• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Watching a Jim Sterling video of Games that should have been more successful. Enslaved is in there and man I forgot what a great title that was. Great animations and visuals for the time, actually still looks decent enough and just a very enjoyable game with likeable characters.

See, that's what I hope we get to see again from Ninja Theory in the future. If we're talking AA and AAA, Enslaved surely was AAA, right?

Funny...I just bought it on a whim last week (along with Psychonauts and Crimson Skies) to go on an old school binge. Enslaved is a really nice game so far. It's kind of a poor man's Uncharted...although I enjoy the combat more.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Interesting stuff on the last Pachter Factor (Episode 158) -

Based on what Pachter knows about next gen - PS5 has stuff in it to command a USD 800 price now, possibly USD 600 in 2020. Scarlet on the other hand, what he's seen has been about USD 500 worth. (he also says he could be wrong.. But that comes later in the monologue, seemed more for plausible deniability than an admission of ignorance)

He think that Microsoft pricing lower than Sony is key to the tables turning next gen.

I know he's not considered a bellwether for anything, but I found it interesting and thought to share.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Based on what Pachter knows about next gen - PS5 has stuff in it to command a USD 800 price now, possibly USD 600 in 2020. Scarlet on the other hand, what he's seen has been about USD 500 worth. (he also says he could be wrong.. But that comes later in the monologue, seemed more for plausible deniability than an admission of ignorance)

He think that Microsoft pricing lower than Sony is key to the tables turning next gen.

I know he's not considered a bellwether for anything, but I found it interesting and thought to share.

That would disappoint me however the most important aspect of next gen consoles is the CPUs and hard drives...and I don't see much difference there. If they go hardware level on ray tracing, I think going overboard on GPUs will results in massive diminishing returns per cost.

Pachter is usually wrong.

...but yeah, hand wringing over anything Pachter says is a waste of energy.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
$500 is probably the sweet spot. It's hard to imagine Sony going higher than that because it's such a massive risk. I'm sure Microsoft would love for them to take that risk though.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
$500 is probably the sweet spot. It's hard to imagine Sony going higher than that because it's such a massive risk. I'm sure Microsoft would love for them to take that risk though.

I dunno.

Customer 'stickiness' this gen has got to be so much higher than previous generations, with subscriptions, digital downloads etc.. I don't think that outside of Nintendo - console manufacturers have ever had customers invest into their larger ecosystems beyond just the box that was bought for gaming.

That's why I think that even a higher price for Sonys's next box wouldn't move the needle as much as it might have (and did) with the X1/PS4 launch.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'd be SO interested in how the market would move if Sony came out with a more expensive, but more powerful box. Does Sony pull the price of the entire market up? Does PC come up? Does Xbox make back ground? Who knows! I mean, at this point, I feel like there's a high chance I will be surprised by many things from all of the major players this next year. Things are a-changing, and big pieces are subtly but significantly shifting beneath our feet.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
That would be a noticeable difference in power, if true. MS cannot allow that at any cost, imo. They will need to do whatever they can to make sure they are very very close in power.

To me, that would be a MAJOR fuck up to be that underpowered compared to the competition.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Yep, the beta of the mobile app added PC game support over the past week - PC and console titles now each have their own 'tabs' for listing available titles, and managing playlists etc.

Edit: quick tip! When searching for titles that are on both PC and Xbox, they'll appear twice in the search results - before hitting 'install', check that you're installing the right one! (I couldn't work out why Kingdom Come: Deliverance wasn't downloading to my console...only to find that I had inadvertently kicked off the install on my PC instead).

Oh wow awesome, thanks for the tip. I had no idea there was even a game pass beta app.

Also, side note, the game pass PC library is way better than I thought, saw a lot of games on there that surprised me, some I didn't even know were on PC.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno.

Customer 'stickiness' this gen has got to be so much higher than previous generations, with subscriptions, digital downloads etc.. I don't think that outside of Nintendo - console manufacturers have ever had customers invest into their larger ecosystems beyond just the box that was bought for gaming.

That's why I think that even a higher price for Sonys's next box wouldn't move the needle as much as it might have (and did) with the X1/PS4 launch.
Well not when people can go cheaper in next gen even with sub(or maybe don't need sub at all, who knows how will gold sub end up in next gen).
But then i never trust Pacther's price prediction anyway lol.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
That would be a noticeable difference in power, if true. MS cannot allow that at any cost, imo. They will need to do whatever they can to make sure they are very very close in power.

To me, that would be a MAJOR fuck up to be that underpowered compared to the competition.
It won't be "fuck up" due to "underpowered" though.
Because MS will be always "overpowered" than any consoles unless they turn 180 and not release any 1st party games on PC lol.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
He is but we've been hearing that both next gen consoles will be very, very close to one and other.

Someone said it would be the difference between the Xbox One and Xbox One S in terms of comparison.
That sounds awesome. It means they both have to bring their A game to everything else, from content to services and accessories.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be SO interested in how the market would move if Sony came out with a more expensive, but more powerful box. Does Sony pull the price of the entire market up? Does PC come up? Does Xbox make back ground? Who knows! I mean, at this point, I feel like there's a high chance I will be surprised by many things from all of the major players this next year. Things are a-changing, and big pieces are subtly but significantly shifting beneath our feet.

Depends on the country/ region. Japan and mainland Europe are locked by Sony/Nintendo regardless of price. The US is a lot more fickle than people on this board like to admit. If the nextbox hits $100 cheaper than the PS5 and has halo there on day 1 it's going to shift the tide, in the US. Then it's just a race to see which console gets the mindshare and is the de facto 3rd party box. That's why it'll be critical for the nextbox reveal to really go all out. You have to show Fable, a new rare game, a cg trailer of the Iniative etc

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Funny...I just bought it on a whim last week (along with Psychonauts and Crimson Skies) to go on an old school binge. Enslaved is a really nice game so far. It's kind of a poor man's Uncharted...although I enjoy the combat more.
The story is where it is at. The combat gets better as the game expands, but it is a glorious story too. This is one of those huge areas where Ninja Theory is underrated, like immensely underrated.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

That's the question though, isn't it? Does power matter more or price? Reality: neither. It's all about perception of value. It helps to have a great product and it helps to have a low price. But, the perception of value never rides on just one thing, even if the internet can only focus on one thing at a time (or utterly fail at focusing at multiple things). A great games lineup, desirable services around the ecosystem, good marketing, etc. are all extremely important considerations.

We don't know what will matter to the wider narrative in a year's time. I think we would all look back on the industry in 2013 and wonder how we could be so shortsighted then on a range of matters. But the narratives from 6 years ago still have significant impact today. I would never trust anyone's take today as a certainty. The market, the world, and humans in general are unpredictable. For all we know, the trade war explodes tomrrow and one or every company delays hardware by 2 years because entire component chains need to be re-sourced and redirected.

No major fuck ups, just bets that may or may not turn out because none of us are prophets or fortune tellers.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I dunno.

I think this is largely overrated. Digital 360 titles and Gold subs didn't do shit to save the XB1. And, more importantly, the vast majority of gamers just play a few games and then put them away for the next one. Nobody* is going back to play their PS4 library over and over once they move to PS5. If XB2 is seen as a significantly better value, tons of people will switch just like they switched from the 360 to the PS4 despite losing their cheevos, friend lists, digital purchases, DLC, gold subs etc.

*Not literally nobody because people like Era posters exist, but not enough to matter.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Pachter knows nothing. Never take the guy seriously. He should have been fired years ago.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Can't we deduce how much studio acquisitions cost by following Microsoft's profit vs cash on hand

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
While I'm sure it's not a hard and fast requirement, it's definitely a thought that's going to cross minds when discussing an acquisition. Having studios working on the same engine makes it easier to share tech and experience, and it makes horizontal mobility easier.

Like for sure if there's a studio with a pedigree and a lot of potential that comes to Xbox about an acquisition or has a strong relationship with them, and all other aspects or the acquisition make sense, Phil isn't not going to cut a check just because they don't use Unreal.

But when they're looking at some midsized studio somewhere and weighing their options, using Unreal will definitely be a tick in the pros column.

Right this was kinda my line of thinking, it just got me thinking that with Insomniac now owned by Sony those independent studios that are on the cusp of AAA (4A, Asobo, IO, Ready at Dawn, Remedy to name a few) are gonna get snapped up fast either by Sony or MS (or google) and most of them use their own proprietary engines.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

No way that is going to happen. Phil even said last year I believe that they would never make that mistake again, or that they would not be the most underpowered system ever again.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Hello,

So, this is one day close to be an one year old thing, but did anything new came from this bit of interview in August '18 between Aaron Greenberg and Jeuxvideo.com (FR) regarding Microsoft and DONTNOD working on something?

We are collaborating with many major studios and we are much more focused on teams than on their location. And it's a very profitable for us, we have Rare in the UK, Mojang in Sweden, we are working on things with DONTNOD in France, Playground in the UK, we have a lot of partners in Europe with whom we have been working with for years. I think the addition of these new studios is a very clear message from us. We are delighted, for example, with the arrival of Ninja Theory teams and we are looking forward to investing more and more in Europe.

I don't think it was ever picked up anywhere else but I'm curious. Apparently DONTNOD still have one unveiled project form 2020 (alongside their new one with Focus) and one or two after 2020.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
This is so fucking cool

img_4089.jpg

awesome!

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018

With MS now more focused on trying to bring Xbox GamePass on multiple consoles (even competitor consoles if possible) and devices, I don't think MS is as concerned with selling more consoles than Sony... Rather I think MS wants to give the best experience in playing Xbox game division experiences on their Xbox brand-console. So I think his take on MS has to sell more consoles than Sony is completely the wrong way to look at the changing situation.

Not that MS doesn't want to sell and be the number 1 Console seller... I just think with their shifting business model... It's not a make or break for them.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Xbox next gen is going to be a bit like Google and the pixel phone. They're going to keep building hardware, but you buying it isn't critical to them anymore.

Google want everyone on Android, not pixwl. Pixel is a bonus.

MS want you on Gamepass next gen. If you do it on Scarlett that's just a bonus to them.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Hello,

So, this is one day close to be an one year old thing, but did anything new came from this bit of interview in August '18 between Aaron Greenberg and Jeuxvideo.com (FR) regarding Microsoft and DONTNOD working on something?

I don't think it was ever picked up anywhere else but I'm curious. Apparently DONTNOD still have one unveiled project form 2020 (alongside their new one with Focus) and one or two after 2020.

Interesting. Never seen this interview or knew they were working on something. Explains why Microsoft is paying to get Life is Strange into Game Pass so soon after they release. Trying to get Dontnod Xbox exposure.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Serious question from my side... When has Pachter literally said anything that later became true? Right: never.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Xbox next gen is going to be a bit like Google and the pixel phone. They're going to keep building hardware, but you buying it isn't critical to them anymore.

Google want everyone on Android, not pixwl. Pixel is a bonus.

MS want you on Gamepass next gen. If you do it on Scarlett that's just a bonus to them.

Or it's like Amazons Kindle Fire. I agree though. Console is a bonus. Just one leg of the stool now.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
My personal curiosity: we know MS formed a new AOE studios but it's not a developer. So, are There any chances to buy Relic at least? From this source, Relic doesn't seems as so profitable company. Revenues aren't really good.

I know There was some interest by MS

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
He is but we've been hearing that both next gen consoles will be very, very close to one and other.

Someone said it would be the difference between the Xbox One and Xbox One S in terms of comparison.

That is nowt likely the case

I think this is largely overrated. Digital 360 titles and Gold subs didn't do shit to save the XB1. And, more importantly, the vast majority of gamers just play a few games and then put them away for the next one. Nobody* is going back to play their PS4 library over and over once they move to PS5. If XB2 is seen as a significantly better value, tons of people will switch just like they switched from the 360 to the PS4 despite losing their cheevos, friend lists, digital purchases, DLC, gold subs etc.

*Not literally nobody because people like Era posters exist, but not enough to matter.

You can't compare 360 era to current gen. Digital has grown like shit ton. I think digital sales on Playstation already account over 50% of sales, closer to 60.

And this gen didn't have BC when it launched. Next gen will have and that is game changer when you take it on account with how digital sales raise all the time

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland

I agree. Even if backlog is more important now than in the past, there is still a lot of people which buy their games at launch, and I think those people are the one who buy a new console at launch. If people want to continue to play their PlayStation 4 games, they will keep their PlayStation 4, I don't think they will choose to not buy a Xbox if they really want to play Halo Infinite.

Oct 27, 2017
Pachter is usually wrong.
Not really. If you look at his track record he's not any wronger than any other analyst. Nobody is 100% right in their speculations but he's more on the money than anybody on this forum

Remembering his switch lite predictions and nobody here could fathom Nintendo doing that and called him an idiot?

His numbers may be off but I could definitely see Sony testing the waters with a $600 console after the success of the pS4

Serious question from my side... When has Pachter literally said anything that later became true? Right: never.
just a quick google shows he called the WiiU dead in 2013. Called the Vita dead in 2015. Called the switch lite, called the Xbox One massive price drops in 2014

Last edited:

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I agree. Even if backlog is more important now than in the past, there is still a lot of people which buy their games at launch, and I think those people are the one who buy a new console at launch. If people want to continue to play their PlayStation 4 games, they will keep their PlayStation 4, I don't think they will choose to not buy a Xbox if they really want to play Halo Infinite.

I think both next gen consoles with launch with a blast this time, they will try to emulate the Switch/Breath of the Wild approach. I see PS5 with The Last of Us 2 (not believing the spring release one bit) and Xbox Two with Halo Infinite. All the rest will be interesting to see. BC will be important but only if both companies take a fundamentally different approach to it. It would have mattered a lot more if Xbox One had adopted in back in 2013.

Jan 4, 2018
My personal curiosity: we know MS formed a new AOE studios but it's not a developer. So, are There any chances to buy Relic at least? From this source, Relic doesn't seems as so profitable company. Revenues aren't really good.

When another poster suggested AOE is not a "Real" studio:
Publishing already existed but is now headed up by Peter and has a new name - that wasn't announced as a new studio AFAIK, but was part of the overall change in gaming at Microsoft.

Age however is now a studio. What that means specifically is just like 343, Minecraft, Coalition, Rare, and others, there is now an independent team that is responsible for creating and supporting Age specifically and running that business. Make sense?

Aug 26, 2018

Interesting indeed, thanks for sharing.

With the trade war between US and China, I don't think both consoles can go below 499$ for sure.

Sony are also not dumb enough to price again at 599$. If Pachter is right, Sony being more powerful puts MS in an interesting bind, Phil said they would not lose out on the power battle again. If he is wrong, then they will atleast sell 50$ less than Sony.

My Prediction (hope) is PS5 at 499$ (maybe 5-10% more powerful) and Xbox Scarlett at 449$. Sony >>GPU>>Xbox, Xbox >>CPU>>Sony ( because of the great cooling system from the Surface team).

Last edited:

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I think he said once that Nintendo could sell a cardboard box with their logo on it and people would buy it.

Well yeah. Their last game, Dawn of War 3, bombed.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Hello,

I don't think I heard about this before, guessing a next generation exclusive or it's just more Gamepass partnership. Would be cool if they picked up Dontnod and Asobo. This would be my XGS France dream team. Well them plus spiders but they are already owned by another company.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I dunno.

This is super under rated. Especially with backwards compatibility, game pass, and whatever Sony's eventual answer to game pass is. Changing camps this gen doesn't just mean leaving behind exclusive franchises, it means leaving behind a whole library built up over possibly two generations.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
This is super under rated. Especially with backwards compatibility, game pass, and whatever Sony's eventual answer to game pass is. Changing camps this gen doesn't just mean leaving behind exclusive franchises, it means leaving behind a whole library built up over possibly two generations.
I wonder how many people stuck with Xbox this gen just to keep their Gamerscore.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I think both next gen consoles with launch with a blast this time, they will try to emulate the Switch/Breath of the Wild approach. I see PS5 with The Last of Us 2 (not believing the spring release one bit) and Xbox Two with Halo Infinite. All the rest will be interesting to see. BC will be important but only if both companies take a fundamentally different approach to it. It would have mattered a lot more if Xbox One had adopted in back in 2013.
I really think The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima will launch in the first half of 2020. If Sony has something big for PlayStation 5 launch, it will be Horizon 2.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Not really. If you look at his track record he's not any wronger than any other analyst. Nobody is 100% right in their speculations but he's more on the money than anybody on this forum

Remembering his switch lite predictions and nobody here could fathom Nintendo doing that and called him an idiot?

His numbers may be off but I could definitely see Sony testing the waters with a $600 console after the success of the pS4

just a quick google shows he called the WiiU dead in 2013. Called the Vita dead in 2015. Called the switch lite, called the Xbox One massive price drops in 2014

Yeah he has been right numerous times and also have said some stupid stuff, but people shouldn't really said he has never been right and i also think he isn't right this time. I am fairly certain both consoles are super close each other.

Yeah agree. People are sleeping on this.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Hello,

Huh, this is the first time I've seen this, really cool to hear. Assuming it was a whole game and not just a partnership for Game Pass or something, and depending on when in 2020 it'll release, we may hear something about it it X in November. I've really enjoyed what Dontnod has done so far, I had a lot of problems with Vampyr but I liked the idea behind it, it just felt like it needed more polish and more time to realize some of the mechanics and balance some of the encounters.

Status
Not open for further replies.