• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I would like to believe that eventually you will see Sony following a similar route, putting their games on PC and having a streaming platform. It is just the way that tech is going. No sane business will lock itself from gaining more business.

When it comes to games, Microsoft is primed to more than compete with any publisher out there, and if Undead Labs and Compulsion make that jump in quality...........

I don't think Sony is going to be pressured into following Microsoft's footsteps. Sony's vision for Playstation is working extremely well for them. I believe Microsoft's vision will ultimately work well for them too, and it perfectly aligns with the company as a whole.

It's basically an iOS vs Android difference in philosophy. A closed ecosystem and walled garden where you incentivize and/or strong arm consumers to buy into and stay within the confines of your platform, and an open ecosystem where there's a platform holder developed series of devices to experience the ecosystem through - as well as a number of other avenues with which you can do the same. Both methodologies are perfectly justifiable from a business sense, and effective depending on the company utilizing it.

I truly believe we're about to enter a generation where all platform holders are firing on all cylinders, each excelling within their own respective strengths and focuses - and the only "winners" will be consumers.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'll just keep playing Microsoft and Sony against each other. Keep getting them to compete for me. Then I'll trick them...and keep buying stuff in both ecosystems.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Guess I need help, I have to play 5 escalation matches in gears 4, but in the brazil server no one plays escalation, so I need help from people from north america to invite me to play some games

There is no gears OT so I cant ask anyone from them

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
So do we think xCloud is going to be limited to select games or will it be an extension of your digital library, whether it's gamepass, owned, or XBL gold?

I posted this article an OT ago so I doubt I'll be able to find it again, but judging by what they've said it'll be up to publishers. My expectation is at least, for X-Cloud not for local streaming, all Game Pass games will be streamable. Otherwise I'm thinking major publishers will roll the capability in to their subscription services.

It's possible, with next gen, they force every publisher to allow you to stream every game the same way they did with digital distribution this gen, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
I posted this article an OT ago so I doubt I'll be able to find it again, but judging by what they've said it'll be up to publishers. My expectation is at least, for X-Cloud not for local streaming, all Game Pass games will be streamable. Otherwise I'm thinking major publishers will roll the capability in to their subscription services.

It's possible, with next gen, they force every publisher to allow you to stream every game the same way they did with digital distribution this gen, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Publishers likely won't complain about enforcing XCloud for all next-gen games, since it's basically following the traditional model of purchasing a game. However, if it's Subscription gaming, that's a completely different story.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
When did they say that?

Game Informer interview with Matt Booty
Ben Hanson: So if a studio like Double Fine wanted to keep releasing multi-platform, I know Psychonauts 2 is still coming to other systems out there, but if they were interested in staying multiplatform moving into the future even though they are a Microsoft Studio would you allow such a thing?

Matt Booty: Yeah, I think we would. I think that the question is less binary than should it be on Switch, should it be on PlayStation and more, does it make sense for the franchise? In other words is it a kind of game where it would benefit from the network effect of being on a bunch of different platforms or is it a game where we can best support it by putting resources and making sure that our platforms, things like xCloud and Game Pass and Xbox Live, are really leaning in to support the game. And so something like Minecraft, I think it was a no-brainer that we were never going to try and take anything from players that existed on those platforms and certainly we've added platforms since that acquisition. But then we're obviously going to have our big franchises like Forza and Halo and Sea of Thieves, where those games are designed from the outset to really exist on Xbox, I think that will continue.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
When did they say that?

In a recent podcast or interview Matt Booty (iirc) said that if their studios want to make a multi-platform game then they won't say no. That doesn't mean they'll say yes either. My interpretation is that if Microsoft sees the benefit of it (like a Minecraft type situation)n then they'd be willing to publish on other platforms besides Xbox and PC.

EDIT: Here's the quote:
Yeah, I think we would. I think the question is less binary about, 'Should it be on Switch, should it be on PlayStation' and more, 'Does it make sense for the franchise?' In other words, is it a kind of game where it would benefit from the network effect of being on a bunch of different platforms, or is it a game where we can best support it by putting resources and making sure that our platforms, things like xCloud and Game Pass and Xbox Live, are really leaning in to support the game,

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Thats why I said for people to chill when they got mad at MS for OW2 not coming out on PS5 etc.

I am petty sure OW2 WILL be on PS5.
We're talking about an OW2 but the first one has yet to come out, I feel like I hear more about the sequel to the game these days lol

Though I wonder if Matt was specifically talking about IP that have previously released titles on other platforms.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Thats why I said for people to chill when they got mad at MS for OW2 not coming out on PS5 etc.

I am petty sure OW2 WILL be on PS5.
From the way Booty talks about the Outer Worlds 2 it is probably gonna NOT be on PS5. And I view Matt's comments as a "if it makes senses to us". Like if they believe they had the next Minecraft, Fortnite, or something on their hands but other than that I don't really see. But I think we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From the way Booty talks about the Outer Worlds 2 it is probably gonna not be on PS5. And I view Matt's comments as a "if it makes senses to us". Like if they believe they had the next Minecraft, Fortnite, or something on their hands but other than that I don't really see. But I think we will have to wait and see.

Yep. For all we know, the PS4 version will make more money than other platforms. Is all about the green.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
We're talking about an OW2 but the first one has yet to come out, I feel like I hear more about the sequel to the game these days lol

Though I wonder if Matt was specifically talking about IP that have previously released titles on other platforms.
IDK. If he was talking Switch he was probably thinking about Cuphead. That's a game that was first on Xbox that then went to other platforms. I guess the goal of Booty's answer was to say that there's no hard set limits on what can or can't be on other platforms.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
IDK. If he was talking Switch he was probably thinking about Cuphead. That's a game that was first on Xbox that then went to other platforms. I guess the goal of Booty's answer was to say that there's no hard set limits on what can or can't be on other platforms.
Good point. One way or another I don't mind what MS does with their properties as long as they're better on Xbox :P

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the way Booty talks about the Outer Worlds 2 it is probably gonna not be on PS5. And I view Matt's comments as a "if it makes senses to us". Like if they believe they had the next Minecraft, Fortnite, or something on their hands but other than that I don't really see. But I think we will have to wait and see.
This. MS will take a wait and see approach and analyze the data before determining if the Outer Worlds sequels will become exclusive or multiplatform. If the Outer Worlds becomes a massive success than it's likely in MS best interest to keep the IP multiplatform.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
This. MS will take a wait and see approach and analyze the data before determining if the Outer Worlds sequels will become exclusive or multiplatform. If the Outer Worlds becomes a massive success than it's likely in MS best interest to keep the IP multiplatform.
I'm not entirely sure that'll be the case. While the Outer Worlds may be a huge success, driving some to think that they'd want the sequel to be multiplatform, I don't personally see them wanting to push these teams multiplat either. That would require more resources for each platform and potentially take time away from the teams to work on other additional content for XGS and Game Pass.

Minecraft is one thing, but a brand new IP from Obsidian? I guess we'll see, but I have my doubts.

Then again, I also would never expect Microsoft to release Halo onto PlayStation, but Colin Moriarty made it pretty clear that there was some work actually being done towards that with Halo: MCC at one point.....

*shrug*

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be weird to have a system launch without a Forza game. With it being a console launch might be the time for a Forza branded kart racer. As far as the main series goes, the series could use a large overhaul in terms of career progression.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sure that'll be the case. While the Outer Worlds may be a huge success, driving some to think that they'd want the sequel to be multiplatform, I don't personally see them wanting to push these teams multiplat either. That would require more resources for each platform and potentially take time away from the teams to work on other additional content for XGS and Game Pass.

Minecraft is one thing, but a brand new IP from Obsidian? I guess we'll see, but I have my doubts.

Then again, I also would never expect Microsoft to release Halo onto PlayStation, but Colin Moriarty made it pretty clear that there was some work actually being done towards that with Halo: MCC at one point.....

*shrug*

Never gonna happen.
Matt was talk about acquisitions and games that was already in production.
Also, Colin is full of bullshit.

It's going to be weird to have a system launch without a Forza game. With it being a console launch might be the time for a Forza branded kart racer. As far as the main series goes, the series could use a large overhaul in terms of career progression.

Horizon Japan :P

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

*shrug*
If in the event Outer Worlds is a huge success, and by huge success I mean Fallout 3 numbers, and MS wanted to keep the IP multiplatform then I simply see a part of Obsidian being dedicated as The Outer Worlds team while the studio as a whole continue to grow with multiple teams.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Speaking on the GI interview, how I interpreted what he said was that games like Minecraft will stay multi platform because it makes too much money to be taken off other platforms. Games that are already exclusive will stay exclusive. I don't think it's likely they start putting Halo or gears on other platforms.

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Never gonna happen.
Matt was talk about acquisitions and games that was already in production.
Also, Colin is full of bullshit.

I'm not going to start a fight on whether Colin was right or not, but he's definitely got much more reliable sources that most of us in here.....

If in the event Outer Worlds is a huge success, and by huge success I mean Fallout 3 numbers, and MS wanted to keep the IP multiplatform then I simply see a part of Obsidian being dedicated as The Outer Worlds team while the studio as a whole continue to grow with multiple teams.

While this is true, that means we'll have to see something astronomical either sales wise form OW1 or MS will have to be forced to pay a large sum of money in order to acquire publishing rights to the IP, making the price more justifiable. I could see it go exclusive or multiplat, but I'm betting more so on the IP going exclusive (unless its the next Fallout sales wise).

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

*shrug*

Yes, Colin Moriarty, the best of the best of investigative reporters.

Taking him at his word is about as productive as believing in someone like crapgamer for anything legitimate.

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Yes, Colin Moriarty, the best of the best of investigative reporters.

Taking him at his word is about as productive as believing in someone like crapgamer for anything legitimate.
Okay, there's a difference between quoting a fanboy and quoting a well know person in the gaming sphere that actually has connections within the industry.

Can we please remain objective here? I get there is controversy around the dude, but that does not relate to the information he provided.

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft spending billions in R&D with Scarlett to launch all their games on Playstation and Nintendo...
This is next level port begging.

giphy.gif

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, there's a difference between quoting a fanboy and quoting a well know person in the gaming sphere that actually has connections within the industry.

Can we please remain objective here? I get there is controversy around the dude, but that does not relate to the information he provided.

No. No conversation that involves Colin Moriarty should have any legitimacy attached to it. If you actually believe in what he says and you see him as a source of info that's your choice but I'll just ignore you.

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
No. No conversation that involves Colin Moriarty should have any legitimacy attached to it. If you actually believe in what he says and you see him as a source of info that's your choice but I'll just ignore you.
You'll ignore me? That seems pretty over the top, especially just over one discussion.That's like me disagreeing with someone once and then me immediately blocking them.
You do you I guess! I've done nothing that warrants being treated like I'm lesser than you.:)

Also, as I've said time and time again. Tripwire might be a great get for Microsoft. They have some stellar veteran talent and the Killing Floor series has been a good substitute for L4D in recent years!

Edited for Tripwire news.

Last edited:

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Xcloud is another option.

Xcloud = Mobile
Xbox = Console
Windows 10 = PC

They don't need other consoles.
Xcloud is for more than just mobile, right? I thought the plan was to allow console quality games to be streamed to PC and Mobile.
Whether or not that comes to other consoles is too early to tell imo. Remember, not long ago so many of us believed Game Pass was coming to Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Xcloud is for more than just mobile, right? I thought the plan was to allow console quality games to be streamed to PC and Mobile.
Whether or not that comes to other consoles is too early to tell imo. Remember, not long ago so many of us believed Game Pass was coming to Switch.

Primarily on Mobile. But yes, PC and Console too, or even TVs.

Other consoles are now just other options for them too. Nothing is closed off anymore. That's what Phil means when he says all in on gaming.

Games like Minecraft or other future games ( Already in development ) from future acquisition will remain multiplatform.
That's what Booty said.
You're not getting Halo Infinite day one on Playstation or Switch.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Primarily on Mobile. But yes, PC and Console too, or even TVs.

Games like Minecraft or other future games ( Already in development ) from future acquisition will remain multiplatform.
That's what Booty said.
You're not getting Halo Infinite day one on Playstation or Switch.
Well no, not Day One of course.

CRZYSPZ

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Okay, last time I post something about Tripwire for a while, but with news that they are having financial issues (at least enough to support KF2 through paid weapons), I decided to look more into what Tripwire Interactive does as a whole.

Not only do they develop their owns games, but they also help publish other independent games too (reminds me of Double Fine). They seem to also do a decent amount of work-for-hire projects too (reminds me of Ninja Theory).

In case you were interested in reading their company write-up...:

I truly believe a team that has quite a bit of experience with releasing online focused games with constant content updates could really benefit from being an XGS developer and I think that they could definitely bring a lot of value to the brand and Game Pass.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly none of this shit matters big picture. Which games will eventually be ported to PlayStation? Will PlayStation owners someday be able to pay full price for Psychonauts 3? If they can...and it leads to a more robust gaming division that keeps investing in games that all go to Game Pass....great!

Will Game Pass survive?
Will I continue to be able to play most games with the Elite controller?
Will the Scarlett be optimized?
Will my existing library continue to be supported and enhanced on new hardware?

When you consider that Xcloud has a much lower barrier to entry than any existing or next gen console, who fucking cares? Exclusives games don't exist on Xbox. It's not the selling point anymore. They've been telling you this for years.

If Colin was right and Microsoft tried porting MCC...that sounds pretty fucking smart actually. How many Xbox's are they selling over MCC today? Make that revenue. Keep investing.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
xCloud is primarily focused on mobile, tablet, and PC but I'm certain if Sony or Nintendo would allow that service and Game Pass on their console, MS would bd happy to put it there. As far as native ports of First Party, the vast majority will only be available on Xbox and PC barring exceptions where they've decided to keep an IP that started multiplatform to remain that way due to it's success, or where an IP makes sense for a specific platform like the portable, family friendly centric Switch. Although to date we still have yet to have the second example happening, despite MS allowing Studio MDHR to self publish Cuphead on Switch and rumors of Ori and the Blind Forest getting a port to Switch.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
When did they say that?

This is exactly the headline that Xbox doesn't need. I was talking about that 'Xbox will port games anywhere if you wait long enough' narrative a week ago or so. It would be dangerous if people really expect this. And then quotes get taken out of context, too... Bleeding Edge, Wasteland 1 and The Bard's Tale Trilogy are not the biggest titles in the universe, but will all be Xbox exclusives, for instance. I'm also still not sure if porting Cuphead, Super Lucky's Tale or possibly Ori really is a good idea for the Xbox brand (not consumers). Those titles maybe do not ship consoles alone but they were very nice exclusives, two of them top tier actually.

On another note: I'm playing through Gears 1-4 to prepare for 5. It's my first time and while it's a bit much to play them all after another, I'm greatly enjoying my time. Can already sense how much the AI has improved in Gears 2. World and characters are also fleshed out more in the second game. It's still a game made for the gameplay, and hell, it's good!

Last edited:

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how is gameinformer's editor thinking when they find out their interview with Matt Booty being twisted by IGN this bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.