• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2018
I think some outlets (voluntarily, of course) misinterpret Matt's words when it's pretty clezr to me thay are saying that any game releasing on other platforms won't be a big one (Super Lucky's, maybe Battletoads...) but the big ones will be exclusive
Also, even those games, to be on other systems will be likely mandated to have cross-play, Xbox Live integration...
So maybe on Nintendo, Sony I have a hard time thinking will agree to that (as seen with Minecraft and thus their version is the "inferior" with less updates etc...) unless they are forced to accept it because one of those smaller games explodes in popularity
He can't say "no, all our games will be on Xbox only" because it goes against what they've been doing and the philosophy the seem to pursue, wich is making their games as readily available to anyone that wants to play them.
And that said, mobile, PC and Xbox also counts as different platforms, not necessarily competing consoles

Jan 4, 2018
It's a shame the "toxic culture at MS" thread, previously known as Gamespot's article on Phil's thread went silent now that I finally decided to join in.
I was curious about what some would have to say about what I posted

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
So doing a rough calculation in my head for potential 2020 Xbox releases (all game pass) :

Halo Infinite
Ori 2
Bleeding Edge
Flight Simulator
Forza 8
Battletoads
Gears Tactics
Psychonaughts 2
Minecraft Dungeons
AOE2 DE

E3 Possible Reveals:

New KI
New Mech Assault
Fable Reboot
AOE4
Halo Wars 3
Obsidian unannounced project*
Inxile unannounced project*
Ninja Theory unannounced project*
Rare unannounced project*
Cumpulsion Games unannounced project*

Japanese studio aquisition

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
So doing a rough calculation in my head for potential 2020 Xbox releases (all game pass) :

Halo Infinite
Ori 2
Bleeding Edge
Flight Simulator
Forza 8
Battletoads
Gears Tactics
Psychonaughts 2
Minecraft Dungeons
AOE2 DE

E3 Possible Reveals:

New KI
New Mech Assault
Fable Reboot
AOE4
Halo Wars 3

Wasteland 3 is also coming next year.
And I have doubts about Forza and FlightSim.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I think some outlets (voluntarily, of course) misinterpret Matt's words when it's pretty clezr to me thay are saying that any game releasing on other platforms won't be a big one (Super Lucky's, maybe Battletoads...) but the big ones will be exclusive
Super Lucky's Tale on Switch is self-published and has nothing to do with what Xbox does or doesn't allow for.

It's comparable to Dead Rising 4 (published by Xbox on XBO, not published by Xbox on PS4).

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Halo Infinite
Ori 2
Bleeding Edge
Flight Simulator
Forza 8
Battletoads
Gears Tactics
Psychonaughts 2
Minecraft Dungeons
AOE2 DE

E3 Possible Reveals:

New KI
New Mech Assault
Fable Reboot
AOE4
Halo Wars 3

I hope they get a good Japanese studio.

Jan 4, 2018
Super Lucky's Tale on Switch is self-published and has nothing to do with what Xbox does or doesn't allow for.

It's comparable to Dead Rising 4 (published by Xbox on XBO, not published by Xbox on PS4).
Yeah I wasn't talking about the game's case in particular, more like giving an example of what kinds of games I think are more likely to go to other platforms

Aug 26, 2018

Halo Infinite
Ori 2
Bleeding Edge
Flight Simulator
Forza 8
Battletoads
Gears Tactics
Psychonaughts 2
Minecraft Dungeons
AOE2 DE

E3 Possible Reveals:

New KI
New Mech Assault
Fable Reboot
AOE4
Halo Wars 3

Actually worried about the Launch lineup, only Halo Infinite can sell consoles from that list. They need FH5 instead of FH8 and another BIG reveal, atleast 3 console sellers in the first 6 months.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Actually worried about the Launch lineup, only Halo Infinite can sell consoles from that list. They need FH5 instead of FH8 and another BIG reveal, atleast 3 console sellers in the first 6 months.

I think Halo Infinite and Forza 8 is a fantastic launch lineup. How often do you get major releases at launch? Right there you have two tent-pole franchises on launch day.

Aug 26, 2018
I think Halo Infinite and Forza 8 is a fantastic launch lineup. How often do you get major releases at launch? Right there you have two tent-pole franchises on launch day.

I am not sure FM8 is 2020 locked in based on comments from Turn 10 and how they want to take their time. I have also been a big advocate of having FH5 before FM8 for the launch because of how big FH franchise is in Europe.

Imagine you are looking for a new console at 499$ in Fall 2020 and you have a Halo Infinite/FH5/Cyberpunk/Battlefield Bundle, you will sell so many consoles, its going to be a great start.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hope Halo is like on the same day as the console. And not like in october and then a month later the console.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure FM8 is 2020 locked in based on comments from Turn 10 and how they want to take their time. I have also been a big advocate of having FH5 before FM8 for the launch because of how big FH franchise is in Europe.

Imagine you are looking for a new console at 499$ in Fall 2020 and you have a Halo Infinite/FH5/Cyberpunk/Battlefield Bundle, you will sell so many consoles, its going to be a great start.

Oh I agree that Horizon makes a far bigger impact but I think it needs a greater than two year break for real evolution to the franchise.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As for Forza, It needs a solid break so they can do something massive. For Scarlett launch, even a FH4 at 60 would be massive. FH5 would feel a bit rushed tbh.

Jun 22, 2018
As for Forza, It needs a solid break so they can do something massive. For Scarlett launch, even a FH4 at 60 would be massive. FH5 would feel a bit rushed tbh.
Each Forza Horizon game has been made in ~2 years. Releasing 5 in 2020 would just follow the same pattern.

I don't doubt it could benefit from more time, but FH2, FH3, and FH4 didn't feel rushed and they took the same 2 years. I don't think a FH5 in 2020 would feel rushed.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think FH5 needs to have any significant changes yet. It should definitely be a launch title. The next one they can take all the time they need.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
FH5 doesn't need an revolution or anything. The gameplay formula has been proven incredibly fun and successful. New location, a few new key features and you have another hit. I feel like people demanding huge changes to FH don't really play the series. FH is more successful than ever. Also it's not like FH doesn't evolve already from game to game. The seasons feature in FH4 alone is huge and something no other racing game does in this scope.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
FH5 doesn't need an revolution or anything. The gameplay formula has been proven incredibly fun and successful. New location, a few new key features and you have another hit. I feel like people demanding huge changes to FH don't really play the series. FH is more successful than ever. Also it's not like FH doesn't evolve already from game to game. The seasons feature in FH4 alone is huge and something no other racing game does in this scope.
I know people are really excited at the possibility of it being Japan, but I think Forza Horizon is headed to South America, personally.

Unless, the "leaked" concept art we thought was for Forza Horizon 4 was actually for Forza Horizon 5.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
You don't see horizon 5 before 2022? They did 4 in only 2 years and it was their best game. Now they need double the time?
They dont "need" it, but it would certainly help the game be even better.
Especially since. 4 is being supported post launch unlike the prior entries in the series.

Each Forza Horizon game has been made in ~2 years. Releasing 5 in 2020 would just follow the same pattern.

I don't doubt it could benefit from more time, but FH2, FH3, and FH4 didn't feel rushed and they took the same 2 years. I don't think a FH5 in 2020 would feel rushed.
Honestly, IMO, Horizon 2 did feel rushed, felt like a step back from the first game.

Edit: Horizon 4 sku for Scarlet, 4K 60fps at launch is what I see to be more likely.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

this!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Also Playground keeps surprising us with each game. Before 4 we were also like. What can they do now after the great FH3?
Then they added seasons. If they will release. We need to be confident in them.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Frankie dismissed that rumour on here as absolute nonsense with no truth to it whatsoever.

Anyway, I know this is a bit old news but it's a really good profile of The Initiative with a great rundown of all the hires they have made do far.

I'm a Halo fanboy, love me some Forza and can't wait to see what PG2 have been working on but my hype is through the roof as to what The Initiative have cooking, it really is the Harlem Globe Trotters of game studios.

Edit, would help if i actually included the source material lol

All your talent are belong to us

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Not one part of this seems likely or realistic.

A MP beta in the lead up to release would make sense, but it'll be very controlled and on short cycles.

There's not a chance a world class team like The Initiative will have their game on Game Preview. I wouldn't expect any first parry studio to do that. Some of them joined Microsoft to avoid having to resort to doing that. I imagine it's a "never again" kinda thing for Compulsion.

Initiative will have all the pomp and fair of a huge AAA title and then some in the lead up to their first game.

I don't know what they're making, neither do you. I have no interest in a MP only title but I don't know what they're doing, ms got plenty of things going on and have game pass and Xbox game preview, if they wanted assistance during development, I could see them putting it out there in preview and expanding it, the same with any of their studios if it fit what they were doing.

Plenty of people have speculated what they're doing but no one knows.

I think Compulsions issue was that they had to do it for the progress of the game, I can see Devs choosing to do it, if the sort of game they're making fits that style of release.

I merely presented a specific scenario that I could envisage if the ducks lined up. It does depend on what exactly they're actually making, which should be obvious

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the xbox page got bit updated for Gears 5

Xbox One S bundle

a866148a-0c10-47f0-b0f3-9f8bd96f74b1.png

Some interesting tidbits in this.

Kait Diaz
Kait was born and raised beyond the COG's formal jurisdiction. Her mother, Reyna, was the leader of her isolated Outsider village. Yet Kait also has deep family ties to the COG: her late father was a widely admired lieutenant colonel during the Pendulum Wars and her uncle, Oscar, was a highly decorated frontline Gear in the early years of the Locust War. Even after her induction into the COG, her true loyalties are unknown, even to her.

JD Fenix
The son of Marcus Fenix and Anya Stroud, JD grew up surrounded by stories of his war-hero parents. Unfortunately, an incident at Settlement 2 left JD deeply disillusioned with the COG, after which he and his best friend, Del, went AWOL and joined an Outsider village. After helping to fight back the Swarm's initial push, JD has once again attracted the interest of First Minister Jinn, much to his father's and friends' dismay.

Del Walker
Del lost both his parents in the difficult aftermath of the Locust War and was siphoned into a boarding school, where he met JD Fenix. As a young officer, Del was part of a disastrous mission at the COG's Settlement 2, which shattered his faith in First Minister Jinn's government. Although Del recognizes the need to fight with the COG in the aftermath of the Swarm's emergence, he is not necessarily thrilled to be doing so—and he is wholly unprepared to learn details about the Settlement 2 incident that JD has kept from him.

Marcus Fenix
After the Locust War, Marcus played a limited role in the COG, even though his wife, Anya, initially led the government. After Anya's death, it became clear that the COG would favor authoritarian control over civic-minded rebuilding. Now that he and JD have been reunited, Marcus finds himself once again fighting for the COG, but his frustrations with authority, and conflicts with his son, remain ever present.

untitleddpkez.png

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
They dont "need" it, but it would certainly help the game be even better.
Especially since. 4 is being supported post launch unlike the prior entries in the series.

Honestly, IMO, Horizon 2 did feel rushed, felt like a step back from the first game.

Edit: Horizon 4 sku for Scarlet, 4K 60fps at launch is what I see to be more likely.
Horizon 3 had a ton of post launch dlc. Blizzard mountain, hot wheels.

FH3 was great on 2 yr dev time. Sold like crazy. Fh4 came out after 2 years even though 3 got plenty of dlc. No one has given me 1 real reason why fh5 won't come out in 2020.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Are we actually going to find out why JD and Del deserted in Gears 5, then? I remember TC talking about that before 4's release, but then it was never covered. Kinda seemed like it was intended to be an important event in their lives.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Are we actually going to find out why JD and Del deserted in Gears 5, then? I remember TC talking about that before 4's release, but then it was never covered. Kinda seemed like it was intended to be an important event in their lives.
Del and JD Did Mission to investigate the locust cemetery under Jinn Order and that didn't go well yet i still don't know what happen in Act 3 but perhaps that mission cause his infection and maybe he and distance himself from Del

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Hopefully, since they don't mention it in the new book, either. When Jinn offers them her ultimatum, it's glossed over, but apparently bad enough that she'd otherwise throw them in jail.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Frankly, I would prefer if FH5 introduced some significant changes, simply because it's going to be on new hardware that's going to make new things possible. Foza Horizon 2, the first game on the current gen Xbox, introduced some gigantic changes with its cross country races and the ability to drive anywhere, Drivatars, and dynamic weather, in addition to some smaller things. That said, I'm not sure how Playground could significantly improve the formula at this point, but that's for them to figure out.

EDIT: Wait, there's one thing that I would really love to see on Scarlett, even though it's just a cosmetic improvement - smooth transitions for global shadows, no more distracting ticks, please.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017
Frankly, I would prefer if FH5 introduced some significant changes, simply because it's going to be on new hardware that's going to make new things possible. Foza Horizon 2, the first game on the current gen Xbox, introduced some gigantic changes with its cross country races and the ability to drive anywhere, Drivatars, and dynamic weather, in addition to some smaller things. That said, I'm not sure how Playground could significantly improve the formula at this point, but that's for them to figure out.

EDIT: Wait, there's one thing that I would really love to see on Scarlett, even though it's just a cosmetic improvement - smooth transitions for global shadows, no more distracting ticks, please.
I agree it needs to be significant or it will hurt the franchise I disagree with klob

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Del and JD Did Mission to investigate the locust cemetery under Jinn Order and that didn't go well yet i still don't know what happen in Act 3 but perhaps that mission cause his infection and maybe he and distance himself from Del
No, that settlement 2 mission was BEFORE Gears 4, they mentioned it but was never impotant to the plot, until now, for me it was like that Budapest mission between Barton and Natasha in The Avengers.
But maybe that will play a bigger role, i imagine something like The COG letting outsiders to die or something like that.
That would be a very good prologue mission, i was expecting a mission with Del and JD in the Gears academy, meeting Kait inside the faculty when she tries yo steal something, but Settlement 2 mission sounds better.

tombo85

Oct 25, 2017
My One X died last week. Trying to figure out if I should buy a $399 Fallout 76 bundle or wait to see what Gamescom brings.

Nov 23, 2018
Does Xbox Game Studios benefit from adding only 1 Japanese studio?

2-3 would create a hub and a more efficient, connected relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.