• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Finally found a sequence of the very important dash move in Battletoads.

HXdTdTR.gif
Man this game looks so good. I'm so happy it's turning out as good as it is, I was a little worried when they revealed it.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Rumor has it Sony is putting a bid down on Remedy. If there was anything about gaming where you might catch me in my feelings of disappointment when it comes to gaming, is Microsoft missing the boat on Remedy. Id be legit baffled by Phil and Co line of thinking here.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Rumor has it Sony is putting a bid down on Remedy. If there was anything about gaming where you might catch me in my feelings of disappointment when it comes to gaming, is Microsoft missing the boat on Remedy. Id be legit baffled by Phil and Co line of thinking here.
I'm guessing you're just seeing that thread? Lol. It's been up for over a month now. Rumor started here in era I think and if actually they do want to be acquired then MS will be bidding too.

Jun 22, 2018
Their line of thinking would be about what the ROI would be on a purchase of Remedy. I absolutely love Remedy's games, but they historically have had long dev times for the games they did for MS, and then sold poorly. Hard to make money that way.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I must admit, Sony buying them would seem super redundant, since they already have plenty of SP/Story/Cinematic studios. I would prefer the chance for MS to at least help fund potential QB and AW sequels but that would seem a little selfish.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

They made two games that weren't that successful and took a ton of money to do so.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I'm guessing you're just seeing that thread? Lol. It's been up for over a month now. Rumor started here in era I think.
Yeah, just now. Guess Im late to the party. Either way, I might have to start making "Yo Mama" jokes about Xbox if this goes down. I'm already talking about Phil and Matt bad-bad in my head right now.

I dont wanna be a savage but I will if I have to.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

9 other studios. Can't have them all. Microsoft's 9 new studios (and growing) is based on a new strategy. Their partnership with Remedy was based on an old one. To me this would be like when Yankees fans cry because they didn't get all the big name free agents in an offseason despite spending the most money.

I'm a Remedy and Alan Wake fan but think a Sony relationship may be good for them. They got a bit stagnant and inefficient. Sony seems to have an efficient pipeline/project management template for those types of narrative driven action games. This is one of those situations that while I wouldn't be disappointed in Alan Wake 2 going to Game Pass, I think it's best they work with Sony and that Microsoft invest in other types of studios who're a step away in blowing up with more exposure through Game Pass or support.

Microsoft and Sony will both add more studios. It's just a matter of which studios get the best lift with their new alignments.

Btw there are still a lot of really talented studios who punch above their weight that are just a little more support, resources and exposure from joining the ranks of well known studios. Going back to my baseball free agency analogy, Microsoft should be playing Money Ball. Continue to grab studios that punch above their weight who haven't yet gained All Star (expensive) status and build them up. Not chase big names who've kind of maxed out what they can be in their relationship with Microsoft.

I'm betting some of the best games Microsoft will publish next gen will come from these "AA" studios and will be considered some of the best Xbox published games put out since 2008.

Last edited:

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
They made two games that weren't that successful and took a ton of money to do so.
They've made 3 games and I loved every single one of them. Remedy are remarkable storytellers with vivid imagination and vision. They also specialize in SP content. Perfect fit for the Xbox platform. They did the same thing with Respawn -- let them get scooped up by EA. Legit madness!

Like, seriously...don't make me go beast mode Phil, my dude! I like you broski! Got me in my feelings like this.....

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
They've made 3 games and I loved every single one of them. Remedy are remarkable storytellers with vivid imagination and vision. They also specialize in SP content. Perfect fit for the Xbox platform. They did the same thing with Respawn -- let them get scooped up by EA. Legit madness!

Like, seriously...don't make me go beast mode Phil, my dude! I like you broski! Got me in my feelings like this.....

I liked them too, but the chances with them going with Microsoft are pretty slim.

Oct 25, 2017
9 other studios. Can't have them all. Microsoft's 9 new studios (and growing) is based on a new strategy. Their partnership with Remedy was based on an old one. To me this would be like when Yankees fans cry because they didn't get all the big name free agents in an offseason despite spending the most money.

I'm a Remedy and Alan Wake fan but think a Sony relationship may be good for them. They got a bit stagnant and inefficient. Sony seems to have an efficient pipeline/project management template for those types of narrative driven action games. This is one of those situations that while I wouldn't be disappointed in Alan Wake 2 going to Game Pass, I think it's best they work with Sony and that Microsoft invest in other types of studios who're a step away in blowing up with more exposure through Game Pass or support.

Microsoft and Sony will both add more studios. It's just a matter of which studios get the best lift with their new alignments.

Control was the opposite of stagnant and inefficient, though. Seems polished, was made really quickly and had a new structure compared to their games. I feel that QB was mostly MS's fault, considering their management was awful in that time. Obsidian Stormlands was a travesty in how it was handled.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018

Respawn was never thought of as a ms partner imo. If I remember correctly Respawn hated that Xbox was the only console you could play Titanfall on. Also EA had first right of refusal, and didn't purchase respawn until Tencent I believe made a bid on them.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Their line of thinking would be about what the ROI would be on a purchase of Remedy. I absolutely love Remedy's games, but they historically have had long dev times for the games they did for MS, and then sold poorly. Hard to make money that way.
All of that can be.......(wait for it!) ...................REMEDIED!

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Control was the opposite of stagnant and inefficient, though. Seems polished, was made really quickly and had a new structure compared to their games. I feel that QB was mostly MS's fault, considering their management was awful in that time. Obsidian Stormlands was a travesty in how it was handled.

Sometimes studios need a change of scenery. I think Remedy seems reinvigorated. I agree that Microsoft's management is different today but putting myself in a developer at Remedy's spot, after working with Microsoft for so long, it may impact the moral to go back exclusively to Microsoft. Obsidian didn't have a long standing experience with Microsoft. It was poor...but it was brief.

If you worked for a boss who didn't bring out the best in you for a decade, got a new boss and felt invigorated, inspired and did your best work...but then your old boss returned claiming to be a changed person, do you really want to go back to the old boss even if there's logical evidence to back up what they say?

I think it's dead. It didn't work out for either side. They got a divorce. It's nothing personal. Just time to look for someone else.

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes studios need a change of scenery. I think Remedy seems reinvigorated. I agree that Microsoft's management is different today but putting myself in a developer at Remedy's spot, after working with Microsoft for so long, it may impact the moral to go back exclusively to Microsoft. Obsidian didn't have a long standing experience with Microsoft. It was poor...but it was brief.

If you worked for a boss who didn't bring out the best in you for a decade, got a new boss and felt invigorated, inspired and did your best work...but then your old boss returned claiming to be a changed person, do you really want to go back to the old boss even if there's logical evidence to back up what they say?

I think it's dead. It didn't work out for either side. They got a divorce. It's nothing personal. Just time to look for someone else.

I completely agree with you, i just really don't believe that QB's issues were mostly on Remedy, which is a sentiment i see prevalent on this forum. Alan Wake was great under MS, but that was when they had a leadership with good vision helming the ship. The 360's later life/ Xbox One's early life leadership... oof.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Looking it up remedy is a publicly traded company, so if Sony or someone else were going to pick them up it would be no secret.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Yup. At the same time though, they acquired Obsidian, even with whatever stigma was hanging over their head. I think the real fly in the ointment is Remedy being a publicly traded company.

So if some one like Google comes in and picks up a major publisher, do you guys think MS or Sony will have the cache to go to full war for content? It seems like content is key and to me it looks like a looming content war. I don't know that Google would ever commit to it though.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I'd be genuinely upset if Sony bought Remedy. Not necessarily because I'd prefer them locked to a different plastic box, but because it would definitively put the final nail in the coffin of a Quantum Break sequel.

An' I need me a Quantum Break sequel.

Jun 22, 2018
All of that can be.......(wait for it!) ...................REMEDIED!
It is possible, but it is not guaranteed.

I can just see Matt Booty going to Phil Spencer, "Hey, Phil, you know Remedy, that studio that caused us to lose a bunch of money while partnering with them? I want to buy them and make that expense permanent."

Again, I love Remedy's games, but from a business standpoint, I really don't see MS feeling motivated to pick up that studio after their history.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be genuinely upset if Sony bought Remedy. Not necessarily because I'd prefer them locked to a different plastic box, but because it would definitively put the final nail in the coffin of a Quantum Break sequel.

QB 2 is dead. It's obvious MS and Remedy have moved on from each other.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018

Your analogy doesnt really work here. Phil and Booty are the new management @ Xbox. They run the entire show differently and have a pretty great track record so far. Talent, resource and time. With Remedy part of the XGS family, they can improve with the help of the other devs from other studios. Again, I think its a great fit for new beginnings. Remedy are god-tier storytellers in my book.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I think seeing the Alan Wake publishing rights reverting back to Remedy puts all speculation about future exclusives to rest. That being said, I wish Remedy well with Control and I hope they can stay independent and develop multi-platform games. Wonder if you guys are buying it?

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I don't think there's a shortage on studios with deep narrative ambitions.

Microsoft and Remedy worked together for 10 years to a mixed result.

Time to move on.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your analogy doesnt really work here. Phil and Booty are the new management @ Xbox. They run the entire show differently and have a pretty great track record so far. Talent, resource and time. With Remedy part of the XGS family, they can improve with the help of the other devs from other studios. Again, I think its a great fit for new beginnings. Remedy are god-tier storytellers in my book.
Maybe years from now, if Remedy is still independent, they may try working with each other again anew but not now. I definitely see Sony working with them before MS does again.

Aug 26, 2018

I do think Sony has realized they don't really need a MP strong first party lineup, so they have doubled down on SP which is their strength & might benefit hugely by acquiring Remedy. I think they are also keen on retaining strong 3rd party partnerships with the likes of Destiny, FIFA, Overwatch, MHW, COD and others for MP which in their mind would be good enough as far as MP efforts go.

Microsoft on the other hand are uniquely positioned with the acquisitions of PG, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Compulsion etc. to do both strong SP & MP focused games & add Gamepass, PC and xCloud in the mix.

Problem I think is if the biggest 3rd party partnerships remain with Sony for Next-gen with the likes of COD, FIFA, MHW. Gamers will have a tough choice to switch to Scarlett with most of their friends still with Sony's PS5 & Sony doing Back Compat is another check-box ticked for them.

I think next gen will see the best of Sony, MS and Nintendo. Great times ahead.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Quantum Break is MS IP, if MS want sequel, they can always give it to someone else to develop it.
I doubt MS want a sequel though.

I do think Sony has realized they don't really need a MP strong first party lineup, so they have doubled down on SP which is their strength & might benefit hugely by acquiring Remedy. I think they are also keen on retaining strong 3rd party partnerships with the likes of Destiny, FIFA, Overwatch, MHW, COD and others for MP which in their mind would be good enough as far as MP efforts go.

Microsoft on the other hand are uniquely positioned with the acquisitions of PG, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Compulsion etc. to do both strong SP & MP focused games & add Gamepass, PC and xCloud in the mix.

Problem I think is if the biggest 3rd party partnerships remain with Sony for Next-gen with the likes of COD, FIFA, MHW. Gamers will have a tough choice to switch to Scarlett with most of their friends still with Sony's PS5 & Sony doing Back Compat is another check-box ticked for them.

I think next gen will see the best of Sony, MS and Nintendo. Great times ahead.
To be fair, no one knows will the 3rd party deals for some games change again in next gen.
But MS can use a (financially)risk move to try getting the PS4 player in next gen: make gold sub free so these people no need to pay more than the console+game's money to play the MP-focus games. Chance of is very low though.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Quantum Break is MS IP, if MS want sequel, they can always give it to someone else to develop it.

To be fair, no one knows will the 3rd party deals for some games change again in next gen.
But MS can use a (financially)risk move to try getting the PS4 player in next gen: make gold sub free so these people no need to pay more than the console+game's money to play the MP-focus games. Chance of is very low though.

Nah, the Multiplayer pay wall is dropping next gen for sure. Gold will live on as a discount program or something.

Aug 26, 2018

If Gamepass, PC support and xCLoud deliver, players will definitely look at MS as a very attractive proposition and won't be surprised if we see a lot of current 360/PS3/Xbox One owners moving to Scarlett. Taking players from PS4 to Scarlett is harder, most PS4 players will take a PC gamepass/xCloud subscription instead of buying an Xbox console.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
If Gamepass, PC support and xCLoud deliver, players will definitely look at MS as a very attractive proposition and won't be surprised if we see a lot of current 360/PS3/Xbox One owners moving to Scarlett. Taking players from PS4 to Scarlett is harder, most PS4 players will take a PC gamepass/xCloud subscription instead of buying an Xbox console.
Are you saying most PS4 players have a good spec PC?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm not prepared to say Sony is gearing up to do multiple acquisitions, until they keep making moves, it's possible Insomniac is just a continuation of their slower natural growth over the last few decades. Or even just them locking up studios that they've effectively had first party relationships with all this time. Basically what I'm saying is I won't believe Sony could be acquiring Remedy until it happens.

Though I reckon if Remedy were looking for a new daddy, Microsoft makes more sense, more because Microsoft would be the most likely to cut them the check, since they know what working with the studio is like. Where as Sony would be buying a work horse after seeing it race.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Had a thought today that if Microsoft would have greenlighted Sunset overdrive 2 then there probably wouldn't a spiderman by insomniac and they probably would not be a first party studio for Sony.

I wonder if Microsoft kicked themselves for that one?

I wonder if the same will happen with remedy. It's possible. I don't get why Microsoft never had them do Alan wake 2. The first game has millions of sales. Steam spy has it at 2-5 million sales(broad I know but they used to say 4 million). Plus Xbox sales I'm sure it sold 4 million plus and was a phenomenal game.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Had a thought today that if Microsoft would have greenlighted Sunset overdrive 2 then there probably wouldn't a spiderman by insomniac and they probably would not be a first party studio for Sony.

I wonder if the same will happen with remedy. It's possible. I don't get why Microsoft never had them do Alan wake 2. The first game has millions of sales. Steam spy has it at 2-5 million sales(broad I know but they used to say 4 million). Plus Xbox sales I'm sure it sold 4 million plus and was a phenomenal game.

Different leadership teams and strategies. No reason for Spencer and Booty to kick themselves over Myersons budget restraints.

Oct 27, 2017

Millions of those sales came when it was included in humble bundles for $1. If Alan wale sold 5 million copies at $60 you can be damn sure there would've been a sequel

And Sunset overdrive was an AAA bomb. The time for a sequel would've come when MS had limited the Xbox budget and they had to pick and choose wisely what to focus on.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
Drew Murray said he'd love to work on a SO sequel. Fuck it, have MS buy the ip from Sony/IG and give it to the Initiative after their first game. Will never happen, but damn would I love a sequel.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Drew Murray said he'd love to work on a SO sequel. Fuck it, have MS buy the ip from Sony/IG and give it to the Initiative after their first game. Will never happen, but damn would I love a sequel.
If the president of SIE WWS said that Sunset Overdrive is not in plans, Microsoft should buy them the IP.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
If the president of SIE WWS said that Sunset Overdrive is not in plans, Microsoft should buy them the IP.

I guess it's not unheard of, Microsoft bought the rights to Gears from Epic once upon a time. It'd surprise me because, from what I understood, part of the deal with Microsoft publishing Sunset Overdrive was that Insomniac retained the IP, that's why Microsoft published it instead of Sony or someone else.

I guess now that Murray is no longer with Insomniac and Sony now doesn't seem interested in continuing the series maybe they'd be willing to sell the IP instead of seeing it fade away to dust, but it'd still surprise me.

Joseph

Jul 7, 2018
Sunset Overdrive was Drew's baby. It wouldn't be all that different with what happened with The Coalition and Gears. I remember Rod saying in an interview that only around 3 people at The Coalition worked on the original trilogy.

Dec 31, 2017
I'm not prepared to say Sony is gearing up to do multiple acquisitions, until they keep making moves, it's possible Insomniac is just a continuation of their slower natural growth over the last few decades. Or even just them locking up studios that they've effectively had first party relationships with all this time. Basically what I'm saying is I won't believe Sony could be acquiring Remedy until it happens.

Though I reckon if Remedy were looking for a new daddy, Microsoft makes more sense, more because Microsoft would be the most likely to cut them the check, since they know what working with the studio is like. Where as Sony would be buying a work horse after seeing it race.
I don't think they are looking at expanding like crazy like MS has done. I think like you said, it was just a natural progression to get them. Remedy seems to be enjoying their independence right now and making a few deals like that Crossfire story mode they are making and such. I guess it will all depend how their next few games turn out and if they get to a point where they need more financial stability.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Sunset Overdrive was Drew's baby. It wouldn't be all that different with what happened with The Coalition and Gears. I remember Rod saying in an interview that only around 3 people at The Coalition worked on the original trilogy.
The difference is Gears was a very successful franchise and SO was a game that didn't appear to sell well and didn't warrant a sequel at the time.

Oct 26, 2018
I guess it's not unheard of, Microsoft bought the rights to Gears from Epic once upon a time. It'd surprise me because, from what I understood, part of the deal with Microsoft publishing Sunset Overdrive was that Insomniac retained the IP, that's why Microsoft published it instead of Sony or someone else.

I guess now that Murray is no longer with Insomniac and Sony now doesn't seem interested in continuing the series maybe they'd be willing to sell the IP instead of seeing it fade away to dust, but it'd still surprise me.
Every time I think about it I laught, Sony didn't publish sunset overdrive because they wanted to own the ip, so insomniac went with ms. Now sony owns the ip and has no plans for it

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Seems like a waste of money tbh. It's not like the SO name has a huge amount of value considering its reasonably low performance, and (if they wanted that sort of game) a spiritual successor seems like it would do the same job and wouldn't cost a thing.

Hell, buying the JSR IP from Sega would be a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.