 2013 marketing talk.

Saci do PXB

Nov 12, 2017
I've never played an InXile game, but I'll probably wait for Wasteland 3 to get my first taste of what they're about. If I really like it, I might try their older games. Hopefully they can join the ranks of Larian, Obsidian and CD-Projekt RED as premier RPG studios.
Well, you'll find their abilities as story tellers in older games. Since you have experience with classic RPG's, maybe you can swallow their simpler visual style. But AFTER Wasteland 3, if you want to try something older from InXile, I recommend Tides of Numenara. If you like it, try the others too. Wasteland 2 would be a shock (I'm loving it, almost finishing it, but it's WAY less impressive than Wasteland 3, totally different budgets).

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Booty has already said "when it makes sense". It doesn't make sense to put a triple A heavy hitter on another console. But why not also make a little extra money from switch users who wanna play battletoads
Right... But like what was already mentioned in roughly 2 days they have sent out completely mixed messages. I mean... Why not make a little more money and bring battletoads to the PS4 as well... Why wouldn't bigger profits make since? Phil has stated many times he doesn't even see a console war meaning there would be no difference in bringing a game out for a Sony platform than a Nintendo platform. But, when you start toeing that line you blur the line between 1st and 3rd party... At that point if its all about profit then eliminate the risk and expense of the hardware. Ultimately anyone can look at this however they want. Growing up old school in the console war era I just don't see bringing games out directly to a competitors system. But times are changing... For Xbox anyway, they are currently the only platform owner that brings games out for competitors.

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

This might just be my interpretation of things, but I read that recent article as there was no more plans to bring existing Xbox exclusives to other platforms. Combining that with what Phil said back towards E3 about how some smaller games make sense for multiple platforms and how Xbox still needs to be a platform and have those big budget system selling exclusives, and the strategy seems reasonably clear to me.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Right... But like what was already mentioned in roughly 2 days they have sent out completely mixed messages. I mean... Why not make a little more money and bring battletoads to the PS4 as well... Why wouldn't bigger profits make since? Phil has stated many times he doesn't even see a console war meaning there would be no difference in bringing a game out for a Sony platform than a Nintendo platform. But, when you start toeing that line you blur the line between 1st and 3rd party... At that point if its all about profit then eliminate the risk and expense of the hardware. Ultimately anyone can look at this however they want. Growing up old school in the console war era I just don't see bringing games out directly to a competitors system. But times are changing... For Xbox anyway, they are currently the only platform owner that brings games out for competitors.
Not caring about console wars does not equate to hand your competitor your 1st party games all the time.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
There's two levels to it.

1) MS doesn't want Sony, Nintendo etc to go away. Good PR, sure, but also more money in gaming market pie is more potential earning
2) They want larger slice of pie. Part of that might be releasing older, smaller games on Switch (note the lack of PS4 releases): more money directly and possible temptation to get Xbox/PC versions of any sequel (also most games on this so far have not been direct FP games, from owned Devs).

These aren't mutually exclusive, nor is it that mad, I think. They want gaming to be as big as possible, and for the biggest slice of the pie to be theirs. They aren't releasing on PS4, IMO, due to that being a direct cannibalisation of their own market.

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Gears POP! is fun - I'm in the ResetEra3 group.
I like Gears Pop! gameplay, but I think it has too much of a pay to win progression system IMO. Kind of dampers the game for me. After Coalition made such a big deal of ridding Gears 5 of loot crates Gears Pop! is stuffed full of them ready to be purchased with real money that can give you a massive upper hand in the game.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I like Gears Pop! gameplay, but I think it has too much of a pay to win progression system IMO. Kind of dampers the game for me. After Coalition made such a big deal of ridding Gears 5 of loot crates Gears Pop! is stuffed full of them ready to be purchased with real money that can give you a massive upper hand in the game.

All the mobile games are like that. You don't have to spend money and the match system is fair. I haven't spent a dime and it's a blast.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please stop this false narrative. Xbox has never ported one of their first party exclusives to a PS. Xbox sees PS4 as a direct competitor as opposed to Switch. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Battletoads gsme gets ported to Switch.

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
All the mobile games are like that. You don't have to spend money and the match system is fair. I haven't spent a dime and it's a blast.
Maybe that's your experience, but the matchmaking hasn't been overly fair in my matchups and paying yields huge dividends. For example there has been 10 or 15 matches I've been in people are building level 2 or 3 turrets and I can't even build a level 1 turret yet. I feel that is terrible matchmaking if it is supposed to be off fair level progression. So you defend P2W for F2P mobile games, what about F2P games on console that are P2W? Not trying to be toxic just asking a question.

Last edited:

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Not caring about console wars does not equate to hand your competitor your 1st party games all the time.
Its amazing the ruckus some people will cause when even a false rumor is entertained about Xbox games coming to PS4. All the shouting and downplaying of Halo, Gears, Forza - hell - Xbox exclusives in general are suddenly sought after commodity now. Lol

Says alot doesnt it?

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Please stop this false narrative. Xbox has never ported one of their first party exclusives to a PS. Xbox sees PS4 as a direct competitor as opposed to Switch. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Battletoads gsme gets ported to Switch.
If you listen to what Phil Spencer says though... I don't think he views Sony as a direct competitor anymore. Look at this link from Matt Booty Interview...

He specifically says Double Fine could stay multi-plat and mentions Sony platforms as a possibility for their games. So your assertion of only Nintendo could very well be wrong.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
What's with the inconsistency of what's available in the new Xbox PC app vs what's only available via the MS Store? For instance, Gears POP isn't available. You might say, they are only including "true" PC games in the Xbox app, but Forza 7 is only not available in that app (and AoE DE wasn't there until it was recently added to Game Pass).

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you listen to what Phil Spencer says though... I don't think he views Sony as a direct competitor anymore. Look at this link from Matt Booty Interview...

He specifically says Double Fine could stay multi-plat and mentions Sony platforms as a possibility for their games. So your assertion of only Nintendo could very well be wrong.
Speaking hypothetically doesn't mean much in the face of their actions. Any new IP game that Double Fine creates as a member of XGS is highly unlikely to get ported to a PS system. However if in the future it does happen, it would mean Xbox and XGS have had a dramatic shift in their strategy.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This will happen as soon as Sony entertains 50% share of Spiderman on films. Another words not happening.

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
This will happen as soon as Sony entertains 50% share of Spiderman on films. Another words not happening.
I wouldn't be so quick to cast such judgment and this goes back to the confusion in the messaging coming from the Xbox camp on this some games are exclusive and other games arent campaign. Which isn't bad ultimately Phil Spencer and Xbox are going to do what they want. If they want to focus on profit it is a good thing to do. Booty clearly states Xbox would likely back Double Fine staying multi-plat to include leaving the door open for Sony systems.

"Booty said if a recently acquired developer like Double Fine wanted to stay multiplatform, Xbox would likely allow it." That statement says quite a bit to me...

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I swear I post this Spencer interview like every month now.

The vast majority of what we do is going to be on Windows, it's going to be on Xbox and it's going to be on xCloud. And the nice thing about xCloud is that it is an Xbox in the cloud and so we don't actually have to go build another version of the game. That is a distinct focus for [Xbox games chief] Matt Booty and the team. We value the relationships we have with the other companies that are out there. We think that we learn from them, we think we can help gaming grow all up with cross-play, cross-buy, cross-progression, all these things that we focus on. We think we'd be incredibly limited in pushing that vision if we weren't strong on console and growingly strong on PC.

Today on the Switch, what we're able to do is we have Xbox Live on the Switch so we can keep those communities connected. And we have, as you pointed out, a certain number of franchises that have shipped over there. But in the end we think us having a native platform in the home for years is going to be critical for to continue to push our vision of where the gaming platform should be.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be so quick to cast such judgment and this goes back to the confusion in the messaging coming from the Xbox camp on this some games are exclusive and other games arent campaign. Which isn't bad ultimately Phil Spencer and Xbox are going to do what they want. If they want to focus on profit it is a good thing to do. Booty clearly states Xbox would likely back Double Fine staying multi-plat to include leaving the door open for Sony systems.

"Booty said if a recently acquired developer like Double Fine wanted to stay multiplatform, Xbox would likely allow it." That statement says quite a bit to me...
You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.
That's fine I'll leave the conversations where they are at. moving on...
Thank you... Finally. LOL

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Context is key, don't focus on one small part of what he said, but the whole.

"I think that the question is less binary about, 'should it be on Switch, should it be on PlayStation?' and more, 'does it make sense for the franchise?'" he said.

"In other words, is it a kind of game where it would benefit from the network effect of being on a bunch of different platforms, or is it a game where we can best support it by putting resources and making sure that our platforms, things like xCloud and Game Pass and Xbox Live, are really leaning in to support the game?"

In layman terms, if it's a multiplayer game and we think we can turn it into the next Minecraft or we have the next Rocket League on our hands, we'll absolutely port it everywhere because that's a lot of money we'd like to make, but don't expect single player experiences on anything other than PC and Xbox.

It's really not that difficult to understand.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
That's fine I'll leave the conversations where they are at. moving on...

That was less a shot at you and more just a comment on how fast this thread moves. Things are constantly getting missed that really help these conversations make more sense.

Xbox's strategy seems kind of... Multi tiered. I don't think some Xbox games on PS4 is impossible, I'd just say it's incredibly unlikely. Not because Microsoft doesn't want to give PS4 those games, because going forward Microsoft will have a lot more games on their platform, so a few of them on other platforms may actually help evangelize, but more because they want their games to use Xbox Live and Sony's probably not gonna let that happen.

Obviously though there's exceptions even to that, look at Minecraft Dungeons, and probably any other Minecraft spin offs.

I think all of us are probably at least a little wrong. This coming gen is obviously very different, it could get real weird.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was less a shot at you and more just a comment on how fast this thread moves. Things are constantly getting missed that really help these conversations make more sense.

Xbox's strategy seems kind of... Multi tiered. I don't think some Xbox games on PS4 is impossible, I'd just say it's incredibly unlikely. Not because Microsoft doesn't want to give PS4 those games, because going forward Microsoft will have a lot more games on their platform, so a few of them on other platforms may actually help evangelize, but more because they want their games to use Xbox Live and Sony's probably not gonna let that happen.

Obviously though there's exceptions even to that, look at Minecraft Dungeons, and probably any other Minecraft spin offs.

I think all of us are probably at least a little wrong. This coming gen is obviously very different, it could get real weird.
Minecraft was always multiplatform, hence the spinoffs being multiplatform. Minecraft as an IP has never been exclusive to a platform nor did MS buy it with that intention.

The only XGS games I can see ported to PS is if the IP's were already multiplatform and if they sold exceptionly well on PS platforms like a Psychonauts 3 or The Outer Worlds 2, for example.

Any new IP games created by XGS, I don't ever see ported to PS and will only ever show up on that platform if Game Pass and xCloud are allowed on it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'm going to refrain from quoting and calling out individuals. Instead will just address this overall sentiment regarding port crying.

If Psychonauts going to PlayStation makes you not want an Xbox, don't get another Xbox. Make your point with your wallet and move on. That said, complaining about the potential of someone else getting the chance to play a game suddenly ruining your experience doesn't make sense. It's a business. Not a sport. If Microsoft porting Sunset Overdrive to PlayStation 6 months after it bombed on Xbox got us SSOD2, would you have been hurt?

There's more reasons to buy a console than list wars. Seems too many people buy these consoles and then treat it like a sports team. Compare lists of exclusives, which based on sales, most people don't buy or play. If non tentpole franchises getting ported means more of those franchises on Game Pass, a service most people have paid through 2 to 3 years, then great. If more non tentpole franchises getting ported after light sales on Xbox means Microsoft's continues to invest and back riskier creative games, great!

Your Xbox value shouldn't be based off of what Xbox does to keep games off other platforms. I get some games have to be kept off competing platforms Day 1 to compete because it's a business. That can remain true while it can also make sense from a business standpoint to port games that don't move consoles.

This site bans for port begging. We should ban for port crying too. Brings out nothing but childish, toxic bullshit.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I'm going to refrain from quoting and calling out individuals. Instead will just address this overall sentiment regarding port crying.

If Psychonauts going to PlayStation makes you not want an Xbox, don't get another Xbox. Make your point with your wallet and move on. That said, complaining about the potential of someone else getting the chance to play a game suddenly ruining your experience doesn't make sense. It's a business. Not a sport. If Microsoft porting Sunset Overdrive to PlayStation 6 months after it bombed on Xbox got us SSOD2, would you have been hurt?

There's more reasons to buy a console than list wars. Seems too many people buy these consoles and then treat it like a sports team. Compare lists of exclusives, which based on sales, most people don't buy or play. If non tentpole franchises getting ported means more of those franchises on Game Pass, a service most people have paid through 2 to 3 years, then great. If more non tentpole franchises getting ported after light sales on Xbox means Microsoft's continues to invest and back riskier creative games, great!

Your Xbox value shouldn't be based off of what Xbox does to keep games off other platforms. I get some games have to be kept off competing platforms Day 1 to compete because it's a business. That can remain true while it can also make sense from a business standpoint to port games that don't move consoles.

This site bans for port begging. We should ban for port crying too. Brings out nothing but childish, toxic bullshit.
You should not bring PS into the conversation when Microsoft has no interest in putting your games there, unless it is through xCloud as Netflix.

Last edited:

~Millet~

Jan 21, 2019

Great post.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017

MSFS 2020 Marketplace Confirmed

"Marketplace Producer, Microsoft Flight Simulator"

"we are looking for an experienced Marketplace Producer to partner with our Executive Producer in the Marketplace/Store presence for the next version of Microsoft Flight Simulator."

"In this role you will be directly responsible for tracking the quality and timely execution of deliverables from our external partners"

"including setting up proper workflow and communication processes for managing the inventory/pricing/strategies/presence of our internal/external Marketplace store."

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I agree that port begging has gone out of hands on ERA lately. Microsoft's messaging didn't help though. Still, I want more Xbox consoles and I want people to be on the ecosystem for good reasons. And we all know that exclusives are a part of why people buy consoles or subscribe to Game Pass on console and PC. I'd hate for customers to take a wait and see approach and seeing thirds start to skip ports to Xbox etc. That's what I really don't want and I still don't see the point in acquiring studios if they are not going to bring more exclusive content from smaller to bigger titles. This diversity will be a big strength for Xbox Game Studios, but if everyone believes they'll get to play Xbox stuff down the road on PS/Switch anyways then this will not be good for Xbox, IMO. Yes, hardware is not where the profit is being made, but am I too conservative to state that I WANT Xbox consoles to be a thing for years to come? Strategy is as important as short-term revenue.

Hope this doesn't sound too defensive when I'm actually very positive about Xbox's future.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I agree that port begging has gone out of hands on ERA lately. Microsoft's messaging didn't help though. Still, I want more Xbox consoles and I want people to be on the ecosystem for good reasons. And we all know that exclusives are a part of why people buy consoles or subscribe to Game Pass on console and PC. I'd hate for everyone to take a wait and see approach and seeing thirds starting to skip ports to Xbox etc. That's what I really don't want and I still don't see the point in acquiring studios if they are not going to bring more exclusive content.

Agreed. It's not at all a simple issue, so people shouldn't be dismissive of genuine concerns. I'm all for getting rid of exclusivity, but only if it goes both ways. Microsoft's digital platform and services would undobtedly flourish if they were available everywhere, but I'm not sure if at the same time their hardware platform wouldn't be marginalized, and I would hate for that to happen. I'm equally interested in Microsoft as a publisher, service provider, AND platform holder, and changes in balance between all those roles affect me as an end customer.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Agreed. It's not at all a simple issue, so people shouldn't be dismissive of genuine concerns. I'm all for getting rid of exclusivity, but only if it goes both ways. Microsoft's digital platform and services would undobtedly flourish if they were available everywhere, but I'm not sure if at the same time their hardware platform wouldn't be marginalized, and I would hate for that to happen. I'm equally interested in Microsoft as a publisher, service provider, AND platform holder, and changes in balance between all those roles affect me as an end customer.
This is where I'm at with it. I don't care about exclusivity for exclusivity sake. I like Xbox hardware, their ecosystem, and the style of games they make. It's not that I care if Halo is on PS5 or switch. I mostly care if it leads to them not being a platform holder and all the digital games I've bought go up in smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.